HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Nieuwendyk | Nieuwendyk Fired (Post #903)

Old
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
cmwang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
At the trade deadline you sure as hell don't trade Ribeiro because we still had a shot. Don't be so short-sighted.
you could have traded him NEXT trade deadline when he is a rental and still received a first rounder and possibly more.

cmwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwang View Post
you could have traded him NEXT trade deadline when he is a rental and still received a first rounder and possibly more.
Yeah, like we did with Richards.

Oh, wait.....

Maybe Joe would learn from that mistake, maybe not. But he could've got more for Ribeiro today.

06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Eakin isn't a 3rd liner. He just played there in washington because of other players in front of him. He'll take Ribs' place this upcoming season.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I have decided to err on the side of Joe sucks ass at trading, I don't think Gainey is exactly the guy to help him in that respect.
Reports out of Montreal say that the Gomez trade was Gauthier's doing, as at that time Gainey was mourning his daughter and not really involved in running the team.

Rivet to SJ for Gorges and 1st (Pacioretty) was amazing, but all his other trades were pretty even. So if anything, he doesn't win trades but he doesn't lose them either.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Reports out of Montreal say that the Gomez trade was Gauthier's doing, as at that time Gainey was mourning his daughter and not really involved in running the team.

Rivet to SJ for Gorges and 1st (Pacioretty) was amazing, but all his other trades were pretty even. So if anything, he doesn't win trades but he doesn't lose them either.
I'd say he lost big time on that trade for Niinimaa .

Honestly don't think it's that surprising that Ribeiro is traded out of the franchise soon after Gainey gets back in with it. Not saying there's anything to that since he's been reportedly available since the deadline or before then...but yea.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:53 AM
Captain Awesome

I think they're mutually exclusive. I guess it's possible that Gainey got into Gaglardi's ear, but maybe not the best thing to do when first coming back into a new job. I think this is something that has been a very long time coming, and this is the first time a GM feels his job is safe if he starts stripping down the rust bucket that is the Dallas Stars.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
ukstar

Possibly the most stupid thread ever. He even said in his interview he doesn't know much about the kids because like all gms he puts his trust in his scouts. Some people need a serious reality check.

ukstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Homebrew76

Hey guys,

Bruins fan here, but on the Dallas board as I know Ryder from back home, so I like to keep up on whats happening with the Stars.

The Ribero trade came as a shock to me. Without looking at Ribs' contract situation I couldn't believe that the Stars couldn't get a first rounder or at least 2 second rounders and a third line player for him. But regardless of the return, I'm still stumped as to why he was traded in the first place.

Does Eakin have an upside that folks believe he has the tools to be a 1st/2nd line scoring center (60+ points or better)? I'd never heard his name, that I recall anyway, before this trade.

As far as firing the GM goes, I didn't like it when the Stars gave up James Neal + Niskanen for Gologoski. That was an absolute steal for Pittsburg. Hindsight tells us that Niskanen alone was perhaps equal value there.

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of hope for the Stars this coming season unless they can make a decent splash in the UFA market (Parise/Weber...etc), but I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

Good luck!

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew76 View Post
Hey guys,

Bruins fan here, but on the Dallas board as I know Ryder from back home, so I like to keep up on whats happening with the Stars.

The Ribero trade came as a shock to me. Without looking at Ribs' contract situation I couldn't believe that the Stars couldn't get a first rounder or at least 2 second rounders and a third line player for him. But regardless of the return, I'm still stumped as to why he was traded in the first place.

Does Eakin have an upside that folks believe he has the tools to be a 1st/2nd line scoring center (60+ points or better)? I'd never heard his name, that I recall anyway, before this trade.

As far as firing the GM goes, I didn't like it when the Stars gave up James Neal + Niskanen for Gologoski. That was an absolute steal for Pittsburg. Hindsight tells us that Niskanen alone was perhaps equal value there.

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of hope for the Stars this coming season unless they can make a decent splash in the UFA market (Parise/Weber...etc), but I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

Good luck!
Ribeiro has a reputation as being a problem player. I think it is undeserved, but his long shifts and poor play on the PP meant he was probably not going to be resigned and I think damaged his value in the eyes of actual NHL GMs/scouts etc.

I also think the team could have done better at the 2013 deadline and should have waited until then. Eakin has the potential to be a great 3rd line C or a decent 2C, but it seems like his strength is defense rather than offense.

As far as the Neal trade:
Neal was inconsistent despite playing with the best players on the Stars but he was also young and maybe they could have waited for him to mature a bit more.
Niskanen was very consistent, in that he was dreadful every single game. He desperately needed a change of scenery and was a salary dump. With easier minutes he has done better in Pittsburgh, but his value has not been close to Goligosi's for years.
The team had 3 great LW (Neal, Morrow, Benn) and an absolutely dreadful defense, so trading from strength to shore up weakness made sense at the time.
Goligoski isn't as good as the Stars hoped, but he is a good 2nd pairing defenseman, which again was a huge weakness for the team.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Bench
Realgud!

GM Joe isn't showing to be the best at trading. Sure, he landed Lehtonen and that was huge for the team, but since then he's got a modest return Ribeiro and Neal... two of the best top 6 players to roll through Dallas in recent history.

Joe seems like a stand up guy that everybody likes, but maybe that's not who you want swinging deals.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
It's weird.

With drafting and FAs, he seems to bank on the safer choices for the most part.

But his trades have been pretty high risk, IMO (and signing Ryder, I guess). Reclamation projects, guys buried under depth, etc.

Am I just making this up and going crazy, or is it really a theme?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Bench
Realgud!

He's been working on a budget and with limited trade chips.

So yeah, most of his deals will look like safe bets or reclamation projects. You can't turn two dimes into a quarter, after all

Old
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Brand New Stars

Ryder wasn't a risk at all. 2 years is nothing.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Joe seems like a stand up guy that everybody likes, but maybe that's not who you want swinging deals.
Yeah I wouldn't mind a guy who was seen as a bit more of a *****.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Rune Forumwalker

That's really what a team does when they are struggling and not very good. They look for reclamation projects and guys buried under depth while drafting and developing young talent. As the new talent develops they play with the older vets and reclamation projects who provide them leadership and help them learn to be pros.

It's sort of what the Rangers did in the few years before they broke out and became the star team they are now.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
It's sort of what the Rangers did in the few years before they broke out and became the star team they are now.
Baseball?

Because that doesn't describe the NY Rangers at all.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Eh, maybe they weren't a good example. I'm not sure as honestly I can't remember exactly. But teams seem to go this method all the time in sports when they aren't very good.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:42 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Eh, maybe they weren't a good example. I'm not sure as honestly I can't remember exactly. But teams seem to go this method all the time in sports when they aren't very good.
If you were talking about the Texas Rangers you're right. Even though it's a different sport they have shown the blueprint of how to go from ****sville/mediocrity to legitimate contender. Part of what they did was acquire reclamation projects and make some headway with them, only to turn around and trade them during the season. They did this with numerous guys over the course of 3-4 seasons and it worked out brilliantly.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Maybe Joe would learn from that mistake, maybe not.
What mistake? The return for Richards would've been terrible because of his concussion. Not to mention the fact that Richards would not have waived his NTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
But he could've got more for Ribeiro today.
How exactly do you know this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew76 View Post
Neal was atrocious in Dallas in the months leading up to that trade - even with tons of PP time and playing with Richards.

He would've never performed in Dallas like he did in Pittsburgh.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
He would've never performed in Dallas like he did in Pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
How exactly do you know this?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:51 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
A couple of reasons..

1. The Stars did not have Evgeni Malkin, nor one of his clones.

2. The Stars have a weaker forward group than the Pens, meaning that Neal could be matchup targeted if he started showing signs of being dangerous.

3. Neal's production in 10-11 was a regression from his production in 09-10. His production leading up to the trade was further regressing from what he had done at the start of the season.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Probably from multiple seasons watching Neal and seeing him not take that next step, but instead see his development stagnate. I mean, sure, there is a chance he could have taken that step here, but more than likely it's the change of scenery that helped him do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
If you were talking about the Texas Rangers you're right. Even though it's a different sport they have shown the blueprint of how to go from ****sville/mediocrity to legitimate contender. Part of what they did was acquire reclamation projects and make some headway with them, only to turn around and trade them during the season. They did this with numerous guys over the course of 3-4 seasons and it worked out brilliantly.
Yes, I was however I couldn't think of any details that made any sense at the time so I backed off the idea just in case. Suppose I could have quickly looked them up though.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Alistar

funny how Michael Ryder just stepped into Neal's position and did more with the ice time / linemates than the Real Deal ever did.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
funny how Michael Ryder just stepped into Neal's position and did more with the ice time / linemates than the Real Deal ever did.
Ryder is a matured vet. Bring in Neal in the exact same type of trade at the same age and I bet we'd see similar results. Neal was destined to put up insane numbers next to those centers in Pitt.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Ryder is a matured vet. Bring in Neal in the exact same type of trade at the same age and I bet we'd see similar results. Neal was destined to put up insane numbers next to those centers in Pitt.
I could score 30 on Malkin's wing. Anyone with a shot like Neal's is destined to put up those numbers with Malkin.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote