HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas to Colorado

Old
06-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Several teams have already contacted the Bruins about Thomas. Avs fans may not like it, but Colorado is likely to have been one of those teams.
Pretty safe to say if either you or I was a NHL GM and we didn't call and ask about players that were advertised on the trade block, we wouldn't be doing our jobs. I'd expect that almost the entire league called Boston about Thomas. It doesn't mean much.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:03 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
You're delusional. We have 2 signed goalies. We're not one of those teams lol
You're delusional if you think either one is better than Tim Thomas. Thomas also serves as an insurance policy if Giguere doesn't resign for another year or if Varlamov shows he's not quite ready for number 1 duty. He also serves as a trading chip; picking him up while his value is low because he most likely won't play next year only to turn around and flip him next year when he's ready to play and pick up a better asset than what was given to get him.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:07 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Pretty safe to say if either you or I was a NHL GM and we didn't call and ask about players that were advertised on the trade block, we wouldn't be doing our jobs. I'd expect that almost the entire league called Boston about Thomas. It doesn't mean much.
It actually does. This is how trades start. The genesis of a lot of trades that go down are from the seeds that are planted with these cursory talks and then GM's sit back and see if anything grows from them. There are trades that get talked about but don't get done for weeks or even months.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:11 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're delusional if you think either one is better than Tim Thomas. Thomas also serves as an insurance policy if Giguere doesn't resign for another year or if Varlamov shows he's not quite ready for number 1 duty. He also serves as a trading chip; picking him up while his value is low because he most likely won't play next year only to turn around and flip him next year when he's ready to play and pick up a better asset than what was given to get him.

Get out

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
You obviously have no idea about Avs goaltending situation. Varlamov is our #1, for better or for worse, he wants to be a #1 and he won't sit on the bench, JSG is a perfect mentor for him and he's happy to be the backup for Varly. We're happy with this duo, we don't need Thomas to reach the cap floor and we don't want that headcase anywhere near the team.

If the OP bothered to search this forum he would find a thread about TT going to Colorado from a couple of weeks ago, the whole nonsensical idea about Colorado needing Thomas to reach the cap floor was shot down back then, so I don't see a point in discussing this any futher.

I hope this thread gets closed really soon.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Nothing

Please take him
This

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

going to put in my two cents here... and not whether or not colorado would be smart to pick up thomas cause who knows? they dont really seem like a legit playoff contender to me anyhow and if iw as them id probably be trying to get the best pick i could.

as for whether thomas should be dealt for a bag of pucks right now though i will speak on. first of all, we got lots of cap room to keep him for the summer. there is a new cba coming. there is no way this rule was meant to punish situations like thomas. he was signed to a contract in good faith. this rule is meant for guys that are signed with foresight that they are going to walk away.

thomas has completely blindsided boston after boston gave him his money upfront as a favor to him and a ntc for the first part of the deal so they would have an option to deal him for assets at the end of the deal.

and the players dont want the clause to effect guys like this either... thomas is clogging up the cap and costing them money too.

so if the owners dont want it.. and the players dont want it... then its entirely possible to me that saner heads will prevail and this clause will be rewritten in the new cba.

if that happens... then go ahead and suspend thomas so he can care for family. its the humanitarian thing to do to give him the time off he needs. but retain his rights and deal him when he gets that problem solved. if he ever does come back then he should owe boston another year of service and boston should be allowed to trade him at that time for whatever the market thinks hes worth.

if i was boston... i wouldnt move him before we need to. alot of our cap room is tied up in bonus money to guys like seguin. we are allowed to exceed the cap max if its bonus money. wait till the new cba gets signed then firesale thomas if necessary but keep him for now imo

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Tim Thomas won't be around when Colorado is ready to truly compete for a Cup so it seems absurd to me that they'd want to interfere with the development of Varlamov, whom they just invested in, when they already have a capable veteran back-up.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
GamingGiant

I think what it comes down to is this.

We want as Avalanche fans to see Varlamov become our young cornerstone franchise goalie. For that to happen he needs to be the starting goalie and needs a strong mentor for a couple more years. Someone with experience that can mentor him and play a few games during the season as a reliable back-up. Giguere was perfect at this last year (as illustrated by his stats in my post on page 1) and with a cap hit of only $1.2 million.

Tim Thomas has the potential to come in to Colorado and take the starting role based on previous play; however, that would be a step backwards for Varlamov's development. Thomas alone will not win us the cup right now, and with the youth of our core that goal is realistically still a few years away from potentially coming to fruition.

That leaves Thomas to come in and be become a back-up and mentor as the only option. I feel that both he and Giguere would be great mentors. Both have a career filled with winning seasons and a Stanley Cup. However, given with how similar they are in terms of what they offer to the back-up role I don't see the $3.9 million difference justifiable.

The Avalanche don't need to take on salary just to make it to the floor this season. We still have to extend: O'Reilly, Mueller, Downie, Olver, McGinn, Johnson, and Wilson. Plus any other free agents that management is targeting to add to the team this season.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You obviously have no idea about Avs goaltending situation. Varlamov is our #1, for better or for worse, he wants to be a #1 and he won't sit on the bench, JSG is a perfect mentor for him and he's happy to be the backup for Varly. We're happy with this duo, we don't need Thomas to reach the cap floor and we don't want that headcase anywhere near the team.

If the OP bothered to search this forum he would find a thread about TT going to Colorado from a couple of weeks ago, the whole nonsensical idea about Colorado needing Thomas to reach the cap floor was shot down back then, so I don't see a point in discussing this any futher.

I hope this thread gets closed really soon.
Furthermore, when Varly DID falter, Giggy played outstanding for us. And Varly didn't even give up, he fought back into the starter's position and earned his position.

Even with Giggy posting less than a 2.00 GAA, Varly managed to hold him off from many starts for almost two months before he hit a rough patch.

Whether outside fans know it or not, Varly played very well for us for 2/3 of the year and had a terrible 1/3 which makes his numbers appear average at best.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post

Get out
Are you saying Varlamov is better than Thomas right now? I don't think you need him, and I doubt he goes to Colorado, but its pretty clear that Thomas is a better goalie than Varly and Giggy right now. If you didn't have Giggy then acquiring Thomas (a really good goalie to spell Varlamov) would be a very good idea for your franchise.

They already have a capable backup, no sense in going out of their way to acquire a 3rd goalie.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I think what it comes down to is this.

We want as Avalanche fans to see Varlamov become our young cornerstone franchise goalie. For that to happen he needs to be the starting goalie and needs a strong mentor for a couple more years. Someone with experience that can mentor him and play a few games during the season as a reliable back-up. Giguere was perfect at this last year (as illustrated by his stats in my post on page 1) and with a cap hit of only $1.2 million.

Tim Thomas has the potential to come in to Colorado and take the starting role based on previous play; however, that would be a step backwards for Varlamov's development. Thomas alone will not win us the cup right now, and with the youth of our core that goal is realistically still a few years away from potentially coming to fruition.

That leaves Thomas to come in and be become a back-up and mentor as the only option. I feel that both he and Giguere would be great mentors. Both have a career filled with winning seasons and a Stanley Cup. However, given with how similar they are in terms of what they offer to the back-up role I don't see the $3.9 million difference justifiable.

The Avalanche don't need to take on salary just to make it to the floor this season. We still have to extend: O'Reilly, Mueller, Downie, Olver, McGinn, Johnson, and Wilson. Plus any other free agents that management is targeting to add to the team this season.
You don't think Thomas would put you over the top? I thought you guys were getting close to Contending...

Old
06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Tim Thomas won't be around when Colorado is ready to truly compete for a Cup so it seems absurd to me that they'd want to interfere with the development of Varlamov, whom they just invested in, when they already have a capable veteran back-up.
someone with common sense, Thank you!

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Thomas has publicly said he's not playing next season. What makes you think he's going to play? Just because someone on Hfboards said so?

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
You don't think Thomas would put you over the top? I thought you guys were getting close to Contending...
Not that close in my opinion.

This team needs to continue to develope it's young core, Varlamov included, in order to hope to contend for the cup in the next 3-4 years.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:04 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
People here must not read the news?

source

It's not so much about Tim Thomas the player as it is his salary may be used to reach the cap floor for some team. If a team can use him for a cap number and not actually have to pay him salary, he becomes at least a trade-able asset. Probably not worth much more than a late round pick, but some teams could be in play.
But he can still show up at anytime and then you have to pay him.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Thomas has publicly said he's not playing next season. What makes you think he's going to play? Just because someone on Hfboards said so?
Bruins fans know more about the situation than other fans, I'm sick today and too lazy to explain, but a lot of us will be surprised that if moved, he won't play. He just doesn't want to be in Boston anymore.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Hans Landaskog

Colorado didn't want him before, hence traded away after drafted, so why would they want him now?

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Frankly, I'd be surprised if he didn't play. Hes competed his entire life to get to this spot and a lot of people (journalists, analysts, insiders) think he just wants out of Boston. Hes too competitive to give up when hes still a top flight goalie.

TT is a very very odd person, I'm not gonna pretend I know anything for certain, but a lot of people around Boston who are "in the know" feel like this is just a publicity stunt to get out of here.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
nycbruins*

Even if you believe Thomas is definitely taking a year off, if the cap stays as high as $70.3 million, there will be quite a few teams lining up to take the cap hit off the Bruins' hands. But it might take all summer to figure out because there's still a chance the new CBA brings the cap limit down.

But uninformed posters love acting all incredulous when they have no idea what they're talking about, so have at it if it makes you happy.

But for team that either are losing money or not spending to what has become a really high floor ($54.3 million as of now), then it would be awesome to have your floor lowered $5 million without spending a dime, which is what Thomas represents right now.

And if he decides to come back? Oh, poor you. You have one of the best goalies in the world for only $3 million cash, or a great trade asset. So if you you don't want to upset poor Varlamov (who's not very good in the 1st place), then trade Thomas to an Eastern contender that the Bruins wouldn't have traded his rights to originally.

But I can see why you guys are really worried about Varlamov's psyche. He's an overrated, mediocre goalie that your management team threw away 2 picks, including 11th overall, for, and then overpaid him. So I guess you have to jump in with both feet defending him, but most of us know you'll be looking for another goalie soon enough, or over-defending one of your prospects as untouchable. Seen it too many times before with too many teams' fanbases.

As a Bruins fan, I'm starting to lean more towards keeping Thomas' rights, using Savvy's LTIR exemption and seeing how Tuukka plays as #1 and how Thomas' attitude changes as the season goes on. Unless there's an opportunity to packahge Timmy's K with a prospect like Caron to get an older winger for 1 year from a budget team that wants to shed salary and still reach the floor (hello Dallas & Brenden Morrow?)

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
GamingGiant

I am still failing to understand why we want to pick up a 38 year old goalie who is at the tail end of his career, to join the youngest team in the NHL who are still rebuilding and developing.

Is Tim Thomas a great goalie? Yes. No one here is denying that. But he would do much better on a team that is closer to contention, than the Avs, as their starter for 1-2 years.

I would rather continue to develope Varlamov and hope that he, at 24, continues to progress and eventually develope into the #1 goalie we are hoping for.

We do not need to take on the additional salary of Thomas for cap floor reasons with the number of contracts that need to be renewed before next season and any additional free agents management targets.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Even if you believe Thomas is definitely taking a year off, if the cap stays as high as $70.3 million, there will be quite a few teams lining up to take the cap hit off the Bruins' hands. But it might take all summer to figure out because there's still a chance the new CBA brings the cap limit down.

But uninformed posters love acting all incredulous when they have no idea what they're talking about, so have at it if it makes you happy.

But for team that either are losing money or not spending to what has become a really high floor ($54.3 million as of now), then it would be awesome to have your floor lowered $5 million without spending a dime, which is what Thomas represents right now.

And if he decides to come back? Oh, poor you. You have one of the best goalies in the world for only $3 million cash, or a great trade asset. So if you you don't want to upset poor Varlamov (who's not very good in the 1st place), then trade Thomas to an Eastern contender that the Bruins wouldn't have traded his rights to originally.

But I can see why you guys are really worried about Varlamov's psyche. He's an overrated, mediocre goalie that your management team threw away 2 picks, including 11th overall, for, and then overpaid him. So I guess you have to jump in with both feet defending him, but most of us know you'll be looking for another goalie soon enough, or over-defending one of your prospects as untouchable. Seen it too many times before with too many teams' fanbases.

As a Bruins fan, I'm starting to lean more towards keeping Thomas' rights, using Savvy's LTIR exemption and seeing how Tuukka plays as #1 and how Thomas' attitude changes as the season goes on. Unless there's an opportunity to packahge Timmy's K with a prospect like Caron to get an older winger for 1 year from a budget team that wants to shed salary and still reach the floor (hello Dallas & Brenden Morrow?)
Yikes, you guys are going way overboard here. If Thomas is such a valuable trade asset I don't understand why we're on the fourth page of Bruins fans trying to pawn him off on us. This idea that Colorado needs every dollar to make the cap floor is pervasive, but not actually true, and we have a young starting goalie with a capable veteran backup (as has also be iterated over and over). Don't really know what ground you have to stand on acting high-and-mighty over "incredulous, uniformed posters", as you obviously didn't see Varlamov play very much last year (maybe just when he shut out the defending cup champs in the second game of the season, and the only meeting between the two teams).

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:49 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post

Lol. I can't believe I took the time to read this train wreck of a post.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Tim Thomas is a mental case. We don't want anything to do with him in Colorado especially around a young team. Adding Tim Thomas will be a step in the wrong direction because he will probably ruin the locker room and destroy any momentum the team has. And anyways Varlamov is wayyyyyy better than Thomas has ever been and ever will be. We got Gigure as a back up who's just as good if not better than Thomas and is a great mentor for varly. I wouldn't want Thomas anywhere near varly cuz his selfish attitude may be contagious.

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
323 Krejci 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Tim Thomas is a mental case. We don't want anything to do with him in Colorado especially around a young team. Adding Tim Thomas will be a step in the wrong direction because he will probably ruin the locker room and destroy any momentum the team has. And anyways Varlamov is wayyyyyy better than Thomas has ever been and ever will be. We got Gigure as a back up who's just as good if not better than Thomas and is a great mentor for varly. I wouldn't want Thomas anywhere near varly cuz his selfish attitude may be contagious.
honestly not sure if this is serious? a joke? or just straight trollin? but if you actually believe this, you have just made everyone in this thread dumber for reading your post, and may god have mercy on your soul.

323 Krejci 7 is offline   Reply With Quote