HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marleau to Edm

Old
06-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Enlighten

vCash: 500
Marleau to Edm

Not that he would but if Patrick marleau would waive his NTC would you guys be interested in him for a second line C upgrade?

Say Gags PRV Whitney and a 2nd for Marleau and demers? Just a thought he can play C/LW is fast and adds some veteran exp to our top 6. Would SJ even entertain this saves cap space for a FA or Nash gives them a 23 year old C who can still has room to develop and a good puck moving d man when healthy. And adds a good LW prospect on the left side.

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:22 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

The last thing the Oilers need is more offense. If they don't want to draft first again next year, the only trades they should be making are for defense or goaltending.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:23 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
what! I thought Gagner was considered untouchable with that 8 point game

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:26 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
The last thing the Oilers need is more offense. If they don't want to draft first again next year, the only trades they should be making are for defense or goaltending.
a stellar offense is a great defence.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:26 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Tell that to the 11-12 Penguins.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Yeah, that seemed to work for the Flyers and Pens this year. Seriously, if it didn't work with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal, it's not going to work for anyone.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Enlighten

This has nothing to do with wanting more Offence. It's about balancing the oilers top 6 while adding grit and leadership to a young team. RNH/Gagner is not the smartest move for the oilers going forward they are to similar.
Marleau is a totaly different type of player than Gagner. He's bigger faster and more gritty which a perfect compliment to our second line. On the flip side SJ already has alot of sand paper in their line up. Gagner is only 23 and could learn a hell of a lot from big Joe a guy who didn't really begin to fully develop until he was in his mid 20's. PRV well still developing is a very good prospect with size and skating ability who I think could fit nicely on the wing in the sharks top 9 down the line. One team gets younger and adds some high level potential the other team gets much needed help down he middle. IMO this trade could work out for both teams.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:13 AM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomehomesmytty View Post
not that he would but if patrick marleau would waive his ntc would you guys be interested in him for a second line c upgrade?

Say gags prv whitney and a 2nd for marleau and demers? Just a thought he can play c/lw is fast and adds some veteran exp to our top 6. Would sj even entertain this saves cap space for a fa or nash gives them a 23 year old c who can still has room to develop and a good puck moving d man when healthy. And adds a good lw prospect on the left side.
nvm.

Last edited by J22: 06-25-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: read the proposal wrong
J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Hertl Power

Gagner doesn't really interest the sharks since even without Marleau the sharks still have three centers better than him (Thornton, Couture, Pavelski). I wouldn't want to add Whitney's 4mil since he would be getting second or third pairing minutes with us and injuries last year make me a little weary. Whitney is probably better than Demers but I still like Demers potential that he showed in the '11 playoffs. PRV should bounce back but when talking about losing Marleau for Gagner, PRV and a second doesn't make up for the value.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
I don't think Marleau will waive his NTC to go to Edmonton

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:43 AM
West Coast Bias*

Send a message via ICQ to West Coast Bias* Send a message via AIM to West Coast Bias* Send a message via Yahoo to West Coast Bias*
Why would the Sharks touch Ryan Whitney? We don't need another immobile pylon on D when we already have Douglas Murray. Going from Demers to Whitney would be a lateral move, and that's being generous to Whitney.

West Coast Bias* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Gags PRV and Whitney?

Centres are the least of our concerns. We'd also like a PMD that can play on the left side.

I'll admit I don't know how fast Gagner and PVR are, but trading our arguably fastest skater (Marleau) isn't gonna help us.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:48 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Can't stand Marleau. Lacks passion/heart. Would rather Edmonton keep what they've got.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:55 AM
West Coast Bias*

Send a message via ICQ to West Coast Bias* Send a message via AIM to West Coast Bias* Send a message via Yahoo to West Coast Bias*
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Can't stand Marleau. Lacks passion/heart. Would rather Edmonton keep what they've got.
If Jeremy Roenick said it...

West Coast Bias* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
That is far from the truth. The Oilers need big veteran two way forwards more than anything other than a top pairing defenseman. I'd say our needs are:

Top pairing defenseman, ideally another top 4 guy as well
2 big 2way forwards (one can be Smyth)
Backup goalie that can push Dubnyk

Currently it looks like

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Petrell

I think it would be better for all 3 of Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi to play in the minors. I think the Oilers would be much better off with Eager gone, Petrell as a spare forward, Jones on the 4th for depth, and Belanger as a spare forward. Hall may move to center, and if so we need another winger. I think the Oilers need to mix some size in the top 6 above, and go with 3 scoring lines. Thy can get by with what they have, but the Oilers need to add more than just Yakupov up front to improve as much as they need. Defense and goaltending were not the only reason we came in 29th. Inexperience and a lack of size and depth up front contributed as well.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
hockeyball

I would think EDM would be far more interested in Boyle than Marleau, assuming EDM wasn't on his list of 8 teams (very well might be).

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:06 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

not gonna happen. the Oilers aren't even going to bother trying to go after veteran star players until they become contenders. and the d-men they are going after are hardly stars....Justin Schultz, Dennis Wideman, Jason Garrison....

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Marleau is a very good defensive player, so you would be getting a good offensive and defensive player. Either way I wouldn't want to do this trade.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Enlighten

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Bias View Post
Why would the Sharks touch Ryan Whitney? We don't need another immobile pylon on D when we already have Douglas Murray. Going from Demers to Whitney would be a lateral move, and that's being generous to Whitney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenpsyche View Post
Gagner doesn't really interest the sharks since even without Marleau the sharks still have three centers better than him (Thornton, Couture, Pavelski). I wouldn't want to add Whitney's 4mil since he would be getting second or third pairing minutes with us and injuries last year make me a little weary. Whitney is probably better than Demers but I still like Demers potential that he showed in the '11 playoffs. PRV should bounce back but when talking about losing Marleau for Gagner, PRV and a second doesn't make up for the value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Marleau is a very good defensive player, so you would be getting a good offensive and defensive player. Either way I wouldn't want to do this trade.
Thank you for actual insightful input into this proposal. I was actually believe it or not under the assumption that Couture played on the wing and not at C sorry my bad. I believed that Marleau was his C. I really think Gagner would benefit from JT's exp having been a young player who took a little while to put it together. Gags has outscored his first 4 seasons but it seems apparent that he is beginning to stall a bit.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Personally, I think Patty'd be a great fit for Edmonton. He could take the shutdown minutes Horcoff struggles so much with and turn them into offensive zone-time. He's big, fast, defensively elite, and has a good rep with being a leader to young kids. His contract wouldn't be an issue for the next two years because Edmonton doesn't spend to the cap.

Only issue is that I don't know what the Sharks would want back in a trade (other than the obvious untouchables) and I don't see him waiving for Edmonton.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Gags PRV and Whitney?

Centres are the least of our concerns. We'd also like a PMD that can play on the left side.

I'll admit I don't know how fast Gagner and PVR are, but trading our arguably fastest skater (Marleau) isn't gonna help us.
PVRs are pretty fast these days ... Paajarvi is also as fast if not faster then Marleau.
Whitney is a PMD that plays left side but seems to have lost a step in his game. Lets see if he gets back to his pre injury self. Other than him, EDM has no puck moving LD.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Oilers need D, not more offense...

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yeah, that seemed to work for the Flyers and Pens this year. Seriously, if it didn't work with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal, it's not going to work for anyone.
It could have easily worked for them. If MAF didn't **** the bed the way he did, the Pens would have been a VERY dangerous team. They were cup favorites going into the playoffs (essentially tied with Vancouver as the top 2). It's about putting your goaltender in a position to succeed and getting hot goaltending.

Even the lowly Oilers had some amazing stretches of hockey due to hot goaltending from Khabibulin and Dubnyk (at different times).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote