HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philadelphia's Potential Problem

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
rainrock

vCash: 500
If Richards,Cartsy, and JVR won a cup in Philly they wouldnt have been traded away.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Laino

During his conference call with reporters JvR was asked if Holmgren spoke to him a couple days ago and kind of promised he wouldn't be traded, any truth to this? JvR just said something like I have nothing bad to say about Homer, I'm not going to talk about that he's a great guy...

I think it was rumored that he said the same thing to Carter? Or Richards, not really sure but if that's true I would be kinda hesitant. But it's a guaranteed long-term contract, and JvR is not on a discount deal like (imo) Carter/Richards were.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:28 AM
phlla12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post
During his conference call with reporters JvR was asked if Holmgren spoke to him a couple days ago and kind of promised he wouldn't be traded, any truth to this? JvR just said something like I have nothing bad to say about Homer, I'm not going to talk about that he's a great guy...

I think it was rumored that he said the same thing to Carter? Or Richards, not really sure but if that's true I would be kinda hesitant. But it's a guaranteed long-term contract, and JvR is not on a discount deal like (imo) Carter/Richards were.
Carter also hid like a baby in Sea Isle after he was traded. I think it's completely reasonable that a GM not give any indication, in most cases, if a player is going to be traded or not. It prevents them from running their mouth and tainting the deal.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:30 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
It's not something that should continue to happen. It sets a bad precedent and can put thoughts in the back of players' minds when they sign here, making them reluctant to sign, or making them demand a NTC/NMC in their contract.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Giroux was the smart one. He only signed a 3-year deal.

But yes, JVR is the 3rd player to be traded by Holmgren since 2009 to be traded before the contract extension kicks in. Agents eventually do what the players want, but you can bet agents will advise them to not want long-term deals from the Flyers. It will cost the Flyers money in the future.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Yawn. They get paid millions of dollars every year, if they can't handle a trade after that then they're weak. The way we've worked with people like Lappy says a lot more than our trading.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Kingler

Probably will just lead less to "hometown" discount and more shorter contracts

I can see Don Meehan turning this against the Flyers and tell his clients that they better not take a discount, Philly could trade them to god know where the following season. Its just going to be more bullets for agents

Old
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Wilma

The only time I see this being an issue is if a guy clearly took a hometown discount...and was promptly dumped since his value had gone up due to the lower-than-expected cap hit

other moves were just business as usual IMO

Old
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
tsquad

I'd say that all this shows is if you don't live up to your end of the deal, you're out. The Flyers were paying JVR $4.25m a year for six years in the extension for potential they hoped he'd reach by the time the extension kicked in. He didn't perform (for a multitude of reasons, injuries not withstanding) but that's that...

Richards and Carter obviously weren't acting in accordance to how the organization had hoped when they expressed to them with those contracts that they wanted them around for their entire careers. So they went too.

The Flyers are always willing to pay, I think the players will realize that you can't expect to sign a fat long contract and not live up to it. You'll need to perform.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Yeup. Holmgren definitely just lost another blackberry.
I lol'd

Old
06-24-2012, 12:56 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
I'd say that all this shows is if you don't live up to your end of the deal, you're out. The Flyers were paying JVR $4.25m a year for six years in the extension for potential they hoped he'd reach by the time the extension kicked in. He didn't perform (for a multitude of reasons, injuries not withstanding) but that's that...

Richards and Carter obviously weren't acting in accordance to how the organization had hoped when they expressed to them with those contracts that they wanted them around for their entire careers. So they went too.

The Flyers are always willing to pay, I think the players will realize that you can't expect to sign a fat long contract and not live up to it. You'll need to perform.
What irks me about Holmgren is negotiating with players in bad faith to get home town discounts and then trading them. If many reports are to be believed, this is exactly what he did to Carter and Howson was stupid enough to go along with it. I don't care much for Carter, but player agents are wary of such things and as GKJ pointed out earlier in the thread, this behavior might cost $$ in terms of caphit while signing free agents or even their own RFAs.

Last edited by RedBaronIndian: 06-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'm a Pens fan and even I love Paul Holmgren. Dude doesn't give a damn. He just goes about his business wheeling and dealing like he's playing a damn video game. It's great.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Wingsfan2965*

It certainly doesn't look good to a guy like Suter who said he doesn't want to move again after this.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:13 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
It certainly doesn't look good to a guy like Suter who said he doesn't want to move again after this.
If Holmgren comes with a 10- or 12-year deal with a NTC, it wouldn't matter. Suter will make his decision based on money, length of contract, championship contention, and family comfort considerations, as almost every professional athlete does.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Suter would get a NMC.
The right comparison here is Briere, not Richards or Carter.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Looks bad at the moment for the Flyers. This could mean a lot of problems when it comes to bringing in "rentals" during playoff time.
How? That's why they're called "rentals"...you don't keep them

Old
06-24-2012, 03:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This could take place in the JVR thread.

Closed Thread