HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XVI - Licence to Save (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

vCash: 500
Luongo XVI - Licence to Save (Mod Warning in OP)

The other ones:
Roberto Luongo I - Dr Luuuuuu
Roberto Luongo II - From Vancouver With Love
Roberto Luongo III - Goldwinner
Roberto Luongo IV - Thunderpuck
Roberto Luongo V - You Only Get Traded to Florida Twice
Roberto Luongo VI - On Her Majesty's Secret Tire Pumping Service
Roberto Luongo VII - Jennings are Forever
Roberto Luongo VIII - Sieve and Let Die
Roberto Luongo IX - The Man With The Golden Medal
Roberto Luongo X - The GM Who Loved Me
Roberto Luongo XI - Luoraker
Roberto Luongo XII - For Your 1st-and-a-Prospect Only
Roberto Luongo XIII - UnoLussy
Roberto Luongo XIV - A Lu for a Steal
Roberto Luongo XV - The Luongo Trade-fights

For reference, here the list of James Bond films I am basing the thread titles off of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_films

Mod Warning: After 15 full threads - you know the drill. No trolling and please respect one another.

Last edited by ColePens: 06-25-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

lol, 7 more to Skyfall.

Last edited by NucksOnly: 06-25-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
supercilious

What's even left to talk about?

Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Over 15,000 posts in the past two months about one player.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
If that's the truth, then we honestly might as well trade Schneider. It sucks but he'll fetch a much higher return and we keep a very solid goaltender that knows our system.
I don't see Kopecky nor Jovo being involved since they're both important guys in the locker room, and for one you guys wouldn't touch Jovo with a ten foot pole lol.

Then there's a problem of Upshall having a NMC/partial NTC. But I guess he'd waive that for a contender.

I seriously don't see Tallon offering more than that. He went through the same situation with Campbell and didn't give up important pieces for him. This won't be any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Are panthers interested in Schneider? For what?
Nah, don't think so. That would be a bigger **** you to Markie than Lu, and would pretty much guarantee that Markie never even gets a change to prove himself.

Old
Provost

Bob Mackenzie tweeted that the Luongo forcing a trade to Florida is bunk...

Basically same as we have heard before. There is no "list" and the Canucks will talk to Luongo about particular teams if a deal is in the works with them.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Options: Florida
Return: Very small.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

After all this discussion you just know that nothing is going to happen.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Grandpabuzz

Send a message via AIM to Grandpabuzz
Luongo to Tampa for Garon/2nd rounder/Pyatt/Matthew Peca

Old
vanwest

QUOTE=Frank Drebin;51494203]Keeping two starters with a combined 10-11 million salary is ridiculous. I doubt very much that Gillis or Canuck management sees that as a viable option. There are very few suitors for Luongo and I think Gillis knows that. There hand will be forced to take a less than acceptable package for Luongo.

See what I did there?
Now, if Luongo was an UFA, his contract would probably be considered "acceptable" (5.3X6). However signing him to that contract would not cost teams any assets. So it's a hard sell to try and get anything of value for him.[/QUOTE]

That is what I have said all along. Burke is desperate for a goalie and Vancouver needs to move one. A fair deal gets done, IMO. The whole Scrivens/Reimer nonsense is just a bluff as is Gillis saying that he will go with two goalies. The bargaining power is fairly equal. Of course this all changes if another team makes an offer for Luongo and he will waive to that team.

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post

Basically same as we have heard before. There is no "list" and the Canucks will talk to Luongo about particular teams if a deal is in the works with them.
Yup.

I'll trust Bob before anyone else. I think the same 4 teams are still sniffing around, but Gillis has set the price very high.

I'm sure they'll find a middle ground eventually.

I also strongly believe Gillis is waiting until he's signed Schneider before a trade is finalized.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:10 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Yup.

I'll trust Bob before anyone else. I think the same 4 teams are still sniffing around, but Gillis has set the price very high.

I'm sure they'll find a middle ground eventually.

I also strongly believe Gillis is waiting until he's signed Schneider before a trade is finalized.
This is the thing that all of those predicting a weekend deal missed. There is no way Gillis trades Luongo before at least having a deal in principle with Schneider. Gillis is very pragmatic and he won't be pushed by artificial deadlines.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
After all this discussion you just know that nothing is going to happen.
precisely

Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
This is the thing that all of those predicting a weekend deal missed. There is no way Gillis trades Luongo before at least having a deal in principle with Schneider. Gillis is very pragmatic and he won't be pushed by artificial deadlines.
It would be pretty stupid to trade Roberto Luongo before signing Cory Schneider to a contract.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Once July 1 is done, teams will know what remaining budgets they have left over (short-term and long) to convince ownership to take on Luongo's contract. For example, if FLA loses Garrison to UFA, a slightly trade discounted Luongo will look much more attractive.

06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Once July 1 is done, teams will know what remaining budgets they have left over (short-term and long) to convince ownership to take on Luongo's contract. For example, if FLA loses Garrison to UFA, a slightly trade discounted Luongo will look much more attractive.
When GM's see the contracts that get handed out on July 1st Luongo will look like a pretty reasonable deal. The July 1st contracts get worse every year.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Provost

Quote:
When GM's see the contracts that get handed out on July 1st Luongo will look like a pretty reasonable deal. The July 1st contracts get worse every year.
Yep.... when Parise and Suter are offered 7 year, $10 million per year contracts you will just shake your heads.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Yep.... when Parise and Suter are offered 7 year, $10 million per year contracts you will just shake your heads.
Not to mention the second tier guys who get 5 year $4.5 to $5.0 million with no trade clauses. And all the GM's will be 'shocked' at the contracts.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Status quo gave the Leafs one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL last year. I doubt very much that Burke or ownership see that as a viable option. IMO, Burke has no other options and he knows it. Obviously he won't trad Gardiner but I think he'll be forced to make a fair deal. We'll see. Status quo is not an option.
You are hoping that Burke has no other options otherwise the Luongo market becomes a market where Dale Tallon can trade whatever the hell he wants for Luongo. There are definitely other options that Burke can pursue, Reimer/Scrivens being one of them. He can always make a trade mid season for a goalie or the other option of an OS to Schneider. I believe Frank Drebin made an interesting post earlier of an offer of 5.3 x 4 to Schneider. Would it be an overpayment? Yes, but it still sounds a lot better than 5.3 x 10.

Toronto is not in win now mode either, they can afford to be patient, no sane Leafs fan should expect them to be relevant next year. This whole idea that Burke has no other choice but Luongo is a fabrication, there are no credible reports that Burke's job is in jeopardy if the Leafs fail to make it again this year.

I have said from day 1 that I didn't see a deal here that made sense from either team's perspective as well as Luongo's. Toronto is a young team that does not need a 33 year old goalie, by the time they start to become competitive Luongo will be thinking of retirement. Vancouver needs to improve their roster now, acquiring a bunch of futures that will begin to contribute in a few years time does not help. From Luongo's perspective I think his least favourite part of playing in Vancouver would probably be the pressure from media and fans after every exit, no doubt he would prefer Florida.

Quote:
Are there even any starting goalies whose contracts are up this year? I think Price is a RFA (?). Then there is Pavelec who will likely get a big offer from the KHL, hardly any premiere names this year.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Skead

Quote:

Sorry, my twitter must be messed up, I don't see that tweet. Can you link it here? That'd be very interesting!

Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
You are hoping that Burke has no other options otherwise the Luongo market becomes a market where Dale Tallon can trade whatever the hell he wants for Luongo. There are definitely other options that Burke can pursue, Reimer/Scrivens being one of them. He can always make a trade mid season for a goalie or the other option of an OS to Schneider. I believe Frank Drebin made an interesting post earlier of an offer of 5.3 x 4 to Schneider. Would it be an overpayment? Yes, but it still sounds a lot better than 5.3 x 10.

Toronto is not in win now mode either, they can afford to be patient, no sane Leafs fan should expect them to be relevant next year. This whole idea that Burke has no other choice but Luongo is a fabrication, there are no credible reports that Burke's job is in jeopardy if the Leafs fail to make it again this year.

I have said from day 1 that I didn't see a deal here that made sense from either team's perspective as well as Luongo's. Toronto is a young team that does not need a 33 year old goalie, by the time they start to become competitive Luongo will be thinking of retirement. Vancouver needs to improve their roster now, acquiring a bunch of futures that will begin to contribute in a few years time does not help. From Luongo's perspective I think his least favourite part of playing in Vancouver would probably be the pressure from media and fans after every exit, no doubt he would prefer Florida.

Are there even any starting goalies whose contracts are up this year? I think Price is a RFA (?). Then there is Pavelec who will likely get a big offer from the KHL, hardly any premiere names this year.

I'm not hoping anything. I 've said all along that he has zero other options and so far I've been right despite those who floated Vokoun, Lindback, Thomas, Harding, Bernier and status quo as legitimate options.
An offer sheet to Schneider is another pipe dream. The only player in recent memory acquired through offer sheet was Penner. Offer sheets just don't work.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
It would be pretty stupid to trade Roberto Luongo before signing Cory Schneider to a contract.
And it would be pretty stupid for Schneider to sign a contract before he knows for sure that he is the only option.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Over 15,000 posts in the past two months about one player.
I think more than the player its just been a pissing match between two fan-bases.

"We have leverage"
"You could not be more wrong, we have more leverage"

"We have 13 Cups, sure they were won before we were born but they still count!"
"We just won back to back President trophies, sure its a useless award but it still means we are awesome!"

Old
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
And it would be pretty stupid for Schneider to sign a contract before he knows for sure that he is the only option.
If Gillis promises Schneider he will be the number one I think he'd sign.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
crazyforhockey

number 1 is that July 1st alot of uncertainty will disappear as the big names move

even if a team has a very very very long shot to land said player(s)...it will start the dominos on other players and then teams will see their cap needs and the need they have at goal

then we can see realistically how high they want to bump up offers..esp if two or more become focused on Luongo as soldifing their goalie tandem/playoff hopes

Closed Thread