HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Waiting for Terry's signature

Old
06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Better Call Saul

vCash: 500
Does anyone care what Mike Schopp thinks about anything?

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Amd

I look at it this way, a couple of years ago we were sharing an AHL affilite. We have improved the amount of roster talent, I mean roster bonified talent, that we are getting out of the draft. That is what this team needs to do. Teams like Jersey, Detroit, Boston, etc... etc... have routinely found talent in the draft in late and early rounds.

I have to question some of his late deadline day deals, free agent aquisitions and well as the way he has drafted. We have picked players that have not balanced the positioning on the team. It seems that Darcy is finally starting to level it out.

However, the signature moves are hard. I am not sure what everyone wants us to do. How do you trade a way a bunch of talent without much to replace it in the pipleine to get elite level talent. Elite level talent costs a ton. We all know that. If he can hit a couple of good drafts we can have the items to move and continue depth. Until then, we are very limited in what we can move.

Darcy;s downfall is not knowing when to move talent. I think that is the biggest downfall to him professionally. Sitting on players till their value drops or they have no value at all and there is no return.

Amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
or the san jose sharks
Good point.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

The impatience with our fanbase is understandably overbearing. 29 teams finish Cupless like we did each year. Likely for a lot of similar reasons we complain about. It has been only 1.5 years of Pegula. I'm willing to give it much more time to see how we build on Ehrhoff Regehr Leino the Goose trade Grigs etc. - the things that reek of Regier acting like a GM free of shackles. Let's. Um. Give Darcy until July 2nd, maybe?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd View Post
I look at it this way, a couple of years ago we were sharing an AHL affilite. We have improved the amount of roster talent, I mean roster bonified talent, that we are getting out of the draft. That is what this team needs to do. Teams like Jersey, Detroit, Boston, etc... etc... have routinely found talent in the draft in late and early rounds.

I have to question some of his late deadline day deals, free agent aquisitions and well as the way he has drafted. We have picked players that have not balanced the positioning on the team. It seems that Darcy is finally starting to level it out.

However, the signature moves are hard. I am not sure what everyone wants us to do. How do you trade a way a bunch of talent without much to replace it in the pipleine to get elite level talent. Elite level talent costs a ton. We all know that. If he can hit a couple of good drafts we can have the items to move and continue depth. Until then, we are very limited in what we can move.

Darcy;s downfall is not knowing when to move talent. I think that is the biggest downfall to him professionally. Sitting on players till their value drops or they have no value at all and there is no return.
I disagree with this statement. Just look at MAG + Kassian + Gaustad for Hodgson + Selzer + 1st... that was incredible.

I'm assuming you are talking about Roy and here is the thing... if Roy can recover and put together a nice first half of the season next year it will maximize his value (as a rental player)... you don't trade away a player when his value is low unless you have no choice.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I disagree with this statement. Just look at MAG + Kassian + Gaustad for Hodgson + Selzer + 1st... that was incredible.

I'm assuming you are talking about Roy and here is the thing... if Roy can recover and put together a nice first half of the season next year it will maximize his value (as a rental player)... you don't trade away a player when his value is low unless you have no choice.
I was going to ask him... Who besides Roy was he alluding to? Campbell? A pick and Bernier wasn't enough at the time? I thought he killed it with that trade, and I was in love with Campbell's game as it fit us. I'm sure you watched Bernier score two and fight in that debut game and thought "man, Regier screwed this one up. Didn't maximize soupys value"

Old
06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Does anyone care what Mike Schopp thinks about anything?
Grigo really looks like a Britpop singer w/ the haircut he has in your avatar. Looks like he could be in a Pulp cover band or something. Hopefully he is.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Let's see...
  • Personal gifts to the players' wives and girlfriends after the playoffs.
  • Trading for a stud shutdown defenseman with a NTC, and managing to talk him into coming to town.
  • Trading for the rights to and signing the best puck moving defenseman available last summer.
  • Landing the consensus second best UFA forward to a massively front-loaded deal.
  • State of the art training facilities installed.
  • High-end, brand new locker room for the players.
  • Farm team purchased and large coaching staff installed.
  • Scouting dept. expanded.
  • Off-ice and skills development coaches installed.
  • Team charter and accommodations upgraded.
  • On-site scouting combine each of the last two years getting the word out about the new facilities and taking care of young players. An unheralded move that will build good-will going forward.
  • Market value deals for RFA signed early/quickly with no acrimony.
  • Draftees signed in a timely fashion.

All of those things are NOTHING like what the previous regime. Yes, the objective is the Stanley Cup. This isn't a one-year fix or one-year build.

06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Some people need some perspective. The Sabres aren't going to cash in on EVERY player rumored to be on the trading block.

The Ehrhoff signing WAS a signficant move.
The Regehr trade WAS a signficant move.

So in order to make Mike Schopp happy you have to pick one of the best players in the draft, trade up to take another very highly valued player, AND trade for an All-Star? I'm pretty sure the moves the team did or didn't make is NOT the problem in this equation.
He means a LaFontaine or Hawerchuk type deal...and he's right. Not that the moves that have been made aren't good, but that major shakeup that those deals brought is what he's getting at. Something that ushers out the old and brings in the new.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
He means a LaFontaine or Hawerchuk type deal...and he's right. Not that the moves that have been made aren't good, but that major shakeup that those deals brought is what he's getting at. Something that ushers out the old and brings in the new.
So the old wasn't ushered out with the Leino deal? It has to be via trade only? Or we must get a top 10 NHL roster talent to make the unsatisfied complacent?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:02 AM
sba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
So the old wasn't ushered out with the Leino deal? It has to be via trade only? Or we must get a top 10 NHL roster talent to make the unsatisfied complacent?
I was thinking he meant a core-altering deal like the Turgeon/Patty one was, but those are rare today.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:14 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

I also am waiting for the signature move, but Im willing to wait a few years.

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:51 AM
HiddenInLight

I think his signiture move would be the Regehr trade IMO. He went out there and grabbed one of the top physical stay at home defensemen, who had a NTC just months before his wife gave birth, and talked the whole family into moving to buffalo. He is making buffalo a desirable place to be, and that's the kind of move you would like to see as a signature.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I think his signiture move would be the Regehr trade IMO. He went out there and grabbed one of the top physical stay at home defensemen, who had a NTC just months before his wife gave birth, and talked the whole family into moving to buffalo. He is making buffalo a desirable place to be, and that's the kind of move you would like to see as a signature.
Very well said HiddenInLight.
My cousin and her husband live very close to the Regher family, and from what I understand, she's spoken to him and his wife several times on the area. Robyn and his wife (and his parents) were more than surprised by the hidden beauty in WNY.

They went to Letchworth last year and spent time in the southerntier and were pretty impressed by the fall colors, the waterfalls and most of all, the down to earth friendliness of the people in the area.

The schools were very impressive according to my cousin as well. Buffalo has a great deal to offer, if your from out of town and only going by what you hear about our area, you'd never know.

I don't see Regher going anywhere until he retires, I'm sure Pegula and company knew this when they made the move, so yea, I agree, the Regher trade was the signature move.

That all points to a Regher re-signing, at least to me in any event.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
All of those things are NOTHING like what the previous regime. Yes, the objective is the Stanley Cup. This isn't a one-year fix or one-year build.
I love the impatience.

It's going to be interesting to see how the next week goes.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
I was thinking he meant a core-altering deal like the Turgeon/Patty one was, but those are rare today.
Exactly. So how can you say you're not happy til that happens? Those types of moves just don't happen very often.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
sba

Quote:
Exactly. So how can you say you're not happy til that happens? Those types of moves just don't happen very often.
And to be honest, it's not on Pegula to go find it an make it happen if it does. But I can see what Schopp is TRYING to say. Don't necessarily agree with it.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
joshjull

Quote:
And that move led to some exciting hockey and only one first round win. So its hardly a guaranteed path to success.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
FearRipSimonick

Schopp's an idiot, but of course if you call him to contend that article, even in a cogent manner, he'll just bark and bellow until the producers hang up on you. What 'signature move' did Detroit make to win their last Cup? How about Boston? The Kings I suppose with Richards made a pretty big splash, but those moves were a culmination of years of patience and setting the right framework so Richards, then Carter would have the right impact.

Patience is key and there's no magic button that gives us 9 years of crappiness followed by a guaranteed Cup. Detroit dominated the West for the last decade and got, what, 2 Cups out of it? You don't have to have the #1 overall pick to win a Cup. You put yourself in the position to be a competitive playoff team year in and year out, tweaking as you go, and you hope one year is THE year where things fall your way. That's what I'm expecting from the Pegula Era and so far that's what they're trying to deliver. When it's time to make That Move, I'm sure they'll be up to the task. Right now, we don't need to gut our farm system for a disgruntled 30-goal scorer and I hope we don't.

FearRipSimonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Some people need some perspective. The Sabres aren't going to cash in on EVERY player rumored to be on the trading block.

The Ehrhoff signing WAS a signficant move.
The Regehr trade WAS a signficant move.

So in order to make Mike Schopp happy you have to pick one of the best players in the draft, trade up to take another very highly valued player, AND trade for an All-Star? I'm pretty sure the moves the team did or didn't make is NOT the problem in this equation.
Agree with post. And the posts claiming no interest in Schopp / Schopp's argument.

And, if the Sabres go into a win-one-cup, then tank for a number of years, they better win soon, because I'm scheduled for a manned mission to Mars (although it keeps getting pushed back) and, with the interplanetary transit time and all, I won't be able to watch hockey for a few seasons.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
You have to have that type of player first.

Seriously, though, Buffalo's not landing a LaFontaine-esque or even like-value talent for Vanek or Miller.

Best way for Buffalo to proceed at this point is to draft and develop. Once some of the talent develops, the possibility opens for bigger trades.

This article is foolish. As if there's some set list of ways Buffalo can proceed forward to a Stanley Cup or yearly contention.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
And that move led to some exciting hockey and only one first round win. So its hardly a guaranteed path to success.
That always makes me sad. The concept of a team stealing the Cup from Buffalo isn't new to 2006, Carolina, and the mass of defensive injuries. I'm convinced that the 1993 Cup was really Buffalo's. Losing 4-3 four times to Montreal, three times in OT, with Mogilny and LaFontaine injured. . . I can't help thinking that with those two healthy, Buffalo advances. I think that Buffalo team beats the Islanders and the Kings as well.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
That's an unfair way to judge it. Injuries to Mogilny and LaFontaine are the biggest part in only 1 first round win being the result.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Selanne00008

You can't force a premier UFA to sign here even on a max contract. Pegula is going about it the right way. Players talk to each other and are well aware of the changes we made. You make a move or two with trades (we have), we signed Erhoff.

This summer is the year teams are well aware of the changes Pegula has made and how serious he is about making players feel wlecome, their families, locker room upgrades, etc. Every new owner will say their goal is to win the cup. There aren't many top UFAs that make sense for us this year, but we should be making noise come July 1st in one way or another.

Richards and Kovalchuck would have never signed here. However if they were UFAs his summer I think they would have considered it more than they did over the last two years.

Last edited by Selanne00008: 06-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

IMO

A legdrop from a 10ft ladder would be a dope signature move.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote