HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Really REALLY like the Melindy pick. Anyone know why he wasn't first/second round material? Tikkinen looks like a solid pick too.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Dan

Way to go rt, BUX7PHX, PhoPhan (want), and Kimahri (want) on guessing the Samuelsson pick!

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:30 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Way to go rt, BUX7PHX, PhoPhan (want), and Kimahri (want) on guessing the Samuelsson pick!
what about me, I've been saying I want the Coyotes to pick him for almost a year now...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
hbk

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635982

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I love Knickle's input in the recap on all of these guys (except Samuelsson).

Martinook
Quote:
Jordan is a guy that I really targeted from last year. I live in Vancouver, so he’s a guy that I see quite a bit. Certain things about him just kept developing. He went from 11 goals last year to 40 this year… He’s a guy that I think is going to go right into the American League this year and he has a chance to play some games for us. He plays that style of play; he’s a real power forward, good with the puck, goes to the net… He’s a centerman, which is what we need. He plays all situations… We targeted him and we thought that he may not be there at 58. We kind of crossed our fingers and he was there.
By "us" does he mean the Coyotes? That statement would seem redundant if he meant the Pirates.

Melindy
Quote:
Melindy is a a big, right-handed shot defenseman who is mobile. He’s from Newfoundland - I’m a Maritimer myself - and a lot of guys who come off 'The Rock' have that character about them… I know the coaches in Moncton real well and they speak very highly of him. He’s a real good mobile skating, developing player. He’s getting to be a little bit tougher, a little bit more physical for his size. He’s a good player… I really appreciated that when he was playing in the playoffs they matched him up against Nathan MacKinnon, who will probably be the first or second overall pick (in next year’s draft).
Holland
Quote:
Holland played Tier 2 in the Alberta Junior League in Okotoks, which is just south of Calgary. He’s going to Michigan State next year... After we lost Harrison Ruopp in the trade for Zbynek Michalek, I felt we needed to replace him. So, we took Rhett Holland and I believe he is a better skater and maybe meaner (than Ruopp). He’s nasty, really tough, but he can play. He’s got some ability, he can move. His rights are owned by Regina of the Western Hockey League, so he could possibly go that route. I never want to push a kid one way or the other. It’s up to him to decide what’s best for his best development. We’ll talk about that.
Difference in philosophy than Maloney? Wasn't he the one who pushed Murphy towards Sarnia instead of Miami? Also, I can't remember previous prospect camps, was Ruopp really so good that we needed to replace him?

Tikkinen
Quote:
“He’s a really skilled defenseman. He was a forward two years ago, and you can see it in his game when he plays, he can go up the ice with the puck and sometimes he jumps in and then remembers, 'Oh, I’m a defenseman now. I’ve got to stay back.'... With his ability with the puck and his vision, we look at him as a power-play guy. He’s a little bit of a wild card. Being a forward and going back and playing defense, you’ve got to learn some things that you need to work on defensively, but with his skill-set and hockey sense, he was too good to pass up for us. We’re trying to get better skill and this guy has really good puck skills.
Skill is certainly something we are lacking...

Fejes
Quote:
He played on a good team at Shattuck-St. Mary’s with a few other guys that got drafted…Myself and another scout went and saw him in a tournament in Calgary and he really stepped up and played. He’s a good forward down low, he protects the puck, he plays the game the way the game has become; down low and using your size. I wouldn’t consider him as a power forward, but he does puck protect very well… He’s going to a good school and he’s going to develop there. We like his potential.
Langhamer
Quote:
Being a former goaltender, I know goaltenders take longer to develop. He’s a European goalie, but he’s coming over to play in the CHL next year… He’s a big, athletic goalie. I think he needs a good goalie coach and we have one in Sean Burke, and hopefully wherever he goes in the Canadian Hockey League they’ll have a good goalie coach there as well.
Didn't know he was going to the CHL.

Hache
Quote:
Hache is a defenseman that played with (Coyotes prospect) Brandon Gormley in Shawinigan. He got traded to Cape Breton this year, so he’ll be playing in Cape Breton… He’s more of a stay-at-home, smart defenseman, and he’s a puck-moving guy… He’s a good player. We like him. He’s a hockey-sense guy. That’s a key thing for me for defensemen
I really like Knickle's philosophy in drafting.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:27 PM
hbk

This is probably one of the most divided opinions that I've seen on players in a draft for a long long time. Even comparing lists from competing draft publications and you would swear your reading about different players for different drafts. Banking on a player you desperately want to be there later on is a recipe for disaster. You go by your list and by your scouts. Yes, there is something to knowing when to pull the trigger but in this type of draft you focus on getting the guy you want period.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the Martinook selection. Not that I'm convinced he's the second coming but because this is as good of an insight into our Director of Scouting abilities as we are going to ever get. Here is a gift wrapped case study with the spotlight square upon Rick Knickle's head.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Maybe he's just a big bad mother ****er who knocked in 40 goals in the Dub and they think he's ready to be a power center in the pros as soon as next season.

06-25-2012, 01:16 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Treleving compared him to Henrique who I fell in love with this postseason.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Really like the picks: a very solid first pick, a second rounder based on complete conviction and utter belief, and a lot of intriguing upside in all the other players selected, with inside knowledge for some of them. Very happy with this approach

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
Really like the picks: a very solid first pick, a second rounder based on complete conviction and utter belief, and a lot of intriguing upside in all the other players selected, with inside knowledge for some of them. Very happy with this approach
Yup. You've gotta love the level of competency and transparency with this draft. I don't remember these types of explanations and analysis of draft picks from the organization before. It makes for great reading and makes me feel confident that they know what they are doing. Our drafting record has historically been pretty rough, hopefully it will all translate into better players. Excited about this weeks camp!

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It is cool to have them list specifiic reason why they felt each pick was the correct one and that they seem to have a specific plan in place for each, as well. It's more than likely that none of it matters because the whole thing is a crap shoot, but it's nice to know that they are doing their due dilligence and actually giving consideration to real life factors.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote