HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pick #20 - Scott Laughton, Center, Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Old
06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Has anyone around here watched him play on a fairly regular basis? To me, he sounds a lot like Kyle Chipchura when he was drafted in 2004 at number 18. Both guys are limited offensively, but both should make at least an NHL impact on a third line. Hopefully Laughton becomes the two way force that Chip never could become.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I like Laughton's skill set and what I've read about him; however, I'd be surprised if "perfect third-line centre" was handwritten in the margin next to a team's options for a 1st round pick. Increase the surprise when a franchise has such a glaring non-forward need. Laughton with a 2nd round pick? Great choice.
This is what annoys me. Why was Laughton a 2nd round pick to you? Because the general scouting services had him listed as such? There's no guarantee Laughton would've still been around at #45, and given his performance at the World Juniors and then once he started getting top-6 minutes for Oshawa, something tells me the Flyers felt he was just starting to scratch the surface of his potential and would be selected before their second pick. If you like a player and he's at the top of your board, you take him, overall pick or perceived "value" be damned. I think the Flyers' scouting staff has earned the benefit of the doubt here.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Has anyone around here watched him play on a fairly regular basis? To me, he sounds a lot like Kyle Chipchura when he was drafted in 2004 at number 18. Both guys are limited offensively, but both should make at least an NHL impact on a third line. Hopefully Laughton becomes the two way force that Chip never could become.
I'm sure you'll find someone to offer an expert opinion and comparison of players, but there is very, very little chance that anyone who watches Laughton fairly regularly in the OHL would have also seen Chipchura fairly regularly when he played in the WHL.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This is what annoys me. Why was Laughton a 2nd round pick to you? Because the general scouting services had him listed as such? There's no guarantee Laughton would've still been around at #45, and given his performance at the World Juniors and then once he started getting top-6 minutes for Oshawa, something tells me the Flyers felt he was just starting to scratch the surface of his potential and would be selected before their second pick. If you like a player and he's at the top of your board, you take him, overall pick or perceived "value" be damned. I think the Flyers' scouting staff has earned the benefit of the doubt here.
Yeah, we're really good at selecting in the first round, especially when it comes to forwards. Now, if we could just keep them around...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He shouldn't regret making the trade for Pronger, he should regret the fact he thought his job was done after making it. It would have been worse of he didn't have to fire Stevens (which should have happened after 2009), and got outright lucky trading for Leino.
Bad trade = Holmgren sucks.
Good trade = Holmgren got lucky.

Quote:
He devalued the result of his own trade by not having a third pairing defense or a valid second/replacement goaltender should/if/when Emery went down, and all those minutes Pronger had to eat affected him for two summers and then into the concussion. He sold out for Pronger, and didn't protect the asset.
Wait, what? Are you suggesting that Pronger's concussion was somehow the result of his minutes played?

CarlRacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
No, I'm equating the term perfect third-line centre to where in the draft I believe such a player should arguably be chosen. The players I want to see picked in the 1st round have 1st/2nd line -- 1st/2nd pairing potential. I don't know Laughton's game; I've only read the scouting reports posted here. I didn't even know where he was listed by the scouting services, so that didn't factor into my post. The point I was trying to make is that if the Flyers admin are choosing a forward (point of strength) instead of a defenseman (significant point of weakness), the forward should be someone special.

If Laughton has Mike Richards written all over him, I'll read my own post with pleasure and self-deprecation in a few years when someone bumps this thread. If he becomes a strong 2-way forward who anchors the third line and complements the skilled forwards who are already on the team, I'll be satisfied, no more no less. Otherwise, I'll think the team's 1st round pick could have been much better spent.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki View Post
Bad trade = Holmgren sucks.
Good trade = Holmgren got lucky.
yeah Holmgren is the greatest GM in the history of sports.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
McNasty

As frustrating as the Flyers management can be, IMO they've earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to 1st round draft picks. They might not always make the best pick, but they're typically good at finding NHL regulars.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Who is saying that he is?

You holmgren haters are hillarious

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Hi. I'm your response.

CarlRacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Schenn10

Scott Laughton is a stone cold killer.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Enjoyed watching this. He didn't get any points, but I really liked his defensive game.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Beastieboy

I was expecting them to draft defence 1st, but this guy sounds like a supreme shutdown guy. Further down the line Couts can be #2 centre on scoring line and Laughton could be great 3rd line C. Time will tell. Just too bad he will likely be traded away on June 23, 2017.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:42 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
No, I'm equating the term perfect third-line centre to where in the draft I believe such a player should arguably be chosen. The players I want to see picked in the 1st round have 1st/2nd line -- 1st/2nd pairing potential. I don't know Laughton's game; I've only read the scouting reports posted here. I didn't even know where he was listed by the scouting services, so that didn't factor into my post. The point I was trying to make is that if the Flyers admin are choosing a forward (point of strength) instead of a defenseman (significant point of weakness), the forward should be someone special.

If Laughton has Mike Richards written all over him, I'll read my own post with pleasure and self-deprecation in a few years when someone bumps this thread. If he becomes a strong 2-way forward who anchors the third line and complements the skilled forwards who are already on the team, I'll be satisfied, no more no less. Otherwise, I'll think the team's 1st round pick could have been much better spent.
I see where you are coming from with this and I kind of agree. I'm not excited about the pick, I don't really hate it either though. Building up a point of strength isn't something to scoff at.

If this kid can turn into a solid defensive center who can chip in on offense and anchor our third line, we can go Giroux-Couturier-Laughton down the middle. That frees up a forward asset that can be used down the road, think of the possibilities.

Instead of drafting a developing a d-man (which usually takes years to do properly and the Flyers have no history of doing) they can use their position of strength (forward depth) to trade for one who is ready now. Or looking ahead a year they could let Hartnell walk and use his money while maintaining their depth.

It also helps make our lineup a little more fluid. I like Schenn but there were times last year when his line would get pinned in their own zone for long stretches (that might just be part of being linemates with Briere and Simmonds). Having Couturier and another defensively responsible center anchor our 2nd and 3rd lines while shifting Schenn and Briere to the wings might go a long way in improving our overall team defense.

Having some size and defense down the middle was a need last year. Maybe not to the extent of fixing the defense but definitely glaring. In fact I think our defensmen (and obviously Bryz although I think he deserves most of the criticism he gets for last year) take more than their share of blame for an overall lack of team defense by our forwards so he might help the defense look better too.

He's probably not going to be ready next year like Couturier but he'll probably be ready to contribute sooner than a d-man and I trust the Flyers drafting first round forwards. It's a safe pick and if he can turn into a solid 2 way center then I'll be fine with it.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I see where you are coming from with this and I kind of agree. I'm not excited about the pick, I don't really hate it either though. Building up a point of strength isn't something to scoff at.

If this kid can turn into a solid defensive center who can chip in on offense and anchor our third line, we can go Giroux-Couturier-Laughton down the middle. That frees up a forward asset that can be used down the road, think of the possibilities.

Instead of drafting a developing a d-man (which usually takes years to do properly and the Flyers have no history of doing) they can use their position of strength (forward depth) to trade for one who is ready now. Or looking ahead a year they could let Hartnell walk and use his money while maintaining their depth.

It also helps make our lineup a little more fluid. I like Schenn but there were times last year when his line would get pinned in their own zone for long stretches (that might just be part of being linemates with Briere and Simmonds). Having Couturier and another defensively responsible center anchor our 2nd and 3rd lines while shifting Schenn and Briere to the wings might go a long way in improving our overall team defense.

Having some size and defense down the middle was a need last year. Maybe not to the extent of fixing the defense but definitely glaring. In fact I think our defensmen (and obviously Bryz although I think he deserves most of the criticism he gets for last year) take more than their share of blame for an overall lack of team defense by our forwards so he might help the defense look better too.

He's probably not going to be ready next year like Couturier but he'll probably be ready to contribute sooner than a d-man and I trust the Flyers drafting first round forwards. It's a safe pick and if he can turn into a solid 2 way center then I'll be fine with it.
This. All this.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Who is saying that he is?

You holmgren haters are hillarious
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki View Post
Hi. I'm your response.

guess I should of included the smiley.
does that work for you?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Teezax

My only worry abnout this pick:
A list of his favorites.

Favourites:

NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Player: Mike Richards

Movie: The Other Guys

Band/Singer: Carrie Underwood

TV Show: Sportscentre

Colour: Red

Video Game: NHL 11

Pump Up Song: New Noise- Refused

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
A list of his favorites.

Favourites:

Wasn't there a kid we drafted last year who's favorite movie was the Wizard of Oz or something real lame like that and everyone got on his case?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
A list of his favorites.

Favourites:

Hey, maybe he's just in touch with his sensitive side.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Krishna

Seeing a few interviews with him the last few days, I'm still not sure he isn't bat**** crazy..

He just has that psycho face

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:21 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

lmao, what a perfect video

ending makes it

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:24 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post

Enjoyed watching this. He didn't get any points, but I really liked his defensive game.
Lot of Mike Richards right there.
Probably a better skater, though.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

lmao, what a perfect video

ending makes it
Should've eaten that card.
Right on that tape he should have eaten it!

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

This will be the year in which we will all find out how good offensively Laughton is. He really didn't get a chance to play on the offense until the 2nd half of the season and he really started producing once he got a chance to play.

This year, Laughton comes in as the top center in Oshawa and will be flanked by Boone Jenner and Lucas Lessio. There's no reason to believe that he can't put up a point per game on that line. After all, when he was moved to a scoring role in December, for the rest of the OHL season, he popped 41 points in 39 games. There's an untapped offensive game to Laughton's make up and I think he's really going to shine this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Doesn't depend on the draft as far as quality of 1st rd pick. It is easy to say I want a 1st/2nd line/dpair player in the first round but that is completely up to the depth in the draft. If you look at the forwards taken after Laughton (Guance, Samuelsson, Matteau, Janikowski), they all were considered 3rd line types or in the case of Janikowski, a huge question mark as far as NHL potential. There were plenty of defensemen taken after but they are a crap shoot. You are just as likely to get a top defensemen outside of the first round as you are at the end of it. People would have flipped if the Flyers drafted Tom Wilson, who might be nothing more than a fourth liner. Yet he was picked a few picks before the flyers even had a chance. That shows you the deph of this draft.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote