HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Erik Johnson to Philly

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Let's just say this. Disregarding the willingness of the Avs to trade EJ, the Flyers would simply not do it for Giroux, and it'd be silly to think that Cooter or Schenn couldn't be the centerpiece.
Because the Avs need another center?

The big needs for the Avs are a top pairing defenseman to play alongside EJ and a goal scoring winger. Neither of which is going to be acquired by trading EJ since that'd be filling one hole by opening another.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:31 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
Because the Avs need another center?

The big needs for the Avs are a top pairing defenseman to play alongside EJ and a goal scoring winger. Neither of which is going to be acquired by trading EJ since that'd be filling one hole by opening another.
...Giroux is a center. So if he'd be the centerpiece ideally, then clearly the position is in play. I never said they needed a center, just basing my opinions on what's been requested.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
...Giroux is a center. So if he'd be the centerpiece ideally, then clearly the position is in play. I never said they needed a center, just basing my opinions on what's been requested.
Dude are you really that dense?

I think it's clear people are telling you that EJ holds the same type of value to Colorado that Giroux does to Philly.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Dude are you really that dense?

I think it's clear people are telling you that EJ holds the same type of value to Colorado that Giroux does to Philly.
Pretty sure you can't read. The guy I was responding to said the Avs don't need another center.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
And no one in their right mind believes that Philly would trade him for EJ, or at all. I think people were just talking about the kind of ridiculous overpayment it would take to get the Avs to consider trading someone they've tabbed as a core piece of the team when they brought up Giroux's name.

Giroux is such an overpayment that the Avs would have to be stupid not to make that deal. Whereas the Flyers would have to be stupid to make that deal.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
And no one in their right mind believes that Philly would trade him for EJ, or at all. I think people were just talking about the kind of ridiculous overpayment it would take to get the Avs to consider trading someone they've tabbed as a core piece of the team when they brought up Giroux's name.

Giroux is such an overpayment that the Avs would have to be stupid not to make that deal. Whereas the Flyers would have to be stupid to make that deal.
Man, some fans are such homers I wouldn't be surprised if someone really expected him in return haha. I think this entire discussion is pointless since neither team wants to move either player. I've just read some things in here that have blown my mind lol. I never said EJ would be moved, I was simply arguing that objectively, Schenn or Cooter would be a FAIR centerpiece. That's all. I digress, there are some rabid folk in here (not you).

Old
06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I don't know fellow Avs fans...Something around Couturier and Schenn (I'm assuming you guys meant Braydon) isn't off in terms of value.

But since the Avs aren't in that "we are now totally rebuilding" phase, it wouldn't be enough to entice the Avs to make the deal. I would think Sherman would respond with a simple, "Thanks, but no thanks" if that were ever proposed.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't know fellow Avs fans...Something around Couturier and Schenn (I'm assuming you guys meant Braydon) isn't off in terms of value.

But since the Avs aren't in that "we are now totally rebuilding" phase, it wouldn't be enough to entice the Avs to make the deal. I would think Sherman would respond with a simple, "Thanks, but no thanks" if that were ever proposed.
I meant B. Schenn, I forgot we have Luke lol. THAT is all I'm saying, objectively it's fair. Subjectively, I have no clue what the hell the Avs are thinking or planning.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:41 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:

I was just about to type out something similar and then saw your post. Bingo, well said.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:41 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Pretty sure you can't read. The guy I was responding to said the Avs don't need another center.
Ok so I guess your to lazy to read the rest of the thread and figure out why Giroux's name is even mentioned in a post?

How about we just agree that is all this is..

Old
06-24-2012, 07:45 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Start with Giroux
Quote:
Ok so I guess your to lazy to read the rest of the thread and figure out why Giroux's name is even mentioned in a post?

How about we just agree that is all this is..
When did he say he wasn't dead serious? There is no alternative context. Yes, some other fans said otherwise, but there is no reason to think some people are dead serious about Giroux = EJ.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
When did he say he wasn't dead serious? There is no alternative context. Yes, some other fans said otherwise, but there is no reason to think some people are dead serious about Giroux = EJ.
Common sense? I don't see any Leafs fans posting in here do you?

Honestly though lol it's just a zealous example of what EJ's value is to our franchise.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Common sense? I don't see any Leafs fans posting in here do you?

Honestly though lol it's just a zealous example of what EJ's value is to our franchise.
Haha good point. Look, I take things at face value, I have no clue what his value is to your franchise intangibly, and I have no clue what people seriously hold as their belief without notification or some sign. There are psychos in the Flyers board, so I know people out just outlandish and ridiculous, and not being sarcastic.

I'm just bitter, ok? Sandis Ozolinsh never wrote back to me as a kid.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
JoemAvs

Star players never get traded in order to acquire prospects and picks.

They get traded for a reason.
Maybe he is unhappy and demands a trade,maybe the team is not happy with his production, maybe the team is going nowhere and needs to rebuild and his return can jumpstart it, maybe his contract status forces the team to move him in order to not lose him for nothing.

The only reason a star player gets traded if none of the above applies is , when a team is very strong in a certain position and weak in another and can afford to let go of one of his star players in order to acquire another star to fix the organizational hole. Thats a so called hockey deal. Thats how the Avs acquired EJ in the first place and thats why a guy like Stastny might be available for the right price.

Avs are really thin at D. EJ is our only building block there. He is a RFA and he seems to be happy in COL and the Avs are certainly happy with him.
So there is no deal to be made.
The Avs will deal EJ only in a deal they cant refuse.
So it has to be beyond ridiculuos value. That means Giroux.

So no need to get upset about Avs fans demanding Giroux. It just means that EJ is basically untradable. You are better off looking at Yandle. PHX seems to have a surplus of defensive talent and wants to strengthen his forward depth. PHX and PHI make great tradepartners.
COL and PHI dont.

Last edited by JoemAvs: 06-24-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 900
Nobody said Giroux is fair value.
Everyone said you'd have to drastically overpay.
Giroux is the kind of drastic overpayment it would take.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

As a Blues fan looking in on this, I just can't see the Avs trading EJ, not to mention the fact that they would ask the moon for him. They gave up a ton for him, and he's really the only defenseman they have of his skillset. There's no deal that I could see realistically happening between the teams.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

In what world is EJ worth Couturier AND Schenn? Even to the flyers who have really deep centers and need young legit defenders, there's no chance in hell they'd do that. I think couturier is worth more than EJ straight up, or at the very least even. There's very little doubt that couturier ends up the better player, in my mind.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
In what world is EJ worth Couturier AND Schenn? Even to the flyers who have really deep centers and need young legit defenders, there's no chance in hell they'd do that. I think couturier is worth more than EJ straight up, or at the very least even. There's very little doubt that couturier ends up the better player, in my mind.
For the Flyers he isn't worth it.
For the Avs he is.
There's the difference.

Colorado isn't trading EJ.

Period.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Avs need to add d-men, not take them away. I just don't see it happening.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
CycleofViolence
Avs Fan in NY

Pointless proposal.

Avs aren't trading Johnson and the Flyers wouldn't trade what the Avs would want for him.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
hockeyfreak7

Flyers fans are embarrassing themselves here.

If a Ducks fan asked what it would take for Couturier, all of us would rightly respond by saying Perry or Getzlaf.

Players who are unavailable require gross overpayment. For EJ to the Flyers, it would include Giroux or Schenn+Couturier.

I dont see how Avs fans are being unreasonable here.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
What don't you ask some of the Flyers Fans in this thread who believe that Couturier and Schenn would be an appropriate "Centerpiece" in a deal for Erik Johnson.

The Avs aren't going to be trading EJ because of what they believe that he is/can be. The fact that he is pretty much crminially underrated on HF is just laughable, but not entirely surprising since the fact that a highly rated defenseman, who is 23/24 but hasn't won a Norris Trophy = Bust.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:39 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

2013 first plus Brayden Schenn plus a top 4 defenseman.

06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Avs44

vCash: 50
Quote:
To the Flyers? Yeah, no doubt both would be crazy. But for what EJ means to the Avs, thats the kind of overpayment it would take.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Wouldn't move him for Schenn AND Couturier, just a silly idea to overcrowd our centers and leave our defense thin as ever.

The reason people say Giroux is because we'd need a clear upgrade to what we have on the roster in terms of offense for it to be even remotely worthwhile.

Giroux is the only roster forward you have that would make our offense good enough to even possibly justify the hole on defense.

Thus, the discussion is moot.

Also, those of the opinion either Schenn/Couturier = EJ, kindly mark off your calendars for a couple Avs games next year.

Closed Thread