DAL trades Ribeiro to WSH for Eakin/2nd round pick in 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'd take the '02-'03 team and the '05-'06 team before the '07-'08 team, personally.
Bench is downplaying how good the 02-03 team is by saying they only beat the Oilers because that team was really ****ing good but happened to come up against the blade saw that was "Jiggy." I would personally rank that team just ahead of the '08 squad because they were really good all season that year and looked poised to do big things in the playoffs. I can give that situation a little grace because they ran into a goalie who was on one the hottest streaks in history, and also because they were really good in the pre-cap era; the good teams from that era would probably lay waste to most of the good teams now.

Anyways, calling someone a liar is a bit much and the reason I bothered to respond. It's hard to lie when the topic is subjective. There's no way that the 05-06 team should be in this discussion.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Bench is downplaying how good the 02-03 team is by saying they only beat the Oilers because that team was really ****ing good but happened to come up against the blade saw that was "Jiggy." I would personally rank that team just ahead of the '08 squad because they were really good all season that year and looked poised to do big things in the playoffs. I can give that situation a little grace because they ran into a goalie who was on one the hottest streaks in history, and also because they were really good in the pre-cap era; the good teams from that era would probably lay waste to most of the good teams now.

Anyways, calling someone a liar is a bit much and the reason I bothered to respond. It's hard to lie when the topic is subjective. There's no way that the 05-06 team should be in this discussion.
Yea, that was a bit harsh.

It's just we got a bit lucky with that run. Anaheim wasn't the same team that won the cup and it wasn't some big thing to beat them, and everyone knows how bad San Jose was in the playoffs.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:03 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
It's just we got a bit lucky with that run. Anaheim wasn't the same team that won the cup and it wasn't some big thing to beat them, and everyone knows how bad San Jose was in the playoffs.
Those were two very good teams, I don't care how you spin it.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
I'd take the '02-'03 team and the '05-'06 team before the '07-'08 team, personally.
Why 05-06? They got destroyed and humiliated in the playoffs. I can maybe understand if you said 06-07, but 05-06? Seriously?

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
It sure looks that way.

Maybe they don't have much of a choice. With this weak group of UFAs and the CBA uncertainty, maybe they are going to take a pass on the next season just like they had to with this past one.
They don't have a choice.

Either they swing a series of trades that work out perfectly or they'll just have to wait for their draft picks to develop. Unfortunately the only ones worth a damn are a few years away from being good enough to handle the NHL and in the meantime there's no UFA help in sight.

It's a sticky wicket.

The real hope is that some of these kids turn out better than expected, mesh as a team, and you could mix in a few exciting playoffs runs. Not likely, but who expected so much from New Jersey this year? Benn and Eriksson still make an outstanding foundation.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Do you guys know if your GM at all talked to West teams about Ribeiro?

Cause he would have been perfect for Hawks as #2 C with Sharp and Hossa

His passes could have been deadly with those 2 on his wing

I know your GM asked for insane value for Grossman when Bowman was inquiring around deadline ,,, Does he not deal with West teams?

If so that is pretty flawed strategy as it limits the options and value of Star players

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:14 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I know your GM asked for insane value for Grossman when Bowman was inquiring around deadline ,,, Does he not deal with West teams?

If so that is pretty flawed strategy as it limits the options and value of Star players
Doesn't seem like it. He puts a premium on getting them out of the West.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:56 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:

I think you've nailed it. He seems uncomfortable with moving these guys west. I think it's illogical and stupid. He doesn't trade Ribs if he thinks this team can compete for a playoff spot so by the time we're ready to compete he's not going to bite you in the ass. I'm sure for Ribs he would have asked for Saad, but at the very least we could have inquired about getting Pirri and a 1st at the draft.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:53 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Seems a bit extreme to not deal within your conference. Division I can understand but taking less value (allegedly) to trade your players out of conference is stupid because the effects long term outweigh those of the short term.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
They don't have a choice.

Either they swing a series of trades that work out perfectly or they'll just have to wait for their draft picks to develop. Unfortunately the only ones worth a damn are a few years away from being good enough to handle the NHL and in the meantime there's no UFA help in sight.

It's a sticky wicket.

The real hope is that some of these kids turn out better than expected, mesh as a team, and you could mix in a few exciting playoffs runs. Not likely, but who expected so much from New Jersey this year? Benn and Eriksson still make an outstanding foundation.
Even if trades like this are better for putting that future foundation in place, it sucks. You're talking about a lost decade for this franchise. As unrealistic as it is, I want Gaglardi's presence to instantly translate into this team being credible again.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Even if trades like this are better for putting that future foundation in place, it sucks. You're talking about a lost decade for this franchise. As unrealistic as it is, I want Gaglardi's presence to instantly translate into this team being credible again.
Considering this is 2012-13 haven't we already lost a decade? Look Joe doesn't want to lose. Gagliardi sure as hell doesn't want an empty barn and terrible team on the ice but options this year may be limited by things beyond their control. Had they been able to start the rebuild while in receivership then we're probably further along but that didn't happen.

Now you've got four veterans who didn't help you win, two with NTCs. One who had pissed off management so bad that they finally said let's be done with it. I would think they could have gotten more but have no clue how they feel about Eakin vs. any other prospect offered. They've still got Ott who has value and the other two who probably don't have much. This UFA crop is flat out terrible. Suter and Parise aren't coming to Dallas to lose, several decent guys have re-uped with their current clubs and the rest are big bunch of blah. Building an immediate winner out of this is darn near impossible.

So you evaluate your farm club to see who can fill a hole. You hope you can pick up a couple of UFAs or salary cap causalities from other clubs, roll with the kids who are ready, take your punches and hopefully are in a much better situation come next season.

The best damn thing that could happen to this franchise would be to just flat out suck get the 1st or 2nd overall pick and then hope guys like Chaisson, Olesiak, and Nemeth are ready come 2013.

If I have to watch them be terrible this season to see this lineup in two years so be it.

Eriksson-McKinnon-Chaisson
Benn-Luke Adam-Matt Fraser
Eric Fehr-Eakin-Vincour
Glennie-Fiddler-Sceviour

Goligoski-Olesiak
Larsen-Nemeth
Daley-Dillon
Benn

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Considering this is 2012-13 haven't we already lost a decade? Look Joe doesn't want to lose. Gagliardi sure as hell doesn't want an empty barn and terrible team on the ice but options this year may be limited by things beyond their control. Had they been able to start the rebuild while in receivership then we're probably further along but that didn't happen.

Now you've got four veterans who didn't help you win, two with NTCs. One who had pissed off management so bad that they finally said let's be done with it. I would think they could have gotten more but have no clue how they feel about Eakin vs. any other prospect offered. They've still got Ott who has value and the other two who probably don't have much. This UFA crop is flat out terrible. Suter and Parise aren't coming to Dallas to lose, several decent guys have re-uped with their current clubs and the rest are big bunch of blah. Building an immediate winner out of this is darn near impossible.

So you evaluate your farm club to see who can fill a hole. You hope you can pick up a couple of UFAs or salary cap causalities from other clubs, roll with the kids who are ready, take your punches and hopefully are in a much better situation come next season.

The best damn thing that could happen to this franchise would be to just flat out suck get the 1st or 2nd overall pick and then hope guys like Chaisson, Olesiak, and Nemeth are ready come 2013.

If I have to watch them be terrible this season to see this lineup in two years so be it.

Eriksson-McKinnon-Chaisson
Benn-Luke Adam-Matt Fraser
Eric Fehr-Eakin-Vincour
Glennie-Fiddler-Sceviour

Goligoski-Olesiak
Larsen-Nemeth
Daley-Dillon
Benn
That lineup really isn't that much better. We'll probably make the playoffs, but not contend.

I'm really hoping Adam doesn't push Benn to wing either, if we acquire him. Getting a guy like MacKinnon may change that (don't see it, though), but still.

I'd still prefer Jones, too.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

Quote:
That lineup really isn't that much better. We'll probably make the playoffs, but not contend.

I'm really hoping Adam doesn't push Benn to wing either, if we acquire him. Getting a guy like MacKinnon may change that (don't see it, though), but still.

Yep.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Does he not deal with West teams?

So far he's only made 3 trades with Western Conference teams (including one with LA yesterday). All of them have been pick for pick.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

So assuming worst goes worst:

Eriksson/Benn is out for the season due to injury (Not concussion). Lehtonen's injuries come back, he misses significant time. Our defense just sucks even mor than last year. We suck, get 2nd overall and draft Seth Jones (tell me we should take Barkov or someone else, but Jones is too perfect for Dallas. A #1, from the area, monstrous, etc.).

The Ott for Adam + pick trade is fine with me. That gets made.

In two years, I'd wanna see this:

Chiasson
Eriksson
Benn
Adam/Faksa
R. Smith
Glennie/Fraser

Chiasson - Benn - Eriksson
Glennie/Fraser - Adam/Faksa - R. Smith
Stransky - Faksa/Eakin - Vincour
Troock - Eakin/Fiddler - Sceviour
Wandell/Whoever

Nemeth - Jones
Goligoski - Oleksiak
Daley - Larsen
Dillon

Lehtonen
Campbell

Lets assume Lehtonen re-signed for 1-2 years or something.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:58 PM
vofty

Quote:
So assuming worst goes worst:

Eriksson/Benn is out for the season due to injury (Not concussion). Lehtonen's injuries come back, he misses significant time. Our defense just sucks even mor than last year. We suck, get 2nd overall and draft Seth Jones (tell me we should take Barkov or someone else, but Jones is too perfect for Dallas. A #1, from the area, monstrous, etc.).

The Ott for Adam + pick trade is fine with me. That gets made.

In two years, I'd wanna see this:

Chiasson
Eriksson
Benn
Adam/Faksa
R. Smith
Glennie/Fraser

Wandell/Whoever

Nemeth - Jones
Goligoski - Oleksiak
Daley - Larsen
Dillon

Lehtonen
Campbell

I can support this agenda.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
I look at it as the St. Louis Blues path. A young group that has to grow together. That first year they're not going to light the world on fire but Dallas gets plenty of looks at all their young players, they're in the chase and hopefully get a taste of the playoffs so they're better prepared the following year.

Quote:
Take your pick of Loktionov, Adam, Eller, Spooner, Anismov, Ennis or whomever Dallas can get because they seem determined to move Benn. Agree or disagree that seems to be their direction. I just hope they get the best guy they can to fill that spot which maybe splits up Benn and Eriksson to give one to each center to help them out.

Quote:
I know people really like Jones but this franchise needs a Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, RNH, type player. A 90 to 100 point future center who can bring out the very best in whomever he plays with, sells tickets, makes other players want to play with him and gets all the inevitable Mike Modano comparisons. I don't doubt Seth Jones is special but unless he's Chara or Pronger special take the offensive dynamo this franchise hasn't had since 1994.

Last edited by Hull Fan: 06-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I look at it as the St. Louis Blues path. A young group that has to grow together. That first year they're not going to light the world on fire but Dallas gets plenty of looks at all their young players, they're in the chase and hopefully get a taste of the playoffs so they're better prepared the following year.

Take your pick of Loktionov, Adam, Eller, Spooner, Anismov, Ennis or whomever Dallas can get because they seem determined to move Benn. Agree or disagree that seems to be their direction. I just hope they get the best guy they can to fill that spot which maybe splits up Benn and Eriksson to give one to each center to help them out.

I know people really like Jones but this franchise needs a Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, RNH, type player. A 90 to 100 point future center who can bring out the very best in whomever he plays with, sells tickets, makes other players want to play with him and gets all the inevitable Mike Modano comparisons. I don't doubt Seth Jones is special but unless he's Chara or Pronger special take the offensive dynamo this franchise hasn't had since 1994.
To be honest I don't think MacKinnon plays centre at the NHL ready. He plays more like a winger than a centre and I don't think his defensive awareness is good enough to be a centre.

Jones is a Pronger type pick. Generational defensemen. I'd much rather have him.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:34 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

Benn is our #1 center.

Jones is more important to a team. Look at the the recent Stanley Cup winners. Besides Pittsburgh, none of them have a 90-100 point elite forward, but they all have a legit #1 defenseman.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:42 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:

Wandell/Whoever

Nemeth - Jones
Goligoski - Oleksiak
Daley - Larsen
Dillon

Lehtonen
Campbell

I guarantee you if we tank this year Lehtonen will be gone by the deadline and won't be coming back.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:45 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I guarantee you if we tank this year Lehtonen will be gone by the deadline and won't be coming back.
That'd probably work too. Just don't want to rush Campbell.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:56 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

A dangerous game tanking with this fan base...

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:58 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
A dangerous game tanking with this fan base...
Missing the playoffs another 2-3 years in a row will be just as bad.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Benn is our #1 center.
By design or by default?

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:54 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
By design or by default?
For me, design.

In actuality, it'll probably be by default.