HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM interested in Hjalmarsson

Old
06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
caley

vCash: 500
If this deal happens, as a longtimer Oiler fan, I really hope it's something like the Michalek deal, that is, Hjalmarsson (whom I like!) to the Oil for middling prospect (Kyle Bigos), 3rd round pick and AHL add-on (Cameron Abney or Tanner House).

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I bet you didnt watch Smid last year if you are comparing him to Hjalmarsson ..
I have not seen much of Hjalmarsson but he would have to be a legit top pairing player to be better then Smid.

Just from his stats he seems like Gilbert v2.0 minus some offense
as a Jets van living in Vancouver...i watch a lot of Oiler games. Smid is a no.4 guy. Same as Hammer..but Hammer's simply better. Neither guy puts up points...they are both defensive...Smid hits more..but if i had to use one of them to shut down an offensive line (neither would be my first choice, but IF) then i'd def go with Hammer.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
BowDangles

If Hammer is being said to be better than Smid, than as an Oiler fan I REALLY hope we can get this guy. Even if he is comparable to Smid it would be a great pick up for the Oilers.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
If Hammer is being said to be better than Smid, than as an Oiler fan I REALLY hope we can get this guy. Even if he is comparable to Smid it would be a great pick up for the Oilers.
Anyone who claims that Hjalmarsson is better than Smid can't tell **** from good chocolate. This fella is lost when it comes to analyzing a defensive game.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:28 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
I bet you didnt watch Smid last year if you are comparing him to Hjalmarsson ..
I have not seen much of Hjalmarsson but he would have to be a legit top pairing player to be better then Smid.

Just from his stats he seems like Gilbert v2.0 minus some offense
Hjalmarsson had less then 50 hits in the 2011-12 and 2010-11 and Smid was in the top 20 hits and top 10 for blocked shots. Hjalmarsson is a softer version of Gilbert, even Gilbert out hit him and that was Gilbert's big fault in Edmonton.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Hjalmarsson had less then 50 hits in the 2011-12 and 2010-11 and Smid was in the top 20 hits and top 10 for blocked shots. Hjalmarsson is a softer version of Gilbert, even Gilbert out hit him and that was Gilbert's big fault in Edmonton.
I take it you have never watched Hammer play at all. It seems that all you are going by in a stat sheet. Hammer is slightly better D-man then Smid, D is a lot more then just stats. Hammer is a far better skater and a better positional D-man. Hammer plays like a lot of Swedish D men and that based off strong skating position and decision making.

Are you also going to say that Smid is better at D then Lidstrom (and just so you know I am not saying Hammer is Lidstrom level at D)? The two stats you keep bring up to say Smid is better then Hammer would then also mean he should be much better then Lids as well. Thing is that Hammer and Smid play a completely different style of D which is why you can't just look at hits and blocked shots.

Happyhary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
If this deal happens, as a longtimer Oiler fan, I really hope it's something like the Michalek deal, that is, Hjalmarsson (whom I like!) to the Oil for middling prospect (Kyle Bigos), 3rd round pick and AHL add-on (Cameron Abney or Tanner House).
You guys are dealing with Bowman. You aren't getting hosed.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhary9 View Post
I take it you have never watched Hammer play at all. It seems that all you are going by in a stat sheet. Hammer is slightly better D-man then Smid, D is a lot more then just stats. Hammer is a far better skater and a better positional D-man. Hammer plays like a lot of Swedish D men and that based off strong skating position and decision making.

Are you also going to say that Smid is better at D then Lidstrom (and just so you know I am not saying Hammer is Lidstrom level at D)? The two stats you keep bring up to say Smid is better then Hammer would then also mean he should be much better then Lids as well. Thing is that Hammer and Smid play a completely different style of D which is why you can't just look at hits and blocked shots.
I agree with this and I really don't like the Hawks.
Hjalmarsson is a positional Dman. These guys last longer and dont eastily get out of position by trying to throw a big hit

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
You guys are dealing with Bowman. You aren't getting hosed.
Yep just like the Wild's GM or Caps GM totally dominated him in the Leddy and Brouwer deals

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

Its not really about watching Hammer play... It is about watching Smid play last year and knowing how good he is. I dont buy the "far better skater + better positional" part. Smid is excellent at both and was Edmonton's best overall Dman by a large margin.
You can talk up 'Hammer' all you want but unless we are getting someone in the range of M.Staal, Yandle or Tyutin we know we are not getting someone better then Smid.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
MPS and 2013 1st? I just really don't like MPS or Gagner
Hammer isn't worth a 2013 1st. That draft is deep beyond belief. And I doubt anything gets done with Gagner as the centerpiece, I'm sure the Oil are higher on him (specifically his upside) than Chicago is. Edmonton would probably be wanting Hammer + for Gagner.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Are you trying to say that Smid is only better on a stat sheet? Because Smid's value comes from every area that can't be seen on a stat sheet. His offensive totals are abismal actually.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Parise9Crosby87

im sure gagner is involved

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
zeus3007*

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
I hate the Oilers and I hate the Hawks. I hate them equally.
Hjalmarsson IS better than Smid ...and a bit better than Schultz imo.

No one overrates players like EDM fans do on here. If guys like Smid Schultz Petry Gagner were as good as oiler fans think they are...then they wouldnt have picked 1ST overall 3 years in a row HAHAHAH

In response to the trade offer made a few posts up.
Hjalmarsson < Gagner + MPS
Hawks would have to add something....nothing substantial..but they'd have to add...maybe a 2nd? or frolik? not sure.
I don't think this guy really understands how hockey works. The Oilers picking first three years in a row means that two guys who weren't even full time Oilers until this year are bad players? And one who had a break out season couldn't have, because the Oilers still picked first overall? Give your head a shake kid.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:05 PM
hawksfan79

The Hawks defensive system pretty much tells d-men NOT to go for big hits, so honestly I wouldn't look at hits as an indicator of willingness to battle. My only issue is that I wouldn't thought he would've delivered a little more of an offensive game, but he hasn't really so far...but I guess if you're behind Keith and Seabrook, it's hard to get really good opportunities. He's not soft by any means and will block shots like a mofo, so I actually think the OP has a solid deal. But like I've said in other posts, I'd really only do this if the Hawks win the Suter sweeps.

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
im sure gagner is involved
Agree.. The Kane connection, CHI needing a #2C and this being the year of reunions, (Schenns, Staals) Gagner should be in the talks.

EDM fans are hoping it to be Gagner+ for Hammer + McNeill
CHI fans are hoping it to be Hammer+ for Gagner + MPS

A straight across swap should help both clubs

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Gagner, potter and paajarvi for McNeill and hammer.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
No from Edmonton, too much.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Agree.. The Kane connection, CHI needing a #2C and this being the year of reunions, (Schenns, Staals) Gagner should be in the talks.

EDM fans are hoping it to be Gagner+ for Hammer + McNeill
CHI fans are hoping it to be Hammer+ for Gagner + MPS

A straight across swap should help both clubs
How exactly does trading for small C who isn't any good at faceoffs (The Hawks biggest issue up the middle) going to help Hawks?

Old
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Quote:
yeah there's no way we'll dealing McNeill in a trade for Gagner as the best player coming back.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hawks get ripped off

A subpar C , A #6/7 dman and a struggling wing prospect (Hawks have enough wing prospects as well in system) for one of our better C prospects and a top 4 dman

No thanks

Old
06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
MPS and 2013 1st? I just really don't like MPS or Gagner
Edmonton would never do this.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I'd do Hammer for Gagner straight up.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Beerfish

The oilers will be stupid to give up on mps unless he is in a package for an A grade top 2 Dman. The oilers have 3,4,5 types already.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

MPS + 2nd/3rd next year for Hjalmarsson sounds like a deal I would really like

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote