HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devine: Sabres had been targetting Girgensons for a while

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 08:39 AM
  #1
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Devine: Sabres had been targetting Girgensons for a while

http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3533749.mp3

Kevin Devine wraps up the draft and he says that they had targetted Girgensons for a while when asked why they went with ZG at 14 over Teravainen.

There are some other good nuggets, including whether "The Russian Factor" makes it a risky pick.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:52 AM
  #2
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
Devine said Girgensons' performance at the WJC sold them on him in his day-one interview.

I would have been awfully upset if they took Teravainen over Girgensons. He's a good prospect but big, physical centers with scoring upside were an organizational need both short-term and long-term.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:05 AM
  #3
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Devine said Girgensons' performance at the WJC sold them on him in his day-one interview.

I would have been awfully upset if they took Teravainen over Girgensons. He's a good prospect but big, physical centers with scoring upside were an organizational need both short-term and long-term.
But according to everyone here, scouts don't even look at WJC performances...

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:07 AM
  #4
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
But according to everyone here, scouts don't even look at WJC performances...
Everyone?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  #5
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
He also said they may decide this week where he's going to play next year: Vermont, Rochester, or Kelowna.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
  #6
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He also said they may decide this week where he's going to play next year: Vermont, Rochester, or Kelowna.
Interesting.

I was under the impression it was a foregone conclusion he would go to Vermont. Did it sound like all 3 options will be discussed with him?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
  #7
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Interesting.

I was under the impression it was a foregone conclusion he would go to Vermont. Did it sound like all 3 options will be discussed with him?
My guess is that the first step is deciding whether he'll sign right now or not. That will make the decision on whether he's headed to UVm or not.

If he does sign, the Kelowna vs Rochester decision can be made at a much later date.

Heck, he could start the year in Rochester and he could get sent to Kelowna if he's in over his head a bit in the AHL.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
  #8
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He also said they may decide this week where he's going to play next year: Vermont, Rochester, or Kelowna.
So him beeing on Sabres roster next year is out of the question?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
  #9
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,443
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Yeah, that's what I figured. I can't imagine the feeling they must have had after getting their target AND the possibly #1 or #2 best player in the draft.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
  #10
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Everyone?
I got reamed out by a group of some the usual posters a while back for discussing WJCs in terms of having an effect on a certain players draft stock. I suppose everyone is overly broad, but I got the sense that that opinion was the consensus.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
  #11
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So him beeing on Sabres roster next year is out of the question?
It's a possibility. But, I'd hope that they would slow cook him a bit.

I'd prefer that he plays in Kelowna or UVm next year.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:20 AM
  #12
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It's a possibility. But, I'd hope that they would slow cook him a bit.

I'd prefer that he plays in Kelowna or UVm next year.
I`d like if he went to vermont,kelowna really disrespected him.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
  #13
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I got reamed out by a group of some the usual posters a while back for discussing WJCs in terms of having an effect on a certain players draft stock. I suppose everyone is overly broad, but I got the sense that that opinion was the consensus.
Fair enough.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
  #14
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
My guess is that the first step is deciding whether he'll sign right now or not. That will make the decision on whether he's headed to UVm or not.

If he does sign, the Kelowna vs Rochester decision can be made at a much later date.

Heck, he could start the year in Rochester and he could get sent to Kelowna if he's in over his head a bit in the AHL.
How does it work with the AHL and juniors? Is it the same as the NHL rule where you only get a 9 game look? Or is he in a entirely different category being a non-north American that didn't play in the CHL. I know that's why the AHL is even an option right now.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
  #15
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
A teravainen-grigorenko-armia line wouldve been deadly

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:51 AM
  #16
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How does it work with the AHL and juniors? Is it the same as the NHL rule where you only get a 9 game look? Or is he in a entirely different category being a non-north American that didn't play in the CHL. I know that's why the AHL is even an option right now.
I believe that he can start the season in the AHL and be sent to the CHL at any time. But, once he goes to the CHL, the usual NHL or CHL rules apply.

I think that happened with another team's prospect a few years ago with someone drafted out of the NCAA, IIRC.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
  #17
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I believe that he can start the season in the AHL and be sent to the CHL at any time. But, once he goes to the CHL, the usual NHL or CHL rules apply.

I think that happened with another team's prospect a few years ago with someone drafted out of the NCAA, IIRC.
Is it like if he plays 10+ games in the A it burns a year of his elc?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
  #18
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Is it like if he plays 10+ games in the A it burns a year of his elc?
I would believe so.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
  #19
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I believe that he can start the season in the AHL and be sent to the CHL at any time. But, once he goes to the CHL, the usual NHL or CHL rules apply.

I think that happened with another team's prospect a few years ago with someone drafted out of the NCAA, IIRC.
I thought it was where you were drafted out of? I'm not entirely sure. If the CHL rules go into effect, if he went to Kelowna, he wouldn't be able to play for Rochester for 2 years. So I think it's Vermont or Rochester. I'd like to see him in Rochester myself. There's a few open center spots.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
  #20
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I thought it was where you were drafted out of? I'm not entirely sure. If the CHL rules go into effect, if he went to Kelowna, he wouldn't be able to play for Rochester for 2 years. So I think it's Vermont or Rochester. I'd like to see him in Rochester myself. There's a few open center spots.
If he starts in Rochester he can still get sent to Kelowna.

If he starts in Kelowna, he can't play for the Amerks for two seasons.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
  #21
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If he starts in Rochester he can still get sent to Kelowna.

If he starts in Kelowna, he can't play for the Amerks for two seasons.
Thats not true, he can play in the AHL this year or next year regardless where he plays this upcoming year.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
  #22
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If he starts in Rochester he can still get sent to Kelowna.

If he starts in Kelowna, he can't play for the Amerks for two seasons.
Yeah, I don't think they want him to go with the latter. He'll be in the AHL this season or next.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:17 AM
  #23
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Rob Sanderson ‏@DropThePuckWHTK

#Amerks D. Stevens joked re: Grigorenko/Girgensons: "Either they won't make this team or they're going to have to go get their name changed"
I heard Don was like "what's his name???" on Friday night.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
  #24
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If he starts in Rochester he can still get sent to Kelowna.

If he starts in Kelowna, he can't play for the Amerks for two seasons.
The under 20 thing doesn't apply to Girgensons since he wasn't drafted from a CHL team.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
  #25
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Yeah, I don't think they want him to go with the latter. He'll be in the AHL this season or next.
They've made it very clear that they're going to do what's best for the player. That might mean a year-ish at Vermont before they sign him.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.