HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012 NHL Entry Draft | June 22-23, 2012 | 7:00 ET (NBCSN, TSN, NHL-Network)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

vCash: 500
It's a sorta meme type thing that started around the beginning of this past season. It's supposed to be a joke, the horrible pronunciations are on purpose.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
HoseEmDown

Anybody have a list of undrafted players we're inviting to prospect camp?

Old
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
It's a sorta meme type thing that started around the beginning of this past season. It's supposed to be a joke, the horrible pronunciations are on purpose.
Never heard of that until now but I figured it was done as a joke...

Old
06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Anybody have a list of undrafted players we're inviting to prospect camp?
Too early for that.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Too early for that.
I read that Tor and NY had named a couple of undrafted kids they were inviting.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I read that Tor and NY had named a couple of undrafted kids they were inviting.
Don't know who New York is inviting but I'm sure Toronto's will all be prospects that should've been taken in the first round.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...medium=twitter
Quote:
The director of NHL Central Scouting said Koekkoek, whose name never came up in speculation regarding Tampa Bay's first selection, would have been a top-10 prospect had he not missed five months last season because of a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

In other words, Koekkoek's No. 23 ranking among North American skaters was a matter of circumstance rather than a straight-up evaluation of his talent.

"He would have been a top-10 candidate," Marr, at the Consol Energy Center, told the Tampa Bay Times. "We knew that his game had taken off in the right direction."
Quote:
"His core strength, he may be one of the better players in the draft," Marr said of Koekkoek, 18. "He's very strong, but he's one of those effortless, fluid skaters. He's got a game. He can lead a rush, but the best part of his game is getting the puck out of the (defensive) zone. He'll make that good first pass."

Old
06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
CC321

So the Lightning prefer to draft smart, fast, skilled, hard working players now. It's a big change from the old philosophy of getting the biggest, dumbest players they could find.

Yzerman is a championship level GM, which will be proven this year or next, enjoy the ride.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
So the Lightning prefer to draft smart, fast, skilled, hard working players now. It's a big change from the old philosophy of getting the biggest, dumbest players they could find.

Yzerman is a championship level GM, which will be proven this year or next, enjoy the ride.
Yea it's not all about hype. If there's any gm who I think can evaluate "champion level" players, it's SFY.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:40 PM
TBLHoser

Ever notice that Detroit never picks those players everyone thinks is the best prospect on the board at the draft? SFY has learned from the master.....

Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Thrillho

Send a message via Skype™ to Thrillho
Quote:
A stream? They're already done. I watched the NHL.com stream, and the broadcasters didn't seem too concerned with who was being picked in those rounds.
Yeah...hung over from the draft party.... i meant a video... not the draft report... but a video of round 2

Old
06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
A stream? They're already done. I watched the NHL.com stream, and the broadcasters didn't seem too concerned with who was being picked in those rounds.
I got to our 3rd round pick and said screw it....just a bunch of annoying talking heads from the beginning of the second day of the draft. From the old guy picking his nose at the podium to announce the beginning of the 2nd round to where I changed the channel, it was rather disappointing.

I know it's not the NFL draft, but at least show you're interested in what's going on behind you right? They should have just showed the board and shut up.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Hart drafted by Tampa Bay
By Nathan Fournier Published: 24th June 2012

Link>>>
You ever see him on Greely his 08-09 year? Soooo frustrating to play against.

Last edited by Cigar City: 06-25-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
06-25-2012, 06:52 AM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

I like KK but several guys in the top 10 list missed considerable time in the last year with injuries.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
I like KK but several guys in the top 10 list missed considerable time in the last year with injuries.
What frustrates me is that even though he was high on our list, why not deal down if you think other teams are going to be scared off by his injury? With forsberg, grig, and tt on the board, you have to assume some teams were calling yzerman in order to move up. Worst case scenario you just select the next player on your list.

Its different if you think cuckoo is a top 5 pick and fell to you, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
What frustrates me is that even though he was high on our list, why not deal down if you think other teams are going to be scared off by his injury? With forsberg, grig, and tt on the board, you have to assume some teams were calling yzerman in order to move up. Worst case scenario you just select the next player on your list.

Its different if you think cuckoo is a top 5 pick and fell to you, but that doesnt seem to be the case.
Well first of all, we don't know if Yzerman was getting any good offers for the 10th.

Secondly, we also don't know who other teams are planning on picking. Koekkoek might not have been highly ranked on most outsider's scouting reports, but other teams might have had him as highly rated as Tampa did(plenty of teams went off the board for their picks). He was obviously the team's #1 choice of the remaining players, so why risk not being able to pick him either by trading down?

How many interviews have any of us had with any prospects? How many of their games have we been to and scouted them?

We can all pick who we think would be good prospects, but when it comes down to it we know absolutely nothing compared to a NHL team's scouts. Second guessing their choices before any of these kids have even played a single pro game is kind of foolish.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Hockeyfan02

Trading down for extra picks and still getting the player you wanted is a good theory, but you don't know other team's boards. Before the draft Murray said they thought Lindholm would be around at 19 but he went to Anaheim at 6. Mcguire said a few GM's had Lindholm in their top 5. Who knows where other teams had Koekkoek slotted. They probably didn't feel it was worth the risk especially with how d-men were flying off the board.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Well first of all, we don't know if Yzerman was getting any good offers for the 10th.

Secondly, we also don't know who other teams are planning on picking. Koekkoek might not have been highly ranked on most outsider's scouting reports, but other teams might have had him as highly rated as Tampa did(plenty of teams went off the board for their picks). He was obviously the team's #1 choice of the remaining players, so why risk not being able to pick him either by trading down?

How many interviews have any of us had with any prospects? How many of their games have we been to and scouted them?

We can all pick who we think would be good prospects, but when it comes down to it we know absolutely nothing compared to a NHL team's scouts. Second guessing their choices before any of these kids have even played a single pro game is kind of foolish.
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/lightning...cks-ar-419515/
Quote:
"He was absolutely the best player available on our list,'' Murray said. "We think Slater Koekkoek, the only reason he might have fallen on some lists or some may not have been as aware of him as possible was because the injury this year. But he has a real track record....And my understanding there were several teams trying to trade up in the early teens to select him. I can't say that I was a surprise that he was there, but we were very happy he was there.''

Closed Thread