HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Dallas Stars 2012 Draft Scouting Reports

Old
06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
I would normally agree with you, and I know they aren't supposed to be seen as negatives, but unless we're talking about a very talented first rounder 'two-way' indicates to me that the player doesn't have a ton of offensive skill. If a guy slipped past the first round and he's good both ways on draft day either no one saw him play or he's more than likely a 3rd or 4th liner with 20-40 point upside with an outside chance of being better. In scouting report speak, two way is somewhere after 'sweet sweet point gathering skills' and before 'hey look a 17 year old athlete that needs to bulk up'.

Clearly many guys do make huge leaps in development all the time, and the Stars are pretty exceptional at making those picks in later rounds, but it does worry me if it's the main attribute in a lot of our draftees. Two-way play is a great thing, but is often used to cover up offensive deficiencies on draft day IMO.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Brock

Some more stuff on Faksa and Gemel Smith for you.

I had Faksa rated 5th among OHL players. Smith was 16th. Here's what I wrote about them.

It's damn close for me between Faksa and Brendan Gaunce as the 3rd best forward available from the OHL. I gave the nod to Faksa because I think he has a bit higher upside due to his edge in skating ability and skill with the puck off the rush. The thing about Faksa is that he's big, but he's also got an explosive first few steps and is surprisingly agile for a big man. He plays off the rush very effectively and is a terrific puck handler. He's just a solid all around offensive player. He's got a great shot which is very accurate, but can also find teammates at top speed. At times I've found him to be a little drive happy and predictable, but his ability to use his teammates is something I expect to develop with time. Faksa is an aggressive player away from the puck and is tenacious along the boards at both ends of the ice. He's particularly very intelligent defensively in his own end and reads the play exceptionally well. His defensive anticipation is terrific and the best of any OHL forward available for this draft. He had some injury issues down the stretch and into the playoffs and didn't look great, which could be a bit concerning. It's possible that he just got worn down in his first OHL season though. The key for Faksa will probably be the development of his physical game. It can be inconsistent. That isn't to say his effort is inconsistent; just his physical aggressiveness with and without the puck. I'd like to see him develop more of a mean streak to match his size, skating and skill combination. It would make him just that much more of an effective player at both ends of the ice at the next level. People always ask me how Faksa and Landeskog compare as players. And that's the big thing that separates them; physicality.

Wind him up and let him go. Gemel Smith is like the energizer bunny. He plays with tons of energy and is an aggressive player in all three zones. His best asset is his high end speed and acceleration. He won the fastest skater event at the Top Prospect's Game, and this would have surprised no one who sees him play regularly. He uses his speed to create turnovers on the forecheck, to take the puck hard to the net, and to crash the crease for loose pucks. While Smith is undersized, he's also a very effective player along the boards because of how he keeps his feet moving. He simply outhustles the opposition instead of outmuscling them. He also uses that explosive acceleration to separate himself from the opposition and can be especially effective coming away from the boards. Smith's vision and playmaking ability is also underrated. While he creates a lot of offense from his hustle, he is also intelligent and patient with the puck and is a very good passer. I love how versatile he is as a player. He stepped right into a shutdown defensive type role at the Under 18's and looked solid. The key to his progression will be added strength. As he gets stronger, he'll be even more effective offensively, especially in taking the puck to the net. Added strength will also improve his shot and make him more of a goal scoring threat coming down the wing. Like any guy hovering around that 5'10/5'11 mark, he's going to face questions about his durability moving forward to the NHL level. This is especially true considering the style of play he utilizes.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:22 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Thank you Brock. I added your post to the reports.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:55 PM
BigG44

Finally found info on the 7th round pick:

Quote:
Well here is the USHR article about the new Russian defenseman. Wild story.

Here’s something rarer than hens’ teeth: today, a ’94 will enroll as a freshman at an NCAA school. Not only will he be the only ‘94 in Div. I college hockey this season (though there are a few late ‘93s), but last season he was a midget minor – and he hasn’t played since. Not in an official game, anyway.

That’s quite a jump: U16s to Hockey East.

The player’s name is Dima Sinitsyn and he’s a 6’2”, 190 lb. defenseman from Moscow, Russia. He arrived at Logan Airport from his native Moscow, Russia Friday and, after going through the enrollment process today, will begin practicing with the UMass-Lowell River Hawks immediately. When Norm Bazin and his staff at UMass-Lowell feel Sinitsyn is ready, he will be put in the lineup.

Sinitsyn’s last official game came late last March when, as a member of the Dallas Stars U16 Team, he played in Nationals. With the Stars, Sinitsyn was the team’s leading scorer – and not just from the blueline, but overall. In 36 Tier I Elite League games, he posted an 11-20-31 line with 18 pims.

Excellent with the puck, Sinitsyn is a strong skater with size, has obvious offensive skills, and also really likes to step up and hit guys. An NHL scout we spoke with who saw him in U16 play last season believes Sinitsyn, a 6/17/94 birthdate, to be a strong candidate for this June’s NHL draft.

Sinitsyn’s road to Lowell has been very unusual, to put it mildly. If you’re looking to connect the dots, look to Colorado College. Sinitsyn was taken in last spring’s USHL Draft by the Green Bay Gamblers, whose coach/GM at the time was Eric Rud, a Colorado College alum now back at alma mater for his second stint as an assistant. In the transfer between Rud and current Gamblers head coach Derek Lalonde, Sinitsyn, who had a very strong camp this summer and expected to play for the Gamblers this season, got caught in a numbers game when, due to various circumstances, Green Bay found themselves with more imports than allowed. Lalonde worked out a trade for Sinitsyn with the Sioux Falls Stampede but the deal fell through when the big defenseman was unable to get a visa. (His student visa had run out when he graduated from high school in Dallas last spring.)

Rud returned to Colorado College over the summer, taking the place of Jason Lammers. Lammers moved on to take an assistant’s position at Lowell. And, of course, Bazin is a former Colorado College assistant himself.

Lammers realized that the only way Sinitsyn was going to play hockey in the US this season was on a student visa, and he really worked that angle hard. It helped that Sinitsyn’s mother is a teacher of English and that she was determined that her son to go to college in the United States. And both she and her son stuck with the plan even though Sinitsyn had to cool his heels all fall in Russia while waiting to find out when he could get his visa and leave for North America. After a lot of back and forth with the US Consulate in Moscow, Sinitsyn got his visa last week -- and made a beeline for the next plane to Boston.
Quote:
Wilson is going to be a stud. And from what we’ve heard, so will big and skilled Russian defenseman Dima Sinitsyn, who turns 18 next month and spent the last two months with the team as a red-shirt.
One of Bazin’s concerns may be keeping talents like Wilson and Sinitsyn around for four years without them being lured away early by the NHL. But that’s the price the best programs in Division I hockey have to pay to be the best.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Finally found info on the 7th round pick:
Are they referring to Tom Wilson in the 2nd quote?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
BigG44

This is quote from a forum, and the link is no longer active. I wish I had the whole story from the paper.

Quote:
It took only two practices for UML goaltender Doug Carr to announce that Sinitsyn already as the best shot on the team. Sinitsyn said Carr hasn't seen anything yet.

"I didn't get my sticks yet, so I have to use somebody else's. They're too wimpy," he said. "The part of hockey I care about most is my shot. I can't shoot now, and it frustrates me."

Old
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Are they referring to Tom Wilson in the 2nd quote?
No it was some guy on the team. That sentence was important to flow into his part. I should have just posted the whole thing.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
BigG44

Ok ... that's it on the 7th rounder ... sounds pretty interesting though. UMass-Lowell ... a very good team last year ... jumped through major hoops to secure him. The jump from midget to NCAA is pretty crazy too.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Sounds like we might have quite the steal.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
At least seems like a guy they really wanted, seeing as how they basically traded up in the 7th to get him.

Also seems like he hasnt played in a real game in over a year(if Im reading the article correctly).

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Captain Awesome

That's a whacky story, you don't hear about trading up in the 7th round too often. It's amazing how long of a way the draft has come. The 7th round used to be more useful as a PR pick (the Carle pick Tampa made forever ago) than it was a legitimate point in the draft to grab a prospect.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
DallasStarsfan06

Just a question, has Faksa ever been compared to Martin Hanzal?

DallasStarsfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Yes, but more lower end potential.

Kopitar/Koivu for upper end.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Maybe I just missed it in all the info but how are Faksa's faceoff skills?

Edit: That video in the first post says he compares to Eric Staal (seems a little on the high end offensively to me) but everything people say about him sounds like Jordan Staal. If we end up with a player like Jordan Staal I'll be very happy with that pick.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 06-23-2012 at 11:07 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Ub the Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Read somewhere that was an area where he could improve.

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Jere26

Lindell's English is brilliant in that video on the Stars page
I wouldn't overestimate his pts total as there are some high scoring games in the juniors. But still, not bad for a rookie to lead dmen scoring and winning MVP-award of A-Juniors in his first year. Hopefully we'll see him in SM-Liiga next year, if not with Jokerit, then with someone else. They say his weakness can be considered to be his defensive play.

And oh yes. Two players in our legendary 5th round, one of them a Finnish goalie. Can't go wrong there. He had a good season with a lot of progress according to team officials, but unfortunately, as of now, he'll only be the 3rd goalie for Kalpa next season in the SM-Liiga. Here again, not interested in his stats in that junior league at all, especially while playing for a so-so team.

Here's the thread about some of the Finnish prospects on the Finland board. Absolutely love reading the OP's posts and knows what he's talking about. Some of his thoughts on Lindell and Kiviaho:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1208237

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:57 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere26 View Post
Lindell's English is brilliant in that video on the Stars page
I wouldn't overestimate his pts total as there are some high scoring games in the juniors. But still, not bad for a rookie to lead dmen scoring and winning MVP-award of A-Juniors in his first year. Hopefully we'll see him in SM-Liiga next year, if not with Jokerit, then with someone else. They say his weakness can be considered to be his defensive play.

And oh yes. Two players in our legendary 5th round, one of them a Finnish goalie. Can't go wrong there. He had a good season with a lot of progress according to team officials, but unfortunately, as of now, he'll only be the 3rd goalie for Kalpa next season in the SM-Liiga. Here again, not interested in his stats in that junior league at all, especially while playing for a so-so team.

Here's the thread about some of the Finnish prospects on the Finland board. Absolutely love reading the OP's posts and knows what he's talking about. Some of his thoughts on Lindell and Kiviaho:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1208237
Looking ahead, I want Barkov soooo badly.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Starsdude

The will alot of pressure to take jones if he is there

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
BigG44

I've never heard of ESPN Hockey Insider Grant Sonier so before I post what he said, I'll let you know what I dug up on him.

He coached professional for about 7 years before moving into minor league management for a big. Hockey has been his career for 19 years, but he's most recently been an amateur scout, and even assistant director of amateur scouting for LA) for 6 different NHL teams: Columbus, Florida , Los Angeles, Boston, and Atlanta. So my guess is he wasn't retained by Winnipeg in the move last summer so he latched on at ESPN. He has a long background in hockey though, especially amateur scouting, so you'd think he'd have a good grasp of NHL prospects.

Here's what he had to say about Faksa
:

Quote:
My surprise pick to play next season is Faksa. Dallas puts a premium on hockey sense and skating, and this Czech-born forward continues to improve at a rapid rate. With his smarts, he will learn his craft by playing a strong two-way game, and he can get time on the PK.
Faksa was 1 of only 4 players (Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, and Faksa) who Sonier labled as, "Can Play Next Season."

I doubt it happens, but one NHL scout thinks he could make the jump.

What I'd personally love to see is Dallas to build in a max 1 game played bonus (I think it's about $307.5K right now) to his contract. Then give him at least 1 NHL game before going back to Kitchener.

That would give a big chunk of change to help him and his family out, and a pretty great reward for the hard work and sacrifice that's got him to this point. That + his signing bonus would give him about $400K next season. The only draw back with that move would be his contract would be eligible to slide twice so you'd have to be prepared to pony up that bonus at the beginning of every year for at least 2 years if not 3. However, you could go with a standard contract and no games played bonuses the final two years of the deal.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

400K should be absolutely nothing to Gagliardi, especially for a guy like Faksa. If anyone's earned it, it's him.

I'm surprised he didn't label Ceci as NHL ready.

And as has been said, I wouldn't mind him sticking for the 7-8 game limit before going back.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
The will alot of pressure to take jones if he is there
If those are the three McKinnon, Barkov, and Jones; I won't be so upset to sit 2nd or 3rd in the draft. All three sound amazing at 3 you get whoever's left there's no real controversy and the club is better regardless. 1st overall gives you your choice and that's a good thing but any of the top three spots in 2013 appears right now to land you a special talent.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
At least seems like a guy they really wanted, seeing as how they basically traded up in the 7th to get him.

Also seems like he hasnt played in a real game in over a year(if Im reading the article correctly).
Eliteprospects seems to say he played in the MHL last season for 7 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Not that great at the moment.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I can't see Faksa playing in Dallas next season, even with a stellar preseason. He only has one year in juniors and it would be best for his long term development to get another year in.

Les Jackson said in an interview on the Dallas website that he will be back in Kitchener next year. Things can change but that is the plan.

If Faksa has a really good preseason give him 1-9 games in the NHL (is eight or nine the max I forget). Gets him some time in the NHL, gets acquainted to the team, and it doesn't burn a year on the contract. That is the best possible option in my mind.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
If those are the three McKinnon, Barkov, and Jones; I won't be so upset to sit 2nd or 3rd in the draft. All three sound amazing at 3 you get whoever's left there's no real controversy and the club is better regardless. 1st overall gives you your choice and that's a good thing but any of the top three spots in 2013 appears right now to land you a special talent.
Sounds like with top end talent, this is one of the best drafts in years.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Apparently Shore and Ritchie are friends.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote