HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XVI - Licence to Save (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
AlmightyPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It's my opinion. I apologize for stating it like it was a fact. I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.
To be fair though I also said that Gillis doesn't have the option of going with two goalies. What I'm argiung against is people claiming that Burke has all of the leverage here. I've always claimed that neither side has all of the leverage and any deal will be fair.
To me it seems like you were arguing Burke doesn't actually want to go with Reimer/Scrivens so his only option is Luongo.

I agree going with Reimer and Scrivens is risky, but don't agree that Burke is thinking "Luongo or nothing". If he has not picked up a goalie in FA (Hedberg/Ellis) to share time with Reimer (or even back-up), then it means he is either looking for a trade or is comfortable going with the two.

If what was said is true, and Luongo has limited the trade to Florida, Gillis has lost all leverage. If it is not true we are back at square one, waiting to see which team blinks first.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
No this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epoh3...eature=related

Old
06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
To me it seems like you were arguing Burke doesn't actually want to go with Reimer/Scrivens so his only option is Luongo.

I agree going with Reimer and Scrivens is risky, but don't agree that Burke is thinking "Luongo or nothing". If he has not picked up a goalie in FA (Hedberg/Ellis) to share time with Reimer (or even back-up), then it means he is either looking for a trade or is comfortable going with the two.

If what was said is true, and Luongo has limited the trade to Florida, Gillis has lost all leverage. If it is not true we are back at square one, waiting to see which team blinks first.
Just my opinion but I don't see the status quo as a realistic option. I could see picking up a vet as an option but more and more I think that Burke doesn't see that as a solution. I think that he wants Luongo but wants a better price and that is why he hasn't moved on one of the other options that he passed on. I don't believe that Luongo has limited his options to Florida. To me, McKenzie's summary makes the most logical sense.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Numbers

Quote:
But hold on how many transformer movies have there been...3?

Doesn't Optimus win in each?

From my count Leafs have lost for 7 straight years.......please correct me if Im wrong here.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Just my opinion but I don't see the status quo as a realistic option. I could see picking up a vet as an option but more and more I think that Burke doesn't see that as a solution. I think that he wants Luongo but wants a better price and that is why he hasn't moved on one of the other options that he passed on. I don't believe that Luongo has limited his options to Florida. To me, McKenzie's summary makes the most logical sense.
I agree with this. However if I were Burke I would be telling Gillis that on July 1st, Toronto is no longer a destination for Luongo and going out and getting a vet to go alongside Reimer next year. The status quo is too risky in my opinion, but it is realistic, as that is what I think Burke is going to end up doing.

As to what Burke is actually thinking, who knows, but you could be right, and he may be prepared to wait the whole summer.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

From my count Leafs have lost for 7 straight years.......please correct me if Im wrong here.
However, although at first the Transformers series looked like it might be good, in the end it was completely awful. And for some reason they're pressing on with another one, because they never learn to just move on.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
However, although at first the Transformers series looked like it might be good, in the end it was completely awful. And for some reason they're pressing on with another one, because they never learn to just move on.
Hmmmm that reminds me of something......can't quite put my finger on it.

Wait! Wait I know! Thats a great analogy about the Leafs goaltending situation

Old
AlmightyPO

Quote:

Please correct me if I am wrong but the Canuck's technically have 'lost' 7 straight years as well, as there is only one winner per year.

You Canuck fans are reaching a new low. Transformer references?

Old
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I'd rather start with James Reimer or Ben Scrivens over Mathieu Garon anyway.
One good thing about Garon is that he's only got this one year left on his contract. Another good thing is that before his injury last season, he was actually playing very well. Ideal? Of course not. But he'll do splitting time with Lindback and mentoring him. They're both aware of that situation going into it.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
When Schenn was traded to Philly, didn't that take TO out of the Luongo 'sweepstakes'? Him going back to Florida seems inevitable now. He never wanted to leave. He just wanted to get PAID. Cheers.

TOML
My understanding is he had actually agreed to terms with Florida and the trade came as a total shock to him. He thought he was staying.

Old
Numbers

Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong but the Canuck's technically have 'lost' 7 straight years as well, as there is only one winner per year.

You Canuck fans are reaching a new low. Transformer references?
Actually you sent me the video referencing transformers first?

Old
Intense Rage

vCash: 50
Quote:
Do you honestly think that Burke will make that offer. Schneider is a great young talent but he's not Carey Price, Rinne or Lundqvist. We can argue extemely unlikely scenarios all day. Acquiring Scneider through the offer sheet route is as likely as trading for Price or Quick. We have one single example of a 'succesful' offer sheet. Anyways, I think we're arguing in circles here.
You are right and I agree with your post that neither team will have any particularly significant leverage. The only issue I disagree with you on is that the Leafs don't have any options, sure they may not be as good as Luongo but considering Luongo's situation, they have to look at alternatives in case Luongo is not interested in Toronto like the most recent rumour has mentioned.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
HawkeyLife07

why are people saying this @strombone1 guy is Luongo?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Actually you sent me the video referencing transformers first?
My bad, I always forget how easily you guys get confused. Just so you guys know that video has nothing to do with the movie transformers aside from a nickname! I guess all the loud noises and music confused you

Old
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife07 View Post
Beats me, the guy isn't even trying to hide that he is yanking people's chains.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Numbers

Quote:
My bad, I always forget how easily you guys get confused. Just so you guys know that video has nothing to do with the movie transformers aside from a nickname! I guess all the loud noises and music confused you
It has a transformers theme.....

whats your point?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
My understanding is he had actually agreed to terms with Florida and the trade came as a total shock to him. He thought he was staying.
Don't underestimate the powers of Mike Keenan. (When it comes to being in love with Todd Bertuzzi.)

TOML

Old
06-25-2012, 01:10 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
You are right and I agree with your post that neither team will have any particularly significant leverage. The only issue I disagree with you on is that the Leafs don't have any options, sure they may not be as good as Luongo but considering Luongo's situation, they have to look at alternatives in case Luongo is not interested in Toronto like the most recent rumour has mentioned.
Fair enough. I think we're on the same page on this.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
One of his tweets sometime last week really made me doubt the validity of the account.

It seems silly, but I just can't envision a person in Luongo's shoes saying half the stuff he does.. He almost seems to be too in the loop with internet culture..

Old
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Because it is

Old
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
SufferingCatFan

None of us know the facts. But, we do know that Lou lives in Florida in the off season and, according to him, was taken by surprise when he was traded 6 years ago. We also know that he has a NTC. It is fair to assume that he did not like being benched and probably wants what is best for him and his family as opposed to the Nucks.

I believe that it is fair to say that Gillis is now between a rock and a hard place. Presumably, he has a handshake deal in place with Schneider, but would lose all his leverage if he resigned him prior to trading Lou. Gillis problem is that No one bit on his asking price and that the Leafs and the Hawks may move onto other targets once free agency opens on July 1. Add to that the rumor that Lou will only waive for Florida, which was presumably leaked by Lou's camp likely his agent.

It may get really ugly if Floida strings Gillis out by expressing an interest in Lou through July 1 coupled with low ball offers like Upshall, Santorelli and Shore.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
One of his tweets sometime last week really made me doubt the validity of the account.

It seems silly, but I just can't envision a person in Luongo's shoes saying half the stuff he does.. He almost seems to be too in the loop with internet culture..
Yeah, but it'd be awfully tough to make a troll account and have David Booth, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Duco, Paul Bissonette, Pierre LeBrun, Ray Ferraro, Scott Cullen to all follow you in the process...

Old
06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
None of us know the facts. But, we do know that Lou lives in Florida in the off season and, according to him, was taken by surprise when he was traded 6 years ago. We also know that he has a NTC. It is fair to assume that he did not like being benched and probably wants what is best for him and his family as opposed to the Nucks.

I believe that it is fair to say that Gillis is now between a rock and a hard place. Presumably, he has a handshake deal in place with Schneider, but would lose all his leverage if he resigned him prior to trading Lou. Gillis problem is that No one bit on his asking price and that the Leafs and the Hawks may move onto other targets once free agency opens on July 1. Add to that the rumor that Lou will only waive for Florida, which was presumably leaked by Lou's camp likely his agent.

It may get really ugly if Floida strings Gillis out by expressing an interest in Lou through July 1 coupled with low ball offers like Upshall, Santorelli and Shore.
I doubt Hawks are in on Luongo seriously, but what other targets are there? Gustavsson's rights were traded and he is a UFA/sucks. Goes to show how weak the goalie market is this year.....

Old
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post

A lot of conjecture in your post including accepting one rumour that Luongo will only go to Florida.. I see Gillis as being in the same position as he was before the weekend. He has the best goalie on the market and a few teams would be significantly improved by acquiring Luongo. He should sit tight and let GM's get more desperate.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Yeah, but it'd be awfully tough to make a troll account and have David Booth, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Duco, Paul Bissonette, Pierre LeBrun, Ray Ferraro, Scott Cullen to all follow you in the process...
Thats a good point you make. I was just looking at the list of followers and there were quite a few big name analysts and players following this account. It seems odd that the Canucks organization would let Luongo talk this way if it actually is his account.

Closed Thread