HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Erik Nystrom - 154th overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You missed the point but it is irrelevant anyway.

The point isnt Colton Hargrove or Eric Nystrom. The point is that we have way too many small prospects who we are HOPING might be able to make it to the NHL and are hoping that they hit the weight room and might become strong enough to play against physical NHL players.

Boston saw something that they liked in Hargrove. As much as I hate to say this, Boston, under the guidance of Chiarelli have gone for size and physicality and have been more successful than the Habs.

But anyway, its irrelevant since its done.
I did mention that my only small concern about this draft is that we didn't add some gritty rugged forwards. We have guys with character which is totally awesome. I mean, clearly, there are no Cory Urquhart or Ben Maxwell in this list. But gritty and rugged forwards, you will have some use for that. But you have to be really careful in your evaluation of such guys. Like for example, picking Moroz as soon as the Oilers makes absolutely no sense to me. He might even play on a 4th line someday, but on draft day....you could find a Moroz in the UFA market that will cost you 750 k$. So the Bruins are donig better in that department, well of course. It was determined by them for a long long time that this was the way to go. We lost our time with the past administratino with something else. We now have to start over. We'll let Bergevin and Co work and I believe they will address it somehow. So clearly, that's what missing with this draft, but CLEARLY as much as I want to see how I would have NOT picked instead of a rugged forward and unless we talk about Hudon or Nystrom, there's nobody else.

And in the rugged forward business, maybe Brandon Troock would have done it. But still WAYS to go before he's being targetted even AHL material. And we didn't have a 7th rounder to address it as well...

But I didn't feel I missed the point. You said the Bruins went with Hargrove while we went with Nystrom. So the Bruins are doing a better job with those types of players. I'm just saying that it's not because we didn't do it THIS YEAR, that we are not doing a good job. Even that past administration started to realize it with players like Conboy or Schultz. But you know what? You will say that they are doing a good job, solely if they reach the NHL. 'Cause if they stay as career AHL'ers, nobody will care about those picks whatsoever. Same thing with Hargrove. If he stays in the AHL...nobody will say that Chiarelli addressed a need....

Old
06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
ChoseLa

I'm not sure acquiring goons in the draft is the way to go. How many of them have turned out to be good hockey players? I think there is more late rounds gems skilled player in the league right now than there is usefule fighters.

Unless the management feels they have a Lucic in that player they should go for boom or bust skilled prospects, and they will do. It's part of Timmins signature to go for skilled prospects in every rounds.

I seriously prefer to have guys like Hudon and Nystrom in this draft than any goons who could play on our fourth line. And i like hockey fights and i want the Habs to get more aggressive on the ice.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I'm not sure acquiring goons in the draft is the way to go. How many of them have turned out to be good hockey players? I think there is more late rounds gems skilled player in the league right now than there is usefule fighters.

Unless the management feels they have a Lucic in that player they should go for boom or bust skilled prospects, and they will do. It's part of Timmins signature to go for skilled prospects in every rounds.

I seriously prefer to have guys like Hudon and Nystrom in this draft than any goons who could play on our fourth line. And i like hockey fights and i want the Habs to get more aggressive on the ice.
That's the thing. I know there is an insecurity about drafting "smurfs" but there's a reason you get guys like St Louis and Desharnais and so on falling through the cracks more than big guys, because tall players with talent are going to be noticed right away while smaller players need to impress. Timmins has done a great job finding guys that slipped because of that, and even he has made the mistake of going with size over talent - Fischer.

And really, we picked a lot of finesse guys in this draft who need to add muscle but all the ones under 6' tall except Hudon are 5'11"; Collberg and Thrower would both be first round picks if they were an inch taller, I don't see how you can resist that.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This hype doesn't seem justified, based on draft position. If Montreal was as high on him as is indicated in this thread, they wouldn't have waited around to the 6th round. After all, they drafted Hudon ahead of him.

That said, I haven't seen him play. I've got some SEL games from this past season recorded, so I'll have a look before commenting much more. For now, I've got reserved optimism though, and appreciate the comments from our Swedish posters.
Well it's not like we had 10 picks from the 3rd to the 6th. Nystrom could have been top 5 on our board from the 3rd round on and still get picked in the 6th round just because we wanted to grab the guys ahead of him.

I mean, if we liked Vail and Hudon better and we knew they had more exposure, obviously we're going to grab them first but Nystrom could have been right behind them. Basically, you can't pick them all at once.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post

Again, Hargrove is not a goon. He played on the 1st line for the Fargo Force and will play his college hockey at Western Michigan.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Great news! Nystrom invited to a tournament in preparation for the WJC. With Collberg obviously.

http://hockeysverige.se/article/1325...-team-20-trupp

20 forwards out there...competition will be hard.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-25-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great news! Nystrom invited to a tournament in preparation for the WJC. With Collberg obviously.

Will be a great way to learn more about him at least.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:

As I said, Rönnberg seems to be quite high on Nyström. A first, crucial step towards making the final WJC-team!

Old
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post
As I said, Rönnberg seems to be quite high on Nyström. A first, crucial step towards making the final WJC-team!
Can he play on an energy or defensive line?

Old
06-25-2012, 09:43 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:

would be great if he can make it, since he'll be too old for the 2014 WJC's.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Can he play on an energy or defensive line?
Because of his size he's not the most obvious pick, but I could totally see him in a similiar role as Erik Thorell had last year. First he'd need to improve his positional play somewhat though.

Last edited by Fregus: 06-25-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
MXD

I don't know the player at all... BUt I would have liked the team to draft a goalie... whoever. Whitney was still available, right?

Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Sigh... can we just talk about Nystrom? I mean the thread IS about him.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

I think it would be grest for him to be drafted in thr CHL import draft.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I think it would be grest for him to be drafted in thr CHL import draft.
would seem unlikely as he has a shot at playing in the SEL, he's a late birth date so he'll be 19 in october.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
would seem unlikely as he has a shot at playing in the SEL, he's a late birth date so he'll be 19 in october.
I don't follow that, but what were most of the players' status that decided to join the ranks of a CHL team? No top league in their respective country were interested in them? If your interest is really to play in the NHL, what do you choose? The "shot" of playing in the SEL which, again, should mean a 4th line use, or the possibility of playing a top 2 line role in a CHL team? In Collberg's point of view, it's clear, he has a spot. And chances are he'll have a very important spot. But not in Nystrom unless....it might be.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I don't follow that, but what were most of the players' status that decided to join the ranks of a CHL team? No top league in their respective country were interested in them? If your interest is really to play in the NHL, what do you choose? The "shot" of playing in the SEL which, again, should mean a 4th line use, or the possibility of playing a top 2 line role in a CHL team? In Collberg's point of view, it's clear, he has a spot. And chances are he'll have a very important spot. But not in Nystrom unless....it might be.
One thing is money, he's going to make much more in the SEL then he would in the CHL. Since he's a late birth date that would mean he'd only be coming over for 1 season as well so teams may want to invest in someone that will be around longer. Granted Mikus came over for one year with the Sags but it's more rare to see 19 year olds going the CHL route.

Personally I'd rather see him play in the SEL then the CHL for 1 year.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Well, supposedly Nystrom is liked by Sweden's WJC coach and he seems to be very popular among Modo fans so he might have a bigger role than we think.

I'd be happy to see the club make at least an effort to convince him to go to the CHL since it's the best way to find out what he needs to do to become an NHL quality player, but Modo has a nice history of producing NHLers. I trust the player development system in Sweden ahead of anywhere else in Europe right now. It's not like Pribyl where staying in the Czech league could be the difference between him making the NHL or not.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
One thing is money, he's going to make much more in the SEL then he would in the CHL. Since he's a late birth date that would mean he'd only be coming over for 1 season as well so teams may want to invest in someone that will be around longer. Granted Mikus came over for one year with the Sags but it's more rare to see 19 year olds going the CHL route.

Even if he's drafted by a team that has a shot at the memorial cup? That'd be a great experience for him.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

So what you are saying is that most players that comes over in the CHL through the Import draft, do not have a shot at their respective top leagues? I mean, let just take every euro that was just drafted, was Maatta not on any SM-liiga teams' roster? Or even Yakupov? I guess your point is that every euro who has a sniff of their respective top league won't make the move to the CHL, 'cause neither Maatta nor Yakupov had that luxury. I'd be curious though to know if some did it anyway. A prospects that was 4th line top league material, yet came over to play first 2 lines in the CHL. But like you said, if he happens to be taking a bigger role with his team, I'd be fine with that.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
So what you are saying is that most players that comes over in the CHL through the Import draft, do not have a shot at their respective top leagues? I mean, let just take every euro that was just drafted, was Maatta not on any SM-liiga teams' roster? Or even Yakupov? I guess your point is that every euro who has a sniff of their respective top league won't make the move to the CHL, 'cause neither Maatta nor Yakupov had that luxury. I'd be curious though to know if some did it anyway. A prospects that was 4th line top league material, yet came over to play first 2 lines in the CHL. But like you said, if he happens to be taking a bigger role with his team, I'd be fine with that.
No clue how you got that from my post. In no way did I say anything about most players coming to the CHL via the Import Draft do not have a shot at their respective top leagues. How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

Nystrom played almost half a season with Modo this past season, so one would think he'll be in their plans. Plus as I said, with him being 19, not a lot of Euros come over at 19.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
No clue how you got that from my post. In no way did I say anything about most players coming to the CHL via the Import Draft do not have a shot at their respective top leagues. How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

Nystrom played almost half a season with Modo this past season, so one would think he'll be in their plans. Plus as I said, with him being 19, not a lot of Euros come over at 19.
I got that based on your money comment. If most players use the money argument, anybody who has a clear shot at their top league, will stay in their country. Just that. I did clarify towards the end of my post that what you were INDEED saying is that since he had already had a sniff, it has to mean more than just players who never played there and have a good chance at doing it. And if by having a sniff at it and being liked by his coaches and co means that it's not about having a good chance at making it, it's almost a guaranteed spot, well I say, of course he'll stay. Which again, players like Maatta, Yakupov or whoever didn't have the chance in having. Also towards the end of my post.

In the end, I agree with what you're saying.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I got that based on your money comment. If most players use the money argument, anybody who has a clear shot at their top league, will stay in their country. Just that. I did clarify towards the end of my post that what you were INDEED saying is that since he had already had a sniff, it has to mean more than just players who never played there and have a good chance at doing it. And if by having a sniff at it and being liked by his coaches and co means that it's not about having a good chance at making it, it's almost a guaranteed spot, well I say, of course he'll stay. Which again, players like Maatta, Yakupov or whoever didn't have the chance in having. Also towards the end of my post.

In the end, I agree with what you're saying.
Well in terms of money, most of the kids that come over via the import draft are more in the 16/17/18 year olds, so for a lot of them, they wouldn't have been playing in the elite leagues so the money thing wouldn't really come up. Perhaps if they thought if they stayed they could get a spot but I was talking more about since he's 19 and that in it's is more rare so always better to look at it as a case by case basis.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Well in terms of money, most of the kids that come over via the import draft are more in the 16/17/18 year olds, so for a lot of them, they wouldn't have been playing in the elite leagues so the money thing wouldn't really come up. Perhaps if they thought if they stayed they could get a spot but I was talking more about since he's 19 and that in it's is more rare so always better to look at it as a case by case basis.
Fine with me. Would still be interesting to see if a team will take a chance. I guess not though.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Fine with me. Would still be interesting to see if a team will take a chance. I guess not though.
I guess a team could still take him, but I would have my doubts about him reporting.

I have heard in the past with guys like Trunev and Pribyl that CHL teams were told in advance that if they picked these guys that it was going to cost a decent amount of money to get them to come over. Of course nothing "official" about the money thing but when it hear it a couple times it makes sense as they likely made much more money in their respective leagues then had they gone the CHL route.

Closed Thread