HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XV - The Luongo Trade-fights (Mod warnings in thread)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
  #976
Gavy
Registered User
 
Gavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
People forget how good Reimer was before he got injured.
Give him a full off season to recover and there is a good chance he can become that goalie again

Gavy is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
  #977
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Leaf fans only hope he can come back, and be a long term solution, and most can not deny he has hardly been given a chance. Last year he lost major time to concussion. Signing a FA to a one year deal allows us to fully gauge our goalie situation. If he in fact does have another season like last year, we are in trouble.
Sure you should hope he comes back. But relying on it would be like Columbus relying on their former rookie of the year goalie Mason bouncing back. Not a very smart strategy, IMO.

vanwest is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #978
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
People forget how good Reimer was before he got injured.
Give him a full off season to recover and there is a good chance he can become that goalie again
Also a good chance that he is the second coming of Raycroft and Mason. Kind of like going to Vegas and rolling the dice.

vanwest is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #979
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I'm all ears as to what those mysterious 'other option' are. One team has a glut of goalie talent and the other has amongst the worst goaltending in the league. And yet some posters claim the team with terrible goaltending is in the drivers seat. IT sounds like the same koolaid that Burke was selling with Dan Cloutier in Vancouver. Mind you at least Cloutier was a legitimate starting goalie.
Status quo vs overpaying for a goalie that no one wants to overpay for.

The team with terrible goaltending is in the drivers seat. They do not need Luongo. Luongo might make them a better team, but they do not need him.

Just like CBJ trying to tell you Vancouver needs Nash. For whatever price they demand.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #980
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#freePirri
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 22,399
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
But who could we get from FLA for him?
If the rumours about Lu only willing to come back to Florida are true, Tallon holds all the cards in the whole situation. Panthers have no dire need for Lu, and Tallon knows that. He isn't going to offer much, if even that.

Upshall [3.5 / UFA 2015], Santorelli [1.6 / RFA 2013] (combined capspace of 5.1 million) and a low prospect. That would be my guess.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
  #981
Gavy
Registered User
 
Gavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Also a good chance that he is the second coming of Raycroft and Mason. Kind of like going to Vegas and rolling the dice.
I know there is no guarantee, but a lot of people are talking like there is no hope for him and that he has never shown signs of being a #1 starter in the NHL.
Also, does anybody not remember that Scrivvens was the best goalie in the AHL pretty much?
I'm not saying we are going to have the best tandem in the league, but our future isn't looking as bad as people are making it seem.

Gavy is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
  #982
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,931
vCash: 400
Realistically what I see a team doing with Luongo: Have him play as starter for 4-5 years, and by that time whatever goalie prospects said team has will be ready to take over the starting role, and Luongo either retires then or plays backup for a year or two first.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
  #983
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Yeah, Florida makes sense. I mean, I never got how it was speculated that Luongo was going to Toronto. I thought the whole point of Luongo getting moved was so he could escape the scrutiny of the media circus. Why go from one circus to an even worse circus?

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
  #984
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I'm all ears as to what those mysterious 'other option' are. One team has a glut of goalie talent and the other has amongst the worst goaltending in the league. And yet some posters claim the team with terrible goaltending is in the drivers seat. IT sounds like the same koolaid that Burke was selling with Dan Cloutier in Vancouver. Mind you at least Cloutier was a legitimate starting goalie.
Then there are people who believe that the team with the player owed $46 million that they need to find a home for is in the driver seat.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
  #985
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Status quo vs overpaying for a goalie that no one wants to overpay for.

The team with terrible goaltending is in the drivers seat. They do not need Luongo. Luongo might make them a better team, but they do not need him.

Just like CBJ trying to tell you Vancouver needs Nash. For whatever price they demand.
Status quo gave the Leafs one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL last year. I doubt very much that Burke or ownership see that as a viable option. IMO, Burke has no other options and he knows it. Obviously he won't trad Gardiner but I think he'll be forced to make a fair deal. We'll see. Status quo is not an option.

vanwest is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
  #986
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
We'll do a three way with Florida and Vancouver,

Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall

Winnipeg: Markstrom
Vancouver: Machacek, Klingberg and WPG 2nd

Then Winnipeg moves Pavelec's rights

KingJet* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
  #987
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Does JVR play goalie?
No but it just seems convenient that this long rumoured deal finally happened not long after all the storys came out about Burke thinking the Canucks were asking too much. I think he was hanging on to Schenn as a piece to offer for Luongo but when that seemed to be getting nowhere he went with the backup plan.

Halibut is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
  #988
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
We'll do a three way with Florida and Vancouver,

Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall
Florida Panther fans are going to love that deal.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
  #989
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
I know there is no guarantee, but a lot of people are talking like there is no hope for him and that he has never shown signs of being a #1 starter in the NHL.
Also, does anybody not remember that Scrivvens was the best goalie in the AHL pretty much?
I'm not saying we are going to have the best tandem in the league, but our future isn't looking as bad as people are making it seem.
I don't see Scrivens/Reimer as even an option to be honest. We're not talking about a goalie who just took a step backward last year. We're talking about a goalie who had one of the worst years of any of the starting goalies. Can he bounce back? You certainly hope so but you don't roll the dice and go with him as your starter together with an AHL goalie. Status quo is simply not a realistic option. Burke's bluffing.

vanwest is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
  #990
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#freePirri
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 22,399
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall
A 1st and three of our top5 prospects for Lu? Keep on dreaming.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
  #991
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
We'll do a three way with Florida and Vancouver,

Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall

Winnipeg: Markstrom
Vancouver: Machacek, Klingberg and WPG 2nd

Then Winnipeg moves Pavelec's rights
WELL AS A CANUCKS FAN I CAN SAY THIS IS COMPLETELY FAIR AND UNBIASED.

Skead is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  #992
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
If the rumours about Lu only willing to come back to Florida are true, Tallon holds all the cards in the whole situation. Panthers have no dire need for Lu, and Tallon knows that. He isn't going to offer much, if even that.

Upshall [3.5 / UFA 2015], Santorelli [1.6 / RFA 2013] (combined capspace of 5.1 million) and a low prospect. That would be my guess.
If that's the truth, then we honestly might as well trade Schneider. It sucks but he'll fetch a much higher return and we keep a very solid goaltender that knows our system.

Are panthers interested in Schneider? For what?

Skead is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  #993
Provost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
We'll do a three way with Florida and Vancouver,

Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall

Winnipeg: Markstrom
Vancouver: Machacek, Klingberg and WPG 2nd

Then Winnipeg moves Pavelec's rights
I think you probably have to throw in Howden, Gudbranson, and Florida's weather to Vancouver to make that a fair deal.

Provost is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
  #994
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
We'll do a three way with Florida and Vancouver,

Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall


Winnipeg: Markstrom
Vancouver: Machacek, Klingberg and WPG 2nd

Then Winnipeg moves Pavelec's rights


This is just a terrible deal from Florida's perspective.

Desert Panther is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:01 PM
  #995
freakydave
Registered User
 
freakydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Status quo vs overpaying for a goalie that no one wants to overpay for.

The team with terrible goaltending is in the drivers seat. They do not need Luongo. Luongo might make them a better team, but they do not need him.

Just like CBJ trying to tell you Vancouver needs Nash. For whatever price they demand.
you need
I'm curious about your definition of overpaying?
As for your wise crack about Nash Van was among the top teams in GF last season
Toronto was among the bottom teams in GA largely due to poor goaltending.They may not need Luongo but they do need to upgrade & skills wise Luongo is the best upgrade that can be had at this time.

freakydave is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
  #996
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Status quo gave the Leafs one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL last year. I doubt very much that Burke or ownership see that as a viable option. IMO, Burke has no other options and he knows it. Obviously he won't trad Gardiner but I think he'll be forced to make a fair deal. We'll see. Status quo is not an option.
Keeping two starters with a combined 10-11 million salary is ridiculous. I doubt very much that Gillis or Canuck management sees that as a viable option. There are very few suitors for Luongo and I think Gillis knows that. There hand will be forced to take a less than acceptable package for Luongo.

See what I did there?

Now, if Luongo was an UFA, his contract would probably be considered "acceptable" (5.3X6). However signing him to that contract would not cost teams any assets. So it's a hard sell to try and get anything of value for him.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
  #997
PoundCake
Go Bolts!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
New thread is up.

PoundCake is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  #998
Machinae
Registered User
 
Machinae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't see Scrivens/Reimer as even an option to be honest. We're not talking about a goalie who just took a step backward last year. We're talking about a goalie who had one of the worst years of any of the starting goalies. Can he bounce back? You certainly hope so but you don't roll the dice and go with him as your starter together with an AHL goalie. Status quo is simply not a realistic option. Burke's bluffing.
It's like you legitimately cannot wrap your head around the idea that NO ONE wants to overpay for Luongo as a stop gap.

You're talking about "status quo" as if Reimer and Scrivens are two 30ish year old goaltenders who have no potential to become anything more.

Yes, the Leafs are young. So are their goalies. A veteran/mentor would be nice, but if not let the kids play. There is no urgency to give up young assets or valuable depth for Luongo.

Machinae is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
  #999
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
We'll do a three way with Florida and Vancouver,

Florida: Luongo
Vancouver: Fla 1st 2013, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall

Winnipeg: Markstrom
Vancouver: Machacek, Klingberg and WPG 2nd

Then Winnipeg moves Pavelec's rights
Tallon already refused taking Luongo for just Bjugstad alone, you think he will take him for Bjugstad, Markstrom, Petrovic and a 1st?

Good Lord.

Montsy14 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  #1000
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
I think you probably have to throw in Howden, Gudbranson, and Florida's weather to Vancouver to make that a fair deal.
lol


Fla is going to have come up slightly and van is going to come down slightly to see if either have commom ground

but Fla s not going to overpay like that ...even with Luo woth alot...the market isnt there to justify the cost




will say that luo on Fla team last year playoff would have been excellent for them(even though there goalies played mostly solid)


and tor would most likely have gotten into the playoffs

Luongo would fit well into either team (without looking at cost)and certainly upgrade them at goal


the big disclaimer is that for goalies do get discounted til(till playoffs)

and reguardless of the goalie coming their way....they dont want to sacrifice the future

crazyforhockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.