HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz to Vancouver? UPD: MG, AV and Gilman in TOR to meet Schultz's camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 03:25 AM
KISSland

vCash: 500
He's going to Toronto. Guaranteed.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:36 AM
JAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
He's going to Toronto. Guaranteed.
i love quoting

Old
06-25-2012, 03:49 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
i love quoting
Willing to do an avatar bet? If he comes here you pick the avatar for two weeks. If he goes to Toronto I pick the avatar for two weeks and if he goes elsewhere its voided? DEAL OR NO DEAL?

Old
06-25-2012, 03:53 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Willing to do an avatar bet? If he comes here you pick the avatar for two weeks. If he goes to Toronto I pick the avatar for two weeks and if he goes elsewhere its voided? DEAL OR NO DEAL?
lol two week avatar bet? Why don't you just bet air. 1 year term.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:55 AM
pahlsson

so he likes adam sandler, nickelback, and edmonton. don't want this guy anymore.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:56 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
lol two week avatar bet? Why don't you just bet air. 1 year term.
**** that. Max I go is a month. I have to protect my investment in case of a loss.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:01 AM
BrandonL

Most of the speculation seems to link him with Toronto and Edmonton. If I had to guess, I'd say he probably ends up in Toronto.

You have to figure he already made his decision months ago when he went down this path. I doubt he will end up in Vancouver. If I was in his position, I wouldn't be thrilled about playing for AV and Bowness.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I'm not seeing how Toronto is a great fit for him. It's a poor team with a crowded blueline. If he wants icetime, Edmonton makes a lot more sense. IMO the whole Gardnner connection is way overblown. People act like they are soulmates or something.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:09 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
**** that. Max I go is a month. I have to protect my investment in case of a loss.
Not much of a "guarantee" then.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:14 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I'm not seeing how Toronto is a great fit for him. It's a poor team with a crowded blueline. If he wants icetime, Edmonton makes a lot more sense. IMO the whole Gardnner connection is way overblown. People act like they are soulmates or something.
Like someone mentioned previously, what young guy would willingly choose to play in Edmonton? Plus they still don't have a coach, so that's a pretty hard sell job for the Oilers.

Burke and the Toronto media would hype Schultz relentlessly. He would be given every opportunity to play in the top four. It's the exact same thing we will see with JVR this year. These kids are going to be touted as saviors for the franchise.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:16 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Not much of a "guarantee" then.

It's my car salesman guarantee .

Old
06-25-2012, 04:19 AM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, he would've had to finish out one more year in the NCAA.

If I was in his position, that's definitely what I would have done, though. Would have been a bidding war for his services and he would have been able to pick/choose which goaltending-thin team he'd sign for.

Would probably already have been an NHL starter for a couple years if he'd done that. Props to him that he didn't.
You have to remember Schneider wasn't this good back then. He was still developing.

He'd have to have been pretty damn confident that he'd attract teams as a UFA in a few years.

He developed in the system under Arniel on the Moose and progressively got better and better to the point now where he's a pseudo-star.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:58 AM
ayoshi

Isn't a similar situation why we hate BJ Dumberger?

Anyway, hope we get Schultz. Not likely though.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
so he likes adam sandler, nickelback, and edmonton. don't want this guy anymore.
You forgot the worst one: American Eagle.

Okay, Edmonton is worse. But AE is a close second.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

It's tough to gauge where he signs right now.

He did say he wants to sign with a Canadian team. Does anyone know if he's worked with any particular coach/asst coach in the NHL before?

His chances of signing with us is meh. Gillis seems like a hardass and I'm not 100% sure he will throw a max ELC + max bonus for Schultz. I hope he does though.

Benefit of going to the Leafs: Gardiner - solid partner and can probably rack up a ton of points with him. But I don't know what direction Carlyle is going. Could hamper his offensive production.

Benefit of going to the Oilers: Essentially pulling a LeBron James without paying his dues in Cleveland first, or in Schultz's case, in Anaheim. Might yield insane amount of points on the PP with Eberle-RNH-Hall-Yakupov-Schultz (that made me poo just a little). Downside is Edmonton has no coach right now and is not a very well run organization.

Benefit of going to Vancouver: Close to home and family. Canucks are a solid organization, and if he's really looking to improve as a player, this is where he should come. Downside? AV's lineup could be hard to crack, but once you make him fall in love with you, you'll get a ton of minutes (Rome/Glass) no matter how much ass you suck.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
You forgot the worst one: American Eagle.

Okay, Edmonton is worse. But AE is a close second.
Jeez. Nickelback, liking Edmonton and a grown man wearing American eagle? Maybe we should question his character because of his horrendous tastes.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Why wouldn't he take the Oilers or the Leafs over us?

Sure, you're not in Cup contention right away, but you get more minutes, more roles and you're playing with more players from your neck of the woods. I'd give Toronto the benefit of the doubt after unloading Schenn, but Edmonton isn't far behind. And we're the longshot, which doesn't bother me too much because we have other options in Garrison, who I really think we should be focusing on more.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Why wouldn't he take the Oilers or the Leafs over us?

Sure, you're not in Cup contention right away, but you get more minutes, more roles and you're playing with more players from your neck of the woods. I'd give Toronto the benefit of the doubt after unloading Schenn, but Edmonton isn't far behind. And we're the longshot, which doesn't bother me too much because we have other options in Garrison, who I really think we should be focusing on more.
He's going to play wherever he has the best chance to produce and achieve his bonuses> This way he'll have more money to buy Nickelback concert tickets and American Eagle apparel.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

After the CoHo fiasco I don't think Gillis tries to much to appease Schultz and guarantee him playing time. He's not going to make promises like that or even go after a young prospect who wants to manage the situation regarding playing time. Our team works according to zone starts and earned playing time. That is not going to change, even to sign a good Dman like Schultz.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
MikeK

vCash: 9811
I agree with you, Jonavision. It wouldn't surprise me if Gillis isn't interested in the least with him.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
tantalum

Now I'm not a young UFA set to sign for millions but if I were I wouldn't be even considering Edmonton. Sure the icetime looks attractive. A young core and a lot of PP time. But the organization is directionless. They don't have a coach despite removing the previous coach over a month ago and a week away from July 1. No one to partner with on the blueline and avoid being thrown to the wolves. No goaltending. It's a silly situation to put yourself in. It's pretty much like signing with a team like the Isles which is a team NO one would expect to have a shot at a high profile young guy in this situation. Honestly, unless the Oilers announce a coach well before jUly 1 I think they've pretty much taken themselves out of the running for any reasonably notable UFA. Which really just speaks volumes as to how the organization is run.

Toronto...The Leafs are more attractive but not because his friend is there. I do think the friendship thing is over rated. We rarely see that. However, they have Carlyle who is good at developing young players. But again, it is sort of a directionless organization right now. Poor blueline, NO goaltending.

Then you have a whole host of teams that may not guarantee a guy 20+ minutes a night but have a need for this type of player and have a direction. That can provide a far better environment to develop and a much better chance of success. The canucks are but one of those teams. And people need to lay off the AV won't play him stuff. AV has no issue with young players. He has issues with young players who don't put forth a consistent effort and can't play the defensive side of the puck. If a young guy does those two things and he has talent to be a regular he will be a regular. See Tanev for example (who was only in the AHL because of cap issues. Something the canucks should not have this upcoming season).

It's up to Schultz of course but if I were advising him I would be telling him that icetime isn't everything and trying to make sure he avoids teams like the Oilers and Leafs (and Isles and jackets...). He needs to think about what's better for his development not how much icetime he gets. IMO that means a good team with a strong veteran core where he won't have the weight of the entire blueline on his shoulders.

I also have no doubt that Gillis would love to add Schultz to the blueline. He's going to receive 29 offers today.

Last edited by tantalum: 06-25-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Bleach Clean

As a competitor, you have to want to _earn_ your ice-time. Otherwise, how good are you really? If your team goes out there and loses 40 games a year, what's the point of you getting 20+ min a night? Is that making you better?

I pump DET's tires here all the time, but if it's one thing this organization has taught us, it's that winning begets winning. One generation teaches the other how its done. And winning _management_ is absolutely critical to long-term success. I would say that it's everything. TOR and EDM don't have that. VAN does.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:40 AM
trytobe

He can definitely help the team. Not sure I want a character like this on the Canucks though. A big part of why the Canucks have been able to be so competitive the last few seasons is our players' loyalty to the organization that treated them well. This kid doesn't seem to even know the meaning of the word.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Now I'm not a young UFA set to sign for millions but if I were I wouldn't be even considering Edmonton. Sure the icetime looks attractive. A young core and a lot of PP time. But the organization is directionless. They don't have a coach despite removing the previous coach over a month ago and a week away from July 1. No one to partner with on the blueline and avoid being thrown to the wolves. No goaltending. It's a silly situation to put yourself in. It's pretty much like signing with a team like the Isles which is a team NO one would expect to have a shot at a high profile young guy in this situation. Honestly, unless the Oilers announce a coach well before jUly 1 I think they've pretty much taken themselves out of the running for any reasonably notable UFA. Which really just speaks volumes as to how the organization is run.

(trimmed)

I also have no doubt that Gillis would love to add Schultz to the blueline. He's going to receive 29 offers today.
Another thing to consider is is mentoring, who would you rather learn from: noted d-bag and lockerroom cancer Phaneuf or community man Dan Hamhuis and the bionic man Sami Salo?

Old
06-25-2012, 10:53 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
He can definitely help the team. Not sure I want a character like this on the Canucks though. A big part of why the Canucks have been able to be so competitive the last few seasons is our players' loyalty to the organization that treated them well. This kid doesn't seem to even know the meaning of the word.
I am confused at these sort of statements ... exactly what has he done ... other than not sign with Ana ... to suggest that there are any "character" issues to deal with.

Closed Thread