HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs trade Schenn for JVR (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

vCash: 500
Lupul Colborne/Bozak Kessel
JvR Grabo Kadri
Frattin Colborne/Bozak Kule
Connolly Steckel Brown/Komorov

Gunnar Newf
Gards Liles
Franson Komi
Holzer

Reimer/Lou?
Scrivens

I'd like to see a vet in there though. Otherwise, not too bad with things just heating up.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
thewave

It's a good trade for both teams. Philly is going to absolutely love what he brings to the table. Schenn simply couldn't play the Wilson system at all, it was a terrible system to add.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Lupul Colborne/Bozak Kessel
JvR Grabo Kadri
Frattin Colborne/Bozak Kule
Connolly Steckel Brown/Komorov

Gunnar Newf
Gards Liles
Franson Komi
Holzer

Reimer/Lou?
Scrivens

I'd like to see a vet in there though. Otherwise, not too bad with things just heating up.
My god if I see Bozak posted as #1 C again this year I'll vomit in disgust.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
Thanks, I'll sure be cheering for the Schenn bros to do well

What type of linemates do you think he needs? Kessel would seem to fit, but what kind of centre? A distributor? A bruiser?
Up until this past season he played almost exclusively with Giroux, a playmaker so that would be great, and he has had either a banger on the other side in asham or a sniper in carter so either would work in my opinion.

I know you guys hope to get rid of him, but if Connolly is on the roster I would try him and either kessel or lupul on the other side and see if it works....Connolly, while obviously not Giroux, is a slick rh passer which would be similar.

He did show some chemistry with Schenn and Simmonds as well this past season.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
Thanks, I'll sure be cheering for the Schenn bros to do well

What type of linemates do you think he needs? Kessel would seem to fit, but what kind of centre? A distributor? A bruiser?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
It's a good trade for both teams. Philly is going to absolutely love what he brings to the table. Schenn simply couldn't play the Wilson system at all, it was a terrible system to add.
The problem is Lavi's isn't that different....I am a bit concerned

Old
06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=399114

Quote:
The Maple Leafs Get: LW James van Riemsdyk.

James van Riemsdyk, 23, hasn't yet blossomed in the NHL since getting drafted second overall in 2007, scoring a career-high 21 goals and 41 points in 2010-2011. Last season, van Riemsdyk got off to a good start, tallying seven goals and 16 points in 19 games before injuries (upper body, concussion, broken foot) started to wreak havoc with his season, causing him to miss 39 games and his production never got back on track after an upper body injury in late November.

A 6-foot-3 winger with size and soft hands, van Riemsdyk may have had his best moments in the 2011 playoffs, when he scored seven goals in 11 games while registering an astonishing 70 shots on goal. When he's on, van Riemsdyk has the ability to attack in a relentless fashion, but it's been an ongoing battle to get that production consistently.

Signed for the next six years, at a cap hit of $4.25-million, van Riemsdyk does have a hip injury that has been bothering him, but was recently deemed to not need surgery to correct the problem.

In Toronto, presuming he's healthy, van Riemsdyk will give the Leafs more size among their top six forwards. If he's in the top six, though, that will mean either Clarke MacArthur or Nikolai Kulemin could be bumped out to make room. Of course, the summer isn't done yet, so more moves may be afoot.

If van Riemsdyk becomes a consistent 25-goal scorer, the Maple Leafs ought to be thrilled with the deal and van Riemsdyk should get the opportunity to play more significant minutes than he has to this point in Philadelphia, so raising his level of production as he matures should be part of the expectation. Make no mistake, head coach Randy Carlyle will have expectations for van Riemsdyk to use that size to create scoring chances on a regular basis.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Stephen

On some of those highlights from the 2011 playoffs, JVR looked like a one man wrecking crew in the offensive zone, briefly reminiscent of a Mario Lemieux. This isn't a comparison or anything, but the guy does have a skillset that could translate into dominant offensive force eventually. In terms of talent and potential, I think he was probably number 2 behind Giroux on the Flyers, but as luck would have it, he had a disastrous year which made him more expendable.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
On some of those highlights from the 2011 playoffs, JVR looked like a one man wrecking crew in the offensive zone, briefly reminiscent of a Mario Lemieux. This isn't a comparison or anything, but the guy does have a skillset that could translate into dominant offensive force eventually.
He has Lemieux's hip, that's for sure.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Stephen

Quote:
The high tempo, ultra aggressive attack at all cost game that leaves the goalie exposed type of system used in Toronto is also the same one the Flyers played. Not sure how Schenn is going to do there, but all the best to him...

Old
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Quote:
My god if I see Bozak posted as #1 C again this year I'll vomit in disgust.
Not every team in the league has a true #1 center. If the other lines are solid, we'll get by. Burke may change all this with another trade.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Schenn is overrated and replaceable.

Ya I said it.

The only thing stopping us from winning this deal hands down is injuries.

Good luck to the Luke I still think he is a solid NHLer.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:24 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
It was actually suggested by Burke in his conference call. Something along the lines of JVR being able to play C and if coach wants to try it, it's up to him.
He is 2 for 10 FO lifetime so it is optimism by BB that he can play the position in the NHL. My guess is that Philly had to have at least looked at him there because a big physical center is desirable but obviously not a lot of game time.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:35 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

I think if they are to really win this deal JVRs skill game has to come out. He was drafted as an offensive gunner so while we talk a lot about his size there may be more. I commented before that he might not be any better top side than Mac but not big ice time on a deep club so he could have more to show right away. Not sure if this means Mac is gone or if he drops to the 3rd line.

Last edited by nuck: 06-24-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I look forward to seeing JVR-Colborne-Frattin as our 2nd line one day soon.

Lupul-____-Kessel
JVR-Colborne-Frattin
Kulemin-Grabs-Kadri
Komorov-Steckel-Brown

Bye bye-Bozak-Connolly,Army, Lombardi

Old
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
One Man Wolfpack

I am PUMPED about this kids potential. This season was a mess for JVR. The player that stepped off the ice in the Boston series never showed up this season due to a horrible run of injuries. There is a reason Philly fans are torn about giving him up. All you have to do is go read past posts from their boards about a possible Schenn for JVR swap and you can see that previous to the trade, JVR was not coming here. Schenn is not at the potential he can reach in this league and it is a shame that he is no longer with this organization. However he came with his own quirks and I hope he can find his true potential in Philly. Because if the guy we got back finds his potential, Leaf fans won't be to concerned over his loss.......

Old
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Antropovsky

Interesting how things work out, we all hate/hated devereaux with a passion for making us miss out on the higher draft pick. Now because of Devereaux, and with Holmgren now drinking the brother kool-aid (that Burke was drinking at the time of the draft), we have acquired former 2nd overall pick VanRiemsdyk. Who has the potential to be a very dominant player. I could be wrong, but had we lost to Montreal, wouldn't we have had L.A's pick in the 2009 draft? Where Burke would've without a doubt have drafted Brayden, and not Evander Kane or Eckman-Larsson, which in hindsight right now, would've looked like a very big mistake. With that being said, who knows, very soon, or in a few years, we all might be thanking Devereaux.

Then again, should the Schenn brothers become an iconic force in Philly... look out Devereaux.

Still interesting.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:29 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Interesting how things work out, we all hate/hated devereaux with a passion for making us miss out on the higher draft pick. Now because of Devereaux, and with Holmgren now drinking the brother kool-aid (that Burke was drinking at the time of the draft), we have acquired former 2nd overall pick VanRiemsdyk. Who has the potential to be a very dominant player. I could be wrong, but had we lost to Montreal, wouldn't we have had L.A's pick in the 2009 draft? Where Burke would've without a doubt have drafted Brayden, and not Evander Kane or Eckman-Larsson, which in hindsight right now, would've looked like a very big mistake. With that being said, who knows, very soon, or in a few years, we all might be thanking Devereaux.

Then again, should the Schenn brothers become an iconic force in Philly... look out Devereaux.

Still interesting.
If the Leafs were picking fifth that year, Evander Kane wouldn't have been an option.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Anybody with some free time should watch these highlights from game 2 of the second round against Boston in 2011. This is the game I fell in love with JVR's skillset. Every time his skates hit the ice, there was a scoring opportunity caused by his great speed and long reach. I love his nose for the net, how he does not shy away from going to the gritty areas in front of the net searching for pucks.

Very happy with this transaction.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
If the Leafs were picking fifth that year, Evander Kane wouldn't have been an option.
Right.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing Kadri in a full time role, as well as what Vanriemsdyk can do.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:36 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Right.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing Kadri in a full time role, as well as what Vanriemsdyk can do.
Me as well.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Lupul, Kessel, Kadri, JVr all top 10 picks. Interesting.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Not a fan of the deal, I'll miss the d-man leader in hits, consecutive years running.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
Lupul, Kessel, Kadri, JVr all top 10 picks. Interesting.
Komisarek, Connolly and Phaneuf were as well.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
GalacticaActual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Komisarek, Connolly and Phaneuf were as well.
No way would I lump Phaneuf in with Connolly or Komisarek. =/ The guy hasn't had much success here but he plays huge minutes and is one of the best open ice hitters in the game.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
The guy hasn't had much success here
The team hasn't had much success with him here but he's been the least of our problems

Closed Thread