HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DEFENSE ONLY 2012 NHL Draft | Jun 23 | 10:00a | Rounds 2-7

Old
06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
StumpNYI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Probably because most our top defenseman prospects are 6 feet or less
True, but that proves my point. Size has a lot of value and was probably the first thing we noticed about these players.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Isles Junkie

not that i'm surprised at all. But I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM and they were doing a rundown of the draft.

They had an interview with Yakupov & Tambellini. Then Murray & Howson. Then Galchenyuk & Bergevin. Then they skipped us over to talk to Reilly & Burke.

then they moved onto the trades & analysis of each. They mention all of the trades & talk a bit about each one. Then they say and Visnovsky was traded to the NY Islanders for a 2nd round pick.

I am so sick and tired of being a forgotten franchise that even the NHL Radio doesn't care enough to promote.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
What you mean is, the Isles haven't gotten gamechangers yet in their drafts except for the gimme.

But when it comes to getting NHLers of some sort, there isn't much anyone can complain about in Snow's time here, granted the Isles also have good reason to get their picks here sooner rather than later.

Also, really gotta harp on the use of the word 'bust'. A bust would indicate a kid who was considered a surefire NHLer and then absolutely didn't make it to the show for/in any extended and/or impactful capacity. It is also highly dependent upon where a kid was drafted, because it's usually a word that is only used to describe 1st rounders, predominantly high first rounders.

In no way, shape or form can Bailey be called a bust. If anything, you can simply say he's been too average for what was fans and management 'supposedly' had hoped of him.

We're still talking about a kid who has played four NHL seasons and currently ranks in the top 10 in scoring amongst ALL players from his draft year - albeit it's not even been five years since his drafting.

Nothing since 2009 can be called a bust in any capacity at this point.
Who else (besides the obvious JT, and Hamonic) have reached their "potential" since being drafted? I also didn't call anyone since 09 a bust (I said Nino "could" be one-only time will tell, but that certainly he's gotten off to a very rocky start to say the least).

Just because Bailey's top 10 in scoring from his draft-doesn't mean he's not a bust (it could be due to a relatively weak draft year outside of the cream of the crop). But only 1 forward has played games than him in the NHL from his draft (Stamkos). He has as many points on paper as Eberle-would anybody suggest that Bailey > Eberle?

I'm not saying we haven't drafted any legit NHLers. Hamonic was obviously a great pick in 20/20, and Okposo's pick was was good as well.

The term "bust" doesn't really have a concrete meaning when it comes to hockey/sports in general. I think a bust is somebody who either A) doesn't ever become a NHL regular (if drafted in a high round), or B) falls significantly below expectations. Daigle is the perfect example. He was a legit NHL regular, but up a decent amount of points. But he's considered to be a "bust" because expectations.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
not that i'm surprised at all. But I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM and they were doing a rundown of the draft.

They had an interview with Yakupov & Tambellini. Then Murray & Howson. Then Galchenyuk & Bergevin. Then they skipped us over to talk to Reilly & Burke.

then they moved onto the trades & analysis of each. They mention all of the trades & talk a bit about each one. Then they say and Visnovsky was traded to the NY Islanders for a 2nd round pick.

I am so sick and tired of being a forgotten franchise that even the NHL Radio doesn't care enough to promote.

You know, i could be wrong, but i think Garth Snow has a fear of public speaking...He looked petrified at the podium when he announced GR as the Isles 1st pick.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:06 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
You know, i could be wrong, but i think Garth Snow has a fear of public speaking...He looked petrified at the podium when he announced GR as the Isles 1st pick.
He was great in the Tavares interview, but then again anyone would be. Yeah, I don't know why the Islanders pick is constantly skipped every year. Bailey, deHaan, Nino, (I think) Strome, and Nelson were all not interviewed.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
The term "bust" doesn't really have a concrete meaning when it comes to hockey/sports in general. I think a bust is somebody who either A) doesn't ever become a NHL regular (if drafted in a high round), or B) falls significantly below expectations. Daigle is the perfect example. He was a legit NHL regular, but up a decent amount of points. But he's considered to be a "bust" because expectations.
My definition above accounted for Daigle. I was ironically thinking exactly of him as I wrote it.

As for the rest of your post, what you mean is the Isles haven't gotten gamechangers yet in their drafts except for the gimme.

Sorry, but not a guy in the business is gonna call Bailey a 'bust'.

At the most, they'll say that some might have hoped for or expectd more from him.

What most will say is, the Isles didn't nurture him properly and are now living through the consequences of that. Sadly, it clearly looks like Niederreiter is being handled in the same manner. Still, SHOCKING that Niederreiter - despite an extra season of juniors after having been drafted - had a season that failed miserably in comparison to Bailey's rookie year.

Dunno where you felt the need to throw in the thought of whether anyone felt Bailey > Eberle?

At the moment, Eberle, Doughty and Pietrangelo are pretty much the three best players from that draft.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He was great in the Tavares interview, but then again anyone would be. Yeah, I don't know why the Islanders pick is constantly skipped every year. Bailey, deHaan, Nino, (I think) Strome, and Nelson were all not interviewed.
He was interviewed. I remember him saying he liked the colors.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
but we've heard him on the radio & even seen him on TV talking in 1 on 1 settings. I think he made some tuype of announcement at last years blue & white scrimmage where he thanked the fans. He was shaking like a leaf. so i understand that he might be nervous speaking infront of large groups. But i never got that impression from him when being interviewed on TV away from an audience.

I don't think he denied an interview with TSN or NHL Radio. I just don't think they bothered to talk to him.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
They spoke with Nino on the 2nd day of the draft.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:32 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Part of it is Canada's hatred of us, and the way the niche NHL networks focus on Canada.

Seriously, there is some serious bad blood toward us to this day.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Dan-o16

Draft + Visnovsky

I refrained from posting immediately after the draft, because I wanted to sit on it. Here's what I think:

- I half-expected the Reinhart pick. Like others I hoped for a trade down, but that clearly could not have happened, as he probably would have been picked at #6 (if not #5). I still have misgivings about not picking Forsberg. But time will tell. Reinhart certainly seems extremely mature for his age, and has the frame to easily add 15 pounds without slowing him down. I'm not against him starting the year on NYI, but I'm very leery of having more than one rookie on D, and I think De Haan is set to win that spot.

- I'm tentatively happy about the Visnovsky trade. I'm not worried about him not reporting. Yeah, LI is *not* California. But if he's into his family, and education there are obviously far worse places to be. My bigger worries are (i) he's as similar a player to Streit as one can find in the NHL, and we only have one physical D-man to go around, and (ii) given his track record, there's about a 50% shot he misses 20+ games.

- I have no problems with the Pokka and Pelech picks. Pokka has the same kind of profile as Reinhart (just smaller). Maybe they had to throw their European scout a bone. My guess is that they were shocked Pelech was still around, and felt they had no choice.

- I'm really puzzled by the Leduc and Somerby picks. Especially the Leduc pick. I mean, if you're going to draft a big project D-man, the NCAA is a good route, because you get to see a lot before you have to make a decision on a contract. Why both? Just doesn't make sense. And what's the point of drafting more large d-men with low chances of turning out? I don't get it.

- The Jesse Graham pick, OTOH, is fine. At the very worst, he's an organizational replacement for Katic. His project is gaining weight, not learning how to play.

- I'm not even going to waste time on a #7 pick, but I'm a little disappointed that we didn't select a goaltender.

We still need to add significantly on the back end for the short term. Between MacDonald and Visnovsky, we can be certain of 30 games lost between them. The RW situation continues to be an absolute mess. God knows how these get solved.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
My definition above accounted for Daigle. I was ironically thinking exactly of him as I wrote it.

As for the rest of your post, what you mean is the Isles haven't gotten gamechangers yet in their drafts except for the gimme.

At the most, they'll say that some might have hoped for or expectd more from him.

What most will say is, the Isles didn't nurture him properly and are now living through the consequences of that. Sadly, it clearly looks like Niederreiter is being handled in the same manner. Still, SHOCKING that Niederreiter - despite an extra season of juniors after having been drafted - had a season that failed miserably in comparison to Bailey's rookie year.

Dunno where you felt the need to throw in the thought of whether anyone felt Bailey > Eberle?

At the moment, Eberle, Doughty and Pietrangelo are pretty much the three best players from that draft.
You forgot the 1st overall.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:

steven stamkos says hi...

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Moosie

I about fell out of my chair when Pierre McGure said our defense is solid.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
but we've heard him on the radio & even seen him on TV talking in 1 on 1 settings. I think he made some tuype of announcement at last years blue & white scrimmage where he thanked the fans. He was shaking like a leaf. so i understand that he might be nervous speaking infront of large groups. But i never got that impression from him when being interviewed on TV away from an audience.

I don't think he denied an interview with TSN or NHL Radio. I just don't think they bothered to talk to him.
I was there for the blue and white scrimmage, and Snow was horrendous, as you said, he was shaking like a leaf. He has the worst public speaking presence I've ever seen.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I was there for the blue and white scrimmage, and Snow was horrendous, as you said, he was shaking like a leaf. He has the worst public speaking presence I've ever seen.
I agree. I was shocked how he fumbled with his speech. Plus I think he had index cards in his hands.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
You forgot the 1st overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
steven stamkos says hi...
Oiiiiii, naturally.

He was obvious, I meant like "Aside from superstar Stamkos, the three best were..."

Ugggg...

Old
06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
crashthenet

Quote:

You have to take a little heat for the above. Norris Trophy winner?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Part of it is Canada's hatred of us, and the way the niche NHL networks focus on Canada.

Seriously, there is some serious bad blood toward us to this day.
For what it's worth, I was at a wedding this weekend and some big-time Oiler fans from Edmonton were there.

When I stated my affinity for the Isles, they said "Man, we hear nothing about them. I can't believe how HUGE Tavares was in juniors, and now I know nothing about him. I can't even tell you if he scored 25 goals this year. It's like he fell off the edge of the world once he arrived in NY."

Old
06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
You have to take a little heat for the above. Norris Trophy winner?
Argggggg, Karlsson as well.

OK, I've gotta look at that draft again.... This is what you get when you're working and typing things right off the top of your head knowing there are deadlines to be met...

Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Fantom

Quote:
For what it's worth, I was at a wedding this weekend and some big-time Oiler fans from Edmonton were there.

When I stated my affinity for the Isles, they said "Man, we hear nothing about them. I can't believe how HUGE Tavares was in juniors, and now I know nothing about him. I can't even tell you if he scored 25 goals this year. It's like he fell off the edge of the world once he arrived in NY."
yea i hear things like that from other fans as well. I guess its the same thing for us though. there are guys in the west who are sick players but you do not hear much about them.
Most of the fans who reside on the east coast know who he is and how he does.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I refrained from posting immediately after the draft, because I wanted to sit on it. Here's what I think:

- I half-expected the Reinhart pick. Like others I hoped for a trade down, but that clearly could not have happened, as he probably would have been picked at #6 (if not #5). I still have misgivings about not picking Forsberg. But time will tell. Reinhart certainly seems extremely mature for his age, and has the frame to easily add 15 pounds without slowing him down. I'm not against him starting the year on NYI, but I'm very leery of having more than one rookie on D, and I think De Haan is set to win that spot.

- I'm tentatively happy about the Visnovsky trade. I'm not worried about him not reporting. Yeah, LI is *not* California. But if he's into his family, and education there are obviously far worse places to be. My bigger worries are (i) he's as similar a player to Streit as one can find in the NHL, and we only have one physical D-man to go around, and (ii) given his track record, there's about a 50% shot he misses 20+ games.

- I have no problems with the Pokka and Pelech picks. Pokka has the same kind of profile as Reinhart (just smaller). Maybe they had to throw their European scout a bone. My guess is that they were shocked Pelech was still around, and felt they had no choice.

- I'm really puzzled by the Leduc and Somerby picks. Especially the Leduc pick. I mean, if you're going to draft a big project D-man, the NCAA is a good route, because you get to see a lot before you have to make a decision on a contract. Why both? Just doesn't make sense. And what's the point of drafting more large d-men with low chances of turning out? I don't get it.

- The Jesse Graham pick, OTOH, is fine. At the very worst, he's an organizational replacement for Katic. His project is gaining weight, not learning how to play.

- I'm not even going to waste time on a #7 pick, but I'm a little disappointed that we didn't select a goaltender.

We still need to add significantly on the back end for the short term. Between MacDonald and Visnovsky, we can be certain of 30 games lost between them. The RW situation continues to be an absolute mess. God knows how these get solved.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Very well written Dan-o, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I was somewhat disappointed with the Pokka pick though, with Finn and Thrower still on the board. Many people had Finn going in the first round, and Thrower gives you everything Pokka does, but with better skating, better offensive ability, and meaness (and leadership). I will give credit to Pokka though, he's playing against men. When he played against players closer to his age, he did quite well, tied for 6th in defensemen scoring as a 17 year old in the WJHC, and 3rd at the WU18's. What worries me about him is despite being smallish, he's not a good skater.

The more I saw Forsberg highlights, the more I wanted him. Could be something we will be crying about in a few years (along with 10 other teams). That being said, Reinhart is a very good pick. He is what we need, and he adds on what the Isles did last year by picking large, talented defensemen (though Mayfield and Pedan have mean streaks, as opposed to Reinhart). Reinhart is a notch above Mayfield and Pedan talent wise, and it'll be nice seeing those big talented guys back there on defense in a few years with the samller offensive guys (Donovan, De Haan, Ness, etc).

I agree with you about the Leduc and Somerby picks. Though I like the size of these guys, they are both huge projects who may never see a day in the NHL. Leduc is a 6'6" tough guy wanna be who gets his head handed to him in EVERY fight. Nothing worse than drafting a goon who's terrible at being a goon. I immediately went to youtube after we drafted him, because I had no idea who he was (was not rated in most top 210's), and saw how many fights were posted of his. I thought, ok, he's a goon and fighter, something we really don't have. I proceeded to watch him get destroyed in every fight. There was a ton of guys still available that will someday play in the NHL, and had way more talent than Leduc and were drafted in the 4th round. If Snow would have grabbed Zlobin at that spot (or the the 5th, 6th, or 7th round), I bet it wouldn't have left people scratching their heads. Mark my words, Leduc will go down as one of our worst draft picks ever along with Clark, Dehart and Rosen in 2010. Not thrilled with the Somerby pick, but once you get to the 5th round, it doesn't really matter.

Graham and Bischoff, I would have rather they used one of these spots on Zlobin or Slepyshev (undrafted, but talented). I will say Graham and Bischoff are at least talented as opposed to Leduc.

Overall I'd give our draft a C-.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:48 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Very well written Dan-o, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I was somewhat disappointed with the Pokka pick though, with Finn and Thrower still on the board. Many people had Finn going in the first round, and Thrower gives you everything Pokka does, but with better skating, better offensive ability, and meaness (and leadership). I will give credit to Pokka though, he's playing against men. When he played against players closer to his age, he did quite well, tied for 6th in defensemen scoring as a 17 year old in the WJHC, and 3rd at the WU18's. What worries me about him is despite being smallish, he's not a good skater.

The more I saw Forsberg highlights, the more I wanted him. Could be something we will be crying about in a few years (along with 10 other teams). That being said, Reinhart is a very good pick. He is what we need, and he adds on what the Isles did last year by picking large, talented defensemen (though Mayfield and Pedan have mean streaks, as opposed to Reinhart). Reinhart is a notch above Mayfield and Pedan talent wise, and it'll be nice seeing those big talented guys back there on defense in a few years with the samller offensive guys (Donovan, De Haan, Ness, etc).

I agree with you about the Leduc and Somerby picks. Though I like the size of these guys, they are both huge projects who may never see a day in the NHL. Leduc is a 6'6" tough guy wanna be who gets his head handed to him in EVERY fight. Nothing worse than drafting a goon who's terrible at being a goon. I immediately went to youtube after we drafted him, because I had no idea who he was (was not rated in most top 210's), and saw how many fights were posted of his. I thought, ok, he's a goon and fighter, something we really don't have. I proceeded to watch him get destroyed in every fight. There was a ton of guys still available that will someday play in the NHL, and had way more talent than Leduc and were drafted in the 4th round. If Snow would have grabbed Zlobin at that spot (or the the 5th, 6th, or 7th round), I bet it wouldn't have left people scratching their heads. Mark my words, Leduc will go down as one of our worst draft picks ever along with Clark, Dehart and Rosen in 2010. Not thrilled with the Somerby pick, but once you get to the 5th round, it doesn't really matter.

Graham and Bischoff, I would have rather they used one of these spots on Zlobin or Slepyshev (undrafted, but talented). I will say Graham and Bischoff are at least talented as opposed to Leduc.

Like others, I'm disappointed that Forsberg wasn't picked, but I am growing increasingly more positive about the Reinhart pick. I do hope he develops into a stud for us.

As for the Leduc selection, he's a 4th rounder. While I don't agree or understand the pick either, chances are slim that he or any other 4th rounder is going to have any sort of impact in the NHL. Seriously, I'm failing to grasp the amount of venom this pick is getting. Even if he flops, it's the development of Reinhart, Pokka, and Pelech that is going to determine how good or bad this draft was. The team took a chance on a project, nothing more or nothing less.

Being a fan of this team, we have more important things to focus our attention on than taking a flier on a project in the 4th round.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Like others, I'm disappointed that Forsberg wasn't picked, but I am growing increasingly more positive about the Reinhart pick. I do hope he develops into a stud for us.

As for the Leduc selection, he's a 4th rounder. While I don't agree or understand the pick either, chances are slim that he or any other 4th rounder is going to have any sort of impact in the NHL. Seriously, I'm failing to grasp the amount of venom this pick is getting. Even if he flops, it's the development of Reinhart, Pokka, and Pelech that is going to determine how good or bad this draft was. The team took a chance on a project, nothing more or nothing less.

Being a fan of this team, we have more important things to focus our attention on than taking a flier on a project in the 4th round.
You make some good points PW Junior. BUT, with center Gemel Smith (rated anywhere from 37 to 50 on all boards) defenseman Brett Kulak (rated top 60), center Andreas Athanasiou (rated top 40, picked by Detroit of course), center Zach Stepan (rated top 60) large defenseman Mikko Vainanen (11th rated Euro), large defenseman Calle Anderson (15th Euro, top 70 Hockey News, Ranger's pick) and LW Nicholai Prokhorkin (9th Euro) still on the board, you DON'T pick the 209th and 2nd to last rated Central Scouting player. Major reach, major mess up, and unless Luduc suddenly becomes Zdeno Chara, a HUGE waste, when major talent was still there.

I haven't even mentioned the top talent still availabe in the 5th round. The second day is when you find your productive secondary players. And sometimes you find stars, but if they are lacking talent like Leduc, you lessen the chance of having a successful draft.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
MichaelK

Quote:

You realize you are calling as our worst picks ever third rounders and lower and there are many drafts where you are lucky if one or two per round (in the whole NHL) drafted in those rounds have productive NHL careers. Guys like Andrew MacDonald are the exception, not the rule. If we want to talk about our worst picks ever let's talk about first rounders like Michael Rupp who never signed with us or Brett Lindros the walking concussion. I was not partial to Leduc but other than that I really do not have an issue where we drafted specific players. While many had Finn and Thrower ranked higher than Pokka I believe Bob MacKenzie had Pokka in his top 4 or 5 BPA after the 1st Round. Grahame, from what I have read, actually could prove to be more like MacDonald and less like DeHart. All in all I fail to see how this is a C- draft. While I thought Forsberg was the best forward remaining when the Islanders picked, watching Dumba stone him repeatedly and the fact that for all of his talents he was not playing against the best competition he could, I could definitely see why the Islanders had a number of Defensemen as the best players available at #4. At least we were not the Vancouver Canucks who spent a 2nd Round pick on a guy who was not even ranked by Central Scouting (at least Leduc was ranked) and is already 20 years old and had done nothing in the QMJHL until this past season

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote