HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Common theme of the draft is SIZE down the middle. What is the future of our C's?

Old
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Ugh. I hate all these size threads. So annoying.

No, we are not too small down the centre. The biggest problems with this team is lack of depth on the wings and an elite player (that most teams have at least one of).
100% agree. You can't have everything. If other areas are strong enough, you can forego having "perfection" somewhere. Our centres are pretty good at what they do, even if they aren't big. It's just that we don't compensate by having the depth on the wings atm to give us enough scoring depth overall. If we can get that on July 1st, we can easily overlook things at center.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Ugh. I hate all these size threads. So annoying.

No, we are not too small down the centre. The biggest problems with this team is lack of depth on the wings and an elite player (that most teams have at least one of).
Our 1st line center is 5'6. Our 2nd line center is 5'10. C'mon man....size is a big issue and so is the lack of depth on the wings. You can win without an elite player. It baffles me how some can watch this team get pushed around and not think that we need to get big up the middle. I mean, this has been a common theme since forever. It's like telling an NFL scout that a high IQ QB can be successful at 5'9.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Our 1st line center is 5'6. Our 2nd line center is 5'10. C'mon man....size is a big issue and so is the lack of depth on the wings. You can win without an elite player. It baffles me how some can watch this team get pushed around and not think that we need to get big up the middle. I mean, this has been a common theme since forever. It's like telling an NFL scout that a high IQ QB can be successful at 5'9.
Wah, wah, wah.

Tampa's Bay's first line winger is 5'8. Big ****ing whoop.

Let me explain a little something to you.

Our useless small 1st line center had 60 points in his first full season. How many players in history have got 60 points in their first full NHL season? Let's look at Olli Jokinen. Big guy. Centre. Didn't score 60+ points until his 5th full season.

Then there is a stat called +/-.

Our small useless 1st line center was a +10.

By golly, what does that mean Captain Awesome?

It means he was on the ice for 10 more ES goals scored for than against, mister penguin.

HOLY CRAP! You mean to tell me our first line small useless center scored 60 points in his first season, wins more than 50% of his puck battles, drives to the front of the net, and scored more goals than the opposition?

Yes, I do mean to tell you that.

Bah, useless. He's short! GET RID OF HIM! SIZE IS WHAT MATTERS!!!!

Okay, you convinced me. Hey Laraque, want to play center for the Habs?!

PS. If the best QB in the world was 5'9, talent wise, and you passed on him because of his size, you're stupid. You make things work around him if that's the case.

I can't wait till Desharnais scores a PPG (or very close to it) this season and you come back with "he's short, trade him!" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
100% agree. You can't have everything. If other areas are strong enough, you can forego having "perfection" somewhere. Our centres are pretty good at what they do, even if they aren't big. It's just that we don't compensate by having the depth on the wings atm to give us enough scoring depth overall. If we can get that on July 1st, we can easily overlook things at center.
Exactly. We have two very good scoring centres (especially if we get a 4th winger to help out), as well as a pretty solid young 3rd line centre who could take big steps this year.

Our problem has been depth for so long. Hell, even back when we had Koivu and Ribeiro, the problem was wing depth - not centres.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Wah, wah, wah.

Tampa Bay's 5'8" winger is much, much, much better than Desharnais. Yes, even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB

Our useless small 1st line center had 60 points in his first full season. How many players in history have got 60 points in their first full NHL season? Let's look at Olli Jokinen. Big guy. Centre. Didn't score 60+ points until his 5th full season.

It means he was on the ice for 10 more ES goals scored for than against, mister penguin.

HOLY CRAP! You mean to tell me our first line small useless center scored 60 points in his first season, wins more than 50% of his puck battles, drives to the front of the net, and scored more goals than the opposition?

And then there are more advanced stats, which show that both the Plekanec and Eller lines faced better/more productive opposition. So the fact that his line only outscored those players by an aggregate 10 ES goals, despite personally starting in the offensive zone more often than anyone except the most sheltered players (Gomez, Engqvist, Dumont), and considering he had linemates like MaxPac and Cole...

...much less impressed with DD's stats than you are, obviously. I'm in no rush to start the trade train, though.

Quote:

PS. If the best QB in the world was 5'9, talent wise, and you passed on him because of his size, you're stupid. You make things work around him if that's the case.

I can't wait till Desharnais scores a PPG (or very close to it) this season and you come back with "he's short, trade him!" lol.

Exactly. We have two very good scoring centres (especially if we get a 4th winger to help out), as well as a pretty solid young 3rd line centre who could take big steps this year.

Our problem has been depth for so long. Hell, even back when we had Koivu and Ribeiro, the problem was wing depth - not centres.
Started off with incredible hyperbole and venting, but brought it back in the end. Good job natey.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Et le But

Quote:

While I disagree with you about Desharnais' potential, this I agree with completely. There's no winning formula - talent of all sorts wins, and this team doesn't have enough up front (ready for the NHL at least) to try to purge the team of "smurfs" who are also very good at hockey.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Wah, wah, wah.

Our problem has been DEPTH along with the lack of size down the middle. Do you not watch the games? Where do you think the "soft" and "smurf" monikers came from?

Habs have been perceived as soft for many years now and it had NOTHING to do with the lack of depth.

No one called DD useless. I also am not that impressed with his point totals. He played with 2 big, 30 goal wingers. The same thing people are saying about Parenteau.

How does Laraque even enter into this conversation? There's so much hyperbole and straw man in this post I don't even know what to say.

You would be laughed out of the building if you drafted a 5'9 QB. You keep trying to reinvent the wheel with your small centermen. Yes, DD will somehow break the mold and be an elite 1st line centerman.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:19 PM
CHill Seeker

why the **** do people want Eller on the wing? we *****ed and moaned about no size at center. we now have a 6'2 center who doubled his goal output and is progressing nicely. he looked lost on the wing and thrived at center. what hockey games are some of you watching? seriously. let this kid develop his skill set and become a great 2nd or 3rd line center. we certainly gave up a ****ing 'nough for him to allow him that opportunity. Gally might not be ready for two years.

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
why the **** do people want Eller on the wing? we *****ed and moaned about no size at center. we now have a 6'2 center who doubled his goal output and is progressing nicely. he looked lost on the wing and thrived at center. what hockey games are some of you watching? seriously. let this kid develop his skill set and become a great 2nd or 3rd line center. we certainly gave up a ****ing 'nough for him to allow him that opportunity. Gally might not be ready for two years.
Makes no sense. he's far better at C than at wing. If he can't work at C, might as well trade him because he won't work as a winger. If he's moved before DD, I won't be happy.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:25 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Size down the middle has always been the theme. Decades of smurf lines has caused some to forget this. Dd is a flash in the pan and will be evaluated eventually as the undersized player he is . I dont see a role for him on a good team
DD is a much better playmaker, better vision on the ice than Eller.
Even though DD is small...he is built. It is talent that determine who stays and
who goes...and for my money DD is a much better hockey player than Eller...
If Eller didn't play well on the wing...he certainly didn't play well at centre.
I say trade him NOW...before he has very little worth on the open market.
I am certain the Blues traded him instead of their other players...Perron,
TJ Oshsi, Backus because they saw he couldn't put it all together.
It is not his fault...he's making an effort...he just lacks ability to make it work
at the NHL level.
If DD get critized it is solely because of his size...though he is stronger on the
puck than most people think.

phillytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:34 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Even though DD is small...he is built. It is talent that determine who stays and
If Eller didn't play well on the wing...he certainly didn't play well at centre.
It is not his fault...he's making an effort...he just lacks ability to make it work
at the NHL level.
If DD get critized it is solely because of his size...though he is stronger on the
DD is not a much better hockey player than Eller. DD has a high offensive IQ and is a great passer, but that's where it ends. Eller is stronger, better defensively, better shot, etc. Eller is a better all around player IMO.

DD has had the luxury of playing with 2 big, 30+ goal scorers. Lars has not. DD has had the luxury of playing on the 1st PP, Lars has not. DD has had the luxury of being sheltered and playing "easy" minutes. Lars has not.

That's not taking anything away from DD as he is a good player, but it seems that the DD supporters don't seem to see the huge flaws in his game. And then you go ahead and compare him to Lars and criticize Lars for not putting up better numbers? Makes no sense.

You can like the guy, but please don't tell me that this team can be successful with a 5'6 centerman who needs BIG, physical 30+ goal scoring wingers to be successful. Pleks couldn't play with Max or Cole because both of them were required to play with DD. I don't want a team like that. Sorry.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:50 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
DD is not a much better hockey player than Eller. DD has a high offensive IQ and is a great passer, but that's where it ends. Eller is stronger, better defensively, better shot, etc. Eller is a better all around player IMO.

DD has had the luxury of playing with 2 big, 30+ goal scorers. Lars has not. DD has had the luxury of playing on the 1st PP, Lars has not. DD has had the luxury of being sheltered and playing "easy" minutes. Lars has not.

That's not taking anything away from DD as he is a good player, but it seems that the DD supporters don't seem to see the huge flaws in his game. And then you go ahead and compare him to Lars and criticize Lars for not putting up better numbers? Makes no sense.

You can like the guy, but please don't tell me that this team can be successful with a 5'6 centerman who needs BIG, physical 30+ goal scoring wingers to be successful. Pleks couldn't play with Max or Cole because both of them were required to play with DD. I don't want a team like that. Sorry.
Pacioretty and Cole had their most productive year this past year...and they
both attributed it to being with Deharnais.
Eller simply can't make offensive plays...once he crosses the opposing team's
blue line...he looks miffed...no natural instinct.
Eller limited skill level...is easily replaceable...at best a 4th line player...a winger
at that...because he isn't good enough at centre.

phillytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Eller limited skill level...is easily replaceable...at best a 4th line player...a winger

I can't wait when people start saying this about Galchenyuk next year because he can't turn stone handed grinders into Max Pacioretty while playing defensive minutes.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:59 PM
hogtownhabsfan

I think it depends on whether or not one thinks Eller is more valuable as a 2nd line winger, or as a 3rd line center. if Leblanc could develop his center game, it makes the decision a little easier though/ Galchenyuk and DD are the future at center on the top 2 lines, of that I have little doubt.

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Wah, wah, wah.

Playoffs is about battle, not points.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think it depends on whether or not one thinks Eller is more valuable as a 2nd line winger, or as a 3rd line center. if Leblanc could develop his center game, it makes the decision a little easier though/ Galchenyuk and DD are the future at center on the top 2 lines, of that I have little doubt.
We will never know what Eller is best off as if he's put in different roles every single game and benched whenever he makes a mistake.

I wish we let Eller play another year in the AHL, I wonder where Plekanec and Desharnais would be today if they were rushed to the NHL.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Ginu

Quote:
at the NHL level.
DD can shift to the wing and be a playmaker while keeping size up the middle without trading anyone. Next thread

Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Eller a 4th liner? Okay now you've lost credibility. Moving on

Old
06-24-2012, 10:06 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Arguing over DD and Eller is foolish. Both are great assets.

DD is a fantastic offensive minded #2 center.

Eller is a great young #3 two way center with size, with the upside and skill to end up a 2nd line winger.

Ultimately though I think we'd be best off with:

Galchenyuk
Desharnais
Eller

As our 1-2-3 down the middle. Eller is probably the best of the three defensively, and is also the biggest.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
DD can shift to the wing and be a playmaker while keeping size up the middle without trading anyone. Next thread
Personally, as long as you have a checking line center with size, I think size up front is more valuable on the wing. DD is a pure playmaker, and an asset as a #2 center who can put up 60-70 points a year.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Arguing over DD and Eller is foolish. Both are great assets.

DD is a fantastic offensive minded #2 center.

Eller is a great young #3 two way center with size, with the upside and skill to end up a 2nd line winger.

Ultimately though I think we'd be best off with:

Galchenyuk
Desharnais
Eller

As our 1-2-3 down the middle. Eller is probably the best of the three defensively, and is also the biggest.
Why are we writing off a 23 year old two way player who doubled his points in his two seasons in the NHL despite being horribly mismanaged? Eller might not be more than a 3rd line C but that's basically his floor at this point, and his possession stats are superior to DD's even without consistent help.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We will never know what Eller is best off as if he's put in different roles every single game and benched whenever he makes a mistake.

I wish we let Eller play another year in the AHL, I wonder where Plekanec and Desharnais would be today if they were rushed to the NHL.
I do agree Eller would have been best suited to have had another year in the AHL. At this point though, it's too late for that.

I do still think there is hope for Eller as more than what he's shown (a solid two way 3rd line center). I think a healthy offseason will give him the chance to have a mini break out and have a good year production wise....

Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Why are we writing off a 23 year old two way player who doubled his points in his two seasons in the NHL despite being horribly mismanaged? Eller might not be more than a 3rd line C but that's basically his floor at this point, and his possession stats are superior to DD's even without consistent help.
Um, I'm not writing Eller off at all?

Old
06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I do agree Eller would have been best suited to have had another year in the AHL. At this point though, it's too late for that.

I do still think there is hope for Eller as more than what he's shown (a solid two way 3rd line center). I think a healthy offseason will give him the chance to have a mini break out and have a good year production wise....
Well he's doubled his point total even while mishandled in two years, it will be interesting to see what he does now. It's easy to forget he's significantly younger than Desharnias and a year younger than Pacioretty. There was a time when people were writing off Pacioretty's offensive upside too.

Quote:
Um, I'm not writing Eller off at all?
Forgive me if I sound defensive, but when I hear people pencil Eller as a career 3rd liner I assume they don't think his offense has much more room to grow.

Really it would be interesting to see DD and Eller play together more. I'd prefer Eller as the C and DD on the winger but even the other way around, I just think they'd compliment each other likely. I just think Desharnais' game translates better to the wing and Eller is a much better neutral zone puck carrier.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Again, you sound like someone who looks at the stat sheet and does not watch the games.

There seems to be this misconception that DD turned Cole and Pacioretty into 30 goal players. I don't believe it one bit, actually. I think it's the other way around.

As far as your silly observation of Eller. Maybe Lars should play with some 1st line talent rather than 3rd/4th line grinders before you talk about his play.

Thing about Eller is he contributes in other areas that don't appear on the scoresheet. He's very good deensively, far better than DD, actually. He's also very strong on the puck and doesn't get pushed off it...like DD. When he was playing with AK, he looked great.

So it's terribly odd that someone would compare a guy who plays with 2 30 goal wingers on the top line...top pp line to a guy who plays more of a defensive role with grinders. It's downright silly.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Well he's doubled his point total even while mishandled in two years, it will be interesting to see what he does now. It's easy to forget he's significantly younger than Desharnias and a year younger than Pacioretty. There was a time when people were writing off Pacioretty's offensive upside too.
I don't doubt Ellers upside. But if he does break out, I do think that means he ends up on the wing. I'd like to see him play with DD to be honest, as DD did wonders for Pacioretty...

Quote:
Really it would be interesting to see DD and Eller play together more. I'd prefer Eller as the C and DD on the winger but even the other way around, I just think they'd compliment each other likely. I just think Desharnais' game translates better to the wing and Eller is a much better neutral zone puck carrier.
Ha, just posted something similar above.

Though I see DD as a pure centerman, a guy who can make his linemates better. Ellers size/skill package translates better to the wing IMO.