HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Adult Hockey League Talk, Pt. 2

Old
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
I was curious to know if a player in the SIAHL that plays in DDDD can drop down to EEEE? Played against a team the other day that had a player that plays in DDDD and ended up scoring more than half of his team's goal.
Technically a player that plays in 5D + can't play in E level at all. The 3 level rule is supposed to apply post E level. That said, only a few guys are ever told they can't play. Usually its when they score 3,342 goals in a 16 game season. Then he might be asked to move up.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

Quote:
I was curious to know if a player in the SIAHL that plays in DDDD can drop down to EEEE? Played against a team the other day that had a player that plays in DDDD and ended up scoring more than half of his team's goal.
They don't care...

There are A/B players all the way down in 5D..

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
They don't care...

There are A/B players all the way down in 5D..
What team? I haven't seen any.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Technically a player that plays in 5D + can't play in E level at all. The 3 level rule is supposed to apply post E level. That said, only a few guys are ever told they can't play. Usually its when they score 3,342 goals in a 16 game season. Then he might be asked to move up.
Thanks for the info! I realize that playing against better player(s) can help lesser players improve; but it's really deflating when the player(s) that play down take a game that could be relatively close to a very lopsided finish. It's almost like SIAHL has a monopoly on adult rec league. Sure there are other places; Vallco or up on the peninsula; but the proximity of Sharks Ice and the quality of the ice makes it hard to play elsewhere.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Trojan35

Quote:

Actually, there is a separate rule for E. While Tyler's almost never enforced the 3 division rule, 2 seasons ago Tyler sent out an email to the Captains that he would be enforcing some rules in E. He specified that 4D and 5D players could play as low as EEE, but not 4E. Anyone 3D or above could not play anywhere in E. He then moved most of the E level teams with C and B players up to 5D and 4D. This was a good thing, as having some B level players playing in EE and EEE was ridiculous.

This current season, he moved the 4E division down to 5E, so maybe 4E is eligible for 4D/5D players now where it wasn't before.

Also since then, he's pretty much relaxed the rule. There's quite a few DD and DDD players playing in the E's, even though technically they're not eligible.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Trojan35

double

Last edited by Trojan35: 06-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:18 AM
OffSydes
#tank2014

Quote:
What team? I haven't seen any.
I dont want to narc anyone out

But its pretty obvious that they dont try in 5D and are not jerks about it.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
I dont want to narc anyone out

But its pretty obvious that they dont try in 5D and are not jerks about it.
Actually I take it back. I know a team that has at least 1 A/B level player, and a hand full of ex Jr Sharks.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:56 PM
MetropolisPt31

So, sup?

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisPt31 View Post
So, sup?
one timer straight to your chest? I was aiming there...

Old
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Actually, there is a separate rule for E. While Tyler's almost never enforced the 3 division rule, 2 seasons ago Tyler sent out an email to the Captains that he would be enforcing some rules in E. He specified that 4D and 5D players could play as low as EEE, but not 4E. Anyone 3D or above could not play anywhere in E. He then moved most of the E level teams with C and B players up to 5D and 4D. This was a good thing, as having some B level players playing in EE and EEE was ridiculous.

This current season, he moved the 4E division down to 5E, so maybe 4E is eligible for 4D/5D players now where it wasn't before.

Also since then, he's pretty much relaxed the rule. There's quite a few DD and DDD players playing in the E's, even though technically they're not eligible.
Actually the rule was anyone in D or higher can't play in E. 3 rule doesn't apply. That said, there were exceptions made.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Random question: Has anybody played in the pickup games on Monday/Friday mornings at Vallco center hockey (Called Cupertino Ice Center now)? I'm curious about the quality/level of competition. I'm hoping to drop in sometime in the future since it's cheap and the time works well for me.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

You mean the afternoon pick ups? Theres a Friday morning one but no Monday morning. Pick ups there I think are much more laid back then San Jose pick ups

Last edited by Mr Fahrenheit: 07-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Random question: Has anybody played in the pickup games on Monday/Friday mornings at Vallco center hockey (Called Cupertino Ice Center now)? I'm curious about the quality/level of competition. I'm hoping to drop in sometime in the future since it's cheap and the time works well for me.
The Friday morning pickup ranges from beginners to intermediate with a few advanced players every now and then. Its a good group of regulars with randoms sprinkled in. Everyone, in my experiences (went for a few years straight) was cool. Occasionally you'll get your poop head, but they don't tolerate it.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:19 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Anyone know of a goalie looking for a game? We need a goalie to sub-in for a game in San Mateo at 7:45. Please reply back ASAP (PM me).

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:49 AM
SouthpawTRK

So I'm wondering if anyone that has played at Sharks Ice have had these two scenarios come up?

#1. Do you feel like you should be playing at at least one level lower than you currently are at?

#2. Have you ever left a team because there is the one guy on the team that you don't get along with?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Old
08-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

No but I just wanted post how awful the reffing is

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
MetropolisPt31

Quote:
So I'm wondering if anyone that has played at Sharks Ice have had these two scenarios come up?

#1. Do you feel like you should be playing at at least one level lower than you currently are at?

#2. Have you ever left a team because there is the one guy on the team that you don't get along with?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!
1. On the contrary.
2. I almost left one of my current teams before we even put the team together. The captain sent out the roster and I noticed he had added a royal *********. I told the captain it was me, their goalie, or the *********. Eventually, the ********* (who is apparently a really nice guy off the ice) agreed to settle down. In his first shift during our first preseason game, he immediately hunts down the puck carrier and tomahawks his stick and ankles. That was the end of that guy.
3. The reffing can really be awful. Nakaso is the worst.

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:46 PM
SouthpawTRK

Thanks MetropolisPt31 for your answers to my questions that I posted the other day! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer them; you've always been a stand up guy on the forums.

Part of me feels that I should be playing one level lower for a couple of reasons. One, my time playing is not very much and I feel like that I have a ton or room to improve. Part of me also feels like I should be playing in a different division which stems from the amount of ringers.

I really don't want to leave a team of good hearted players due to not getting along with just one player. I'm hoping that the person has changed their ways and isn't such an @$$hole (this is what another player from another team described my future team mate).

Once again, thanks for the feedback!

Old
08-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Thanks MetropolisPt31 for your answers to my questions that I posted the other day! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer them; you've always been a stand up guy on the forums.

Part of me feels that I should be playing one level lower for a couple of reasons. One, my time playing is not very much and I feel like that I have a ton or room to improve. Part of me also feels like I should be playing in a different division which stems from the amount of ringers.

I really don't want to leave a team of good hearted players due to not getting along with just one player. I'm hoping that the person has changed their ways and isn't such an @$$hole (this is what another player from another team described my future team mate).

Once again, thanks for the feedback!
What division are you in?

There's always advantages to playing against and with players that are better than you. However, it also pays to play in games where you can excel or at least be mid-level, especially for new players. I think it helps build confidence. Its why players start in the minors, even if they're "NHL ready". Now when I say excel, I mean be in the top percentage of players in your CLASS. I think if you can pace about a point per game, thats the sweet spot for confidence building.

In regards to leaving a team because of one player - if I were you I'd talk to the captain and other "friendly" teammates and take a player vote. Captains should be responsible enough to know a cancer on the team and should take action, for the sake of the team. I've "removed" players from my teams before, and although its not the funnest thing in the world, sometimes they just have to be done. Thankfully, the two teams I pay and play for have a great locker room. That's not always easy to come by.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
What division are you in?

There's always advantages to playing against and with players that are better than you. However, it also pays to play in games where you can excel or at least be mid-level, especially for new players. I think it helps build confidence. Its why players start in the minors, even if they're "NHL ready". Now when I say excel, I mean be in the top percentage of players in your CLASS. I think if you can pace about a point per game, thats the sweet spot for confidence building.

In regards to leaving a team because of one player - if I were you I'd talk to the captain and other "friendly" teammates and take a player vote. Captains should be responsible enough to know a cancer on the team and should take action, for the sake of the team. I've "removed" players from my teams before, and although its not the funnest thing in the world, sometimes they just have to be done. Thankfully, the two teams I pay and play for have a great locker room. That's not always easy to come by.
I am on a team that is currently in EEEE; they were in EEE prior to the restructure (this is my first season playing with them).

I have fun playing with my current team mates; everyone is pretty chill and the vibes are good both on the ice and in the locker room. Most of the team gets along with the player that I do not get along with; so he would not be asked not to come back. I don't think that I'm a difficult guy to have on the team (I'm pretty low key and try to work as hard as I can and support my team mates); I just don't feel like paying league fees to have some guy that is knowingly better than most of the team barking at his own team mates (sometimes calling them out by number and not name).

I've played two seasons (one Spring season and one Winter season; playing in about half the games due to work) before I got inured and was out for more than a year. This technically is my fourth season (I subbed for a team one time last season; that was all the hockey that I played), but definitely need a lot of improvement and my confidence level is far from being at a comfortable place. As far as goals scored; I've had one in all the time that I've played (I should mention that I play D). My +/- is not so good, so that tells me that I need a lot of work (which does not add to my confidence level).

All in all, I have a lot of fun playing ice hockey. It's the greatest sport that I have ever played.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:12 PM
iczer34

OK...question...

Wife and I just had a baby, it's taking up a lot of my "free" time. I've been playing Thurs/Fri/Sat the past few years on a B division team. The only free time i have to play hockey nowadays is mostly Sun/Mon/Tues.

Would I be considered a jackass if I moved down to the D levels to accommodate my schedule? Hmmm...

iczer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
wishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
OK...question...

Wife and I just had a baby, it's taking up a lot of my "free" time. I've been playing Thurs/Fri/Sat the past few years on a B division team. The only free time i have to play hockey nowadays is mostly Sun/Mon/Tues.

Would I be considered a jackass if I moved down to the D levels to accommodate my schedule? Hmmm...
Depends how good of a B level player you are. There are several people in the D levels that play at B as well. Some that are very, very good that don't belong in D, others that are good players and can belong at both levels without being a "ringer" at D.

Single-D used to be the solution to this as some very good players (A level) played there so they can play on Sat/Sun/Mon. But they got rid of this division for Summer. Not sure if they plan on adding back for Winter season or not.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:10 AM
iczer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
Depends how good of a B level player you are. There are several people in the D levels that play at B as well. Some that are very, very good that don't belong in D, others that are good players and can belong at both levels without being a "ringer" at D.

Single-D used to be the solution to this as some very good players (A level) played there so they can play on Sat/Sun/Mon. But they got rid of this division for Summer. Not sure if they plan on adding back for Winter season or not.
Thank you for the input! I'm totally not a ringer down in the D levels, which I've subbed a few times. I actually feel like it's a lot tougher...perhaps that's the level I truly belong in

I'll throw myself on the FA list for the coming winter season.

iczer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
Thank you for the input! I'm totally not a ringer down in the D levels, which I've subbed a few times. I actually feel like it's a lot tougher...perhaps that's the level I truly belong in

I'll throw myself on the FA list for the coming winter season.
Wishman had it right. DD is the new D, and its pretty competitive. I'd start there if I were you, although there are plenty of B level guys playing in DDD and even in DDDD.

But yeah, it really depends on the type of player you are. If you're really good, and it shows, you'd better prepare to sandbag often else be prepared to be called out.