HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Your Draft Grades

Old
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
For me Hudon's the only guy I don't have some real optimism for. Nystrom''s a long shot, obviously, but a good one. Vail seems like a solid late pick as well.

I was already excited about Collberg and I like the looks of Thrower (not counting on him to be any kind of elite player in the NHL, but love what he brings to the org.) The guy I'm really warming up to is Bozon. Read some excerpts from his father, one of the very few players to make it to the NHL from France. He's now coaching in the Swiss league, I believe, and he was saying exactly the right things about his kid: getting drafted is great, getting a contract is great, but he has a ton of work to do in the next two years if he's going to make the NHL. That's an attitude I really like to see: not what he deserves, not how good he is, how much work he's going to have to do.

Guy could be a steal. He looks to be well suited for the NA game, scored a point a game as a WHL rookie, like Beaulieu he has a coach for a father... no guarantees but honestly I'm surprised he was still around in the third round. Then again when you're picking so early in each round, it's not shocking that Collberg feels like a late first round pick, and Bozon feels like a late second. They both barely slipped out of the round above.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
johnnyboo

A++

We get 4 guys that were rated first rounders,,

check out the http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...inal-rankings/ they had:

4. Galchenyuk
10. Collberg
16. Thrower
23. Bozon

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One thing I know about the draft. And again, it's an incredible draft. But Hudon won't be the best 5th rounder of this draft. They had to think that the kid was awful, but I really don't understand the non-selection of François Tremblay. You needed a goalie....and somehow a Q product...you get both in 1 pick.

Hudon didn't progress in his 2nd year so on top of not liking what I saw a player, just that stats is a big no-no usually. Usually means that the kid has reached his ceiling.

So I don't get that pick. And I don't know Nystrom. Which for me means A-. Don't remember giving such a high praise to a Timmins draft.
My only opinion is they must have thought Tremblay is not a pro level goalie.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
A++

We get 4 guys that were rated first rounders,,

check out the http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...inal-rankings/ they had:

4. Galchenyuk
10. Collberg
16. Thrower
23. Bozon

That site also has a nice collection of links to other draft rankings. The Habs had a home run draft no matter which one you look at:

The Hockey Writers = 4 1st rounders (Didn't list past 30)
ISS = 3 First rounders, 2 seconds
Future Considerations = 3 first rounders (Didn't list past 30)
McKenzie= 2 first rounders, 3 seconds.
Button = 2 first rounders, 2 seconds
NHL Consensus = 2 first rounders, 3 seconds
Hockey Prospectus= 3 first rounders, 1 second
The Scouting Report= 2 first rounders, 3 seconds.

Everyone pretty much had Collberg in the first round. Thrower and Bozon were generally seen as late first thru late second round picks (Thrower ranged from 16-57, Bozon from 23-52 and Button didn't have him). Vail, interestingly, was in the 40s on 4 separate lists.

Incredible results. Even if they all bust, for the moment you have to feel good about the upside of this group of prospects.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
No need to worry. Montreal is not in a situation yet where it is a major deal. Having one good goalie prospect would be nice right now but if not, they can wait for next draft to pick up two. Timmins likely had little faith in the goalie prospects this year aside from the big two.

Seeing as he's the guy who drafted Price and Halak I think Montreal should trust his judgment on when and when not to draft a goalie Of course, there's also Missasien (sp?) but he was from Chatham. Mistake from the start
Sorry but it's always a major deal. Who thought in here that Theodore was about to leave after his Hart and Vezina trophy? We like Price. We think the world of him. But what if he fails in the upcoming playoffs. As far as we know, and while we ALL think he'll deliver, NOBODY can say that Price showed some great things during the playoffs yet. Nobody. We expect he will. He did show some good things. But he wasn't there when we reached the 3rd round. And while he wasn't an incredibly bad goalie in his other outings, he wasn't stealing the show either. Yes, I know, put Price in LA and he wins the Cup and all. Maybe. Probably. But we don't know that for sure. So you need to be prepare just in case. If we needed to be prepare while we had a Hart and Vezina winner in our ranks, not sure why we can't be prepared with Price as well as much as we think he's great. And we never know.....if we didn't draft Halak....did we see the 3rd round? So we did draft a goalie to support Price even if at the time, we didn't know he would be as good.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
My only opinion is they must have thought Tremblay is not a pro level goalie.
Obviously, that's what they thought. They had no interest from goalies in the Q but which is a little surprising...geez...is there any place for somebody else in management? Grab an ex-goalie who has a good eye for future goalie prospects. This is a position like no other, really different. We should have a guy in charge for amateur scouting to seek the different goalies available....but I'm stretching....I know.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:03 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Obviously, that's what they thought. They had no interest from goalies in the Q but which is a little surprising...geez...is there any place for somebody else in management? Grab an ex-goalie who has a good eye for future goalie prospects. This is a position like no other, really different. We should have a guy in charge for amateur scouting to seek the different goalies available....but I'm stretching....I know.
We used to be the best at identifying goalies. Lately, we have stayed away from the position and we went goalie, we took Simila and Missiaen. Signed Mayer.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
We used to be the best at identifying goalies. Lately, we have stayed away from the position and we went goalie, we took Simila and Missiaen. Signed Mayer.
Draft Lacasse....re-signed Lacasse....

Old
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Forsead

What I like about alot of the guys Habs picked up in this draft is the fact that their weakness and concerns are things that aren't too hard to improve.

Galchenyuk : playing time due to his injury, next year he will probably still play in juniors to help him.

Collberg : Strenght and power, time at the gym and maybe 1 inch gain in height will do the job.

Bozon : Time at the gym.

Hudon : Strenght power, so gym time for him, but also skating issue which is something they can work with him. I could see the guy getting to 6'0 he look so young even for his age.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:21 PM
leefuyoung

Galchenyuk Collberg Thrower Bozon Vail Hudon Nystrom
Draft Position 3 33 51 64 94 122
Draft Consensus 3 13 36 52 45 55
(nhlnumbers)

TSN 5 27 39 50 60
Hockey News 7 14 29 43 58
Buttons 4 27 52 40
Hockey Writers 4 15 16 27 68 51
Scouting Report 3 17 45 43 47 59
Dobber Hockey 2 16 48 51 42
Sonier 7 15 45
ISS 14 13 28 40 48
Hockey Prospectus 3 11 57 26 85 34
Win Shares 7 9 86 57 60 13

Average 6 16 44 42 55 39

NHLnumbers compiled consensus rankings based on a number of sources. I've added a few other sources for rankings. NHLnumbers consensus ranked Montreal's first 6 picks in the second round. Collberg and Vail especially seem to be good value.

Galchenyuk - value meets need - A
Collberg - maybe not a need but the best value at that spot - A+
Thrower - likely the best dman value at that spot - A
Bozon - a skinny swiss kid who came over scored a pt/g as a rookie in the whl. I see a lot of upside. A+
Vial - low ceiling but probably the most likely to make the nhl behind Galchenyuk. great value pick. A+
Hudon - sounds like Corey Locke - good value though - B+
Nystrom - same age and size as Collberg but has better stats in both the swedish junior and elite league. Yet he was taken 120 spots behind Collberg. Sounds like a sleeper. A

Overall - A
Great value at all selections. Seems like a draft where they actually did take the best player available.

leefuyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
But we could have picked Whitney in the 6th. This kid could be something else. I guess the future will tell us.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
wedge

I would have liked Whitney as a goalie in the 7th, but that's it. Awesome draft.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Duff88

A+ for me. I'm not someone who usually over-reacts, and I know we're merely a few days past the draft, but I'm very optimistic about this class.

They nearly came away with the best combination of my top ranked players possible. Only thing better would have been to pick Brandon Whitney up at some point. Heck, they got 6 guys out of my top 44!

3. Alex Galchenyuk
13. Sebastian Collberg
19. Tim Bozon
23. Brady Vail
28. Dalton Thrower
44. Charles Hudon

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

While Carey Price could get injured/start contractual disputes/retire to become a professional cowboy, right now, goalies are not an emergency. I'd like them to start drafting them in two or three years, to prepare Price's replacement--considering goalies can take so long to develop--but right, Carey is turning 25 in August and he is most likely our goalie for at least the next 5 years.

Again, sure, some insurance would be nice. But if you can get guys like Bozon, Collberg, etc. instead, you go for it. Hopefully they can find another option on the FA market that's better than Mayer... Maybe invite some undrafted guys to the next evaluation camp.

EDIT: May as well stay on topic!

Loved this draft as soon as Friday evening. I must say, I haven't watched most of these guys, so I'm not a very credible judge of talent. But I've read a lot on them, I've been following this draft (on paper) very carefully, and I'm very happy with the selections made. Next year will be a much more exciting season for all of us, as we'll be able to not only enjoy Canadiens' hockey, but also follow our young guys in junior (it will be a much more interesting group of players than in previous years).

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Was really hoping we'd swing a deal and catch TT as well. I like the players we got, but I am also very interested in quality. Glad we got galchenyuk but hopefully in strong draft next year we can get more quality prospects. Not saying current ones aren't, but there's a difference between say Galchenyuk and others obviously. I remember when Philly had 2 first rounders and got Richards and Carter. Was cornerstone of franchise and even got them good returns. I want quality now.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Galchenyuk - A+
Collberg - A+
Thrower - A
Bozon - A
Vail - B
Hudon - C+
Nystrom - C+ (for the reason that I don't know much about him)

Old
06-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Fern

I'm from Victoriaville and I would like to see the Canadiens take a chance on Whitney but I have to say that the guy has been drafted because he is 6'5'' as is premium asset and because he has some talent after that. If the guy was 6' -6'1'' he wouldn't have been drafted at all. He was second to Honzik this season and faced lower competition. I have to say that when the Tigres needed him the most because of Honzik's poor play, he chocked big time. So I would have been happy with him but not mad at all that we didn't take him. But at the end, I really wish the guy the best for his future as a hockey player.

Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Relative to ranking :

Galchenyuk : A
Collberg : A+ (should have been gone 10 ranks before)
Thrower : A++ (should have been gone 25 ranks before)
Bozon : A (In range, but should really have been gone)
Vail : A- (In range, can't think of a better value at this point, and great pick since he's something of a safe bet. Was Roy gone?)
Hudon : A (Should have been gone since 1 round, logical round to be drafted was third, and should have been picked before Mallet, who might be bigger, but IMO has BARELY the skill of an AHL'er)
Nystrom : B (Nothing against the guy -- would have liked a goalie, though)

That's an A+ draft to me.
Pretty much agree with this. I can only base it on rankings as I haven't seen these guys play... but everything that I read said that Thrower was probably a late first rounder and for us to get him in the third round is absolutely stupid.

Having a high draft position helps immensely. There's no way we land some of those later picks without having the position we did.

Very happy with Galchenyuk (was hoping Timmins would find him to be healthy enough to pick) but would've been fine with Grigorenko too. I have a feeling that this is going to be a huge draft for us. Here's hoping we finally have a legit number one center at long last.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Was really hoping we'd swing a deal and catch TT as well. I like the players we got, but I am also very interested in quality. Glad we got galchenyuk but hopefully in strong draft next year we can get more quality prospects. Not saying current ones aren't, but there's a difference between say Galchenyuk and others obviously. I remember when Philly had 2 first rounders and got Richards and Carter. Was cornerstone of franchise and even got them good returns. I want quality now.
And i remember in 2007 when montreal had 2 first round picks and took mcdonaugh and pacioretty

and this year we get galchenyuk and then collberg at 33, essentially 2 first rounders that bolt to 1-2 in our entire system, thats saying something (how collberg didnt get picked between 20 and 32 is completely ridiculous to me , i literaly think all the teams forgot him)
i would LOVE to see collberg on galchenyuks wing, and hope we get to see it in training camp, i hope they click RIGHT away, hell stick bozon on that line too and watch em (hopefully) light it up!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote