HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2012 (1st)

View Poll Results: Vote for our #1 Prospect!
Robin Lehner 19 9.90%
Stefan Noesen 2 1.04%
Jakob Silfverberg 101 52.60%
Mark Stone 6 3.13%
Matt Puempel 1 0.52%
Shane Prince 0 0%
Mika Zibanejad 57 29.69%
Cody Ceci 3 1.56%
Patrick Wiercioch 0 0%
Mark Borowiecki 0 0%
Andre Petersson 0 0%
Stephane Da Costa 0 0%
Jim O'Brien 1 0.52%
Jean-Gabriel Pageau 0 0%
Derek Grant 2 1.04%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Noesan-Prince-Puemple-Ceci-Hoffman isn't a bad 2nd tier either.

Edit: Da Costa and I guess Filatov as well.
According to Kilrea Ceci is definitely in the mix as a top Sens prospect!

Aedan Helmer ‏@OttSunHelmer

Brian Kilrea on #Sens pick Cody Ceci: "He'll be one of the top defencemen in the NHL... If you like Drew Doughty, you're gonna love Ceci."

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
Lehner is going to be our star goalie.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
The top 4 are basically easy with Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner and Stone topping the list. It gets really interesting after that.

I assume Bishop has played his way off this list (?) or it would be a top 5.
Does noesen jump into that conversation? When i was talking to pierre dorion he said noesen might be the best of that draft for them in the future. Noesen might be creaping up to stone in terms of value to the organization. From what Pierre said, it looks like noesen may have seperated himself from the second tier from that draft (puempel, prince, pageau) and gotten closer to zibanejad. I mean, i gotta trust what pierre told me.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:32 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
According to Kilrea Ceci is definitely in the mix as a top Sens prospect!

Aedan Helmer ‏@OttSunHelmer

Brian Kilrea on #Sens pick Cody Ceci: "He'll be one of the top defencemen in the NHL... If you like Drew Doughty, you're gonna love Ceci."
if you LIKE doughty, you're going to LOVE ceci? Sounds like we got ourselves a BETTER drew doughty....or doughty-heavy.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
PKC*

I'm surprised how little love Stone gets. This guy will make the roster this year. His hockey IQ is insane, his hands are unbelievable and he has the most important commodity GMs look for in forwards: goal scoring instincts. He just knows where to go on the ice and how to position himself. His release, timing and shooting mechanics are ridiculously good. And he's got the size and strength to stay balanced while shooting. Once his skating gets to be above average (which it will) he's basically the prototypical forward you could want.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
I think Zibanejad could be the best out of these prospects, but right now, gotta give it to Silfverberg. Winning the SEL MVP, the playoff MVP and dominating as a 20 year old is all amazing.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
SEL MVP. Youngest since Forsberg. Wins championship. Breaks Alfredsson goalscoring record in playoffs. Shows great showing in short stint in the playoffs.

Jakob Silfverberg.
Silf tied Alfie for the record. Lots of EN goals in there but it was pretty impressive.

I wonder if Zibs and Silf will bunk together at the Alfredsson estate? Or maybe Karlsson an Entourage type party mansion with that new contract.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Silf tied Alfie for the record. Lots of EN goals in there but it was pretty impressive.

I wonder if Zibs and Silf will bunk together at the Alfredsson estate? Or maybe Karlsson an Entourage type party mansion with that new contract.
Dude's getting married in a couple of weeks. I doubt him and his wife-to-be want to be running a frat house.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Alfredsson scored 12 and he was 32 years old and in the prime of his career. Silfverberg broke the record by scoring 13 at 21 years old.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Alfredsson scored 12 and he was 32 years old and in the prime of his career. Silfverberg broke the record by scoring 13 at 21 years old.
Ah, I thought the mark was 13. Not really comparable records though since Alfie did it in the best ever version of the SEL chalk full of NHLers over only 13 games. Silf had 4-5 EN goals and it took 17 games.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
I'm surprised how little love Stone gets. This guy will make the roster this year. His hockey IQ is insane, his hands are unbelievable and he has the most important commodity GMs look for in forwards: goal scoring instincts. He just knows where to go on the ice and how to position himself. His release, timing and shooting mechanics are ridiculously good. And he's got the size and strength to stay balanced while shooting. Once his skating gets to be above average (which it will) he's basically the prototypical forward you could want.
It's probably because he isn't Swedish. Sens fans on hfboards tend to get a little too excited over Swedish players. We saw this happen last year when many posters suggested that Rundblad was a better prospect than Cowen and that he had a better chance of making the team. IMO there is a similar thing going on this year with Silfverberg; he is going to be an excellent player for the sens, but I am not convinced that he is our number 1 prospect.

At this point, I would say that our six top prospects (in no particular order) are Stone, Lehner, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Noesen and Ceci.

I wouldn't rank Zibanejad as our number 1 prospect at this point because he is still too raw to allow any real indication of his top end potential. I think I would have to see him develop a bit more in order to determine if he really has elite first line potential or just elite second line potential.

Lehner is an interesting option because he was the MVP of the Calder cup championships. The rarity of truly elite number 1 goalies has to increase his value.

I think I will have to wait to see how Silfverberg adapts to the North American ice before I can evaluate if he is our top prospect. He looked okay in the playoffs, other than in the third period of game 7 where he started to make an impact. It will be interesting to see how he performs with less time and space.

Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Ah, I thought the mark was 13. Not really comparable records though since Alfie did it in the best ever version of the SEL chalk full of NHLers over only 13 games. Silf had 4-5 EN goals and it took 17 games.
It's hard to say. It was 14 games for Alfredsson though which gives him a GPG of .857 and Silfverberg had a GPG of .764...however as mentioned Alfredsson was in the prime of his career and 32 years old while Silfverberg was only 21 -- while also being the most focused on player in the league.

Either way what Silfverberg did last year was historical and hard to look past when discussing Ottawa's top prospect.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
It's probably because he isn't Swedish. Sens fans on hfboards tend to get a little too excited over Swedish players. We saw this happen last year when many posters suggested that Rundblad was a better prospect than Cowen and that he had a better chance of making the team. IMO there is a similar thing going on this year with Silfverberg; he is going to be an excellent player for the sens, but I am not convinced that he is our number 1 prospect.

At this point, I would say that our six top prospects (in no particular order) are Stone, Lehner, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Noesen and Ceci.

I wouldn't rank Zibanejad as our number 1 prospect at this point because he is still too raw to allow any real indication of his top end potential. I think I would have to see him develop a bit more in order to determine if he really has elite first line potential or just elite second line potential.

Lehner is an interesting option because he was the MVP of the Calder cup championships. The rarity of truly elite number 1 goalies has to increase his value.

I think I will have to wait to see how Silfverberg adapts to the North American ice before I can evaluate if he is our top prospect. He looked okay in the playoffs, other than in the third period of game 7 where he started to make an impact. It will be interesting to see how he performs with less time and space.
To be fair Rundblad was coming off a historical season in the SEL, but was expected by most to be a project (I thought he could adapt a bit faster, but I still think he's going to be ridiculously good.)

Stone isn't rated as highly as Silfverberg for good reason -- results. Stone has been good in junior while Silfverberg was absolutely tearing up a professional league for adults. There's a big difference there.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
if you LIKE doughty, you're going to LOVE ceci? Sounds like we got ourselves a BETTER drew doughty....or doughty-heavy.
Doughty will become known as 'Ceci lite' in a couple of yrs

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Berserker

Quote:
To be fair Rundblad was coming off a historical season in the SEL, but was expected by most to be a project (I thought he could adapt a bit faster, but I still think he's going to be ridiculously good.)

Stone isn't rated as highly as Silfverberg for good reason -- results. Stone has been good in junior while Silfverberg was absolutely tearing up a professional league for adults. There's a big difference there.
That same argument was used last season to support the claim that Rundblad was a better prospect and that he had a better chance of making the Sens roster than Cowen. Look how that worked out. Stone looked impressive in his NHL debut considering the fact that he had only played against kids all season.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

The thing is though these 'historical seasons' don't mean much in terms of what prospects project as. What you have to look at is their skills and what makes them successful. Anyone who watched Rundblad in the SEL knew he wouldn't be able to do those things in North America. There was always going to be a significant transition for the guy. Same goes for Silfverberg. His offense is definitely a question coming into the NHL. In the NHL, he won't be able to rely on that shot of his. Its absurd how much room he got at times in the SEL to get it off. That won't happen in the NHL and his skating isn't good enough to create space for it. There's going to be a learning curve for him to learn where the soft spots are against NHL D. What we tend to forget is how different the game is here compared to in Europe.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
That same argument was used last season to support the claim that Rundblad was a better prospect and that he had a better chance of making the Sens roster than Cowen. Look how that worked out. Stone looked impressive in his NHL debut considering the fact that he had only played against kids all season.
Very different players. On top of this there's still no guarantee that Cowen will be viewed as the better player 5 years down the line -- Rundblad is going to have a bit of a steep learning curve in the NHL because of his style of play. Silfverberg is a bit different because he is already someone that is a bit more of a gritty player (not physical though.) Even in the NHL games that he was in for you could see flashes of what made him the best player outside of the NHL last year.

Stone was OK in his call up, but aside from the pass that Spezza scored on he wasn't really noticeable. But as was said...it's not even about who will do better this year; it's about who will ultimately be better. My bet is on Silfverberg.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Berserker

Quote:
The thing is though these 'historical seasons' don't mean much in terms of what prospects project as. What you have to look at is their skills and what makes them successful. Anyone who watched Rundblad in the SEL knew he wouldn't be able to do those things in North America. There was always going to be a significant transition for the guy. Same goes for Silfverberg. His offense is definitely a question coming into the NHL. In the NHL, he won't be able to rely on that shot of his. Its absurd how much room he got at times in the SEL to get it off. That won't happen in the NHL and his skating isn't good enough to create space for it. There's going to be a learning curve for him to learn where the soft spots are against NHL D. What we tend to forget is how different the game is here compared to in Europe.
Well stated. The funny thing is that for those questioning Zibanejad's upside, he would have had a much better season playing anywhee in North America (CHL, AHL, NHL). His style of play is a lot more conducive to the smaller ice surfaces.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Well stated. The funny thing is that for those questioning Zibanejad's upside, he would have had a much better season playing anywhee in North America (CHL, AHL, NHL). His style of play is a lot more conducive to the smaller ice surfaces.
Exactly. The SEL isn't exactly a breeding ground for powerforwards. Those types of players rarely get used properly on big ice. Best place for him this season would have been the CHL imo.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Berserker

Quote:
Very different players. On top of this there's still no guarantee that Cowen will be viewed as the better player 5 years down the line -- Rundblad is going to have a bit of a steep learning curve in the NHL because of his style of play. Silfverberg is a bit different because he is already someone that is a bit more of a gritty player (not physical though.) Even in the NHL games that he was in for you could see flashes of what made him the best player outside of the NHL last year.

Stone was OK in his call up, but aside from the pass that Spezza scored on he wasn't really noticeable. But as was said...it's not even about who will do better this year; it's about who will ultimately be better. My bet is on Silfverberg.
I don't see anyway that Rundblad ever becomes a better player than Cowen. Rundblad may have better offensive skills and creativity than Cowen but he can barely play defence.

I would argue that Stone's offence IQ, positioning and ability to have the versatility to play Sniper, playmaker or power forward makes him the superior prospect to Silfverberg.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Berserker

Quote:
Exactly. The SEL isn't exactly a breeding ground for powerforwards. Those types of players rarely get used properly on big ice. Best place for him this season would have been the CHL imo.
For sure, he would have dominated the CHL and would likely have established himself as the clear cut number 1 prospect. In preseason he was beating NHL goalies with his one timer and destroy NHL players with his hits. Had he been playing in the OHL he would have had a dirty season.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
I don't see anyway that Rundblad ever becomes a better player than Cowen. Rundblad may have better offensive skills and creativity than Cowen but he can barely play defence.
As the saying goes...you can teach defence, but you can't teach the kind of offensive talents that Rundblad has.

Quote:
I would argue that Stone's offence IQ, positioning and ability to have the versatility to play Sniper, playmaker or power forward makes him the superior prospect to Silfverberg.
Silfverberg has all those things (minus the powerfoward) and is a better two-way player as well as a better skater. He also has a shot that distinguishes him from 99% of the league and once he learns to use it properly in the NHL I would be shocked if he didn't have a wealth of 30 goal seasons.

Quote:
For sure, he would have dominated the CHL and would likely have established himself as the clear cut number 1 prospect. In preseason he was beating NHL goalies with his one timer and destroy NHL players with his hits. Had he been playing in the OHL he would have had a dirty season.
This is pure speculation. Scheifele was more impressive in pre-season and the 9 game stint in Winnipeg and he didn't do anything spectacular back in junior outside of what he was expected to. Zibanejad did NOTHING this year that suggests he would have been a world beater in NA.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
This is pure speculation. Scheifele was more impressive in pre-season and the 9 game stint in Winnipeg and he didn't do anything spectacular back in junior outside of what he was expected to. Zibanejad did NOTHING this year that suggests he would have been a world beater in NA.
This is pure speculation?

Quote:
Silfverberg has all those things (minus the powerfoward) and is a better two-way player as well as a better skater. He also has a shot that distinguishes him from 99% of the league and once he learns to use it properly in the NHL I would be shocked if he didn't have a wealth of 30 goal seasons.
This is not speculation?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
playasRus

Ceci already with more votes than Puempel/Noeson/Prince combined. Shows the honeymoon phase is a short one.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Ceci already with more votes than Puempel/Noeson/Prince combined. Shows the honeymoon phase is a short one.
That would probably be because he's the better prospect...

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote