HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can we expect from Lars Eller this year ?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Ahh one of those types eh?

Thanks for the warning man!

Although I'm still looking forward to his laughable response to my question, if there is a response at all.
Oh, there will be one, don't worry

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
gillyguzzler

Potential to score 25. Probable to score 20. Role and wingers and coaching style and maturity and ice time and pp time and injuries and pk time and attitude...

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

First season with us, 17 pts, second season, 28 pts, I could realistically see something around 35 to 45 pts next season, if he stays on 3rd line, but I wouldn't bet for more then that, which ain't a bad thing considering his 2-way is already pretty good (let's not forget he's just 22yo...)

Old
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Craig71

It will depend on how Therrien uses him. 4th line and he gets 10 goals, give him some pp time and put him with some talented players and the guy can get 40 points.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Mike8

I'd like to see an improvement to 40 points. I think he's got it in him. In fact, I expect more in his peak.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'd like to see an improvement to 40 points. I think he's got it in him. In fact, I expect more in his peak.
Agreed, but the challenge for Eller IMO...will be getting enough quality icetime to prodice 40pts next year.

I know the coaching staff wasn't big on putting Eller in offensive situations (i.e. Power Play) but perhaps with the new coaching staff, things will change.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Agreed, but the challenge for Eller IMO...will be getting enough quality icetime to prodice 40pts next year.

I know the coaching staff wasn't big on putting Eller in offensive situations (i.e. Power Play) but perhaps with the new coaching staff, things will change.
Unless they get a high profile offensive player via trade or as a free agent, I could see Eller battling with Bourque on one of the 2 PP units. Desharnais, Cole, Pacioretty, Plekanec and Gionta are virtually locks already. I hope he gets the chance, he's got size, speed, hands, he just needs timing... I could understand why they'd put Bourque there instead though, especially if he deploys some kind of motivation, cause he got everything...

Old
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
rdubb

Im hopeful we'll see a lot of progress this year. I think people are underestimating how much last off seasons shoulder surgery probably hurt his progression. Shoulder surgery presents alot of challenges for off season workouts and not just for the upper body but lower as well (squats, deadlifts, etc.).

Im hoping if he puts in the work and adds some muscle and explosiveness, with his talent we may be pleasantly surprised this year or maybe im just too optimistic.

rdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Well assuming he gets more than ~30sec/game on the PP, 15-20g/40pts isn't unreasonable.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Point totals are often more about player usage than talent.

Unless he has a massive breakout season he won't get much above 30 ES points. That requires he has line-mates with some decent offensive skill (not even strong ones like Cole/Pacioretty just top nine guys with offense). With a little production from the penalty kill I'd say his offensive ceiling is like 30-35 non power play points.

If he gets decent powerplay time I could see 40. A lot of power play time we could go into the higher 40s to 50 but given his position in the offensive foward depth chart I doubt that happens unless there are major long-term injuries.

I believe strongly in his talent and he's one of the team's better two-way players but I doubt the team puts him in a positon to put up some gaudy offensive numbers. His value will be shown by the penalty kill and defensive situation minutes he eats, probably with a weak supporting cast like last year. He deserves a lot more respect for this, he was a monster on the penalty kill last season and pretty good in shutdown roles when he had wingers like Moen and Kostitsyn backing him up rather than AHLers like Geoffrion and Blunden. He spent long stretches of the back half of last year as the only decent player on the ice during his shifts for Montreal.

But who knows. If Desharnais goes down with an injury maybe Eller takes his role an goes on to a 50+ point year between a pair of 1st line talents. It happened to Henrique this last year.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 06-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
MXD

Improvement.
In his case, it's mandatory, because there's no way this team is gonna win whatever with him, as the 3rd C, playing like he did last season.

Not that he was bad (IMO, average as far as 3rd C's go), but on winning teams, 3rd C's must be better than he was.

Ideal linemates would be Bourque and Gionta, but Gionta might be stuck playing on the Top-6, and Bourque too as well I'm afraid, so a combo of Bourque-Gionta-UFA-Leblanc-Moen-Gallagher, in order of desirability. Please, no Blunden/Palushaj.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

There isnt much to expect if the kid plays with Bourque and Moen..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
ChoseLa

If he gets decent linemate and learn how to use them he could hit 40, but he needs to start playing serious hockey for that. I didn't see any progression or regression from his first year with us wich is neither bad nor good.

He's less of a center than Plek or DD, as he doesn't makes his linemate better, he plays solo out there. Something that can change for sure.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

I don't expect much. Maybe 35 to 40 points.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
If he gets decent linemate and learn how to use them he could hit 40, but he needs to start playing serious hockey for that. I didn't see any progression or regression from his first year with us wich is neither bad nor good.

He's less of a center than Plek or DD, as he doesn't makes his linemate better, he plays solo out there. Something that can change for sure.
Actually, he really improved from the year before. Was barely a 4th C for most of the season (and not a great one at that) and seemed to be much aware of what was happening on the ice.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Actually, he really improved from the year before. Was barely a 4th C for most of the season (and not a great one at that) and seemed to be much aware of what was happening on the ice.
Went from 17 points in a season to 16 goals in a season. Improvement? Where?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Went from 17 points in a season to 16 goals in a season. Improvement? Where?
It's not only the points and the goals.

It's more that he looked like a full-fledged NHL'er (albeit in a bottom-6 role), as opposed to a 13th forward.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

I'm a bit surprised, I thought there was many more Lars Eller enthusiasts on this board.

He will form a fantastic 1-2 punch with Galchenyuk in ~four years. Louis Leblanc will have to be moved to the wing, and Plekanec or Desharnais will get traded. Down the road, he will be a 2nd line center. Not a third liner. Here or elsewhere.

He is fantastic along the boards, and he have a nice pair of hands. He just get a bit nervous with the puck, but it seems his mind is 100% focused on hockey - just like DD. He will become a constant 20 goals, 50 points.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
LeMAD

I'm hoping for 40 pts, but I doubt it. I'm really disappointed with him so far. He has some skills, but his hockey sense is subpar, though it might simply be caused by a lack of confidence or maturity.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Deaner

Lars' summer to-do list :

1. Shoot 1000 pucks every day

I feel like his shot - everything about it, from release to accuracy to velocity - is the main thing holding him back right now. He seems to excel at getting the puck into scoring areas, but he buries so few chances. If he dedicates himself to improving that area of his game, he'll be scoring so much that the fact he can't seem to help himself from inopportune stick infractions won't cost him too much ice-time.
Although it's times like these I wish I watched l'Antichambre more and could remember what Therien's opinion of him, or others, seemed to be.

I'll err of the side of optimism - 23G, 21A.

Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

If I'm Eller, I take a long and hard too toward Gally and understand that this is the year to break through.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:22 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I'm a bit surprised, I thought there was many more Lars Eller enthusiasts on this board.

He will form a fantastic 1-2 punch with Galchenyuk in ~four years. Louis Leblanc will have to be moved to the wing, and Plekanec or Desharnais will get traded. Down the road, he will be a 2nd line center. Not a third liner. Here or elsewhere.

He is fantastic along the boards, and he have a nice pair of hands. He just get a bit nervous with the puck, but it seems his mind is 100% focused on hockey - just like DD. He will become a constant 20 goals, 50 points.
One has to wonder how good Eller will be with say Shinkaruk or Drouin as a linemate in a few years.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Lars Eller doesn't have balls?

Why? Because he doesn't fight?

Good lord.
No balls, correct.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Don't waste your time with that guy, simple suggestion.
The players I have disliked, rarely do anything in the long run, and are usually shipped out of town and forgotten. Sorry I pwned you 10 years ago, and you haven't gotten over it. I didn't realize the Lars Eller Fanboy Club was still this large, looks like I am outnumbered again.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No balls, correct.
Let's trade him for Konopka.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote