HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Patrick Marleau on waiving no-trade clause ?

Old
06-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
There is nothing of interest to me that you'd be willing to give up.
They're a chance Sharks trade Marleau for less than his actual value to clear cap room for Parise or Nash. Like Michalek trade recently and Erhoff trade years ago.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:25 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Marleau is on the wrong side of Thirty and way overpaid. His skills will no doubt decline. as a sabres fan I might offer, Roy, Adam and 1st. Anymore and its not worth the future of your team. The Shark fans who are so happy with him now were roasting him when they exited in the first round again. Enjoy him next year too!
Sharks don't need centers, Marleau plays wing for us now. If Sabres seriously wanted Patty it cost you Pominville+ or Stafford++, picks could be added to balance out.

Sharks most likely won't move Marleau as we're looking for more wingers, top 6 or tweener, not less. That and Patty has great speed and is one of our teams best defensive forwards.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Marleau is on the wrong side of Thirty and way overpaid. His skills will no doubt decline. as a sabres fan I might offer, Roy, Adam and 1st. Anymore and its not worth the future of your team. The Shark fans who are so happy with him now were roasting him when they exited in the first round again. Enjoy him next year too!
You act as if this is the first go-around with fans and Marleau. We'll be happy to keep Marleau and his supposedly declining skills over the crap that people have continuously offered over the years.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
They're a chance Sharks trade Marleau for less than his actual value to clear cap room for Parise or Nash. Like Michalek trade recently and Erhoff trade years ago.
Sharks aren't getting Parise, and a Nash trade would involve similar salaries.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4GM View Post
to the leafs for Connoly,Franson,3rd
I'm a Leafs fan and I laughed so hard at this after some serious offers, then I realized....hey every fan base as 'one of those guys'.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
People are still judging salaries based on the post lockout cap. He may be a little overpaid but a guy like Parise will get more as an UFA and he hasn't had same the consistency or durability.

I would definitely take Marleau on the Habs. Consistently one of the most underrated guys on HF.
Please NOOOOOOO.We got sucked in with the Gomez contract we don't need to be screwed again by trading for Marleau. Berg is straightning the ship in the right direction.No use going of course and especially for 6.9 mil.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
It's ridiculous how underrated Marleau is. Any team would be lucky to have him, and I personally think he should stay on the Sharks. He's not their problem.
100% agreed.

Post lockout the guy's been racking up points, and having a highly competitive team for the longest time...

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Please NOOOOOOO.We got sucked in with the Gomez contract we don't need to be screwed again by trading for Marleau. Berg is straightning the ship in the right direction.No use going of course and especially for 6.9 mil.
You should be ashamed to mention Marleau in the same breath as Gomez.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
nix at home

Quote:
Marleau's style of game should keep him playing for quite a few more years. His speed may decline a little, but that will still have him faster than a chunk of the NHL. Dude's got mad skills (in interviews with the sharks asking who they thought had the most natural skill on the rosters, most said Patty) and his D will be rock solid still. He's retiring in teal, and we'll be better for it.

nix at home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:42 PM
hockeyball

Marleau's stats are nearly identical (but slightly better) than Nash's, vastly superior defensively, plays center and LW, and he's very good in the playoffs, and paid a million less than Nash. How is that a bad contract?

Boggles the mind.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
ChillyPalmer

Nash has played on some absolutely horrendous teams though.

ChillyPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
Nash has played on some absolutely horrendous teams though.
You're getting that backwards, our team is so good in big part because we have players like Marleau.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
nix at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
You're getting that backwards, our team is so good in big part because we have players like Marleau.
Win.

nix at home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Players, plural, is the key word. Marleau is good, but if he was put in the same siuation as Nash, I doubt the Jackets would be any better then they are now.

ChillyPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
Players, plural, is the key word. Marleau is good, but if he was put in the same siuation as Nash, I doubt the Jackets would be any better then they are now.
It does no good to argue this point. There's a cadre of Sharks fans who are terrified that DW will trade away their scoring depth for Nash (which, admittedly, is a raw deal for them, but we're too desperate to be properly empathetic ), and are taking out their fear and frustration on Nash and Jackets fans. Rational argument ain't gonna happen.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
It does no good to argue this point. There's a cadre of Sharks fans who are terrified that DW will trade away their scoring depth for Nash (which, admittedly, is a raw deal for them, but we're too desperate to be properly empathetic ), and are taking out their fear and frustration on Nash and Jackets fans. Rational argument ain't gonna happen.
That's because that particular argument is not rational.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Enlighten

Not that he would but if Patrick marleau would waive his NTC would the oilers fans be interested in him for a second line C upgrade?

Say Gags PRV Whitney and a 2nd for Marleau and demers? Just a thought he can play C/LW is fast and adds some veteran exp to our top 6. Would SJ even entertain this saves cap space for a FA or Nash gives them a 23 year old C who can still has room to develop and a good puck moving d man when healthy. And adds a good LW prospect on the left side.
Good value terrible value or not a bad deal for both?

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There's good reason for Sharks fans to be terrified. This team was built to win and win now. They gutted a very thin prospect pool in recent years and they went for broke. The window is still open but they better start preparing for the next ten years and not the next two. Acquiring Nash would be another move towards now and not for the near distant future.

The Sharks more than any other team need to start looking at a long term approach. It's done wonders in New York and Los Angeles after years of trying to add that one high paid guy year after year.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
There's good reason for Sharks fans to be terrified. This team was built to win and win now. They gutted a very thin prospect pool in recent years and they went for broke. The window is still open but they better start preparing for the next ten years and not the next two. Acquiring Nash would be another move towards now and not for the near distant future.

The Sharks more than any other team need to start looking at a long term approach. It's done wonders in New York and Los Angeles after years of trying to add that one high paid guy year after year.
I agree with this 100%. However, trading Marleau doesn't really factor in. He's very unlikely to waive, and unless he has some kind of window we don't know about, he's going to be a shark for two more seasons. After that he'll either re-sign cheaper, or be let go.

The guys we need to move for our future are guys like Clowe, Murray, Boyle, Niemi, etc. Thornton and Marleau are more likely to retire Sharks than not.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:17 PM
chuck1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
People are still judging salaries based on the post lockout cap. He may be a little overpaid but a guy like Parise will get more as an UFA and he hasn't had same the consistency or durability.

I would definitely take Marleau on the Habs. Consistently one of the most underrated guys on HF.
This

chuck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
SomeDude

Is it just me, or does it seem like theres always stuff about Marleau being asked to waive his NTC every offseason or close to the deadline? He may be reaching Bobby Ryan's point of "enough is enough, move me already."

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:22 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Not interested.

We trade Patty it will be for VERY high picks and top prospects, not veteran players and high first rounders.

Otherwise why do it? Vanek and Roy do not make us better. We are not rebuilding (that's been made clear). Frankly, unless someone wants him desperatly enough to send a top-5 1st back, I wouldn't even consider it. Patty, as others have said above, is not the problem. His year is a symptom of terrible coaching and a terrible system.
But he said please....i'll add the cherry on top to sweeten the deal

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
NuxFan09

I don't know what it is with Sharks player but I think some of them get ripped unnecessarily. What people said about Marleau, people said about Nabokov. The worst part is, the main culprits are Sharks fans themselves. Nabokov was one of the best, most consistent goalies in the game and Sharks fans were happy to be rid of Nabokov and have Antti Niemi instead. I couldn't believe it.

Patrick Marleau is a fantastic player and a great goal scorer. There are few players in this league at this point that can be counted on for 30 goals every season. If the Sharks get a great offer for him they can't refuse, fine, by all means part ways. But until then, keep him in the fold. I would take him gladly!

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Spice Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
You mean like when he got 83 points just two seasons ago?

Henrik Sedin is elite because he posts 100+ points right? Even though he doesn't play crap for defense and plays HUGELY sheltered minutes?

Marleau is an elite forward. Not in the Crosby/Malkin tier, but definitely in the group below that.

He plays center fairly regularly still, just LW more because we have too many centers and not enough LW's
Henrik is elite. His numbers are significantly ahead of pattys year after year.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I don't know what it is with Sharks player but I think some of them get ripped unnecessarily. What people said about Marleau, people said about Nabokov. The worst part is, the main culprits are Sharks fans themselves. Nabokov was one of the best, most consistent goalies in the game and Sharks fans were happy to be rid of Nabokov and have Antti Niemi instead. I couldn't believe it.
Whoa... bite your tongue

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote