HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

''Habs are clear cut winners'' (bragging rights?!!)

Old
06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Ashley

vCash: 500
If we go by Mackenzie's rankings, Habs easily won the draft.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

So every Canadian team got the best player in the draft. Awesome show great job.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik View Post
I'm happy, but a part of me says: "man, 20 scouts spend one year watching hockey all around the world, and all they do is selecting players in the same order as Bob Mckenzie!"

Very happy with Gally's pick though.
Bob's lists are average rankings according to the scouts/people he talks to - he pretty much admits to doing no thinking about/evaluating of the players himself. It's not a surprise that the final order fits closely, because presumably all teams more or less stick to their plan on draft weekend, and Bob already got some of their numbers and crunched them.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Habitants

Willy Palov ‏@CH_WillyPalov

Montreal's first four picks were ranked in Red Line Report's top 35: 5. Galchenyuk, 24. Collberg, 33. Bozon, 35. Thrower. Impressive.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Timmins reads Hockey Prospectus? RT @CarlPeelash: Habs' draft picks on @coreypronman's list: 3, 11, 57, 26, 85, 34.

Dustin Leed ‏@D_LEED

Scout next to me said Montreal is owning draft according to his rankings. All players in his top 50.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Frankenheimer

Could someone provide a reasonable theory for why the Canadiens ended up with highly ranked players in the second round if every other team was also aware of these rankings? Something doesn't add up. Normally you don't get something for nothing.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:20 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Could someone provide a reasonable theory for why the Canadiens ended up with highly ranked players in the second round if every other team was also aware of these rankings? Something doesn't add up. Normally you don't get something for nothing.
Hockey Gods love us again

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Youpi ki yay

This article has us winning as well as Dallas and Pittsburgh.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/...rs-and-losers/

Youpi ki yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:16 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
One can argue Los Angeles won the 2005 draft, because they Got Kopitar and Quick. It's a legitimate argument.
Pittsburgh has been more dominant as a result of having Crosby though. For all we know, LA could be one and done, Pittsburgh is a threat year in, year out.

Although you can argue that the '05 draft made LA, and was more important to their success than any other team's draft (IE Pittsburgh would still be extremely dangerous without Crosby, as was shown this year, while LA without Quick and Kopitar, not so much), which in itself is an argument for them "winning" '05

Anyways, it's good that management stepped up when we needed it, and picked up an awesome crop of youngsters. Not gonna say I'm 100% of any of these players, including Galy, but I guess the first step in getting talented players is drafting talented youngsters? Hope to see them stack our roster sooner than later.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:20 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Timmins loves risk. Look at Subban in the 2nd. All that talent passed by every other team. I'm starting to think his niche is taking risky players. It's why we have a bunch of late-round guys, and our first rounders don't pan out as often as they should.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:23 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

A look back at past drafts makes you realize that it takes a few years to know which team really won a draft. I was not even able to say who won the 2008 draft as I think it's too early. I think it's possible to do only from 2007 :

Montreal

12- Ryan McDonagh
22- Max Pacioretty
43- PK Subban
65- Olivier Fortier
73- Yannick Weber
133- Joe Stejskal
142- Andrew Conboy
163- Nichlas Torp
192- Scott Kishel

Boston

5- Phil Kessel
37- Yuri Alexandrov
50- Milan Lucic
71- Brad Marchand
128- Andrew Bodnarchuk
158- Levi Nelson

Pittsburgh

1- Sidney Crosby
61- Michael Gergen
62- Kris Letang
125- Tommi Leinonen
126- Tim Crowder
194- Jean-Philipp Paquet
195- Joe Vitale

Montreal
5- Carey Price
45- Guillaume Latendresse
121- Juraj Mikus
130- Mathieu Aubin
190- Matt D'Agostini
200- Sergei Kostitsyn
229- Philippe Paquet

Rangers

6- Al Montoya
19- Lauri Kospikoski
36- Darin Olver
48- Dane Byers
51- Bruce Graham
60- Brandon Dubinsky
73- Zdenek Bahensky
80- Billy Ryan
127- Ryan Callahan
135- Roman Psurny
169- Jordan Foote
247- Jonathan Paiement
266- Jakub Petruzalek

Chicago

14- Brent Seabrook
52- Corey Crawford
59- Michal Barinka
151- Lasse Kukkonen
156- Alexei Ivanov
181- Johan Andersson
211- Mike Brodeur
245- Dustin Bufyglien
275- Michael Grenzy
282- Chris Porter

Nashville
7- Ryan Suter
35- Konstantin Glazachev
37- Kevin Klein
49- Shea Weber
76- Richard Stehlik
89- Paul Brown
92- Alexander Sulzer
+ a bunch of no names

Anaheim
19- Ryan Getzlaf
28- Corey Perry
86- Shane Hynes
90- Juha Alen
119- Nathan Saunders
186- Drew Miller
218- Dick Southern
250- Shane O'Brien
280- Ville Mantymaa

Chicago

21- Anton Babchuk
54- Duncan Keith
93- Alexander Kozhevnikov
128- Matt Ellison
156- James Wisniewski
188- Kevin Kantee
219- Tyson Kellerman
251- Jason Kostadine
282- Adam Burish

Ottawa

2- Jason Spezza
23- Tim Gleason
81- Neil Komadoski
99- Ray Emery
127- Christoph Schubert
162- Stefan Schauer
193- Brooks Laich
218- Jan Platil
223- Brandon Bochenski
+ a few other guys

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:44 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Bob's lists are average rankings according to the scouts/people he talks to - he pretty much admits to doing no thinking about/evaluating of the players himself. It's not a surprise that the final order fits closely, because presumably all teams more or less stick to their plan on draft weekend, and Bob already got some of their numbers and crunched them.
That's what makes his rankings so accurate. Its not about what Bob thinks its what the scouts who end up ranking the players think.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Two reasons -

1. We focused more on forwards. There was a record set (or close to it) of the number of defenseman taken in the 1st round this year. So it left some pretty good forwards to the second round like Collberg and Bozon. With Thrower, there were too many D so we lucked out on him too.

2- There was no consensus in the draft. If teams had one player ahead of these guys on their lists, they slip.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Two reasons -

1. We focused more on forwards. There was a record set (or close to it) of the number of defenseman taken in the 1st round this year. So it left some pretty good forwards to the second round like Collberg and Bozon. With Thrower, there were too many D so we lucked out on him too.

2- There was no consensus in the draft. If teams had one player ahead of these guys on their lists, they slip.
I'd agree with this. The down side is that teams generally turn to drafting defenseman en-masse when they feel the draft has dried up in terms of offensive upside in players. This is why we should feel only cautiously optimistic, emphasis on caution.

Hopefully history shows this draft was a good turning point for the club , but it's still in a deep hole that can't be escaped from in one draft. ( at the word "dynasty")

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:29 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

im excited for this draft but take it easy fellas.

They took Gally and then they took the BPA left with all remaining picks..

any one of us could have done that

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Yous think this year was good, if we even end up in the top 10 draft of next year we are going to be superstacked with prospects.......Our 1st and 3 seconds....And I can see Calgarys second being in the 30 to 33 range next year.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:50 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Jedi Mind Tricks "These are not the prospects you are looking for. Move along."

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I'd agree with this. The down side is that teams generally turn to drafting defenseman en-masse when they feel the draft has dried up in terms of offensive upside in players. This is why we should feel only cautiously optimistic, emphasis on caution.

Hopefully history shows this draft was a good turning point for the club , but it's still in a deep hole that can't be escaped from in one draft. ( at the word "dynasty")
Playing Devil's Advocate on your first point, I'd say that the emphasis on drafting defenseman doesn't necessarily mean that the forward crop was weak. It is highly likely that with so many defenseman going, teams realized they had to pick them up because they we're going so fast.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Every team has their own rankings.

So, Columbus has Dansk ranked 21st and Collberg 22nd, they're going to take Dansk. If Edmonton has the player they took 1 spot ahead of Collberg, but ranked high, they'll take the other guy.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Maybe you should have added in the 2nd line in my post about seeing in 3 years. As of "right now" Yakupov is the best player in the draft, hence Edmonton getting the best player. Context is a funny thing when you use it to your advantage and not so funny when you take things out of it.
...and I'll say it again, because you still don't get it. Nail is the highest ranked player, doesn't mean he is 'the best' player at this time. Some of the kids are playing against men, some are playing on stacked junior teams. Pat Falloon was the 'highest ranked player' in his draft as well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Captain Saku

I'm very confident with these picks, even though ppl might say we made the sexy picks and they might not pan out like in previous years for other teams, but I'm confident that, barring career ending injuries, our 1st 3 picks will surely make it to the NHL.

Timmins don't usually make the sexy picks unless he's really confident in them, for that reason alone I'm happy with our draft.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No one is a winner of the draft a day after it happens...
Exactly !!

Why don't you all take your emotional subjective heads out of your arses.

All 30 teams won the draft until as much as all draftees have filtered through their various systems.

Unless all the prognosticators have actually gone to junior games out there leading up to the draft of 2012 and are paid by an NHL club then it's all bull s..t spewing out of the mouths of babes.

My handle makes it obvious who I am a fan of and maybe I have a degree of knowledge of the sport but I'll hold off in with my crystal ball predictions cause they mean craap. I rather defer to the humility of waiting several years.

HabFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
PricePkPatch

Still. At the moment, based on the average analysts' estimates, this draft did a lot of good to sooth our ****** season

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
RC51

just a few years ago the habs had a HUGE hole in dmen prospects.
In 2007 Timmins picked Macdo and Subban but his pick got traded against his judgement for Gomez. Today we all know just how bad this turned out for the Habs not only is Gomez a bust and Macdo is a star Markov got hurt again WOW just WOW. Last year while all the other teams were picking up good forwards at the draft Timmins was forced to fix the damage from the NHL's worst trade ever. He picked Tinordi and Beaulieu both are doing fine and projected to be 1 line dman and 2nd line dman. Now With PG GONE, This now left Timmins a free hand this year to pull off a real magic trick to fix the top six forward prospects.
Overall, Just think a bit. Habs will have Price Subban Beaulieu Tinordi Thrower, Ellis, Georges, Emilin, and the best of the rest a defence. Then look at the forwards, Galenchuck, Patches, Collberg, Eller, Cole, Galler, Kristo, Bozon, Vail, Pleks, Leblanc.

Then you must make some trades with the players Habs will offer up.
Bourque, Gomez, Gionta, Desharnais, Palushaj, Markov Kaberle, Weber, Diaz. For sure some of these players will bring something back.

then Timmins gets to pick NEW prospects in a good year next June again.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Ya - I'm very happy with how the draft turned out, but this isn't Timmins pulling some magic. Any team who would want to 'win' the draft could easily do so by always picking the top ranked player. With that said, with Timmins looking as excited as he did, it makes me think he had a lot of those players rated much more highly than he picked them.

With that said, I think we did address our need and have some exciting prospects. I haven't been this excited about a draft in a LONG time (mostly because of Gally though)

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

NHL Draft Weekend: Winners and Losers

Link to article here:

Quote:
1) Montreal Canadiens: Marc Bergevin’s first draft as GM of the Montreal Canadiens looks like an outstanding success. Bergevin came from the Blackhawks organization who built their team around Jonathan Toews, and the Habs filled their long standing hole at Centre with the closest thing there is to a Toews clone in Alex Galchenyuk.

Bergevin and head scout, Trevor Timmins would then grab a potential steal of the draft at 33rd overall in Sebastian Collberg, a player we had ranked in our top 10. In time Collberg could develop into a Patrick Kane-like sidekick for Galchenyuk. At 51st overall and 64th overall the Habs would land two more prospects from our top 35 in Dalton Thrower and Tim Bozon. The Habs would then get our 51st ranked prospect Brady Vail at 94th overall and our 65th ranked prospect Charles Hudon at 122nd overall.

With two prospects in our top 10, and six in our top 65, this is an incredible haul. On top of all that, the Habs turned not one but two organizational weaknesses into strengths, really improving their prospect depth at both Centre and Left Wing.
Congrats to the Habs on a knock-out performance at the draft. Hope to renew hostilities in a non-futile, playoff bound manner in coming years!

Cheers guys.

indigobuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote