HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto-Nashville

Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
PAZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Touched a nerve with your Predators wunder kid eh boys! I've been a fan of Wilson for years now but have been utterly unimpressed with his play in the NHL thus far. Maybe I had set the bar too high for him. Too often I have tuned into a Nashville game with Wilson # 1 on my player to watch list, only to sit through many un-inspiring and plain useless shifts with nothing being accomplished. I can see Colin Wilson being a frustrating player we look back on and think 'how the hell did it never come together for this kid?'

Matt Frattin on the other hand impresses me nearly every time I see him. His effort and attention to detail is through the roof. An all around player with high character who gives everything he has every single shift.

I'm not forecasting either to be a superstar (and I suspect that is where most of you disagree with me re: Wilson). But I see Frattin being the more complete, more dependable NHL player. Apparently many disagree, which is fine
Frattin will probably be a 4th liner, with his ceiling as a 3rd liner. Those players are dime a dozen, I don't see how you could make the argument that Frattin is more valuable than Wilson who has the potential to be a top 6 player, even if he does have more boom or bust potential as well.

To try to put it in perspective for you, you'd rather keep Frattin over Kadri? Because right now Kadri hasn't done much at all, and i'd much rather have Wilson over Kadri.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So... because he played well in the AHL playoffs he's suddenly next to untouchable?

Michal Neuvirth led his team to 2 straight Calder Cups and has played solid at the NHL level. I guess that means he's worth Kessel ++, right?

No, I'll continue to rub my eyes, thanks.
I'm not sure how trading Neuvirth for Kessel is comparable to trading Frattin for Wilson.

Wilson is largely a player who hasn't hit his expected potential and has been rumored to be in his coach's dog shed. Kessel has excelled and just put up a huge season.

Frattin meanwhile showed a huge scoring potential, leading the NCAA in scoring in his last year, then playing well in his first season in the NHL and playing spectacularly in his first pro playoff experience.

I fail to see how it astounds you that we'd be hesitant to trade him for a guy that has largely failed to meet his draft expectations.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
did I miss something in the past 3-4 months, but can someone please explain to me, since when did Matt Frattin became a grade "A" prospect...?

and Wilson not an upgrade over Bozak... just WOW
His Calder Cup run, mostly.

And while Wilson has the greater potential, by far, Bozak is currently playing the better more complete game and has some of the best chemistry with that top line. He's interesting... he plays better with more responsibility and against stiffer competition.

Wilson has also taken a long time to develop. I understand the whole PF - slower to develop thing, but I worry he's capped out (same worry I have with JvR). And does he still play C regularly?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Wilson, and would like him on the Leafs and would probably at least try playing him over Bozak, but there's so much more to it than saying "For now and ever, Wilson>Bozak".

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:15 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Frattin will probably be a 4th liner, with his ceiling as a 3rd liner. Those players are dime a dozen, I don't see how you could make the argument that Frattin is more valuable than Wilson who has the potential to be a top 6 player, even if he does have more boom or bust potential as well.

To try to put it in perspective for you, you'd rather keep Frattin over Kadri? Because right now Kadri hasn't done much at all, and i'd much rather have Wilson over Kadri.
Frattin is near guaranteed (nothing is ever 100%) to be a solid, well rounded, dependable NHL player who has offensive talent but will never wow with 80 point seasons.

What good is Wilson if he doesn't develop into the goal scoring power forward he's been projected as? No good...he'd be useless since he certainly doesn't know the defensive side of the puck.

So then you ask yourself, will Wilson develop into the player we all at one time thought he would be? From what I've seen my answer right now is no and that's why I wouldn't trade Frattin for Wilson.

I know I'm one man on an island with that projection but it's how I see it! 3 years from now I see Frattin as a 3rd liner who does everything well. The type of player everyone wants on their team. While Wilson will be on his 2nd team still struggling to produce at a high level. Can I be wrong? Of course. But at this point that's my projected path of these 2 players. Nashville fans of course disagree.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post

This isn't really correct. At all.

Frattin played 3rd line minutes last year and did very well in that time. When he got the opportunity to play top 6 minutes, he didn't look out of place at all.

He's likely to be a tweener at this point, with a ceiling at a good 2nd line winger who plays a power forwardish type game. He's got a wicked shot that is one of his strongest abilities. He's certainly above the level of a 4th liner already and has a fairly good shot at being a 2nd line winger with proper development.

And while I agree with you, that I'd rather have Wilson over Kadri, to say that he hasn't done anything in disingenuous. He's a top line forward at the AHL level and was when he entered the league. he's improved his defensive game and is ready to take the jump into the NHL. He's better than the vast hfboard hive mind mentality give him credit for.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
roboninja
EYG

Seeing where they are in their development, I am actually going to have to agree with some Leafs fans: I would not trade Frattin for Wilson straight up.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote