HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
67 points is an anomaly. It's a byproduct of playing with a supremely talented centre in Tavares. I could get 40 points playing with Tavares and I can barely skate!
Islanders fans are saying he didn't play with Tavares.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Lol. Really? What can you say about islanders fans.

Moulson Tavares PA was there number one line. Lines shift around but that was their main combo.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
What? He most certainly did.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's a young Kaberle...more of an offensive d-man than all around. Average defensively.
Couldn't be more wrong. Wow.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
The Doors

What would people be willing to pay for Paranteau? I don't think he's a bad player just feel like we'd be overpaying as he's a UFA who might have inflated #'s.

But Latendresse - Desharnais - Parenteau would be a cool line if we could snag Lats.

Then give Plekanec Cole and Pacioretty, and go with Moen - Eller - Gionta.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
He played with Tavares more than anyone else, but he also spent about a third of his season centered by Nielson.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
He played with Tavares more than anyone else, but he also spent about a third of his season centered by Nielson.
Yeah most of the last 3 months they had Okposo with Moulson and Tavares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Couldn't be more wrong. Wow.
I watched him in junior and many of his games in Phoenix...I know who and what Yandle is.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
What would people be willing to pay for Paranteau? I don't think he's a bad player just feel like we'd be overpaying as he's a UFA who might have inflated #'s.

But Latendresse - Desharnais - Parenteau would be a cool line if we could snag Lats.

Then give Plekanec Cole and Pacioretty, and go with Moen - Eller - Gionta.
Yeah, we need a couple wingers who can produce. It would of course be ideal if they had more size than Parenteau. But it doesn't look like a UFA market where you can easily find the ideal solutions to your needs. Soooo... I wouldn't completely turn up my nose at Parenteau.

2-3 years at $3-4M per would be fine by me.

But of course, if that was his asking price, the Isles probably would have just re-signed him. And also there will probably be some sucker out there who does look at the 5-year $25M type of deal, there always is.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah most of the last 3 months they had Okposo with Moulson and Tavares.

I watched him in junior and many of his games in Phoenix...I know who and what Yandle is.
Me too. Plus most in the NHL disagree with you.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

Canadiens talking to sharks re:pavelski e4
Eklund, I know, but it's rumor season.

06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Eklund, I know, but it's rumor season.
That would be sweet, always liked Joe

Old
06-24-2012, 03:11 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That would be sweet, always liked Joe
There's nothing they'd be willing to accept for Pavelski that would be a smart move for the Habs.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

We don't need another smallish centre. We're starting to be pretty stacked in that position.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

I like this roster - I think they really underperformed this past year but most of these players could play so much better and we don't really need to gut the team.

Am I alone thinking this?

Old
06-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I like this roster - I think they really underperformed this past year but most of these players could play so much better and we don't really need to gut the team.

No, but I'd still want to bolster it. Do something about Gomez and Kaberle, while trying to get a legit right handed top 4 D and a top 6 LW. Without getting rid of the aforementioned duo, we'll already have about 4-5 mil on the side to just try and add a winger.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

No, wishful thinking of playoff dreams are the norm.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No, but I'd still want to bolster it. Do something about Gomez and Kaberle, while trying to get a legit right handed top 4 D and a top 6 LW. Without getting rid of the aforementioned duo, we'll already have about 4-5 mil on the side to just try and add a winger.
I would definitely try to shed Gomez and Kaberle - and especially Weber - but what could we conceivably do to replace them? I feel like Bergevin won't just make trades until he's had an adequate understanding of how the players could play individually outside of the coveted Jacques Martin Trap-a-doodle-doo.

Maybe Eller will finally wake up? Bourque falls back on form? Pleks should produce at a higher clip too - and feed Gionta.

These aren't, and shouldn't be, loftly goals and if they reach them we're gonna have a good team. The only role I really, really feel we lack is a precision slapper on the PP, Wiz would look so good back there, but can we make do with Souray (if we drop Kabs)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
No, wishful thinking of playoff dreams are the norm.
You saw how many games they lost by a goal late in the third. They're better than that. They're better than the Leafs, better than the Sens, better than the Sabres even. They should be a middle-playoff team as they are now.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:27 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
You saw how many games they lost by a goal late in the third. They're better than that. They're better than the Leafs, better than the Sens, better than the Sabres even. They should be a middle-playoff team as they are now.
They lost games in the third, they didn't win games in the third. That's the statistical signal. Even if we were unlucky, then you could argue we were a 12th place team and not a 15th place. A 6th place team doesn't bad luck itself to 15th place.

Meanwhile, they were an 8th place team at best before they lost Andrei Kostitsyn, Hal Gill and Michael Cammalleri. Those players are not replaced, and thus we are an inferior team unless Bergevin kicks ass on the free agent market.

