HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A thread for every player: Jussi Jokinen

Old
06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
impeach estaalo

vCash: 500
He needs to stay here because the trio of Finns has led us to great success along with the rest of our core

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

He's a great PP producer, on the level of E. Staal (It's awesome that now we are going to have to type E. Staal to avoid confusion).

I was honestly very shocked that JR was able to sign him for 3 million a year. One of our few valuable contracts.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
wallym

We don't have to stay locked into the same rigid line roles that we were in last year. If we have a 4th line that does something well, in particular, play defense, they can take some of the defensive zone against the top line shifts that we only gave to Sutter last year.

Back in the day, when we had Craig and Kevin Adams on the 4th line, they were good enough to take some of those types of shifts.

If that's the case, we can have a moderate shutdown line revolving around whatever line Jordan is on, that takes some of the defensive situations, but can also play a more natural rotation.

Most teams don't have a 3rd line like we had last year. So now that the guy who made it possible is gone, we don't have to plan to have it that way anymore.

Which is important, because a shutdown line with Jeff Skinner on it is as stupid an idea as you'll find, and everyone keeps slotting Skinner on J.Staal's wing.

Anyhoo, the idea of putting Jussi on the 3rd line could be more than fine if it's in the same vein as the Cullen/Whitney/Larose line rather than Sutter/Dwyer/Nodl.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
TheBigKahuna

I'd love to see JR make enough moves that Jokinen becomes a prominent part of our 3rd line. Having to rely on him as a top 6 guy speaks volumes about the Canes lack of firepower.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I'd love to see JR make enough moves that Jokinen becomes a prominent part of our 3rd line. Having to rely on him as a top 6 guy speaks volumes about the Canes lack of firepower.
Yeah it completely sucks that we have a 50 point versatile forward in our top 6. You guys should take a peak at about 3/4 of the teams in this league. Jokinen is top 6 on most teams in this league. But yes, I'd still like some forward additions.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
TheBigKahuna

Jokinen's 12g and 46p being 2nd best on the team last year speaks volumes about how bad the Canes scoring in the top 6 is, not how great a player Jokinen is. He even lost his shootout goal knack. Which was one of the biggest benefits to his game.

Beyond his 09-10 stats, his career numbers are nothing to brag or get excited about.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Jokinen's 12g and 46p being 2nd best on the team last year speaks volumes about how bad the Canes scoring in the top 6 is, not how great a player Jokinen is. He even lost his shootout goal knack. Which was one of the biggest benefits to his game.

Beyond his 09-10 stats, his career numbers are nothing to brag or get excited about.
I agree with our offense being pathetic, but that does not mean he isn't a top 6 forward. 40 points in this day and age make you a second liner, and he will likely give you 50+. The fact that he is versatile and can play anywhere is just gravy.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:19 PM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMPV View Post
I agree with our offense being pathetic, but that does not mean he isn't a top 6 forward. 40 points in this day and age make you a second liner, and he will likely give you 50+. The fact that he is versatile and can play anywhere is just gravy.
Yep, he's an above-average second liner actually. And he had one 60 point season, so he's not horrible on a top line. And the contract's perfectly reasonable.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:25 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
But that doesn't mean that he's not a top six forward.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from a top six forward. Since his big 09-10, Jokinen has had seasons of 52 points in 70 games and 46 in 79. If someone who can reasonably be expected to score 50+ points isn't a top six forward, who is?

And it's not like Jokinen is getting forcefed ridiculous minutes to achieve these numbers...he's averaged 17:13 and 17:40 the last two seasons, which includes a fair amount of PK time. Produces second line numbers getting second line ice time, but isn't a second liner because....why?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

I love Jokinen (his jersey was the first Hurricane's jersey I purcahsed since my Keith Primeau one way back when)

If we can add a Bobby Ryan type, to solidify the top 6, I think Jussi will eat poeple alive on the 3rd line. Like seriously.

Bowman//Jokinen//Tlusty

that's a fairly solid 3rd line with above average scoring potential. Ideally I'd like to see him back at LW, but even still that's a pretty sexy 3rd line.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
FlyingSquirrels

To add a Bobby Ryan type would completely gut this franchise, the cost would be high. Jordan's deal has taken 2 of our top 3 prospects (assuming Forsberg/Grigs would've been our #8).

Not bashing the deal, just not sure how much more we can take from the cupboard.

Last edited by FlyingSquirrels: 06-24-2012 at 09:42 PM.
FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Drcrush

I see him as the perfect fit for Islanders

Drcrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Caniac125330

My guess is he'll play on the first line with Eric and Semin, leaving skinner and ruutu with jordan. That or we could trade him for a shutdown d if necessary. Devils fans said they'd give up Anton Volchenkov for him.

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote