HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How does the Schenn/JVR trade impact the D

Old
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
tryce91
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Does anyone else have a BAD feeling that they're going to trade Couturier? With the 1st rounder used on Laughton, and trading Jvr for Luke Schenn, which means that Brayden obviously isn't going to go anywhere, I just have a bad feeling that they're thinking of trading Couturier. I REALLY hope I'm wrong. Someone talk me out of this mental state.
I would hope not but I think he values Schenn > Couts. I hope they trade neither.
But if they are to make a move for Bobby Ryan, I don't know how they could acquire him without including one of the two. Maybe Voracek + Mez + Gus + Picks but I dont know.

tryce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
For now i think everything depends on July 1. Here are soem hypothetical situations (for elite players) everyone will probably hate but could probably turn out awesome:

Get Suter on FA: Free up both Schenns to be traded as centrepiece in a deal for Nash (or Ryan).

Get Parise on FA: Free up both Schenns to be traded as centrepiece in a deal for Weber (who is gonna hang on as an RFA to see what happens in Nashville - isn't there also some rule about arbitration having done it once?).

Get Wideman of FA: Trade Mesz plus a forward (and whatever) for Ryan, resign Jagr.

Resign Jagr: Free up both Schenns to be traded as centrepiece in a deal for Weber.

Resign Carle: Just plug some gaps with minor UFA players. Take a run at Weber next year / deadline day using whatever looks good at the time.

Presuming the cap goes up (even just a couple of mill) all this fits. We have a lot of options... So I wouldn't expect anything more til FA.

You think re-signing Jagr frees up Schenn?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Gus can't handle a good forecheck, I'd rather have Bourdon or Manning out there if we're going that route.
If he puts on weight a lot of that should be alleviated.

Gus with 5-10 extra pounds on him should be good to go as the #6 d-man next year.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You think re-signing Jagr frees up Schenn?
I don't rate them as equal players but seeing as Schenn looks destined for the wing with G, Danny and Couts as the top 3 centres I'd say it would plug the void if he's playing wing...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I don't rate them as equal players but seeing as Schenn looks destined for the wing with G, Danny and Couts as the top 3 centres I'd say it would plug the void if he's playing wing...
By the time Schenn hits their prime Briere's contract will be up. Plus Briere is terrible defensively. I see the Flyers centers as G-Schenn-Coots but that's just me

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
By the time Schenn hits their prime Briere's contract will be up. Plus Briere is terrible defensively. I see the Flyers centers as G-Schenn-Coots but that's just me
I get that, I do too really. Just that that's 3 years away and this team is close to awesome now... Plus we just drafted another centre and our picks around that area have been pretty good lately... Really I don't think Schenn is going anywhere and that's good, but if I could trade the two of them and some lesser bits for someone like Weber I'd do it... Think it helps the team more... I'd be sad to loose them but ecstatic at the return...

Old
06-24-2012, 07:06 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
I get that, I do too really. Just that that's 3 years away and this team is close to awesome now... Plus we just drafted another centre and our picks around that area have been pretty good lately... Really I don't think Schenn is going anywhere and that's good, but if I could trade the two of them and some lesser bits for someone like Weber I'd do it... Think it helps the team more... I'd be sad to loose them but ecstatic at the return...
Or don't trade anyone and sign Weber in the next off season when Kimmo comes off the books. I wouldn't be against bringing in Gill for a season to pair with Carle if he is re signed.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:46 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Or don't trade anyone and sign Weber in the next off season when Kimmo comes off the books. I wouldn't be against bringing in Gill for a season to pair with Carle if he is re signed.
Yeah but then you go against every other team that will want him... He is once in a generation good, for that I think you have to pay the price, so to speak. Truth we can make loads of moves and create a really good top 6 and probably a pretty good 3rd line of forwards. My take is that you could sacrifice some of that for an elite guy for the long term. Not everyones cup of tea but if that was a choice I'd take it.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Yeah but then you go against every other team that will want him... He is once in a generation good, for that I think you have to pay the price, so to speak. Truth we can make loads of moves and create a really good top 6 and probably a pretty good 3rd line of forwards. My take is that you could sacrifice some of that for an elite guy for the long term. Not everyones cup of tea but if that was a choice I'd take it.
Philly is still one of those teams that a top player would want to sign long term with because they know the Flyers will always be a contender. I am sure Homer would trade for Weber's rights if Nashville knows they can't re-sign him also. Philly and Nashville have been good trading partners in the past.

Weber will get his contract either way because he is a top 3 d-man in the league.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Schenn is what we need. We don't need anymore offense. We need guys who can hold the back end down. That is where they improved. A physical defensive d-man that hits and blocks shots. Hes got a good shot and he can atleast make a nice first pass. He filled the void for the future and now. Kimmo will be gone next year. Then what? The trade for Schenn was needed.
Schenn actually isn't that good of a shot blocker. He does this awkward flamingo thing in front of the net that seems to do nothing but screen the goalie on a ton of occasions. Definitely not a Hal Gill type who actually blocks them efficiently. He gets a lot of hits, but I always feel like they're not that useful because the opponent usually still has the puck after the collision, or a play was made anyway.

As far as being what you guys need, hopefully Timonen can give him some confidence and impart some wisdom. People always talk about how Schenn wasn't well suited for Ron Wilson's brand of firewagon hockey, but it seems like the Flyers play that up tempo, ultra aggressive risk taking game too, so if you're expecting Schenn to guard the fort, that might not be the best use for him either...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Schenn actually isn't that good of a shot blocker. He does this awkward flamingo thing in front of the net that seems to do nothing but screen the goalie on a ton of occasions. Definitely not a Hal Gill type who actually blocks them efficiently. He gets a lot of hits, but I always feel like they're not that useful because the opponent usually still has the puck after the collision, or a play was made anyway.

As far as being what you guys need, hopefully Timonen can give him some confidence and impart some wisdom. People always talk about how Schenn wasn't well suited for Ron Wilson's brand of firewagon hockey, but it seems like the Flyers play that up tempo, ultra aggressive risk taking game too, so if you're expecting Schenn to guard the fort, that might not be the best use for him either...
He's also 22 years old...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Ok sure, enjoy.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
So was Jvr, but he was bust.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
So was Jvr, but he was bust.
Their both trash but d-men do indeed take longer to develop. Not expecting anything from either. Schenn atleast gives us a right handed shot from the point we desperately needed.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Their both trash but d-men do indeed take longer to develop. Not expecting anything from either. Schenn atleast gives us a right handed shot from the point we desperately needed.
Why exactly would you not expect anything from 22 year old players? My original statement was sarcastic.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Schenn's point shot is painfully inefficient on the point, since it takes him ages to get it off, when he's not fumbling the puck anyway. Hopefully for you guys he gets some schooling by the Flyers veteran defensemen and turns a corner.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryce91 View Post
Timonen
Coburn
Grossman
Meszaros
Schenn
Lilja

All currently under contract for next season.
Carle is a UFA but rumored to be resigning on July 1st.
Bourdon is a RFA and in my opinion played well enough last year to deserve a 5-6th Dman spot.
Lilja would be the 7th dman id assume.

So who is the odd man out? Does the Schenn acquisition mean Matt Carle will not be resigned? Will Bourdon be moved? What about Gustafsson?

I can't see any of the top D-men being moved, so how does it all end up working?
For me I offer Carle a fair deal and if he does not bite then let him walk. MAB should get a raise so we lock him up. Then we sit and wait till next year when we go after Weber!! Weber and Schenn on the same team would be sick!! There is a history there between them. Do it Homer!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I dont see how they sign Carle now, it would make zero sense...they would have 6 dmen making over 3.5 mil.
Somebody is getting traded.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Schenn actually isn't that good of a shot blocker. He does this awkward flamingo thing in front of the net that seems to do nothing but screen the goalie on a ton of occasions.
I have to see footage of this..does it exist? What does he do exactly..does he have one leg up and the other on the ice? That's the only posture I'm aware of when it comes to flamingos?

At least it's better than Carle..he does the Flamenco...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
At least it's better than Carle..he does the Flamenco...
I literally just bust up laughing in the middle of the office. So much mental imagery there

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
NJGoalie

This is from an article I wrote on my blog with my take on the situation, and why I think this will help the team in the end:

Link

Quote:
Schenn for JVR: Why this is a good move for the Flyers
Posted on June 24, 2012 by Milburn | Leave a comment | Edit
On a day in which one pair of brothers had already been reunited in Raleigh, another pair realized their desire to wear the same crest. The Flyers, who many had speculated were shopping for a defenseman, pulled off a move that I believe will have a positive impact on their immediate future as well as their outlook further down the road.

Paul Holmgrem pulled the trigger on a deal that sent James Van Riemsdyk to Toronto in exchange for Brayden Schenn’s older brother Luke(22). With that, there would be no further guessing as to when or if the recently injury plagued winger would be moved.

Last edited by SnS: 06-27-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Chopped quote.
NJGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Now that JVR is gone what's the center peice for a bobby Ryan trade? Mez won't be nearly enough IMO.

Plus if a dman is traded we're right back where we started, looking for defensive help. Actually I think the Flyers would be worse off then before considering they would have essentially just swapped a dman (say Mez) for Schenn.
Agreed, it sounded like Anaheim was pretty set on Schenn or Couturier being the center piece, I can't imagine that's changed especially now that we don't have JVR to trade.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Somebody is getting traded.
I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Carle and traded nobody on defense. Then again i could see them signing Carle and trading Mez.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Schenn's point shot is painfully inefficient on the point, since it takes him ages to get it off, when he's not fumbling the puck anyway. Hopefully for you guys he gets some schooling by the Flyers veteran defensemen and turns a corner.
Too much pressure in Leaf-Land, playing here in Philly with his brother will definitely make Luke improve.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:59 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by li fly guy View Post
weber and luke were roommates in juniors. So that means he's definitely coming here. Right?
boom!

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote