HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Eskin says Parenteau is back-up plan

Old
06-25-2012, 05:26 AM
flybynite77

vCash: 500
Considering the season and playoffs we just came off you would think adding players who are defensive liabilities would be the last thing Homer would do.

sigh

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:42 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
From = http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...ayer.cgi?2515:

ASSETS: Has excellent offensive instincts, which he exploits brilliantly on the power play thanks to deft puck control and passing ability. Can line up both at wing and center if need be. Is a proven scorer in the minor-pro ranks.

FLAWS: Is somewhat undersized and needs to keep adding more muscle, because he can be knocked off the puck. Not an especially great straightline skater, he must also continue to work on his play without the puck.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Skilled forward.

Maybe for the 3rd line? I just don't know where he'd fit....

EDIT:

Why not try for Jiri Hudler? He is small, but he knows how to score.
From what was around in the Czech republic, he's a big party boy and a little spoiled kid... At least that's what he used to be. I thought the time in the KHL changed him into a more mature guy, but I'm not really sure about that according to what I've seen this season. From hockey point of view however he would be just fine with all of our centermen I guess.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I just want them to sign Parise. Giroux and Parise would be amazing to watch together.
That would be one sick pairing and really fun to watch.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:16 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
No. No Parenteau.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:35 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That would be one sick pairing and really fun to watch.
I disagree. I don't think parises game would mesh well with Gs. Both of their offensive success relies on them having the puck as much as possible. They're both undersized, and would be easily shut down by a team like the rangers or the bruins IMO. I think a guy like bobby Ryan or (gasp) Rick Nash, would be much better alongside Giroux than Parise.

I do think that parise would work well on a line of, say

Hartnell-Couturier-Parise
Or
Hartnell-Schenn-Parise

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I honestly don't know much about him, but from what I have heard (Zherdev-esque but with less skill and less moodiness) I don't like him. Maybe playing for a contender would change that? There are a lot of other guys I'd rather have than him, that's for sure. That can change though if he plays well with Giroux. Maybe a solid top-liner and PP guy. Goals, goals, goals seems to be the mantra of this team at the moment.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

How are you going to sign Parise when he wants a long term contract and you are going to have to resign Schenn, Couts, and Giroux in a couple years?

Parise is just a pipe dream. Go with somebody for the short term like Semin or P.A.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Parise and Crosby sitting in Malkin's ugly tree..that's what I see.

Forget him..and definitely forget PAP smear....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

please no PA. he's another briere defensively. he's a solid passer but we really need a goal scorer imo to go with roo. Semin would be a much better short term option if we don't care about defensive prowess.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
please no PA. he's another briere defensively. he's a solid passer but we really need a goal scorer imo to go with roo. Semin would be a much better short term option if we don't care about defensive prowess.
Semin isn't a bad defensive player at all. His problem is he is just soft and moody.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
How are you going to sign Parise when he wants a long term contract and you are going to have to resign Schenn, Couts, and Giroux in a couple years?

Parise is just a pipe dream. Go with somebody for the short term like Semin or P.A.
We have 11 million in cap space, plus an additional 5 million from Pronger, plus Timonen coming of the books after this season, and two years down the road Meszaros coming off the books, Cap space is NOT an issue with this team right now.

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
We have 11 million in cap space, plus an additional 5 million from Pronger, plus Timonen coming of the books after this season, and two years down the road Meszaros coming off the books, Cap space is NOT an issue with this team right now.
All that cap space coming off the books should be invested in defense. Going after guys like Weber if they become available next year. Parise is not needed in Philly. Great player but this team needs to start looking at defense because here in a couple years it will get weak with Kimmo retiring and like you said Mez leaving.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Semin isn't a bad defensive player at all. His problem is he is just soft and moody.
He will slap a ***** though.

Anyway, not a fan of Parenteau. I think Parise will cost way too much for way too long. If Semin would sign for a reasonable deal I'd go with him, but I doubt he will.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
Yeah I have a feeling his deal will be like what Leino got and I'd really rather it not be the Flyers who sign him.
Well we need a LW so I hope Zack can be had. No way anyone pays PA what Leino got last year.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
He's an inconsistent defensive player and an inconsistent offensive player. When he wants to be good, he's a tremendous two-way player, when he's in apathetic mode, he's Briere defensively and Matt Read offensively (not awful).

With a center like Giroux and his wrist shot (top 3 in the NHL), Semin would score with ease, but he'll still likely be frustrating defensively. It's simply a matter whether you can live with his lapses if he's scoring 35+ a year.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
lancer247

No way on PA. He is basically Erik Christenson. Slick looking player but not heart or willingness to play d. If you are going for PA might as well sign Semin atleast he can finish.

If Ryan and Parise are out I would trade Mez to CHI for Stalberg +.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
I wouldn't mind Semin. A line of him-G and Hartnell would be good.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
I'd rather go after Semin if we're getting a one way player...
Semin is not solely a one-way player. Please, watch him play instead of lazily stereotyping his game or just blindly following what is regurgitated by people who have no idea what they're talking about. The guy has plenty of warts, but defensive play is very far down on the list. Hell, he wants to play on the PK! I'm the furthest thing from a Semin defender, too, but at least I've seen him enough to know what he does and does not deserve criticism for.

One other thing -- Semin would be all kinds of sexy as one of G's wingers. That's at least 40 goals for him, guaranteed.

PS - No to Parenteau.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Parenteau does not have the skillset that is needed to complement Giroux. Parenteau is a passer, first and foremost. Giroux needs a sniper next to him. If the line was Hartnell-Giroux-Parenteau, Claude and PA would just end up feeding Hartnell with endless passes that he couldn't convert into goals. If we still had Jeff Carter, then Parenteau would probably be the perfect linemate for him. Parenteau is best used with a goal-scoring center, and we don't have any of those. I'd pass.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Semin is not solely a one-way player. Please, watch him play instead of lazily stereotyping his game or just blindly following what is regurgitated by people who have no idea what they're talking about. The guy has plenty of warts, but defensive play is very far down on the list. Hell, he wants to play on the PK! I'm the furthest thing from a Semin defender, too, but at least I've seen him enough to know what he does and does not deserve criticism for.

One other thing -- Semin would be all kinds of sexy as one of G's wingers. That's at least 40 goals for him, guaranteed.

PS - No to Parenteau.
I agree with you. I have no gripes about Semin as a player and I believe he does work a lot harder than people give him credit for. I just don't like his game. It's my subjective opinion, but I've always been a guy with a bigger soft spot for big power forwards who can take over a game physically when they aren't injecting their name into the score sheet. That's why I would much rather trade for bobby Ryan than sign parise for 7+ million or semin for around 6. If we can get a deal done revolving around voracek+ I do it. Voracek is a good 2 way player but I don't believe we're ever going to see much more from him offensively than what weve already seen here and in colombus. He has the potential to contribute more, but I just get the feeling that he'll just be a consistent 50-60 point in a good year 2 way winger with a sub par shot.

Semin would be a good backup plan, but I really like the idea of bobby Ryan on Girouxs wing more than Semin or even Parise. One of the contributing factors to that conclusion is the fact that he WANTS to be here. Bobby Ryan is a flyer at heart, and just being traded here will up his intensity, consistency and desire to perform IMO.

Semin could be a 40 goal winger with giroux again, but I think teams would have an easier time shutting down giroux-Parise or giroux-Semin than giroux-ryan, or even giroux-Nash.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
toughfighter83*

that's the problem with this team too many passers, they need more snipers, LA has more snipers than the flyers.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Do not want PA. Do not think he's a line 1 winger.

Id rather Parise, Ryan, Semin in that order before PA is even considered. Agreed with the comments from Billy, PA isn't a fit here.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I wouldn't actually mind him at a low cap hit. I don't know what the market for him is, so its tough for me to really say what that number would be, but more than $3 million sounds too high for me. Reasonable for me to say that or is that too low for this guy?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Semin actually played pretty well in the playoffs on the defensive side. not sure how much interest the Flyers have in him but I would take him way above PA Parenteau.
Still think Parise is a pipe dream.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

I'd definitely take Parenteau. Yeah, he will probably end up getting a bigger contract than he deserves, but the Flyers could use a pure goalscorer. Especially on the second PP unit, where we have too many playmakers slotted to play. He may not be a defensive stalwart but I think he'd fit well on the Flyers and in Lavi's system. I'd rather have PA than overpay for Ryan or Nash. (Though obviously, Parise would be my first choice)

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote