HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
  #176
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Any chance this kid and Nieves makes the US national team for the WJC?
He can still make the team but he's not on the summer camp roster. Is Skjei eligible to play in the AHL next season?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
  #177
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He can still make the team but he's not on the summer camp roster. Is Skjei eligible to play in the AHL next season?
Yes he can play in the A, he was not drafted out of the CHL. He should and will go to Minnesota, we have no reason to rush anyone.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 AM
  #178
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Skjei was invited to the US WJC camp. He will most likely make the team, as long as he plays normally. Don't know about Boo.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
  #179
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Skjei was invited to the US WJC camp. He will most likely make the team, as long as he plays normally. Don't know about Boo.
I read it too quickly and thought he just asked about Nieves

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:16 PM
  #180
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm not concerned about it, personally. His skating is elite, if he can continue developing well positionally, continue making smart decisions, and use his stick well, he's going to break up plays regularly. He doesn't need to throw his weight around. If he can learn to use his body to protect the puck, all will be well.
SSM, you and I usually agree on most things, but I'll have to disagree here.

While he doesn't need to, at his size, he should use it to his advantage. How many defenseman, nevermind NHL players are blessed with his size and have the kind of mobility and lateral movement that this kid has?

This kid could be in the NHL a lot sooner than people think, apparently. Maybe I was all wrong about this kid. Who knows, but I don't like hearing that for a 6'3 205 pounder at 18 years old that he doesn't use his size to an advantage.

I don't think he needs to be a Dion Phaneuf type, leveling everything in sight, but he should be using his size to dominate smaller players and muscle them off the puck with ease. Hopefully with an NHL workout regimen, he gains muscle and gets stronger.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
  #181
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,578
vCash: 500
And hopefully under the watch of Schoenfeld and others, he develops more of a mean streak.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:25 PM
  #182
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
SKJEI. How do they get SHEA from that? Justin Faulk was ready for pro hockey after 1 year in the WCHA. He played two years at NTDP. Like Skjei. Minny boys.
Think Kjell Samuelsson...KJ is "sh" in Sweden, like CC is "ch" in Italian.

Considering 99 pct of Minnesote is Nordic, I'll bet Skjei is either Swedish or Icelandic or some ****.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 PM
  #183
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Think Kjell Samuelsson...KJ is "sh" in Sweden, like CC is "ch" in Italian.

Considering 99 pct of Minnesote is Nordic, I'll bet Skjei is either Swedish or Icelandic or some ****.
yeah i said earlier that my buds gf name is Skjeie and she pronounces it shea. shes of scandinavian descent.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
  #184
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
I think it's Norwegian.

Fire is the only thing that we need to worry about. As long as he has that, he'll be fine. The fact that he doesn't play like a ******** (Phaneuf) is really not an issue.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
  #185
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
SSM, you and I usually agree on most things, but I'll have to disagree here.

While he doesn't need to, at his size, he should use it to his advantage. How many defenseman, nevermind NHL players are blessed with his size and have the kind of mobility and lateral movement that this kid has?

This kid could be in the NHL a lot sooner than people think, apparently. Maybe I was all wrong about this kid. Who knows, but I don't like hearing that for a 6'3 205 pounder at 18 years old that he doesn't use his size to an advantage.

I don't think he needs to be a Dion Phaneuf type, leveling everything in sight, but he should be using his size to dominate smaller players and muscle them off the puck with ease. Hopefully with an NHL workout regimen, he gains muscle and gets stronger.
He's not a wimp or anything. He's not Marek Malik.

He's going to a great defense coach in Minnesota. Who will surely develop him properly. I have faith.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
  #186
MNState0fHockey
Registered User
 
MNState0fHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He's not a wimp or anything. He's not Marek Malik.

He's going to a great defense coach in Minnesota. Who will surely develop him properly. I have faith.
Don't worry, he'll learn to use the body.

I'll try to provide you guys updates on him from time to time.

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:31 PM
  #187
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
Don't worry, he'll learn to use the body.

I'll try to provide you guys updates on him from time to time.
Thanks. Take some good notes.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
  #188
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
Back to Guentzel--he is a former Rangers draft pick--around the early 80's. But I agree--you got size you have to use it sometimes and I think the Rangers will push that. Big d-men who don't hit usually become targets at MSG.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
  #189
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Back to Guentzel--he is a former Rangers draft pick--around the early 80's. But I agree--you got size you have to use it sometimes and I think the Rangers will push that. Big d-men who don't hit usually become targets at MSG.
No, big d-men who don't hit and who shy away from contact and who don't try become targets.

McDonagh is a big d-man who isn't plastering people out there all the time and he is far from a target. As long as Skjei puts in the work and plays hard, he'll be fine.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
  #190
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Skjei needs to focus on using his body as a tool, not as a weapon. I don't think he's ever going to be a punishing presence on the blue line, but he's has the hockey IQ to project well against a guy like Marc Staal. He's not hammering people all over the ice, but he's very, very good at using his size to win battles in the corners. I think we'll see that develop with Skjei over the next few years.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
  #191
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Skjei needs to focus on using his body as a tool, not as a weapon. I don't think he's ever going to be a punishing presence on the blue line, but he's has the hockey IQ to project well against a guy like Marc Staal. He's not hammering people all over the ice, but he's very, very good at using his size to win battles in the corners. I think we'll see that develop with Skjei over the next few years.
Pretty much sums it up for me.

In a draft where defense was the obvious strength the pick is no shock to me.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
  #192
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No, big d-men who don't hit and who shy away from contact and who don't try become targets.

McDonagh is a big d-man who isn't plastering people out there all the time and he is far from a target. As long as Skjei puts in the work and plays hard, he'll be fine.
He will very very soon. He was a nasty nasty defenseman at Wisco and he was throwing some large hits in the playoffs this year. It's just a matter of time till he is comfortable enough out there. When you can skate like he does hitting adds another dimension to your game.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
  #193
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,033
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He will very very soon. He was a nasty nasty defenseman at Wisco and he was throwing some large hits in the playoffs this year. It's just a matter of time till he is comfortable enough out there. When you can skate like he does hitting adds another dimension to your game.
Only out of fear of irrational Ranger fans.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
  #194
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,350
vCash: 500
I was away all weekend but I like this pick. Besides Collberg I wasn't enamored with any forwards available. He is a physical freak with his skating and his bios remind me of John Moore from a few years ago who now plays for Columbus.

Love that he is going to Minny as well.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
  #195
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Only out of fear of irrational Ranger fans.
No, McDonagh is capable of crushing people and he will do it in due time. Not in the way Phaneuf or some others due, but maybe the way Marc Staal absolutely destroys a player from time to time.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  #196
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Pretty much sums it up for me.

In a draft where defense was the obvious strength the pick is no shock to me.
What do you think? Like him better than Collberg or Thrower?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
  #197
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What do you think? Like him better than Collberg or Thrower?
No.

I would have selected Collberg or Thrower and had a few others ahead of Skjei. My faves were all gone, no surprise to me

I don't have a problem with the pick. None of these guys are far and away better right now. There's a lot more guessing going on in this draft than more like to admit.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
  #198
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No.

I would have selected Collberg or Thrower and had a few others ahead of Skjei. My faves were all gone, no surprise to me

I don't have a problem with the pick. None of these guys are far and away better right now. There's a lot more guessing going on in this draft than more like to admit.
Yeah I hear ya. I was really high on both guys. Surprised they slipped as much as they did. Kills me to know the Habs ended up with both of them.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:23 PM
  #199
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah I hear ya. I was really high on both guys. Surprised they slipped as much as they did. Kills me to know the Habs ended up with both of them.
Habs had a good draft, those ********

So much is made about the size of some prospects I think the more about playing the game of Hockey gets lost.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
  #200
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Habs had a good draft, those ********

So much is made about the size of some prospects I think the more about playing the game of Hockey gets lost.
I didn't have Skjei rated too much lower than #28, but I had both of those guys rated much earlier. While I like him as a prospect, I think the Rangers might be getting a little too enamored with this "big guy who can skate" mentality. Yeah, McDonagh and Kreider both fit that mold, but they were also very solid players in their own right. Nieves and Skjei are great skaters, but they're much bigger projects, IMO.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.