HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Burke's New Move?

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
dubplatepressure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Gunnar was probably the Leafs best defenseman this year. Sometimes people are so caught up with flash that they forget how valuable making the right play is.

I'm not against trading Gunnar, but if he does get traded, it better be for a darn good player(s).
That's the idea

Gunnar & Mac or some form of it... should bring something solid back.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

This isn't particularly related to much, but I saw at least two of the Leaf picks put on sweaters with the number 12 on them. Obviously this doesn't mean we're trading Connolly (necessarily), but I was just curious. Why #12?

Old
06-24-2012, 03:27 PM
RaskY
Blues bandwagon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
This isn't particularly related to much, but I saw at least two of the Leaf picks put on sweaters with the number 12 on them. Obviously this doesn't mean we're trading Connolly (necessarily), but I was just curious. Why #12?
2012 Draft?

Old
06-24-2012, 03:28 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
2012 draft

Old
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Hahahahaha

Old
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Is this serious?

Old
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
FallingInReverse

facepalm

Old
06-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

Coincidentally, every player had 12 on their jersey, must be a popular number

Old
06-24-2012, 03:42 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Gunnar was probably the Leafs best defenseman this year. Sometimes people are so caught up with flash that they forget how valuable making the right play is.

I'm not against trading Gunnar, but if he does get traded, it better be for a darn good player(s).
I know how you feel about Phaneuf but the teams best D man last year was Phaneuf the one D men they just can't do without rather you like or not... Sure he did make right sound plays but he was not without faults and mistakes either especially in front of the net and in the corners when being checked by the opponent and the inability to knock people off the puck. Part of the problem of getting hemmed in is in due to Gunnarson being soft and not having the ability to skate out of trouble.

There's no forgetting at all nor am I caught up in flash frankly IMO your overvaluing him if you feel trading him for Berglund is something this organization can't afford to do.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I know how you feel about Phaneuf but the teams best D man last year was Phaneuf the one D men they just can't do without rather you like or not... Sure he did make right sound plays but he was not without faults and mistakes either especially in front of the net and in the corners when being checked by the opponent and the inability to knock people off the puck. Part of the problem of getting hemmed in is in due to Gunnarson being soft and not having the ability to skate out of trouble.

There's no forgetting at all nor am I caught up in flash frankly IMO your overvaluing him if you feel trading him for Berglund is something this organization can't afford to do.
This has nothing to do with how I feel about Phaneuf. Phaneuf is a good defenseman, with the potential to be better than Gunnar, but I don't think he was last year.

I'm certainly not the only poster on this board who believes Gunnar was the Leafs best defender last year, and some of those who believe he was are Phaneuf supporters.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
The Leafs decided to make it a Lee Stempniak tribute weekend.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:58 PM
gladis

LoL
Everyone wear 12 day

Old
06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
dimi78

Quote:
This has nothing to do with how I feel about Phaneuf. Phaneuf is a good defenseman, with the potential to be better than Gunnar, but I don't think he was last year.

I'm certainly not the only poster on this board who believes Gunnar was the Leafs best defender last year, and some of those who believe he was are Phaneuf supporters.
That's great and I will tell them the same thing I'm saying to you that they're wrong and overvaluing the play of Gunnarson. He's a good sound D men nothing more nothing less and this team needs "more" on the top pairing next to Phaneuf to have what is needed to become a contender he's not a top pairing D men to be held so high... If he could be flipped in a similar trade like Schenn was Burke would be stupid not to do it to fill a void somewhere else if not in a package trade to up grade his spot next to Phaneuf.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:10 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
That's great and I will tell them the same thing I'm saying to you that they're wrong and overvaluing the play of Gunnarson. He's a good sound D men nothing more nothing less and this team needs "more" on the top pairing next to Phaneuf to have what is needed to become a contender he's not a top pairing D men to be held so high... If he could be flipped in a similar trade like Schenn was Burke would be stupid not to do it to fill a void somewhere else if not in a package trade to up grade his spot next to Phaneuf.
I don't disagree with you, in that I also don't believe Gunnarson is a top-pairing defenseman, but that doesn't mean he wasn't our best defenseman last year. He was one of the only ones who, I believe, didn't complete suck during our huge slide down the standings. I think Phaneuf, Gardiner and JML are all better defenseman when they're on their games, but last year Gunnarson consistently played well.

Saying that, I would certainly be okay with the Leafs at least entertaining the idea of Berglund for Gunnarson, but I wouldn't want to see the Leafs add anything of significance, and I don't think I'd want to see them get any less value for him.

Just my two cents, though.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:20 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
The Leafs decided to make it a Lee Stempniak tribute weekend.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:28 PM
leafobserver

Gunnar seems like a piece the Leafs could give up and get some value back but I'd be very worried about the consistency lost on the backend. Gardiner/Liles/Phaneuf/Franson are not carrying the mail for all 200ft like Gunnar does. Can Holzer slot in as a replacement? Has Gardiner developed a more well-rounded game?

If they're confident in signing Shultz, I'd be very ready to move Gunnar, but from what I know about Shultz is that he is a bit slight, and will likely (at best) show the same game Gardiner did last year...which had some holes defensively.

St. Louis seems like a logical partner...maybe something around Oshie?

Old
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafobserver View Post
Gunnar seems like a piece the Leafs could give up and get some value back but I'd be very worried about the consistency lost on the backend. Gardiner/Liles/Phaneuf/Franson are not carrying the mail for all 200ft like Gunnar does. Can Holzer slot in as a replacement? Has Gardiner developed a more well-rounded game?
If they're confident in signing Shultz, I'd be very ready to move Gunnar, but from what I know about Shultz is that he is a bit slight, and will likely (at best) show the same game Gardiner did last year...which had some holes defensively.

St. Louis seems like a logical partner...maybe something around Oshie?
That's the point I'm making and I don't get why Gunnarson is viewed to be anymore consistent as the others. He's made his fair share of mistakes but for some reason we turn a blind eye to them and his flaws as a player showed up big time vs teams like Boston and Philly not to mention his play in front of the net is sup-bar. Nobody seems to have noticed part of the issue of this team getting hemmed in is do to Gunnarson not being strong or play tough enough to knock players off the puck nor does he ever skate the puck out of trouble like Gardiner does to nullify his flaw.

It's perceived around here that Gunnarson was mistake free and not part of the issues defensively cause he very much was not more or less than the others. His strength is being positionally sound the rest of his game is average lets not make him be anything more than he is which is a good sound positional D men nothing less nothing more.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
WhatASaveDave

anyone think a trade with Stl would work? Targeting Andy McDonald?

Gunnarson + Lombardi for Andy McDonald ?

Old
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post

I like him but he is what - 33 or 34 now? How about we take those two players and try to pry Halak out of St. Louis?

Old
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:

Andy McDonald? No thank-you.

I'd be okay with the Blues as trade partners, but I'd prefer someone like Berglund or, if we're dreamin', T.J. Oshie.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
GoLeafsGo123

My first post but i put together a roster which i think the leafs can compete with next year http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster.php?id=8088 thats the link if you want to check it out. were under the cap and the deal that i kinda put in was Connolly and MacArthur for lu. The one thing i think about this team is the d might be a little soft any thoughts?

Old
06-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

He's a winger, well he's better on the wing at least.

Between him, JVR and Lupul we will never have a fully healthy forward core

Old
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
RaskY
Blues bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I like him but he is what - 33 or 34 now? How about we take those two players and try to pry Halak out of St. Louis?
Gunnarsson and Lombardi?

If you had Halak, and the Leafs were interested, what would you ask for in return?

Old
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Gunnarsson and Lombardi?

If you had Halak, and the Leafs were interested, what would you ask for in return?
I would ask for Gunnar and Lombardi, maybe Komi instead of Lombardi

Old
06-24-2012, 05:59 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo123 View Post
My first post but i put together a roster which i think the leafs can compete with next year http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster.php?id=8088 thats the link if you want to check it out. were under the cap and the deal that i kinda put in was Connolly and MacArthur for lu. The one thing i think about this team is the d might be a little soft any thoughts?
Welcome to the boards!

Thanks for posting that. I think that's a pretty good roster, and not unrealistic like some you'll see on this board.

The only thing I think that should be changed is something that's pretty minor. In the event that the Leafs sign Schultz, Gardiner would be playing the left-side (left-handed shot), while Schultz would be playing the right-side (right-handed shot).

Other than that, good job and thanks for posting it.

Closed Thread