HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Question about former prospect Jake Gardiner to unbiased fans.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Question about former prospect Jake Gardiner to unbiased fans.

What's the real rating on Jake Gardiner? He was an unknown before he went to Toronto, now he's the second coming. Does he deserve all the credit that he heaped on him or is it the Toronto media blowing a decent prospect out of proportion again?

(Mods: please don't combine this with other threads).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I saw him play once in college. Amazing skater, probably his best asset for sure. Great puck mover, needs a bit of work in his own zone and needs to toughen up.

I always thought he'd be able to carry a second pairing if he reached his full potential.

This info is all from when he was in college. Didn't watch him much in the NHL to know how he's changed.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Sittler 27

Gardiner and Lupul have been the biggest and most pleasant surprises for the Leafs this season, Gardiner impressed right out of training camp and made the team, excellent skater, good on offense, needs to work on his game in his own end. Burke ends all trade talks when Gardiner is mentioned by the team.

Sittler 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
What's the real rating on Jake Gardiner? He was an unknown before he went to Toronto, now he's the second coming. Does he deserve all the credit that he heaped on him or is it the Toronto media blowing a decent prospect out of proportion again?

(Mods: please don't combine this with other threads).
He was rated poorly until he was traded. He's a transplanted forward who is still learning the defensive game. It isn't clear what his ceiling is in terms of being an effective defender. It's probably, but not certainly, lower than what the Toronto media and fans expect. So yeah, he's being overrated, but he eventually might deserve the praise he's getting right now.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Unagi

There was little buzz surrounding him when he was a Ducks prospect. When he was traded he got a lot more attention. We'll see I guess. I still remember how Leafs' fans talked about Luke Schenn like he was Lidstrom and Pronger in one person and now they celebrate him being shipped off.

Gardiner certainly isn't as good as LeafsNation claims him to be. After all is said and done I think he will be a solid 2nd pairing guy who will be a force on the PP.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
airforceones25

He should be a solid player for along time but he's Eric Tangradi. I state this as 99% of Ducks prospects get zero love wether it's deserving or not for whatever reason it may be (east coast bias or whatever). However as soon as they are traded they are steals and unbelievable prospects. Soon the Gardiner hype will fall tremendously just like Tangradi's has.. I fully expect him to be a serviceable player in this league but unfortunately he's not god's gift like most seem to think. Wether it be Toronto fans or Anaheims fans for that matter.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Hockey Duckie

Gardiner had a lot of promise and knew he was learning defense at Wisconsin. But his offense tailed off and Schultz' took off during college. That's why Gardiner was shipped off with Lupul because Schultz had supplanted his place as an up and coming defenseman. Still, Gardiner is a solid prospect with speed, but it's Schultz that deserves the hype... unfortunately for us.

In my opinion, I thought it was a novel idea to have two Ducks, Gardiner and Schultz, play and learn defense together at Wisconsin. That kind of process paid well with Getz and Pears going through the minors.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Gardiner had a lot of promise and knew he was learning defense at Wisconsin. But his offense tailed off and Schultz' took off during college. That's why Gardiner was shipped off with Lupul because Schultz had supplanted his place as an up and coming defenseman. Still, Gardiner is a solid prospect with speed, but it's Schultz that deserves the hype... unfortunately for us.

In my opinion, I thought it was a novel idea to have two Ducks, Gardiner and Schultz, play and learn defense together at Wisconsin. That kind of process paid well with Getz and Pears going through the minors.
Well, rejoice! Cooper and Megna will be teammates at Nebraska-Omaha. I might even go and watch them.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Back when Fowler Sbisa and Gardiner were all the Ducks top prospects this was the way I projected them on another Ducks forum:

Fowler: The biggest upside points wise but also the biggest bust potential (this was the summer after he was drafted). Top end offense and average defensive. #1 PMD (Visnovsky but more of a passer and better in his own end)

Sbisa: The lowest potential points wise but probably the most "sure thing" of the 3. #2 defender (Kronwall but faster and quicker)

Gardiner: The highest potential as a 2way defender. Elite skating and passing similar to Fowler but better in his own end. #1 2 way defender (Duncan Keith)

The labels at the end is my opinion on what their potential is, not what i think they will be.

My opinion in Gardiner has not changed. The kid has legit potential.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
furball411

I know he was one of the best skaters in his draft year. There were a lot of questions about his mental ability in the defensive zone. It's just sad for us that he seems to have risen above what his original projection was.

furball411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I think he's going to be a solid but unspectacular second pairing defensive guy, so this year is probably pretty unfortunate for him, as he has way too much hype. I don't think he'll ever be a big offensive guy. It's pretty easy to think that early on, as he's an incredible skater, but later on I'm guessing it'll become apparent that he's not a big time PMD. Could see him getting run out of town by Leaf fans, only because of the rookie year he had and not being able to live up to it offensively(even if he still ends up pretty good).

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Ashley

Positive: He's a very fluid skater. He also has a very good wrister and backhand.

Negative: His slap shot is near useless. He's never going to run a powerplay.

You can see his skating and shot here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJiMIvCEPvs

He's not a top pairing dman but who knows what he can become. He's only been in the NHL for one season. He could easily get worse like Schenn.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote