HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part IX: Howson often gives nuts to toothless people

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I agree, but it certainly doesn't hurt to help him drive up his price by making a sizable offer.
Yep...I'm sure his agent talked to him after he said those comments. "Hey Zach, it's probably NOT a good idea to tell the world right before you officially hit UFA status that you aren't interested in playing for the organization with the deepest pockets!"

Old
06-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But the point is he was/is still a Devil. Kind of obnoxious for him to say, "sure, I'll consider our arch-rivals across the river", no?
Usually guys will say something like "I'm just going to keep my options open and look at every possibility so I can be in the best situation."

Old
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
The Wild were around when he was a kid. They were the Minnesota Northstars, although they became the Dallas Stars. But I'm sure he was a Minnesota fan.
Dunno, I know I heard it before unless it was bs like almost everything else we hear

Old
06-24-2012, 06:33 PM
gravey9

I think we need to stop talking about Parise, Ryan and Nash. We're not getting Parise, period. Ryan and Nash cost too much. And it sounds like a long shot to get Schultz.

We need to let Stepan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Kreider, Hagelin get a year better.

And, we need 2 of Miller, Yogan, Thomas, Bourque, Hrivik and one of McIlrath, Erixon to push for a spot with the big club in the coming season. (and Fast, St. Croix in 2013.)

If we can show that much patience (which could be as early as next season's trade deadline), then we're in a much better trading position.

Right now, there's just too much uncertainty with our prospects and young guns. As a result, we are being asked to give up too much talent in a blockbuster trade to make it worth it. We really need patience to see this thing through. I don't want to turn into the revolving door that has become the flyers.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
I think we need to stop talking about Parise, Ryan and Nash. We're not getting Parise, period. Ryan and Nash cost too much. And it sounds like a long shot to get Schultz.

We need to let Stepan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Kreider, Hagelin get a year better.

And, we need 2 of Miller, Yogan, Thomas, Bourque, Hrivik and one of McIlrath, Erixon to push for a spot with the big club in the coming season. (and Fast, St. Croix in 2013.)

If we can show that much patience (which could be as early as next season's trade deadline), then we're in a much better trading position.

Right now, there's just too much uncertainty with our prospects and young guns. As a result, we are being asked to give up too much talent in a blockbuster trade to make it worth it. We really need patience to see this thing through. I don't want to turn into the revolving door that has become the flyers.
The Rangers are not winning a cup with all home grown players. The kings made a great trade turned their offense around and won the cup. Sadly Rangers don't have the gonads to do the same

Old
06-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It's like our players are rare coins and everyone wants to hold onto them! Wake up

Old
06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
It's like our players are rare coins and everyone wants to hold onto them! Wake up
I don't want to give our young guys away, but its not everyday there are two superstar talents available to trade for and us having the assets to acquire one. And both bring what we don't have, scoring and talent

Old
06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
The Rangers are not winning a cup with all home grown players. The kings made a great trade turned their offense around and won the cup. Sadly Rangers don't have the gonads to do the same
Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff? Just about all the young guys will be a little better this season...and we have all year to make a trade if needed.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff? Just about all the young guys will be a little better this season...and we have all year to make a trade if needed.
So let's pray we win 2-1 every game and get burnt out again

Old
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
We struggle too much scoring goals. We need pure talent and someone who can create offense on their own much like Nash and Ryan.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
options are severely limited right now. the pitts whiners are going to be on the market over the next 2 years. everybody will be occupied with going head -over-heels for them and somebody might slip into our grasp.

as anaheim becomes more desperate the cost for ryan will drop if he's not swiped by then.

a trade would be huge right now for either nash or ryan (or parise if he'll take us), but we can afford to survive without it--especially if it means gutting any piece of our team

Old
06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
And when did they make that trade? Let's not act like we have to make a deal today, or even before the season starts. There's plenty of time to evaluate what we have and what we need.

As much as that trade helped LA, I'd say the coaching change helped just as much if not more. That was a talented team before Carter got there.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:08 PM
DutchShamrock

Kings made an opportunistic trade several years ago to acquire Johnson for Gleason, I believe. Canes won a Cup after that trade. Johnson turned himself into a very good defenseman, made the Olympic team. Johnson was flipped in February for Carter with that 1st.

Clearly the answer is to acquire Johnson and trade him away as quickly as possible.

For the most part, cup winning teams have a home grown core that is put over the top with trades. Costly trades at that. I mention the Avs the other day. Detroit and NJ parted with some pretty talented youths as well. Free agents factor in far less, especially those acquired that season.

We're going to have to make a significant trade at some point. One of our home grown favorites will have to go for an upgrade. It's true, Sather's going to have to show some balls and part with a prized youngster. That being said, you have to make a value deal. You can't pay a ransom.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:08 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
The kings made a great trade turned their offense around and won the cup. Sadly Rangers don't have the gonads to do the same
They also didn't have to give up 4-5 assets for a cap killing contract.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:10 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And when did they make that trade? Let's not act like we have to make a deal today, or even before the season starts. There's plenty of time to evaluate what we have and what we need.

As much as that trade helped LA, I'd say the coaching change helped just as much if not more. That was a talented team before Carter got there.
Things fell into place for them. I agree more than less with you--patience sometimes is key. There is an element of luck as well. Rangers got stuck grinding three series out and it caught up with them. That doesn't mean we can't improve in areas but saying that everything fell right for the Kings this year at least once they hit the playoffs. In the finals they were a rested and confident team. That all factored into why they won.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:10 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
It has nothing to do with gonads as to why we haven't made a deal to get Nash. If any of those demands were remotely close to accurate then I am glad he is not a Ranger.

Patience has done us well the last coupe seasons. Quick fixes like trading for Ryan(says he wants to be a flyer) or Nash(Jackets GM has far fetched demands) will do nothing but gut the core instead of adding to a team that already has quite a bit of chemistry.

I think if we add a player like Whitney and Konopka at reasonable contracts short term and let the young guns gain some experience we will be in a much better position come the trade deadline to add another top 6 player for the playoff run.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Lundsanity30

The price was too high at the deadline too in the middle of a cup run. Why would u expect Sather to do anything this deadline? He's just like cashman both are solid, they bring in good free agents, and they pick up people who help, but both are scared to make the trade that could put us over the top.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
You have a valid point. However, waiting isn't without risk. You might find that:

A)the players you want are not available.
B)the price to acquire them is higher.
C)other teams might be in a similar position.
D)The players you are trying to move might not be playing their best.

It's all a guess. Mine is that the team will not win a cup as constructed unless we see some younger players really make a bang. Does anyone really know?

If the Rangers lose a prospect, Dubi, a first rounder for a Nash... I believe the deal should be done. We understand the risks but we can look at the probable upside as well. The prospect might prove to be better than Nash? However, we basically know what we're getting and know how much another scorer will mean.

Forget what Howson is asking. No one has bitten yet.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
lol! brilliant. yea we're sitting on a crew of young zetterbergs...
magically on their 25th birthdays they'll all transform.

lets' sign 2g Konopka and 5g Guastaud. Let's ink Boyes too while were at it, we need another 15g reclamation project.

don't look now we just drafted another defenseman... Yay!!!!

Old
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Also with an impending lockout. I would rather hold onto my younger assets to enhance their asset value during the lockout.

Who knows the implications another 8 mil contract could have after the lockout.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Lundsanity30

To be fair, the Rangers got a lot of luck in that run last year. Hank was insane against Ottawa and without the Richards heroic goal we lose to wash as well. The problem is this team has to work too hard for goals especially when Gabs is lost

Old
06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I really don't think Sather is afraid to make a trade, he just isn't going to unless it makes sense and he feels like he won the deal.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I really don't think Sather is afraid to make a trade, he just isn't going to unless it makes sense and he feels like he won the deal.
Yup and that's the problem. Most of the time, especially with stars, u don't win deals you need to give up talent the other way. That is basically the same as being scared to make the big move

Old
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Which is what he should make sure happens, as he usually does.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Lundsanity30

And we can talk about the crazy demands of howson all we want, but has Sather even made any good young forward available? Heck even Hagelin?

Closed Thread