HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?
Yea 42 36.21%
Nay 74 63.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 02:17 PM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I would certainly feel better going into the season with Luongo than Theodore.
Really dude. Loungo is better than Theodore but he really can't play much better than Theo and Clemmenson did this year. And too the people saying Loungo will take us on a deep playoff run, the guy literally **** his pants once in the playoffs. I think we all remember the famous Sabourin moment in the 07 playoffs against Anaheim.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I'm one of Louie's biggest critics, was well before he was moved, and got **** on plenty for it. That said, he's now 33, locked into a stupid contract, and probably doesn't have 5 good years in him, much less te rest of that contract.

Man, I just don't don't with him. I'd rather not, but I don't think we should go into the season with just Theo and Markstrom. If we get him for Upshall and not much else, so be it. We're not getting rid of Jovo, I don't believe. We'd have to add, and it probably wouldn't look too good.

I'm expecting it, dont think it'd be too awful, but I'm hoping we get better offensive players instead.

06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm one of Louie's biggest critics, was well before he was moved, and got **** on plenty for it. That said, he's now 33, locked into a stupid contract, and probably doesn't have 5 good years in him, much less te rest of that contract.

Man, I just don't don't with him. I'd rather not, but I don't think we should go into the season with just Theo and Markstrom. If we get him for Upshall and not much else, so be it. We're not getting rid of Jovo, I don't believe. We'd have to add, and it probably wouldn't look too good.

I'm expecting it, dont think it'd be too awful, but I'm hoping we get better offensive players instead.
This. The Loungo talks have heated up so much, it's taken the focus off our real need. Offense. We need goal scorers who can stop us from ending every game in a 3-2 shoot out loss.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Absolutely not. You geniuses seem to forget that Luongo's contract runs until 2022 at a cap hit of $5.3 million per year. Do you think Markstrom's going to sit around waiting in the wings until 2022? And if we do start paying Markstrom a starter's salary, you think that it's wise to waste $5.3 million of cap space on a backup? We've already got contracts in Jovanovski, Upshall, and yes, even Brian Campbell, that are going to be painful to endure in their last years. We don't need another one in Luongo.

And this is coming from someone who still likes Luongo. Jeez, guys. Think.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
TheMightyPanther85

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
If you sign a contract when you're over 35, it will count towards the cap if you retire before it expires.

In this case, no it won't.

Am I right?
Thanks for the response I wasn't sure how the underlying conditions of some of these contracts worked but I think that would be a determining factor for me. Though I said no in the poll because I think he's a little overrated.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Really dude. Loungo is better than Theodore but he really can't play much better than Theo and Clemmenson did this year. And too the people saying Loungo will take us on a deep playoff run, the guy literally **** his pants once in the playoffs. I think we all remember the famous Sabourin moment in the 07 playoffs against Anaheim.
The perception that Luongo is a choker is rather false, as is usually the case when someone is labeled a choker.

Sometimes, the worst thing a star can do is go somewhere where everything is under the microscope.

Everything he does wrong is widely reported, yet all the good things he did are ignored because he didn't get the Cup (a team achievement).

It's very similar to LeBron James. Everyone talked about him when reality is he's only had one bad playoff series his whole entire career.

Like James, Luongo's career postseason #'s are no different than his career regular season #'s; they're actually identical basically.

If anything, he ***** the bed in October every year.

I personally don't like Luongo because I think he's quite the diva (based on his departure here), but he's a better goalie than Theodore. Theodore also only has a year left on his contract so it wouldn't hurt to have someone long-term at the position.

I really don't care if we get Luongo or not as it shouldn't be a priority, but I really don't understand why people like GP would say stuff like: "Luongo has the worst contract in hockey." (false)

Saying you (not you, but GP) wouldn't trade a package like Upshall (worse contract) + something minimal is rather laughable.

Luongo is overpaid much like Brian Campbell is overpaid. They're not worth the money they get, but they're still very good players. Look at Luongo's career #'s and you're not going to find many goalies who put up the #'s he puts up on a year-to-year consistent basis. People here trust Tallon; there's a reason why Dale Tallon has shown interest.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Erick

For what it's worth, I initially hated this idea, but then I realized I just want what's best for the team and I think we can all agree that he's a top-10 (at worst) goalie. Even if you think he's a tad bit overrated, he's still an upgrade and upgrades are good.

Markstrom, imo, needs more time to develop and you can't just count on Theodore. I appreciate what Theo did, but he was realistically signed to be a 1A/1B goalie here. I think he exceeded most people's expectations and I actually liked the Theodore signing (most didn't even like it at the time, that's how much of a question he initially was). As consistent as he was most of the year, he wasn't the same toward the end of the season either.

Again, Lu is an upgrade to the team. Getting him wouldn't prevent us from getting offense because we'd just be trading a bad (better yet, worse) contract to Vancouver if the deal gets done. We'd be buying low which is never a bad thing to me.

I actually became a hockey fan because of Luongo and now dislike him more than Olli, Horton, and Bo. I feel like Luongo acted like a victim at the time of his departure here when reality was that he just didn't feel like re-signing here. However, things change and we no longer have Mike Keenan/a terrible team here. To be fair to Luongo, those were some brutal teams he played for. If not for him, they would've been absolutely embarrassed on a nightly basis.

In conclusion, I'm not a fan of him as a person but I really like it when the Panthers win and I welcome any upgrades that would help this team win.
He's clearly our best option available in terms of goaltending.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
I don't think we need him, Theodore is solid and with Markström in San antonio we're gonna be just fine

Old
06-24-2012, 03:33 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
but then I realized I just want what's best for the team
IMO this is the biggest reason why Tallon is holding back. Sure Luongo is a upgrade now, but when you think about the situation long term is it worth it? Lu is making $6,714,000 a year until 2018 for a total of $40,284,000. While his caphit is lower than that, it will still take a massive hit on the team budget.

Tallon really has to ask himself, is it worth to risk long term succees and signing the kids & UFAs in the future for immediate succees. We all know what happened to the Hawks after their cup run and while Tallon wasn't with Hawks any more at that time, I bet he still learned his lesson about it.

IMO it's more probable that Tallon trades for Niemi if he's looking for a number 1 guy in the near future. Another player that he has a history with and could be on the way out from San Jose.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Tuco

Quote:
The perception that Luongo is a choker is rather false, as is usually the case when someone is labeled a choker.

Sometimes, the worst thing a star can do is go somewhere where everything is under the microscope.

Everything he does wrong is widely reported, yet all the good things he did are ignored because he didn't get the Cup (a team achievement).

It's very similar to LeBron James. Everyone talked about him when reality is he's only had one bad playoff series his whole entire career.

Like James, Luongo's career postseason #'s are no different than his career regular season #'s; they're actually identical basically.

If anything, he ***** the bed in October every year.

I personally don't like Luongo because I think he's quite the diva (based on his departure here), but he's a better goalie than Theodore. Theodore also only has a year left on his contract so it wouldn't hurt to have someone long-term at the position.

I really don't care if we get Luongo or not as it shouldn't be a priority, but I really don't understand why people like GP would say stuff like: "Luongo has the worst contract in hockey." (false)

Saying you (not you, but GP) wouldn't trade a package like Upshall (worse contract) + something minimal is rather laughable.

Luongo is overpaid much like Brian Campbell is overpaid. They're not worth the money they get, but they're still very good players. Look at Luongo's career #'s and you're not going to find many goalies who put up the #'s he puts up on a year-to-year consistent basis. People here trust Tallon; there's a reason why Dale Tallon has shown interest.
Using words like laughable to describe someone else's opinion does not make you look too intelligent Erick.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
IMO this is the biggest reason why Tallon is holding back. Sure Luongo is a upgrade now, but when you think about the situation long term is it worth it? Lu is making $6,714,000 a year until 2018 for a total of $40,284,000. While his caphit is lower than that, it will still take a massive hit on the team budget.

Tallon really has to ask himself, is it worth to risk long term succees and signing the kids & UFAs in the future for immediate succees. We all know what happened to the Hawks after their cup run and while Tallon wasn't with Hawks any more at that time, I bet he still learned his lesson about it.

IMO it's more probable that Tallon trades for Niemi if he's looking for a number 1 guy in the near future. Another player that he has a history with and could be on the way out from San Jose.
IMO, he's holding out because like the Soup trade, he wants to send almost nothing for him. Vancouver isn't in the driver's seat, not with that cinteract and a NTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Using words like laughable to describe someone else's opinion does not make you look too intelligent Erick.
He has a point, though, and he didn't actually call anyone out.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:02 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I'd prefer we just stay away from Luongo. Theodore did more than well enough for us last season, and I think he will be fine next season. We can keep signing budget goaltenders like Theodore until Markstrom is ready. We don't need the guy, we just don't. The only reason we are even considering this, or at least Tallon is, because Luongo would much rather come back to South Florida than be anywhere else. Otherwise we wouldn't really even be thinking twice about Luongo.

It's just unnecessary in my opinion. Completely unnecessary. Gillis can't try and shove him down our throat when we don't really need him in the first place, and then expect some massive return. I just rather that we stay away. Spend the dollars somewhere else. Goaltending wasn't the issue last season. I think we'd be fixing a position that doesn't need fixing.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
So you don't think his words were at all biased?

Luongo definitely isn't the worst contract in the game.

It's a bad contract, yeah, but if we're trading a contract that's even worse, how is that bad for our team?

Saying you don't want Luongo, period, without context...don't you think that's rather close-minded? If Tallon thought the same way, we never would've gotten Brian Campbell.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:12 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
IMO, he's holding out because like the Soup trade, he wants to send almost nothing for him. Vancouver isn't in the driver's seat, not with that cinteract and a NTC.
Who cares if we get Lu for next to nothing, when his salary would tie Tallon's hands for years to come.

6.7 million is elite money. Who can guarantee that Luongo is still elite 3 years from now, when people already argue if he belongs to that group today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
It's just unnecessary in my opinion. Completely unnecessary. Gillis can't try and shove him down our throat when we don't really need him in the first place, and then expect some massive return. I just rather that we stay away. Spend the dollars somewhere else. Goaltending wasn't the issue last season. I think we'd be fixing a position that doesn't need fixing.
Agreed. Luongo's contract would just handcuff Tallon for all those years when we have to sign the kids and attract UFAs.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:13 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I'm for it if they take Jovo and his contract.
Ditto

Old
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Who cares if we get Lu for next to nothing, when his salary would tie Tallon's hands for years to come.

6.7 million is elite money. Who can guarantee that Luongo is still elite 3 years from now, when people already argue if he belongs to that group today.

Agreed. Luongo's contract would just handcuff Tallon for all those years when we have to sign the kids and attract UFAs.
If he moves Scottie's contract, it's only a 1.8 mil cap hit difference for three years of the contract. No one can guarantee anything in sports, including prospects and elite players. It's just not possible.

Tallon knows what he's doing, he's not going to screw the team. Granted he gets paid more than the hit, which could also be an issue, but trusting he's gonna hang em up in 5(ish) years is the biggest issue.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Erick

Quote:

As opposed to the bad contracts already on the team?

At least Luongo's bad contract puts up good #'s every year.

Meanwhile, we're paying a guy like Scottie Upshall a whole lot of money to play like the second coming of Rostislav Olesz.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:45 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
As opposed to the bad contracts already on the team?
At least those contracts run out during this decade..

Quote:
At least Luongo's bad contract puts up good #'s every year.
You make it sound like Jovo, Kopecky and Upshall had jack **** to do with our succees this year. Sure they're overpaid by a few million, but they're an important piece of the team and know their role.

Luongo's 6.7 million salary for 6 years and me-first attitude just screams trouble.

Quote:
Meanwhile, we're paying a guy like Scottie Upshall a whole lot of money to play like the second coming of Rostislav Olesz.
Seriously, how do people still complain about Upshall's salary?

Wake up everyone, this is 2012 not 2005. 3rd liners are getting 3/3.5 million these days easily.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I'm gonna go a little off topic and point out how funny it is that at least 3 of the 11 posters voting "Yea" are Nucks fans

Obviously trying affect the poll results somehow.

On topic: unless Vancouver takes on Jovo, I'd say there is 0% chance of this trade happening. And even with Jovo on board Nucks wont get even close to what their fans are expecting. The market for Lou simply isn't there, not enough buyers, and with that contract makes his value pretty low.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

Luongo's 6.7 million salary for 6 years and me-first attitude just screams trouble.
Sounds like Roberto's attitude has changed a lot since his days with the Panthers. I haven't seen any of this "me-first attitude" and he's been nothing but a solid teammate and mentor to Schneider from all accounts.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Sounds like Roberto's attitude has changed a lot since his days with the Panthers. I haven't seen any of this "me-first attitude" and he's been nothing but a solid teammate and mentor to Schneider from all accounts.
Comments about his attitude, I assume, stem mostly from how he left the team PG. understandably so, IMO

Old
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Boooooth10

According to one of Vancouver's beat writers, Gillis is asking for one of our top 4 prospects for Loungo.

https://twitter.com/botchford/status/216586178596569088

Keep dreaming

Old
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If Schneider starting what, 3 games during the playoffs? And Lu getting all ******** about that doesn't sound me-first attitude, then I don't know what does.

If he was so cool and team first about the situation, why isn't he staying in Vancouver? Exactly.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
According to one of Vancouver's beat writers, Gillis is asking for one of our top 4 prospects for Loungo.

https://twitter.com/botchford/status/216586178596569088

Keep dreaming
Luongo is staying in Vancouver. He has informed Vancouver he will only accept a trade to Florida and with that contract, that's not happening. Now if the new CBA includes an amnesty clause and Vancouver uses it to buy him out, I would welcome him back with open arms if he would accept a contract for $3mil or less a year.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Yes, if they take Santorelli + Jovanovski for Luongo

Closed Thread