HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion VI: Well that got out of hand (UPDATED contract chart in Post 1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 08:58 PM
  #976
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If we can sign Parise, we really don't need top 6 forwards.

If we sign Parise and Suter, we really don't have the cap space.


I think the amount of money that it's going to take to get Whitney out of Phoenix is going to be a pretty sizable sum.
I'm saying if we miss out on the big fish. I agree that Kulemin and Setoguchi are great options. Seto may be available for the assets we have, not sure on Kulemin. That's a hell of a winger group with Neal and possibly Tangradi if he pans out. All around the same age as our core group and on the cheap.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
  #977
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I've said it before...we are out of the Ryan race. The only asset we for that race just went to Carolina.
Unless Shero wants to deal Sutter as part of a package with a good prospect or two I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If we can sign Parise, we really don't need top 6 forwards.

If we sign Parise and Suter, we really don't have the cap space.

I think the amount of money that it's going to take to get Whitney out of Phoenix is going to be a pretty sizable sum.
I agree with this. If Shero signed both he would absolutely have to dump Martin and Kennedy for no salary back and fill in the rest of holes in the lineup with entry level guys. Heck we might not even be able to afford Nisky at $2m+. If Shero somehow reeled in both guys here's what I think our team might look like:

Awesome Top 6:
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Parise-Crosby-Dupuis

Solid 3rd line if Tangradi develops:
Tangradi-Sutter-Cooke

Meh 4th line that lacks nastiness:
Vitale-Jeffrey-Adams

Sick Top Pairing:
Suter-Letang

Bottom 4 with unproven parts
Orpik-Despres
Strait/Morrow/Bortuzzo-Engelland

AgentM is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
  #978
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm saying if we miss out on the big fish. I agree that Kulemin and Setoguchi are great options. Seto may be available for the assets we have, not sure on Kulemin. That's a hell of a winger group with Neal and possibly Tangradi if he pans out. All around the same age as our core group and on the cheap.
If we could get Setoguchi I'd be pretty happy. He and Niskanen for $5-$5.25m would be much better to have than Martin at $5m for sure!

AgentM is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
  #979
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Unless Shero wants to deal Sutter as part of a package with a good prospect or two I agree.



I agree with this. If Shero signed both he would absolutely have to dump Martin and Kennedy for no salary back and fill in the rest of holes in the lineup with entry level guys. Heck we might not even be able to afford Nisky at $2m+. If Shero somehow reeled in both guys here's what I think our team might look like:

Awesome Top 6:
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Parise-Crosby-Dupuis

Solid 3rd line if Tangradi develops:
Tangradi-Sutter-Cooke

Meh 4th line that lacks nastiness:
Vitale-Jeffrey-Adams

Sick Top Pairing:
Suter-Letang

Bottom 4 with unproven parts
Orpik-Despres
Strait/Morrow/Bortuzzo-Engelland
I think you have to split up Letang and Suter in that scenario. Have a stud out there almost the entire game.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:04 PM
  #980
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
If we could get Setoguchi I'd be pretty happy. He and Niskanen for $5-$5.25m would be much better to have than Martin at $5m for sure!
We keep talking about Setoguchi. Is there any reason to believe they are looking to trade him?

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
  #981
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think you have to split up Letang and Suter in that scenario. Have a stud out there almost the entire game.
I'm all for spreading the wealth, but after you put Orpik-Letang back together who would you pair with Suter? Despres maybe?

AgentM is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
  #982
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I'm all for spreading the wealth, but after you put Orpik-Letang back together who would you pair with Suter? Despres maybe?
That's what I'd do ya. Eventually when the rookies are more acclimated we could stack that top pairing I think. We should probably just figure out the roster now I guess. Lines can come later

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
  #983
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
We keep talking about Setoguchi. Is there any reason to believe they are looking to trade him?
Not at all, Minny needs more scoring not less! And we don't have any forward prospects that they would covet IMO.

AgentM is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
  #984
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
We keep talking about Setoguchi. Is there any reason to believe they are looking to trade him?
He's a hell of a lot easier to acquire than Ryan. They could use NHL ready D-men. Maybe Martin if they miss out on better options.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
  #985
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He's a hell of a lot easier to acquire than Ryan. They could use NHL ready D-men. Maybe Martin if they miss out on better options.
That would be swell. So you're just going on the notion that anybody can be available given the right return basically? Because Ryan has publicly said that he is available. Nothing like that has happened with Setoguchi.

Not saying you're wrong. I just always have to wonder how people come up with some of these trade ideas. A lot of the time they seem to just be guys we want and for whatever reason we assume they want to trade them.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:12 PM
  #986
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater
 
tijuana knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walden Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Per Empty Netters:

Angelo Esposito and Micheal Neal have not been given Qualifying offers Dallas and are now Unrestricted Free Agents.

tijuana knuckles is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
  #987
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana knuckles View Post
Per Empty Netters:

Angelo Esposito and Micheal Neal have not been given Qualifying offers Dallas and are now Unrestricted Free Agents.
well there's the answer to our winger problem right there

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
  #988
redsono93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
What about Shane O'Brien? He's tough as nails and a physical Defensemen. Think he would be a good fit for us.

redsono93 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
  #989
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Again. We don't have the pieces for Ryan. He can ***** all he wants, but Anaheim isn't dealing him unless it's for the right price.

I think there's at least a shot they'd deal Seto for help in the top 4 D.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
  #990
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Again. We don't have the pieces for Ryan. He can ***** all he wants, but Anaheim isn't dealing him unless it's for the right price.

I think there's at least a shot they'd deal Seto for help in the top 4 D.
I know that. I was just commenting on how we have any idea who teams want to trade.

As for Minny, Martin and TK? Help on D and at least a semi-replacement. But I really don't see how they could want to trade away offense. I feel like we'd have to overpay.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
  #991
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I know that. I was just commenting on how we have any idea who teams want to trade.

As for Minny, Martin and TK? Help on D and at least a semi-replacement. But I really don't see how they could want to trade away offense. I feel like we'd have to overpay.
I would make that trade for sure, but I'm a serial TK basher

Adding Seto to the top PP unit would be great though. I could be happy with these two units to start the year:

Setoguchi - Crosby - Neal
Letang - Malkin

Tangradi - Sutter - Kunitz
Niskanen - Despres

AgentM is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
  #992
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana knuckles View Post
Per Empty Netters:

Angelo Esposito and Micheal Neal have not been given Qualifying offers Dallas and are now Unrestricted Free Agents.
So Esposito ended up being a complete bust, Erik Christensen is in the KHL, Colby Armstrong had 3 points last season, and the first rounder (Daultan Leveille) is a 21 year old that hasn't turned pro yet.

Well done Shero, well done.

Harv is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:39 PM
  #993
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,449
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
So Esposito ended up being a complete bust, Erik Christensen is in the KHL, Colby Armstrong had 3 points last season, and the first rounder (Daultan Leveille) is a 21 year old that hasn't turned pro yet.

Well done Shero, well done.
At this point - just trading all those players for Dupuis would be worth it.... I know that's a reach, but the trade will go down as one of the best in Pens history. Definitely comparable to some of the unreal trades back in 90/92.

ColePens is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
  #994
maxpenguins6630
Registered User
 
maxpenguins6630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
If we don'T sign Suter, could we be a player for Justin Schultz ???

maxpenguins6630 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
  #995
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,442
vCash: 500
Acquiring Parise makes running a top PP unit interesting. Alotta LHSs. Having Sid and Parise around the net would be a ***** for opposing teams. Maybe we could try that kind of set-up vs. having Kunitz as the net front guy.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
  #996
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater
 
tijuana knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walden Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
At this point - just trading all those players for Dupuis would be worth it.... I know that's a reach, but the trade will go down as one of the best in Pens history. Definitely comparable to some of the unreal trades back in 90/92.
Ya, weird Duper has been a good piece. Hossa was a good throw-in and we still got the better end of that trade. Shero fleeced the Atlanta GM

tijuana knuckles is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:50 PM
  #997
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater
 
tijuana knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walden Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
If we don'T sign Suter, could we be a player for Justin Schultz ???
Could you imagine...

tijuana knuckles is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
  #998
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Again. We don't have the pieces for Ryan. He can ***** all he wants, but Anaheim isn't dealing him unless it's for the right price.

I think there's at least a shot they'd deal Seto for help in the top 4 D.
Would it be correct to call it ironic that Burns actually had one more point than Seto this season?

DegenX is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
  #999
shureshot66
Global Moderator
 
shureshot66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
So Esposito ended up being a complete bust, Erik Christensen is in the KHL, Colby Armstrong had 3 points last season, and the first rounder (Daultan Leveille) is a 21 year old that hasn't turned pro yet.

Well done Shero, well done.
And the Thrashers are in Winnipeg. He's more powerful than we give him credit for.

New thread up!

shureshot66 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.