HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster 2012-2013 - Part II

Old
06-24-2012, 02:19 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Some of these scenarios seem a bit farfetched to me.

Let's take a step back and look at where we are right now--assuming Voracek gets resigned rather than traded.

Even if we resign Carle and keep Mezsaros--an unlikely prospect, I think, we'd still have something like 6 million in cap space. When you consider that a forward would be bumped for Parise, there's ample room for a $7 million offer.
Yeah, I think there will be plenty of teams that have the cap space to offer the $7MM range for Parise. Then it comes down to what franchises can offer him a contract that will take him to the end of his career. That dwindles it down to a few teams and the Flyers are one of them. Then it comes down to where he wants to play out of those maybe 4 teams. All things being equal, I don't know if he would want to play in the same division against the Devils for the rest of his career.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Yeah, I think there will be plenty of teams that have the cap space to offer the $7MM range for Parise. Then it comes down to what franchises can offer him a contract that will take him to the end of his career. That dwindles it down to a few teams and the Flyers are one of them. Then it comes down to where he wants to play out of those maybe 4 teams. All things being equal, I don't know if he would want to play in the same division against the Devils for the rest of his career.
Since that would mean he's not in New York or Pittsburgh, I'm fine with that.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Jakub Voracek ($3.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.900m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Scott Clemmensen ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,301,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,998,056

PhilaFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:38 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Parise or Semin please! Parise first choice obviously and I'm probably more on board with Semin then most, I think the "russian laziness" is way overblown. I watched the playoffs and a good amount of caps game last season, I just don't see it. Especially in the playoffs, the guy looked like he cared a lot. The games that went to overtime he was the best player on the ice for them in all 3 zones. Blocking shots, hustling defensively, and being dangerous in the offensive zone. If this guy didn't care he wouldn't be over on this side of the pond. He wouldn't be as talented as he is. He fits, if Parise is not here Semin is my 2nd choice.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Parise or Semin please! Parise first choice obviously and I'm probably more on board with Semin then most, I think the "russian laziness" is way overblown. I watched the playoffs and a good amount of caps game last season, I just don't see it. Especially in the playoffs, the guy looked like he cared a lot. The games that went to overtime he was the best player on the ice for them in all 3 zones. Blocking shots, hustling defensively, and being dangerous in the offensive zone. If this guy didn't care he wouldn't be over on this side of the pond. He wouldn't be as talented as he is. He fits, if Parise is not here Semin is my 2nd choice.
Definitely agree with that, not sure if the people bashing Semin actually watch the Caps but the guy can play hockey, would love him in Philly.

PhilaFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Thoresen?
Loved him

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Definitely agree with that, not sure if the people bashing Semin actually watch the Caps but the guy can play hockey, would love him in Philly.
The guy can play when he wants to play. We all know that he doesn't always want to play, and really doesn't want to play in April and May

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The guy can play when he wants to play. We all know that he doesn't always want to play, and really doesn't want to play in April and May
Agreed. I dislike Semin a lot for his lapses, but at the end of the day, if the price is right, he's a definite upgrade over Jagr and could legitimately return to 40 goals with Giroux. The right price for a guy like Semin is probably something like 4 years at under 6M per.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone is doubting his abilities. It's his work ethic that I think people are worried about. And that "fight" with Marc Staal.

This may be a broad generalization, but I seriously would not take a chance on any more Russians. I know not all have the issues that a Zherdev, Radulov, Semin, etc might have, but it seems the stereotype about not caring about winning and not playing hard all the team rings true with just too many of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Malkin or Ovechkin on this team, but if I had to choose between a Russian "can't miss prospect" and any other "can't miss prospect," every single time I would take the other one.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:12 PM
CoolinWithCosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone is doubting his abilities. It's his work ethic that I think people are worried about. And that "fight" with Marc Staal.

This may be a broad generalization, but I seriously would not take a chance on any more Russians. I know not all have the issues that a Zherdev, Radulov, Semin, etc might have, but it seems the stereotype about not caring about winning and not playing hard all the team rings true with just too many of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Malkin or Ovechkin on this team, but if I had to choose between a Russian "can't miss prospect" and any other "can't miss prospect," every single time I would take the other one.
thankfully you're not our gm

CoolinWithCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:16 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolinWithCosta View Post
thankfully you're not our gm
I have to say, I agree with him. If players A and B are can't miss prospects, with one being Russian and the other from any other typical hockey country, I take the latter.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
itstheroc87

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.750m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Ben Holmstrom ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Matt Carle ($4.750m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Mark Dekanich ($0.650m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,326,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,973,056

itstheroc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Some of these scenarios seem a bit farfetched to me.

Let's take a step back and look at where we are right now--assuming Voracek gets resigned rather than traded.

Even if we resign Carle and keep Mezsaros--an unlikely prospect, I think, we'd still have something like 6 million in cap space. When you consider that a forward would be bumped for Parise, there's ample room for a $7 million offer.
Remember that $70.3 M is just a temporary cap number. If you spend up to $70.3 M and the cap gets rolled back by the new CBA in September, then you're screwed.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
how?
Voracek and any collection of assets not on the roster (Cousins, Manning, Bourdon, Akeson, picks) for Ryan.

I know it's a long-shot, but I would not over-bid for Ryan.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Remember that $70.3 M is just a temporary cap number. If you spend up to $70.3 M and the cap gets rolled back by the new CBA in September, then you're screwed.
You don't know that. It's entirely possible that player contracts are reduced across the board in accordance with the cap or they allow a temporary overage for people to adjust.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where they screw over one of their popular teams, especially if the CBA negotiation drags on closer to the start of the season.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

People also seem to be ruling out the possibility that the cap may be more than the temporary number...

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You don't know that. It's entirely possible that player contracts are reduced across the board in accordance with the cap or they allow a temporary overage for people to adjust.
Which is why I phrased it as an if/then.

But you don't need to know (for sure). You only need to know that it's a very strong possibility. You'd have to be crazy to spend up to the temporary cap, knowing that you could get trapped in cap hell before the season even starts. If the league proposes a rollback of current contracts and doesn't move from that position, this conversation is moot, because you can expect another long lockout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where they screw over one of their popular teams, especially if the CBA negotiation drags on closer to the start of the season.
It's hard for me to imagine the Flyers putting themselves in that position. All the teams know it's a temporary cap. The Flyers can't reasonably expect to pull of a fait accompli here.

The only way the Flyers would spend up to this temporary cap is if they have some bullet-proof info assuring them that they will be safe. The only articles I have read suggest that the cap is likely to come down from $70.3 M.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
hockeyfreak7

I must say, of the big name free agents, the one I could see coming here is Semin. And frankly, I wouldnt mind it. I dont see many teams chasing him with big contracts, so it's possible we could get him on a reasonable deal.

Hartnell-Giroux-Semin
Schenn-Briere-Read
Voracek-Couturier-Simmonds

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
People also seem to be ruling out the possibility that the cap may be more than the temporary number...
I saw someone say that if it went strictly off of the increased revenues (TV deal, etc), the cap should be closer to 73 million or something.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

has briere ever been good on the wing? I really think its time for Schenn to take over second line center duties especially after his playoff performance playing as the C.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
has briere ever been good on the wing? I really think its time for Schenn to take over second line center duties especially after his playoff performance playing as the C.
Offensively, he's much more useless on the wing, but defensively he's obviously less of a liability. I remember it not going well when he was a winger.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Offensively, he's much more useless on the wing, but defensively he's obviously less of a liability. I remember it not going well when he was a winger.
Yeah, he's definitely a guy that needs the puck on his stick to be at his peak.

I don't think it's that much of an issue to slide Schenn out to a wing for a season just because in the long run, I see Couturier becoming the 2C anyhow, once Briere is gone.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

What about Briere as the 3rd line C? I mean we had giroux at 1 schenn at 2 and briere a 3 and they all still put up decent numbers against nj (used them since the game were lower scoring) Briere having 5 points in 5 games, Giroux 3 in 4 and schenn 3 in 5. Things would be much easier if briere just stopped wasting our cap space in the regular season tho

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
FlyersFan61290

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott*Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude*Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub*Voracek ($3.500m)
Wayne*Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden*Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny*Briere ($6.500m)
Eric*Wellwood ($0.580m) / Sean*Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt*Read ($0.900m)
Maxime*Talbot ($1.750m) / Paul*Gaustad ($3.000m) / Tom*Sestito ($0.605m)
Jody*Shelley ($1.100m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo*Timonen ($6.333m) / Luke*Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon*Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas*Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej*Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt*Carle ($5.000m)
Andreas*Lilja ($0.738m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya*Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
UFA goalie ($1.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,457,500; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,842,500

I'd be ok with this lineup. I honestly don't think they need any more offensive help especially not at the expense of d (to sign parise they'd need to dump some salary, probably Mez, and to get Bobby Ryan they'd probably have to part with one of the young bucks as well as Mez). With this lineup offense should not be a problem. I also like the fact that if the new cba has a bonus cushion and the cap remains at 64 mil it's still not a problem.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't think that really will affect the Flyers' game plan. Higher cap just means higher salaries. If the cap is $70 and Suter (for example) wants $7 million a year, that number will just get bigger if the cap is $73 million. The only thing it will probably affect is teams on budgets who won't be able to match the larger offers.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote