HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap/Free Agency Megathread

Old
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm29 View Post
I'm not sure where else to put this, but I have a theory I'd like to share:

I honestly think that drafting the big centers increases the chance that we go after Parise in FA. Pegula stated when he arrived that he wanted to win a cup in three years, but it's unrealistic to think that a center group of Grigorenko, Girgensons, Hodgson and Ennis will be mature enough to lead a team to a cup, so a strong corp of wingers would be key if we were to contend in 2013-14.

If we trade Roy to make room for Parise, a winger group of Parise, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, etc. would be enough to carry the young guys, and the cap room would be there with the G's, Foligno, Pysyk and McNabb on ELCs.

Assuming Grigs and Girgs are NHL ready in 2013 and Pegula sticks to his guns about wanting to contend for a cup then, the stars are aligning for us when you consider the number of potential impact players on entry-level deals we'll have. A star winger added to the group (Parise, Iginla, Ryan) would be a smart pickup if we use the potential cap space the right way, and you have to believe Darcy is going to make another move based on his ability to get who he's wanted since T-pegs took over.
imo, we stay away from the big FA names this year. Darcy looks to trades, and if he doesn't find the deal he wants, he waits til the deadline. I don't think we look at making a splash in FA until next year, when the crop of high-quality players will be much larger. The 3 year plan was predicated on us having a good enough core in place that we could just tack on a few pieces and compete. Pegula, DR, and co have realized that isn't the case and we needed significant upgrades at center before that could happen. We've filled that need with young players, which probably pushes that window a little bit unless they develop and mature really quickly.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Luceni

I believe that we will go into the new season with the following lineup:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Leino - Roy - Grigs
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Gerbe - Hecht/Adam - Kaleta

Myers - Regehr
Erhoff - Sulzer
Sekera - MacNabb

I guess we will try to shop Leopold, Weber, Roy and Adam. I trust Regier and he will find the right deal for those players.

I doubt that any big deals including roy will happen before training camp.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Der Jaeger

Guys I like, beyond the obvious (Suter, Parise). Just a collection of UFA thoughts...

- Bottom six guys I like: Moen, McClement, Prust, Winnik, Ryan Carter. I like Carter and McClement as 4C's. I think Prust can play center too... though I read that somewhere. I don't know.

- Penner as the LW on a line with Hodgson and Vanek? Could create some space for Vanek.

- If Regier trades Roy, what about Jokinen on a short deal, to protect Hodgson and Ennis, until Grigorenko and Girgensons are ready?

- Parenteau at RW? Might allow Pominville and Vanek to get back together, or Vanek and Parenteau?

Just some thoughts looking a the UFA list.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
tsujimoto74

I'd consider Parenteau as an option, depending on what kind of contract he wants. I have a feeling his scoring ability was inflated by playing next to Tavares, so I'd be hesitant to sign him long-term or for big money.
Not a fan of Penner. imo, he's not worth the money he's making now, let alone the raise he's probably looking for.
For bottom line guys, I really like McClement, second choice would be Prust, then Winnick.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd consider Parenteau as an option, depending on what kind of contract he wants. I have a feeling his scoring ability was inflated by playing next to Tavares, so I'd be hesitant to sign him long-term or for big money.
Not a fan of Penner. imo, he's not worth the money he's making now, let alone the raise he's probably looking for.
For bottom line guys, I really like McClement, second choice would be Prust, then Winnick.
Rumor was that he was asking for $5m per around the deadline. He probably wants a contract similar to Leino. At that price, a big no thanks from me.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
ADoubleD

I'm not really expecting any big trades or signings to be made by Darcy at this point, but after landing Grigorenko and Girgensons in the draft I can live with that. I'm honestly glad we didn't move the 12th pick for an established NHLer because I think Grigs has the potential to be better than anyone we most likely could've gotten in a trade. Only time will tell if that's true and if drafting will pay off, but I hope and think it will.

I feel that besides a few minor trades and/or free agent signings this will largely be the roster the team goes into camp with. If that's the case I wonder if Darcy will look to make a big move after he sees how things shake out in training camp. If Grigorenko impresses and makes the team maybe we see a deal made for a big time player with one of our other centers as the centerpiece. I'd assume that the center would be Ennis or Hodgson and not Roy.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:02 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I believe that we will go into the new season with the following lineup:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Leino - Roy - Grigs
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Gerbe - Hecht/Adam - Kaleta

Myers - Regehr
Erhoff - Sulzer
Sekera - MacNabb

I guess we will try to shop Leopold, Weber, Roy and Adam. I trust Regier and he will find the right deal for those players.

I doubt that any big deals including roy will happen before training camp.
I don't see them putting Grigs on the wing, but that's just me. If Grigs does make the team then I'd assume that the center who will be moving to the wing is gonna be Roy. Obviously that can and probably will change in certain situations, but I think Grigs will be playing center if he makes the team.

I also wonder if given the team's new found depth at center if they'll move Adam to the wing. If so would that give him a better shot at making the team, or with the current amount of NHL forwards we have, the possibility of Grigs making the team, and any potential free agent signings do Adam's chances diminish?

Edit: Actually Grigs playing wing at first wouldn't surprise me. I'd love a Vanek-Hodgson-Grigorenko line.

Last edited by ADoubleD: 06-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Guys I like, beyond the obvious (Suter, Parise). Just a collection of UFA thoughts...

- Bottom six guys I like: Moen, McClement, Prust, Winnik, Ryan Carter. I like Carter and McClement as 4C's. I think Prust can play center too... though I read that somewhere. I don't know.

- Penner as the LW on a line with Hodgson and Vanek? Could create some space for Vanek.

- If Regier trades Roy, what about Jokinen on a short deal, to protect Hodgson and Ennis, until Grigorenko and Girgensons are ready?

- Parenteau at RW? Might allow Pominville and Vanek to get back together, or Vanek and Parenteau?

Just some thoughts looking a the UFA list.
Of the UFA list, I think Wellwood would be a cost-effective option for some NHL depth at the 4th line center spot if Roy/Hodgson/Ennis get slotted for the top 3 lines.

Assuming a top winger (i.e. Ryan, Parise) isn't added and the existing group of wings remains, Stempniak would be a decent short-term, relatively inexpensive option for a 3rd line spot alongside Leino / Kaleta / Gerbe. Even though he's only 29, I wouldn't want the Sabres to sign him for more than 1 year though.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Of the UFA list, I think Wellwood would be a cost-effective option for some NHL depth at the 4th line center spot if Roy/Hodgson/Ennis get slotted for the top 3 lines.

Assuming a top winger (i.e. Ryan, Parise) isn't added and the existing group of wings remains, Stempniak would be a decent short-term, relatively inexpensive option for a 3rd line spot alongside Leino / Kaleta / Gerbe. Even though he's only 29, I wouldn't want the Sabres to sign him for more than 1 year though.
What do you think about signing Schultz?

Old
06-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
I know a lot of you guys are excited but I don't see a big splash in free agency at all this season. On top of that, I think the chances of a big trade are reasonable but I'm not expecting it. I think it's more likely we see roster players and/or Brennan/Adam-type prospects go out for a veteran bottom 9 center if such a player isn't acquired via free agency.

I'd almost be willing to put money on Parise to Pittsburg at this point, as they've freed up considerable salary over the draft and have two enticingly elite centers for him to play with plus instant contender status. A team like Detroit also has a surplus of cap space, and some fantastic skill forwards to play with. I'd just be surprised if there is much interest on either side for Parise; the guy is going to be making a LOT of money.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Luceni

Oh btw I hope we stay away from parenteau.
I have watched a lot of games of NYI since Grabner went there and all I can say is that his numbers are just the pure skill of Taveres. Parenteau played a lot with Taveres and Moulson and Taveres carried both wingers alone.

Damn, Taveres on a team which actually tries to make the playoffs would be huge. I've never seen so much wasted talent like taveres on a loser-team like NYI....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
koarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Oh btw I hope we stay away from parenteau.
lol, so do i .... so do i.
we already carry enough of that kind in leino.

there are not many UFAs i am interested in. just the most obvious ones (parise, suter etc) or bottom 6 guys. but not those guys with shortly inflated numbers.

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Rumor: Hecht returning to Mannheim is "in the realm of possibilities." [LINK; Pg4]

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
What do you think about signing Schultz?
In terms of adding a top defensive prospect, I'm all for it - but, since there may be stiff competition in bidding for him and the Sabres need more depth at forward right now, I wouldn't rate the pursuit of Schultz as the top priority.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
BillHoppeNHL #Sabres qualified all their restricted free agents, including Dennis Persson, whose rights they retain. #Buffalo
http://twitter.com/BillHoppeNHL/stat...42645851271169

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
What's their plan with Persson?

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
What's their plan with Persson?
They retained his rights by giving him a QO, but he has already signed a contract with Brynäs in the SEL.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
In terms of adding a top defensive prospect, I'm all for it - but, since there may be stiff competition in bidding for him and the Sabres need more depth at forward right now, I wouldn't rate the pursuit of Schultz as the top priority.
He's basically a freebie to chase for two reasons:
#1 There contract he gets is basically set in stone and pretty much every team serious about him being here will be offering the same max bonuses on an ELC

#2 The process begins right now, with him fielding offers on Wednesday, so it isn't going to detract from the courtship of UFAs when free agency begins.

If he were a regular free agent I would agree, but there's really no harm in making their pitch and in fact it would be pretty negligent if they didn't, unless they think he's not actually going to be a really good NHL player.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
I could see it as a move in conjunction with some defensive talent out, eg: Regier has to deal some blueline talent and depth to acquire Ryan.

The more I think about Parise, the more I think he's the guy Buffalo should go after hard. I get that Ryan is the exact type of forward that Buffalo needs. I also understand that Parise is going to cost a lot - and that NJ probably signs him. It also puts Buffalo over the cap with some moves to make to get under. If the cap goes down, they've got some serious work to do.

Despite all that, he's got a lot of what Buffalo needs - leadership, scoring, shows up in the playoffs, and from what the Devil's players say, he's good for team chemistry.

Head tells me that Regier should trade for Ryan. Gut tells me Parise is the right move.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The numbers are in (and will likely be different under a new CBA):

$70.2M - salary cap.
$54.2M - salary floor.

06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
They retained his rights by giving him a QO, but he has already signed a contract with Brynäs in the SEL.
Whoops, meant Schiestel.

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:32 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Whoops, meant Schiestel.
They qualified him but I don't think anyone really knows what they'll do with him.
He didn't bounce back after his injury and the numbers are now against him since he didn't make an NHL appearance by the time his ELC was up.

I think he'll be used as a piece of a larger trade or swapped for a forward with similar potential.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
ceky

vCash: 0
i think the sabres could be a really balanced team this year. just had some free minutes to play around an came up with this lineup:

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.667m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($3.000m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.600m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m) / Jason Arnott ($2.875m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.303m)
John Scott ($0.600m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Alexander Sulzer ($0.725m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Jordan Leopold ($3.000m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)
Mike Weber ($0.950m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,357,273; BONUSES: $960,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,842,727

i think grigorenko could learn a lot from playing with poms, plus we would have a strong FO guy with hogson to help out with defensive faceoffs when needed. there would be even enough cap left for callups and to add an expensive player at the trade deadline.
imho not a contender, but a very solid, young team with room for development.

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Does anyone have a clue how long it is going to take for the Sabres to make that last move we are all waiting for? I would love to bring in Arnott for 1 or even 2 yrs. Is anyone getting worried we are going into the season with the current line up? Or should i just take a chill pill and wait it out? it would be nice to get Stastny also but i don't see that happening. What does anyone else think that is going to happen? Really would like to hear what people think the Sabres are going to do with a trade or free agent.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
chill pill

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote