HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XVI - Licence to Save (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
  #76
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It's my opinion. I apologize for stating it like it was a fact. I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.
To be fair though I also said that Gillis doesn't have the option of going with two goalies. What I'm argiung against is people claiming that Burke has all of the leverage here. I've always claimed that neither side has all of the leverage and any deal will be fair.
To me it seems like you were arguing Burke doesn't actually want to go with Reimer/Scrivens so his only option is Luongo.

I agree going with Reimer and Scrivens is risky, but don't agree that Burke is thinking "Luongo or nothing". If he has not picked up a goalie in FA (Hedberg/Ellis) to share time with Reimer (or even back-up), then it means he is either looking for a trade or is comfortable going with the two.

If what was said is true, and Luongo has limited the trade to Florida, Gillis has lost all leverage. If it is not true we are back at square one, waiting to see which team blinks first.

AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
  #77
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
No this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epoh3...eature=related

AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
  #78
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
To me it seems like you were arguing Burke doesn't actually want to go with Reimer/Scrivens so his only option is Luongo.

I agree going with Reimer and Scrivens is risky, but don't agree that Burke is thinking "Luongo or nothing". If he has not picked up a goalie in FA (Hedberg/Ellis) to share time with Reimer (or even back-up), then it means he is either looking for a trade or is comfortable going with the two.

If what was said is true, and Luongo has limited the trade to Florida, Gillis has lost all leverage. If it is not true we are back at square one, waiting to see which team blinks first.
Just my opinion but I don't see the status quo as a realistic option. I could see picking up a vet as an option but more and more I think that Burke doesn't see that as a solution. I think that he wants Luongo but wants a better price and that is why he hasn't moved on one of the other options that he passed on. I don't believe that Luongo has limited his options to Florida. To me, McKenzie's summary makes the most logical sense.

vanwest is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
  #79
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
But hold on how many transformer movies have there been...3?

Doesn't Optimus win in each?

From my count Leafs have lost for 7 straight years.......please correct me if Im wrong here.

Numbers is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  #80
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Just my opinion but I don't see the status quo as a realistic option. I could see picking up a vet as an option but more and more I think that Burke doesn't see that as a solution. I think that he wants Luongo but wants a better price and that is why he hasn't moved on one of the other options that he passed on. I don't believe that Luongo has limited his options to Florida. To me, McKenzie's summary makes the most logical sense.
I agree with this. However if I were Burke I would be telling Gillis that on July 1st, Toronto is no longer a destination for Luongo and going out and getting a vet to go alongside Reimer next year. The status quo is too risky in my opinion, but it is realistic, as that is what I think Burke is going to end up doing.

As to what Burke is actually thinking, who knows, but you could be right, and he may be prepared to wait the whole summer.

AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
  #81
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,445
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
But hold on how many transformer movies have there been...3?

Doesn't Optimus win in each?

From my count Leafs have lost for 7 straight years.......please correct me if Im wrong here.
However, although at first the Transformers series looked like it might be good, in the end it was completely awful. And for some reason they're pressing on with another one, because they never learn to just move on.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
  #82
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
However, although at first the Transformers series looked like it might be good, in the end it was completely awful. And for some reason they're pressing on with another one, because they never learn to just move on.
Hmmmm that reminds me of something......can't quite put my finger on it.

Wait! Wait I know! Thats a great analogy about the Leafs goaltending situation

Numbers is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
  #83
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
But hold on how many transformer movies have there been...3?

Doesn't Optimus win in each?

From my count Leafs have lost for 7 straight years.......please correct me if Im wrong here.
Please correct me if I am wrong but the Canuck's technically have 'lost' 7 straight years as well, as there is only one winner per year.

You Canuck fans are reaching a new low. Transformer references?

AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
  #84
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I'd rather start with James Reimer or Ben Scrivens over Mathieu Garon anyway.
One good thing about Garon is that he's only got this one year left on his contract. Another good thing is that before his injury last season, he was actually playing very well. Ideal? Of course not. But he'll do splitting time with Lindback and mentoring him. They're both aware of that situation going into it.

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
  #85
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
When Schenn was traded to Philly, didn't that take TO out of the Luongo 'sweepstakes'? Him going back to Florida seems inevitable now. He never wanted to leave. He just wanted to get PAID. Cheers.


TOML
My understanding is he had actually agreed to terms with Florida and the trade came as a total shock to him. He thought he was staying.

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
  #86
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong but the Canuck's technically have 'lost' 7 straight years as well, as there is only one winner per year.

You Canuck fans are reaching a new low. Transformer references?
Actually you sent me the video referencing transformers first?

Numbers is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
  #87
Intense Rage
Registered User
 
Intense Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Do you honestly think that Burke will make that offer. Schneider is a great young talent but he's not Carey Price, Rinne or Lundqvist. We can argue extemely unlikely scenarios all day. Acquiring Scneider through the offer sheet route is as likely as trading for Price or Quick. We have one single example of a 'succesful' offer sheet. Anyways, I think we're arguing in circles here.
You are right and I agree with your post that neither team will have any particularly significant leverage. The only issue I disagree with you on is that the Leafs don't have any options, sure they may not be as good as Luongo but considering Luongo's situation, they have to look at alternatives in case Luongo is not interested in Toronto like the most recent rumour has mentioned.

Intense Rage is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
  #88
HawkeyLife07
Registered User
 
HawkeyLife07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
why are people saying this @strombone1 guy is Luongo?

HawkeyLife07 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
  #89
AlmightyPO
Registered User
 
AlmightyPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Actually you sent me the video referencing transformers first?
My bad, I always forget how easily you guys get confused. Just so you guys know that video has nothing to do with the movie transformers aside from a nickname! I guess all the loud noises and music confused you

AlmightyPO is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
  #90
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife07 View Post
why are people saying this @strombone1 guy is Luongo?
Beats me, the guy isn't even trying to hide that he is yanking people's chains.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
  #91
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
My bad, I always forget how easily you guys get confused. Just so you guys know that video has nothing to do with the movie transformers aside from a nickname! I guess all the loud noises and music confused you
It has a transformers theme.....

whats your point?

Numbers is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
  #92
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
My understanding is he had actually agreed to terms with Florida and the trade came as a total shock to him. He thought he was staying.
Don't underestimate the powers of Mike Keenan. (When it comes to being in love with Todd Bertuzzi.)


TOML

TOML is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:10 PM
  #93
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
You are right and I agree with your post that neither team will have any particularly significant leverage. The only issue I disagree with you on is that the Leafs don't have any options, sure they may not be as good as Luongo but considering Luongo's situation, they have to look at alternatives in case Luongo is not interested in Toronto like the most recent rumour has mentioned.
Fair enough. I think we're on the same page on this.

vanwest is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
  #94
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife07 View Post
why are people saying this @strombone1 guy is Luongo?
One of his tweets sometime last week really made me doubt the validity of the account.

It seems silly, but I just can't envision a person in Luongo's shoes saying half the stuff he does.. He almost seems to be too in the loop with internet culture..

Jerkini is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
  #95
Slapshot_11
Registered User
 
Slapshot_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife07 View Post
why are people saying this @strombone1 guy is Luongo?
Because it is

Slapshot_11 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
  #96
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
None of us know the facts. But, we do know that Lou lives in Florida in the off season and, according to him, was taken by surprise when he was traded 6 years ago. We also know that he has a NTC. It is fair to assume that he did not like being benched and probably wants what is best for him and his family as opposed to the Nucks.

I believe that it is fair to say that Gillis is now between a rock and a hard place. Presumably, he has a handshake deal in place with Schneider, but would lose all his leverage if he resigned him prior to trading Lou. Gillis problem is that No one bit on his asking price and that the Leafs and the Hawks may move onto other targets once free agency opens on July 1. Add to that the rumor that Lou will only waive for Florida, which was presumably leaked by Lou's camp likely his agent.

It may get really ugly if Floida strings Gillis out by expressing an interest in Lou through July 1 coupled with low ball offers like Upshall, Santorelli and Shore.

SufferingCatFan is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:19 PM
  #97
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
One of his tweets sometime last week really made me doubt the validity of the account.

It seems silly, but I just can't envision a person in Luongo's shoes saying half the stuff he does.. He almost seems to be too in the loop with internet culture..
Yeah, but it'd be awfully tough to make a troll account and have David Booth, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Duco, Paul Bissonette, Pierre LeBrun, Ray Ferraro, Scott Cullen to all follow you in the process...

Skead is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  #98
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
None of us know the facts. But, we do know that Lou lives in Florida in the off season and, according to him, was taken by surprise when he was traded 6 years ago. We also know that he has a NTC. It is fair to assume that he did not like being benched and probably wants what is best for him and his family as opposed to the Nucks.

I believe that it is fair to say that Gillis is now between a rock and a hard place. Presumably, he has a handshake deal in place with Schneider, but would lose all his leverage if he resigned him prior to trading Lou. Gillis problem is that No one bit on his asking price and that the Leafs and the Hawks may move onto other targets once free agency opens on July 1. Add to that the rumor that Lou will only waive for Florida, which was presumably leaked by Lou's camp likely his agent.

It may get really ugly if Floida strings Gillis out by expressing an interest in Lou through July 1 coupled with low ball offers like Upshall, Santorelli and Shore.
I doubt Hawks are in on Luongo seriously, but what other targets are there? Gustavsson's rights were traded and he is a UFA/sucks. Goes to show how weak the goalie market is this year.....

Numbers is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
  #99
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
None of us know the facts. But, we do know that Lou lives in Florida in the off season and, according to him, was taken by surprise when he was traded 6 years ago. We also know that he has a NTC. It is fair to assume that he did not like being benched and probably wants what is best for him and his family as opposed to the Nucks.

I believe that it is fair to say that Gillis is now between a rock and a hard place. Presumably, he has a handshake deal in place with Schneider, but would lose all his leverage if he resigned him prior to trading Lou. Gillis problem is that No one bit on his asking price and that the Leafs and the Hawks may move onto other targets once free agency opens on July 1. Add to that the rumor that Lou will only waive for Florida, which was presumably leaked by Lou's camp likely his agent.

It may get really ugly if Floida strings Gillis out by expressing an interest in Lou through July 1 coupled with low ball offers like Upshall, Santorelli and Shore.
A lot of conjecture in your post including accepting one rumour that Luongo will only go to Florida.. I see Gillis as being in the same position as he was before the weekend. He has the best goalie on the market and a few teams would be significantly improved by acquiring Luongo. He should sit tight and let GM's get more desperate.

vanwest is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
  #100
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Yeah, but it'd be awfully tough to make a troll account and have David Booth, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Duco, Paul Bissonette, Pierre LeBrun, Ray Ferraro, Scott Cullen to all follow you in the process...
Thats a good point you make. I was just looking at the list of followers and there were quite a few big name analysts and players following this account. It seems odd that the Canucks organization would let Luongo talk this way if it actually is his account.

Numbers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.