HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Any chance this kid and Nieves makes the US national team for the WJC?
He can still make the team but he's not on the summer camp roster. Is Skjei eligible to play in the AHL next season?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He can still make the team but he's not on the summer camp roster. Is Skjei eligible to play in the AHL next season?
Yes he can play in the A, he was not drafted out of the CHL. He should and will go to Minnesota, we have no reason to rush anyone.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Skjei was invited to the US WJC camp. He will most likely make the team, as long as he plays normally. Don't know about Boo.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Skjei was invited to the US WJC camp. He will most likely make the team, as long as he plays normally. Don't know about Boo.
I read it too quickly and thought he just asked about Nieves

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:16 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm not concerned about it, personally. His skating is elite, if he can continue developing well positionally, continue making smart decisions, and use his stick well, he's going to break up plays regularly. He doesn't need to throw his weight around. If he can learn to use his body to protect the puck, all will be well.
SSM, you and I usually agree on most things, but I'll have to disagree here.

While he doesn't need to, at his size, he should use it to his advantage. How many defenseman, nevermind NHL players are blessed with his size and have the kind of mobility and lateral movement that this kid has?

This kid could be in the NHL a lot sooner than people think, apparently. Maybe I was all wrong about this kid. Who knows, but I don't like hearing that for a 6'3 205 pounder at 18 years old that he doesn't use his size to an advantage.

I don't think he needs to be a Dion Phaneuf type, leveling everything in sight, but he should be using his size to dominate smaller players and muscle them off the puck with ease. Hopefully with an NHL workout regimen, he gains muscle and gets stronger.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

And hopefully under the watch of Schoenfeld and others, he develops more of a mean streak.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:25 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
SKJEI. How do they get SHEA from that? Justin Faulk was ready for pro hockey after 1 year in the WCHA. He played two years at NTDP. Like Skjei. Minny boys.
Think Kjell Samuelsson...KJ is "sh" in Sweden, like CC is "ch" in Italian.

Considering 99 pct of Minnesote is Nordic, I'll bet Skjei is either Swedish or Icelandic or some ****.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Think Kjell Samuelsson...KJ is "sh" in Sweden, like CC is "ch" in Italian.

Considering 99 pct of Minnesote is Nordic, I'll bet Skjei is either Swedish or Icelandic or some ****.
yeah i said earlier that my buds gf name is Skjeie and she pronounces it shea. shes of scandinavian descent.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I think it's Norwegian.

Fire is the only thing that we need to worry about. As long as he has that, he'll be fine. The fact that he doesn't play like a ******** (Phaneuf) is really not an issue.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
SSM, you and I usually agree on most things, but I'll have to disagree here.

While he doesn't need to, at his size, he should use it to his advantage. How many defenseman, nevermind NHL players are blessed with his size and have the kind of mobility and lateral movement that this kid has?

This kid could be in the NHL a lot sooner than people think, apparently. Maybe I was all wrong about this kid. Who knows, but I don't like hearing that for a 6'3 205 pounder at 18 years old that he doesn't use his size to an advantage.

I don't think he needs to be a Dion Phaneuf type, leveling everything in sight, but he should be using his size to dominate smaller players and muscle them off the puck with ease. Hopefully with an NHL workout regimen, he gains muscle and gets stronger.
He's not a wimp or anything. He's not Marek Malik.

He's going to a great defense coach in Minnesota. Who will surely develop him properly. I have faith.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
MNState0fHockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He's not a wimp or anything. He's not Marek Malik.

He's going to a great defense coach in Minnesota. Who will surely develop him properly. I have faith.
Don't worry, he'll learn to use the body.

I'll try to provide you guys updates on him from time to time.

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
Don't worry, he'll learn to use the body.

I'll try to provide you guys updates on him from time to time.
Thanks. Take some good notes.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
eco's bones

Back to Guentzel--he is a former Rangers draft pick--around the early 80's. But I agree--you got size you have to use it sometimes and I think the Rangers will push that. Big d-men who don't hit usually become targets at MSG.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Back to Guentzel--he is a former Rangers draft pick--around the early 80's. But I agree--you got size you have to use it sometimes and I think the Rangers will push that. Big d-men who don't hit usually become targets at MSG.
No, big d-men who don't hit and who shy away from contact and who don't try become targets.

McDonagh is a big d-man who isn't plastering people out there all the time and he is far from a target. As long as Skjei puts in the work and plays hard, he'll be fine.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Skjei needs to focus on using his body as a tool, not as a weapon. I don't think he's ever going to be a punishing presence on the blue line, but he's has the hockey IQ to project well against a guy like Marc Staal. He's not hammering people all over the ice, but he's very, very good at using his size to win battles in the corners. I think we'll see that develop with Skjei over the next few years.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Skjei needs to focus on using his body as a tool, not as a weapon. I don't think he's ever going to be a punishing presence on the blue line, but he's has the hockey IQ to project well against a guy like Marc Staal. He's not hammering people all over the ice, but he's very, very good at using his size to win battles in the corners. I think we'll see that develop with Skjei over the next few years.
Pretty much sums it up for me.

In a draft where defense was the obvious strength the pick is no shock to me.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No, big d-men who don't hit and who shy away from contact and who don't try become targets.

McDonagh is a big d-man who isn't plastering people out there all the time and he is far from a target. As long as Skjei puts in the work and plays hard, he'll be fine.
He will very very soon. He was a nasty nasty defenseman at Wisco and he was throwing some large hits in the playoffs this year. It's just a matter of time till he is comfortable enough out there. When you can skate like he does hitting adds another dimension to your game.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He will very very soon. He was a nasty nasty defenseman at Wisco and he was throwing some large hits in the playoffs this year. It's just a matter of time till he is comfortable enough out there. When you can skate like he does hitting adds another dimension to your game.
Only out of fear of irrational Ranger fans.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
NYR Viper

I was away all weekend but I like this pick. Besides Collberg I wasn't enamored with any forwards available. He is a physical freak with his skating and his bios remind me of John Moore from a few years ago who now plays for Columbus.

Love that he is going to Minny as well.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Only out of fear of irrational Ranger fans.
No, McDonagh is capable of crushing people and he will do it in due time. Not in the way Phaneuf or some others due, but maybe the way Marc Staal absolutely destroys a player from time to time.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Pretty much sums it up for me.

In a draft where defense was the obvious strength the pick is no shock to me.
What do you think? Like him better than Collberg or Thrower?

Old
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
What do you think? Like him better than Collberg or Thrower?
No.

I would have selected Collberg or Thrower and had a few others ahead of Skjei. My faves were all gone, no surprise to me

I don't have a problem with the pick. None of these guys are far and away better right now. There's a lot more guessing going on in this draft than more like to admit.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
No.

I would have selected Collberg or Thrower and had a few others ahead of Skjei. My faves were all gone, no surprise to me

I don't have a problem with the pick. None of these guys are far and away better right now. There's a lot more guessing going on in this draft than more like to admit.
Yeah I hear ya. I was really high on both guys. Surprised they slipped as much as they did. Kills me to know the Habs ended up with both of them.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. I was really high on both guys. Surprised they slipped as much as they did. Kills me to know the Habs ended up with both of them.
Habs had a good draft, those ********

So much is made about the size of some prospects I think the more about playing the game of Hockey gets lost.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Habs had a good draft, those ********

So much is made about the size of some prospects I think the more about playing the game of Hockey gets lost.
I didn't have Skjei rated too much lower than #28, but I had both of those guys rated much earlier. While I like him as a prospect, I think the Rangers might be getting a little too enamored with this "big guy who can skate" mentality. Yeah, McDonagh and Kreider both fit that mold, but they were also very solid players in their own right. Nieves and Skjei are great skaters, but they're much bigger projects, IMO.