Quote:
I would definitely try to shed Gomez and Kaberle - and especially Weber - but what could we conceivably do to replace them? I feel like Bergevin won't just make trades until he's had an adequate understanding of how the players could play individually outside of the coveted Jacques Martin Trap-a-doodle-doo.

Maybe Eller will finally wake up? Bourque falls back on form? Pleks should produce at a higher clip too - and feed Gionta.

These aren't, and shouldn't be, loftly goals and if they reach them we're gonna have a good team.
- Shed Gomez
- shed Kaberle
- Shed Weber
- Eller improved
- Bourque improves.
- Pleks improves.
- Gionta has fewer injuries

If each of those has a 50% chance of happening, then the odds they'll all happen is less than 1%. Meanwhile, what if:

- Cole reverts to form.
- Price gets injured
- Pacioretty regresses
- Subban gets injured
- Emelin gets injured
- etc

If each of those has a 30% chance of happening, then several will happen.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
They lost games in the third, they didn't win games in the third. That's the statistical signal. Even if we were unlucky, then you could argue we were a 12th place team and not a 15th place. A 6th place team doesn't bad luck itself to 15th place.

Meanwhile, they were an 8th place team at best before they lost Andrei Kostitsyn, Hal Gill and Michael Cammalleri. Those players are not replaced, and thus we are an inferior team unless Bergevin kicks ass on the free agent market.

- Shed Gomez
- shed Kaberle
- Shed Weber
- Eller improved
- Bourque improves.
- Pleks improves.

If each of those has a 50% chance of happening, then the odds they'll all happen is less than 1%. Meanwhile, what if:

- Cole reverts to form.
- Price gets injured
- Pacioretty regresses
- Subban gets injured
- Emelin gets injured
- etc

You're chock full of terrible math If you want to discuss hockey sometime, lemme know.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
habsfanatics

With AK and Cammy we had pretty good winger depth. Now, we've got a long way to go imo.

I can't believe how much worse PG made this team in one year, but AK was an UFA anyway. I absolutely hate Rene Bourque, he falls into the Gomez/Kaberle mold for me.

I expect a 4th line that is very hard to play against with MB at the helm. That could go a long way in improving the team, but I now think we have holes in the top 9 we simply never had before.

I would of gave Cammy a mulligan for last year if I was management, he was our most prolific goal scorer and I don't see Bourque replacing him or even AK. 25-30 goals in Calgary doesn't automatically translate to 25-30goals in Montreal. Sometimes the surroundings make all the difference.

Should be an interesting year. If nothing changes, we are not a playoff team imo.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

- Shed Gomez
- shed Kaberle
- Shed Weber
- Eller improved
- Bourque improves.
- Pleks improves.

- Cole reverts to form.
- Price gets injured
- Pacioretty regresses
- Subban gets injured
- Emelin gets injured
- etc

VERY creative stats there. Must be the 'new math' I hear they teach these days.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
You're chock full of terrible math
Actually, I have a first class honours undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics, I'll be getting a PhD in a few weeks, and I'll be making six figures next year in a technical job at age 28. I've tutored math and statistics to dozens of people, I've lectured on probability and statistics in a university, and I've turned down job offers from Wall Street. I get the relevant math just fine, thank you.

I don't blame you for not getting basic statistics -- most people don't. The point is, you can't assume the dice will roll you way every time even if you have a god shot on each individual roll. If you roll the dice many times, you will win some, and you will lose some.

If you roll two dice 36 times, you expect to get snake eyes once, not 36 times.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
durojean

I don't understand why so much hate for Kaberle...

He's not the best but he was still better than Diaz Campoli Weber and even Gill last year. We could even debate about Emelin who's while progressing, wasn't really that good defensively last year.

Plus the guy was playing with really bad complement to his style of game.

Pretty sure a
Subban Markov
Gorges Kaberle

Could become a good top 4 for the habs. We really need a Hamrlik kind of guy to play with Emelin next year.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I'd do Pleky + 2nd/minor D prospect for Pavelski + late pick.

Get a couple of years younger, shed 1mil. Same offense/defence and hard work. Oh and he's versatile too. Can play wing.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Actually, I have a first class honours undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics, I'll be getting a PhD in a few weeks, and I'll be making six figures next year in a technical job at age 28. I've tutored math and statistics to dozens of people, I've lectured on probability and statistics in a university, and I've turned down job offers from Wall Street. I get the relevant math just fine, thank you.
Ah sweet bro, is this the part where we brag about how much money we make, just so we can feel good about ourselves? Are you that kid from the "mon père yé riche" video??

Closed Thread