HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Darcy Ain't the Problem

Old
06-24-2012, 09:14 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
I don't see that fight in Darcy. I think he's very much "Oh no we can't do that, Mr Rigas/Golisano said we can't" instead of saying "Ok, we need this. Let me talk to the boss and see what we can do"
Like others have stated, this is pure conjecture unless you can back it up. I don't hold it against a man to perform his job in such a way so that he retains it.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:17 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
I don't think he needed to act against the owners wishes, I just believe he could have pushed harder to get what was best for the team.

If you are at work and you need to buy something X, but it would cost Y over budget, but in the end, you know for a fact it's what it'd be best for the company, you would go to your boss and tell him that. In fact, if it was something you really felt was important you'd be stubborn about it. Would you go out and do it behind your bosses back? No. But would you put up a fight trying to get it? Yes, you would.

I don't see that fight in Darcy. I think he's very much "Oh no we can't do that, Mr Rigas/Golisano said we can't" instead of saying "Ok, we need this. Let me talk to the boss and see what we can do"
LOL, Wut?

What if he already knows the answer. How many times you ask your boss for the same answer again? Sooner or later he is gonna think your stupid.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Superhero

Ruff is a problem.
How far back do you have to go to find a forward that has produced better here than with his previous team? How many forwards were brought in since then?

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
I don't think he needed to act against the owners wishes, I just believe he could have pushed harder to get what was best for the team.

If you are at work and you need to buy something X, but it would cost Y over budget, but in the end, you know for a fact it's what it'd be best for the company, you would go to your boss and tell him that. In fact, if it was something you really felt was important you'd be stubborn about it. Would you go out and do it behind your bosses back? No. But would you put up a fight trying to get it? Yes, you would.

Agree with joshjull on this one - we don't have access inside the organization and can't determine how the real relationship.

Most good organizations with good people with have disagreements behind closed doors. No matter how tooth-and-nail they get, once the table is slapped, everyone gets in line and talks the company line.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Ruff is a problem.
How far back do you have to go to find a forward that has produced better here than with his previous team? How many forwards were brought in since then?
Briere, Drury, Connolly, and Hecht. You talking about rental players that are here for 10-15 games?

Brad Boyes was a complete failure. Leino may be a failure.

Its not really a good argument against Ruff.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Ruff is a problem.
Briere.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats becasue we aren't behind the scenes. We have no idea what he has or hasn't advocated for with the owners. Although I will say it sure seemed to me like he lost an arguement/debate with ownership after the captains left with how pissed he was in that presser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Do you do what your boss tells you to do, or do you tell him to screw off and do what you want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
You're simply assuming that Darcy sat back and say 'YESSIR!!' and didn't push against some of these choices.

That's unfair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Like others have stated, this is pure conjecture unless you can back it up. I don't hold it against a man to perform his job in such a way so that he retains it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
LOL, Wut?

What if he already knows the answer. How many times you ask your boss for the same answer again? Sooner or later he is gonna think your stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Agree with joshjull on this one - we don't have access inside the organization and can't determine how the real relationship.

Most good organizations with good people with have disagreements behind closed doors. No matter how tooth-and-nail they get, once the table is slapped, everyone gets in line and talks the company line.
You're right, it is conjecture. But, in the end isn't most of what we talk about here conjecture?

I just wish Regier had a bit more fire in his belly. I don't want him to go full ego maniac like Burke, but more of straight shooter with a singular purpose. In the end it's more of a personal preference for the kind of person I'd want running my hockey team.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
You're right, it is conjecture. But, in the end isn't most of what we talk about here conjecture?

I just wish Regier had a bit more fire in his belly. I don't want him to go full ego maniac like Burke, but more of straight shooter with a singular purpose. In the end it's more of a personal preference for the kind of person I'd want running my hockey team.
That's certainly fair.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

Fair enough.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Here's a negative about Darcy

Out of the 06 1st round Dennis Persson is one of three first round picks who have not played at least one NHL game

That 06 draft deserves a D, and only reason not a F is because of Jhonas. Weber is a 5/6 dman at best and the rest of our picks sucked.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Here's a negative about Darcy

Out of the 06 1st round Dennis Persson is one of three first round picks who have not played at least one NHL game

That 06 draft deserves a D, and only reason not a F is because of Jhonas. Weber is a 5/6 dman at best and the rest of our picks sucked.
Heh...
Some facts to set that record straight.
We drafted 24th in a relatively weak/shallow draft class in retrospect. If you look at the whole list of first rounders, sure a lot have played in the NHL but who has been of consequence ?

Here is the list of who was drafted in the first after Persson.

25 Patrik Berglund St. Louis Blue
26 Leland Irving Calgary Flames
27 Ivan Vishnevskiy Dallas Stars
28 Nick Foligno Ottawa Senators
29 Chris Summers Phoenix Coyotes
30 Matt Corrente New Jersey Devils

Of that list who really is of consequence in the NHL ?
Berglund and Foligno is all. Now those are some pretty good guys to have missed out on but other teams have questionable 2006 1rst rounders also passed on them. Go take at look at the list and you'll see plenty of guys that have very unremarkable careers compared to Berglund and Foligno.

Visnevsky played a few games for Dallas but never really cracked their lineup and is now in the KHL. Irving, Summers and Corrente haven't even played a full season of games between them and are pretty much stuck in development still so it's not like they are remarkable enough either.

I agree in retrospect 2006 was a bad draft for us but considering where we were drafting in the first... eh... whatever. Even good GMs have bad drafts. If you look at that year for Ken Holland and the Detroit Red Wings, it was pretty bad too...

2 41 Cory Emmerton
2 47 Shawn Matthias
2 62 Dick Axelsso
3 92 Daniel Larsson
6 182 Jan Mursak
7 191 Nick Oslund
7 212 Logan Pyett

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

Not really. It's mostly opinions based on factual events.

To be honest, this statement is usually a way of justifying making something up that has no basis in fact. It's equivalent to:

"The sky on Saturn is pink on Tuesdays."

"You've never been to Saturn. How can you know that?"

"Well, it's just conjecture, right?"

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote