HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn Appreciation Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Theron
#beauty

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
I'm really dissapointed. Since Burke stated so many times he would not trade Luke I imagine he talked to him before hand and got the okay. Who wouldn't want to play on a winning team with your brother?

As a kelowna boy I had the chance to watch him play junior .. At the wjc he was a stud and I still have my "tank for Schenn" avatar somewhere. I was so pumped and we traded him and got him in the draft.. His first year he was a rock. The expectations in the city are crazy and I feel bad for the way he got treated here... As much as it breaks my heart to see him leave - at least he has a chance to win a cup now with his lil bro, opposed to this hockey hell.

Last time I felt this bad was when Joseph signed in Detroit..

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Dayjobdave

I've been a fan of Luke since his world junior days.

I wish him well in Philly, and I hope the flyers play the Pens again next year before we knock off the winner.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That's patently foolish. Nobody builds around a young physical defensemen, you build a team around the kind of rare skill you find in players like JVR and you fill in the gaps with developed physical defensemen with the experience to succeed in the playoffs.
I dunno, the Blues are doing pretty well.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:35 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
I'm really dissapointed. Since Burke stated so many times he would not trade Luke I imagine he talked to him before hand and got the okay. Who wouldn't want to play on a winning team with your brother?

As a kelowna boy I had the chance to watch him play junior .. At the wjc he was a stud and I still have my "tank for Schenn" avatar somewhere. I was so pumped and we traded him and got him in the draft.. His first year he was a rock. The expectations in the city are crazy and I feel bad for the way he got treated here... As much as it breaks my heart to see him leave - at least he has a chance to win a cup now with his lil bro, opposed to this hockey hell.

Last time I felt this bad was when Joseph signed in Detroit..
I know how you feel man. It's weird, I just get this empty feeling everytime I think of how Schenn got traded away. I liked that guy so much, he was a homegrown player, and I looked forward to seeing him play on this team for many years and being our version of Adam Foote. Unfortunately it seems that dream is over. Would love to see Schenn come back some day but it's not gonna happen.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Schennanigans

This trade is so hard for me to swallow. Schenn gave it his all for this ogranization, sticking up for his teamates and fighting, showing leadership qualities at a very young age. He was my favourite player here and I hope he does well in Philly.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I dunno, the Blues are doing pretty well.
Since when did the Blues build around a physical defenseman?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I guess were not all agreeing here, imo it was simply a case of Schenn getting his new big contract only hours before camp and thought he needed to do things he can't to justify the contract. with a summer to relax and get perspective I think Schenn would have come back better then ever and would have been great for years to come. one day this team will learn not to trade away picks after having one bad season. one day can't wait for that day.
Out of the Flyers young core of

Giroux
JVR
Couturier
Schenn
Voracek
Simmonds
Read

it isn't that much of a stretch to suggest that JVR has the second most potential and natural ability out of that group after Giroux.

So when you trade 'pick for pick', this really isn't a bad thing at all.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:55 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Since when did the Blues build around a physical defenseman?
Since when did they build around "skilled offensive players"? My point is that there's no one way to win a championship, and it's stupid to insist that it HAS to be done one way.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Since when did they build around "skilled offensive players"? My point is that there's no one way to win a championship, and it's stupid to insist that it HAS to be done one way.
"That's patently foolish. Nobody builds around a young physical defensemen, you build a team around the kind of rare skill you find in players like JVR and you fill in the gaps with developed physical defensemen with the experience to succeed in the playoffs."

I said rare skill, not forwards. a) St. Louis is not a champion b) they've put together a lot of rare skill type guys like Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk, Berglund and have been adding Tarasenko, Schwartz to that core.

LA had really skilled players in Kopitar, Doughty, etc. and had Greene and Mitchell in supporting roles.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:03 PM
darty

Count me as someone not entirely thrilled with this trade. He needed to lose some weight and improve his foot speed, but he had so many of the intangables to become a leader on the ice with big hits, standing up for his teammates, durable and always giving it his all. He lacked confidence from early on and couldn't get it back last season, but I would have liked to see how he would have done under Carlyle's system. When he's playing confident he's patient with the puck and makes smart plays, when's he's not confident, he tries to be patient but loses it and overplays the position. He'll regain confidence in Philly and dominate, I bet.

Going to miss Schenn and I'll likely root for him for the rest of his career (unless he's facing us).

Last edited by darty: 06-24-2012 at 05:13 PM.
darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Not a bad trade for either team, but still gutted we are losing Luke.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
RedRenegade

Take care Luke. We were happy to have you in TO and wish you the best. Great heart and soul guy.

RedRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
mapleleaf979

I liked Luke Schenn alot in his first year. The thing is to me , that was his best year as a Maple Leaf. Luke Schenn is a painfully slow skater who gets punished and exposed by fast skating forecheckers. His lead feet give him less time to make decisions as well when he has the puck. His first pass isnt great, he has no offensive upside. Defensively his lack of speed is a real black mark in his game. Most skaters salivate when they see Schenn back there. Terrible skater.

Schenn and Phaneuf have a cancerious relationship in that dressing room. Anyone remember when Phaneuf after saying "no" to fight HArtnell in a 7-1 loss, but instead went after Braydon Schenn . Lukes brother is not a fighter but thats who Dion wanted to rough up. Braydon was coming off a long layoff with a concussion. This is not the reason they hate one another but it sure added more. Dion is a FAKE TOUGH GUY. I personally can not stand Dion. His terrible contract 6.5 million cap hit is basically unmoveable. One of them had to go. All the best to Schenn who was always there to talk to media when others arent. Lukes TRoops is fantastic. He flew over to Afghanastan as well. Great kid.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

First and only Leafs jersey ive owned.

Take care Luke. Come back to us via FA.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Ari91

Really like Schenn. Good kid with a great heart and seemed willing to do everything asked of him (even if he wasn't able to always do it well). Wish him well in Philly.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Incognito

I may be in the minority, but I absolutely did NOT want Schenn traded. I think players like him are worth their weight in gold in the playoffs, whenever we actually do make it there. Regardless, I will continue to be a big Luke Schenn fan and I wish him every success in Philadelphia. I hope he becomes the monster that he was supposed to turn into but never had the chance to be under Ron Wilson.

Thank for everything, Luke!

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
facey

I'll mis him, loved Luke in the blue&white.

Talk about an awesome rookie, typical sophomore, and a solid 3rd year player; i'll just leave out year 4 because that shouldn't be the entire memory and it's already been stated here.

He's a good sask-boy: tough, hard-working, honest & self-sacrificing. IMO he'll be a hell of an NHLer for a long time, as soon as he gets his confidence back. If he ever improves his release time, his shot will be awesome. And until this season his breakout pass was quick and sufficient. He stood up for teammates, made momentum changing hits, and was our best defence against the cycle. A personal fear of mine is that he winds his way onto the LAK where DD returns Luke to his full glory Summit-Series and WJC play, as one of the most beast shut-down D I've ever seen.

I was front row when he peek-a-boo punched some 20 year old russian following a cheap shot on Claude Giroux, felt like I was watching my son lose a fight as his knees buckle getting fed by Rob Davison, jumped off my couch when he went Bobby-Orr versus the Senators. Hell I was PUMPED when we picked him, and think he's got a good mentor,in Chris Pronger, now. I'd wage we hate playing Philly for one more reason now.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote