HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Sebastian Collberg - 33rd overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He didn't really drop THAT far. A lot of people had him in the 20s and he went early 30s. Perhaps we just got a little lucky.
I've seen him on lists at least as high as 12-17 as well, though. Makes 33 look like a bigger drop.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Ginu

One list I saw yesterday had him at #9.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's true that lately he was expected to go anywhere from 20-25, but I remember at least one point during the course of the year he was possibly going as high as 12 in some rankings and mocks.
For sure he dropped but I don't think it's to the point you have to think something was wrong with him (ie. Ebert). I'd liken this to Saad, Rocco Grimaldi, or perhaps Tomas Jurco's drop from last season. Just getting a bit lucky.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:50 AM
ChoseLa

Since he's under contract with a team in the SEL can he play in pre-season?

Old
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's true that lately he was expected to go anywhere from 20-25, but I remember at least one point during the course of the year he was possibly going as high as 12 in some rankings and mocks.
I've seen him everywhere from 11 (Corey Pronman had him ahead of the likes of Girgensens and Trouba) to about 25. So yeah, when you consider the general trend of forwards in general, and European based players dropping, he didn't fall THAT far, but I never expected him to fall to the second round, especially behind some projects and guys with far lower ceilings.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Sam I Am

2 things about Collberg:
  • He's a sniper and a RH shot, a combo that is definitely in short supply, particularly on the Habs. Hopefully he can crack the lineup in 2 or 3 years, just in time to replace Brain Gionta.
  • He is under contract for another year to play for Frolunda in Sweden. Let's hope he has a considerably expanded role next season and his development is not stunted by playing 6 minutes a game on a 4th line.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Et le But

Also funny, how close he was draft position-wise to Mats Naslund, who the Habs selected 37 in 1979. No pressure kid.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:36 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
Hard to put up numbers when you only play 4 minutes a game on the 4th line of a men league checking line
Here is where I am confused.
You say he is not good enough to play on a Swedish Men's League, but then you say he is good enough to play in the greatest league on Earth (NHL).
How can this be?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Since he's under contract with a team in the SEL can he play in pre-season?
I don't think so unless we sign him to an ELC before. It could also be a situation where Frolunda has to give their OK.

Ottawa signed Zibanejad last July and he was at their camp and played 9 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
You say he is not good enough to play on a Swedish Men's League, but then you say he is good enough to play in the greatest league on Earth (NHL).
How can this be?
Because he was 17 years old most of this season. For him to be deemed merely good enough to play against men is quite a compliment.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

(didn't see this linked in this thread)

The Habs did it again. Another of my fav prospects from the draft lands in Montreal.

Collberg kept rising in my rankings all year. Here his in depth profile and interview in The Next Ones format. I interviewed him at the World Juniors right after his gold medal win with Sweden. Great kid:

http://thehockeywriters.com/sebastia...and-interview/

Admittedly higher than a lot of rankings (perhaps the highest) I had him ranked at 10th when it was all said & done in The NExt Ones FInal TOp 150 Rankings:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...inal-rankings/

If that's not enough to get Habs fans excited, I had him at 7th in the fantasy-based TOp 100 rankings, which is based on pure offensive upside:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...ased-rankings/

Brilliant pick by the Habs.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
How can this be?
lol what? All I did was explain his season to someone who didnt know why he didnt put up points

Old
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Mr. Hab

Comparisons:

anyone out there knows who he plays like? (style, passing, shot, skating,etc).

I've seen only a few video clips of him (not enough to compare) and do like his style. Could end up being a top 6 sniper for us.

I just hope he will end up being way better than a Valeri Bure or a Sergei Berezin. (I'm sure he will based on everything I've read about him). Maybe he will be better or as good as Oilers' Hemsky?

Collberg in 2nd Round...very very happy, excited about this pick

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-24-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 03:28 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Comparisons:

anyone out there knows who he plays like? (style, passing, shot, skating,etc).

I've seen only a few video clips of him and do like his style.
Could end up being a sniper.

I just hope he will end up way better than a V.Bure or a Berezin.
(I'm sure he will based on everything I've read about him).

Collberg in 2nd Round...very very happy, excited about this pick
Timmins compared him to Daniel Alfredsson in one of the interviews after the draft.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Timmins compared him to Daniel Alfredsson in one of the interviews after the draft.
As far as I'm concerned, the only time Timmins makes that comparison is when he says that he's build similarly to Daniel. Not sure he meant style of play. Unless I missed something which I'd really like to know and hear what he had to say.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
NotProkofievian

Mr. Hab, I'm certain that some archived U18 games are available on the internet. He played very well in that tournament registering 9 points in 6 games. He also had a great WJC with 4 goals, 7 points in 6 games.

When you watch him buzzing around the circles he reminds me of Ennis, but a lot bigger. He really likes to handle the puck and he's always trying to get clear looks at the net in order to use his excellent wrist shot.

He absolutely has top line potential, but, as with all prospects, requires development to get there. He seems to have the right head on his shoulders to get there as well, and really works hard on the ice, every shift.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:40 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the only time Timmins makes that comparison is when he says that he's build similarly to Daniel. Not sure he meant style of play. Unless I missed something which I'd really like to know and hear what he had to say.
This is what Timmins said about him:

"He's 5-foot-11 and he's really thick and stocky, big legs on him," Timmins said. "He's built similar to Daniel Alfredsson, who I was with in Ottawa, and he plays a similar style of game -- on the puck, really committed and passionate about his game."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635912

Bergevin praised his tenacity, his competitiveness and his touch around the net and said he was targetting the player for Chicago when he worked for them.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

"He's 5-foot-11 and he's really thick and stocky, big legs on him," Timmins said. "He's built similar to Daniel Alfredsson, who I was with in Ottawa, and he plays a similar style of game -- on the puck, really committed and passionate about his game."

Bergevin praised his tenacity, his competitiveness and his touch around the net and said he was targetting the player for Chicago when he worked for them.
Great thanks. In the vid, I just hear how he's build like him. Great thing to know!

Old
06-24-2012, 03:44 PM
red devil

If Collberg becomes anything like Alfredsson, that would be amazing 2nd round pick.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
This draft has increased Bergevin's stock in my eyes. He might be full of ****, but I'm quite skeptical of it. Agree with his comments about Collberg.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Grant McCagg

So the Habs drafted 6 players in my top 50, the only club to do so. I'm not even sure another team picked 4 of my top 50.

I had Galchenyuk ranked fist overall and Collberg 12th, Bozon 33rd, Thrower 39th and Vail 48th. Every pick by the habs in the first four rounds was either my top ranked guy or one of the top three left on my board.

I told Trevor either I'm getting better as a scout or we both screwed up. I have a feeling it's the former, but you never know. The Islanders were supposed to have killed it in 2008 in the first three rounds when they picked Bailey, Trivino, Ness, Hamonic, Toews, Niemi and Petrov..

Old
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Timmins specifically said that he expects a little more growth out of Alex. Given all the attention that was given Alex's operation, it's entirely possible that they saw an unfused epiphyseal plate to support that. And generally the "upper-limit" for fusion of the long-bone plates is somewhere around 19.5 years.

...he is also very baby-faced.

However, he is pretty thick, and I would wager very strong too.
Keep it in english dude lol. For a moment there, I got scared he might have some kind of condition.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Keep it in english dude lol. For a moment there, I got scared he might have some kind of condition.
Lol did you google it?

"What? That sounds serious!!"

Old
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Also...

Wow!! If Collberg comes close to Alfie I will be happy!!!

---------------------- -------------------

To NotProkofevian:
Thnaks for info and Ennis comparison (I like Ennis and all the other small players from Buff, no sarcasm).

But...I'll hope Collberg ends up anything close to Daniel Alfredsson (really loove that comparison).

----------------------- ---------------------

Collberg

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-24-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
So the Habs drafted 6 players in my top 50, the only club to do so. I'm not even sure another team picked 4 of my top 50.

I had Galchenyuk ranked first overall and Collberg 12th, Bozon 33rd, Thrower 39th and Vail 48th. Every pick by the habs in the first four rounds was either my top ranked guy or one of the top three left on my board.

I told Trevor either I'm getting better as a scout or we both screwed up. I have a feeling it's the former, but you never know. The Islanders were supposed to have killed it in 2008 in the first three rounds when they picked Bailey, Trivino, Ness, Hamonic, Toews, Niemi and Petrov..
This post started so well, and then...ended with such a negative note! (killjoy!!). Thanks for the obvious reminder that prospects can sometimes be busts!

I really really hope Trevor Timmins's picks will bring success to the Habs. Let's forget about Bailey, Trivino, Ness, Hamonic,etc... it's time for Habs to be happy since the 2011-2012 was one to forget.

Go Timmins Go!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-25-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
(didn't see this linked in this thread)

The Habs did it again. Another of my fav prospects from the draft lands in Montreal.

Collberg kept rising in my rankings all year. Here his in depth profile and interview in The Next Ones format. I interviewed him at the World Juniors right after his gold medal win with Sweden. Great kid:

http://thehockeywriters.com/sebastia...and-interview/

Admittedly higher than a lot of rankings (perhaps the highest) I had him ranked at 10th when it was all said & done in The NExt Ones FInal TOp 150 Rankings:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...inal-rankings/

If that's not enough to get Habs fans excited, I had him at 7th in the fantasy-based TOp 100 rankings, which is based on pure offensive upside:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...ased-rankings/

Brilliant pick by the Habs.
May I ask who are the other prospects we picked that were high on your list?

Closed Thread