HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part X: Bobby, we're better than Philly!

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 12:43 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
How stupid can an organization be? That's a ton of value. Although it might be smart since Columbus can't develop players worth **** and need to draft that high to get someone worth while.

Those prospects could have turned around and gotten them NHL talent or if developed well, a team worth having.

WE think Sather is bad at what he does. I'll take the fact that he might overpay a 4th liner here or there if it means we don't have a dumb ass like this running the team.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
NikC

The FA options are paltry with Parise and Semin being the only legit top scorers available. Semin is the guy to get. depending upon his contract If he doesn't work out, you can always trade him to another team we're he'll fit in better if that's the case. the guy has resale value.

the only way we acquire Nash or Ryan is with severe overpayment, and it's not going to happen. I'd love Doan or Whitney, but i doubt they're leaving PHX. what's left? No more Jagr, please that ship has sailed.

Maybe Stempniak, but definitely no to reclamation projects like Boyes.

I really wish they'd look in to Jason Garrison, he has a tremendous shot that would be excellent on the PP. He may want alot of $$

Old
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
How stupid can an organization be? That's a ton of value. Although it might be smart since Columbus can't develop players worth **** and need to draft that high to get someone worth while.

Those prospects could have turned around and gotten them NHL talent or if developed well, a team worth having.

WE think Sather is bad at what he does. I'll take the fact that he might overpay a 4th liner here or there if it means we don't have a dumb ass like this running the team.
I don't think he's bad at all, lately anyway. Sure in the past he was a bonehead but you have to give him credit for surrounding himself with a good staff and taking a step back in recent years. His whole mentality has changed for the better.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
gravey9

Between the relatively weak draft, the lack of Free Agents and really expensive trades, this is one of the worst off-seasons to improve the team I can remember in years. We need to be patient and let the kids in the organization fill some roles while also increasing their value.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Theres no way that offer happened

Old
06-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Andrew Gross‏@AGrossRecord

Today is NHL deadline for qualifying offers to RFAs. For #NYR on #NHL level, Del Zotto and Zuccarello will get QOs, Stralman will not.
Andrew Gross just tweeted this...i think we all knew that already...except i thought stralman got a qo...guess not

Old
06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
Andrew Gross just tweeted this...i think we all knew that already...except i thought stralman got a qo...guess not
Too bad, I thought Stralman did a great job last yr

Old
06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Kershaw

Yikes another glaring hole on the right side.

All I ask is why?!!

Old
06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Too bad, I thought Stralman did a great job last yr
yeah i was hoping he'd come back, but his family really wanted him back in sweden so i am not too surprised by the nyr organization letting him go

Old
06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
yeah i was hoping he'd come back, but his family really wanted him back in sweden so i am not too surprised by the nyr organization letting him go
From what I know this is total bs, thre I something else amass here...

Old
06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Vitto79

Well that blows on Stralman. I thought that even if he bolted for Sweden they would still maintain his rights as a RFA.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im in agreement, at least for this off-season.

Im still trying to decide if the absurd amount of venom directed towards Howson on this board can be attributed to people just thinking hes an idiot, or frustration that hes the roadblock for the Rangers acquiring an "elite" (personally, I use this term loosely) talent like Nash. I guess its both.

But as far as Im concerned, the best thing that could currently happen is Howson refuses to come down on his price and the Rangers get to keep assets and avoid an albatross of a contract.

Kick the tires on Whitney and Jagr. You might be able to get both players for just Nash's cap hit - without giving up any assets, and only for 1 year.
Yup on the first bolded.

The second bolded actually makes a lot of sense too. Much more so than it did for me just a few weeks ago. Usually I am not in favor of bringing on place holders that are as old as Jagr and Whitney....but both have shown the ability to remain effective. I think they could at least come close to repeating their numbers from this year.

Whitney is still a solid player and Jagr would be thrilled to potentially end his career as a Ranger. That's a net positive with no assets lost and giving youngsters more time to mature.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:19 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Well that blows on Stralman. I thought that even if he bolted for Sweden they would still maintain his rights as a RFA.
Yeah, there. A buried skeleton somwhere here so to speak. I will give you more info when I get it, those were the exact words (in Swedish) I got recently from an NHL scout...

Old
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Damn shame. Extremely solid player.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Old
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Damn shame. Extremely solid player.
Don't tell the Devils that

Old
06-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I believe that even if we qualified him, our hold on his rights would expire next year as he'd be 27 and would thus have UFA eligibility. I'm not 100% on that though, and even if that's the case, it could all change with the new CBA.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I believe that even if we qualified him, our hold on his rights would expire next year as he'd be 27 and would thus have UFA eligibility. I'm not 100% on that though, and even if that's the case, it could all change with the new CBA.
Even then, what's the downside?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Don't tell the Devils that
Certainly made it better that we plucked him from them.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Ryan played on the second line this year. I'd say Gaborik and Richie were better this year than Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Semin also was sheltered this year, had a lot of o-zone starts and had a piss poor statline for a player with his skill. No to Semin. Yes to Ray Whitney or Shane Doan.
Good points here. I would agree that Ryan's production would be about the same here as in Anaheim and I would also say no to Semin despite his god given skills. We need production from guys who also have some size, compete and have an edge to their game as well.
That being said, I wouldn't get my hopes up about either Doan or Whitney leaving Phoenix.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Even then, what's the downside?
Nothing that I can think of, but maybe they just didn't feel like it was worth it to file the paperwork and whatnot? If they're assured that Stralman is going back to Sweden, they might not think it's worth it.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Ryan played on the second line this year. I'd say Gaborik and Richie were better this year than Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Semin also was sheltered this year, had a lot of o-zone starts and had a piss poor statline for a player with his skill. No to Semin. Yes to Ray Whitney or Shane Doan.
Ryan played 50.8% of his ice time with Getzlaf and 47.3% with Perry.

Semin's Offensive zone start % was 51.1%.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Good points here. I would agree that Ryan's production would be about the same here as in Anaheim and I would also say no to Semin despite his god given skills. We need production from guys who also have some size, compete and have an edge to their game as well.
That being said, I wouldn't get my hopes up about either Doan or Whitney leaving Phoenix.
Regarding Whitney, he is almost certainly gone. He wants two years, Phoenix will not oblige. HE's also worried about the ownership issues.

Also, we all want a guy like that, but the reality is that there are few players like that out there. Ryan lacks the compete. Maybe he'll gain motivation here, but who knows. Any player we pick up at this point will have his flaws.

06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Theres no way that offer happened
It did.

06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Regarding Whitney, he is almost certainly gone. He wants two years, Phoenix will not oblige. HE's also worried about the ownership issues.

Also, we all want a guy like that, but the reality is that there are few players like that out there. Ryan lacks the compete. Maybe he'll gain motivation here, but who knows. Any player we pick up at this point will have his flaws.
Whitney I would definitely consider; guy can still flat out skate and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
Ryan? I like him a lot but I wouldn't want to overpay because I'm not sure about his overall game.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Whitney I would definitely consider; guy can still flat out skate and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
Ryan? I like him a lot but I wouldn't want to overpay because I'm not sure about his overall game.
Agreed on both points. Whiitney's age concerrns me a bit, but he is still highly skilled.

Closed Thread