HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Report: Isles offered all picks to Jackets for No. 2 [Per NHL.com]

Old
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Ashley

vCash: 500
The trade isn't as bad as most people think. People should start thinking.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Both GM's should be fired immediately
You think CBJ would look different had they done that?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Howson's the bigger idiot for not taking it, in my opinion. They'd have to be extremely sold on Murray, the gap between him and Reinhardt/Rielly isn't THAT big.
I agree 100% and just told my buddy the same ****.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

The two biggest morons in the GM chair. Howson is absolutely stupid for not taking this and Snow is a dumb ass for even offering it. Wow. I don't understand how anybody could be a fan of either organization. I feel sorry for their fans.

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
WreckItRask

I'm not going to blindly proclaim that Howsen was an idiot for not accepting, but I do believe he should have for one simple reason...he could have virtually controlled the 2012 draft, as well as acquired major pieces for the 2013 draft. He doesn't have to keep all 12 picks and select players with each of them. For the entire rest of the draft he could have moved up to get any player they coveted at a particular spot. Additionally, he could have moved some of those picks for 2013 picks in higher rounds than the 2012 pick.

To me, a good and creative GM takes this trade and uses all these picks to work the draft to his advantage. If you're worth your salt as a GM you could impact your club in a major way with that many picks...regardless of the rounds. Not to mention you're still getting an impact guy at 4.

WreckItRask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
TSA0402

Before this deal came out : Columbus can't draft, they should trade all their picks for proven players.

After this deal came out : Columbus is crazy, they should have traded their safer draft pick for many more draft picks.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I don't know what to be more shocked by: the fact that it was offered, or the fact that it wasn't accepted.
Exactly. One of them needs to be fired for offering that and the other for not taking it.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
I'm not going to blindly proclaim that Howsen was an idiot for not accepting, but I do believe he should have for one simple reason...he could have virtually controlled the 2012 draft, as well as acquired major pieces for the 2013 draft. He doesn't have to keep all 12 picks and select players with each of them. For the entire rest of the draft he could have moved up to get any player they coveted at a particular spot. Additionally, he could have moved some of those picks for 2013 picks in higher rounds than the 2012 pick.

To me, a good and creative GM takes this trade and uses all these picks to work the draft to his advantage. If you're worth your salt as a GM you could impact your club in a major way with that many picks...regardless of the rounds. Not to mention you're still getting an impact guy at 4.
That would require Howson making a trade almost in every round.

No GM is that active on draft day. They usually make 1 or 2 trades and are done.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I already posted this on our board, and on the prospect board thread on this.

1) It has been said for two months that Edmonton was taking one of Yakupov, Murray, or Reinhart.
2) Murray was added to Team Canada for the World Championships, presumably to see how he stacked up against older professional players. A major part of the braintrust for that team is in Edmonton.
3) All the way up until an hour before the first pick, it was being reported that Edmonton was taking Murray. Specifically, I recall Craig Button saying that Murray was going 1st.
4) It can be deduced that Edmonton was either going to take Yakupov first, or that they were trying to convince somebody to overpay to move up to 1st overall. Howson himself said that Edmonton's asking price for 1st was extremely high.
5) If the Islanders really wanted Murray and were looking at Edmonton taking him, then it stands to reason that they would have offered the Oilers this very package. With Edmonton getting someone to overpay for 1st, and being able to get Reinhart 4th, it would have been a very successful draft indeed.
6) Edmonton and the Islanders did NOT trade. Therefore, it can also be deduced that this offer was never on the table. Not at 1st, not at 2nd, not anywhere.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Go Wings

Well there is a reason these 2 franchises are considered 2 of the worst run in the league and thus situation is further proof of that.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Also, the Islanders have reportedly offered this before to St. Louis and St. Louis refused.
Link?

I know you're trying to downplay Howson turning this down, but he should have taken it and run. The only reason I can see that he didn't was that he had no faith in his scouting staff being able to make the trade worth while. Considering he fired them all right after, this is probably the case.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Wow, that's terrible if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I don't know what to be more shocked by: the fact that it was offered, or the fact that it wasn't accepted.
^

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Many are unloading on #CBJ GM Scott Howson and #Isles GM Garth Snow for Snow's "take my draft" offer and Howson's refusal. But so much ...... to consider. The #CBJ did not agree with others who thought the cluster of defensemen were interchangeable. They liked Murray by far ..... the best out of that group. That, plus the fact that the draft - alread thin - because supermodel thin from the 2nd round on, made ...it relatively easy for them to decline. Essentially, Howson and Snow agreed Murray was by far the best defenseman available. Were they right? Nobody knows for at least a few years.

Last edited by CBJBrassard16: 06-25-2012 at 04:12 PM.
CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post

Couldn't have said it any better.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
boredmale

Their is a few sources saying that the all for 1 was contingent on Nail falling to #2

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Purple Hayes

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...cks-trade.html

But what else do you get with those picks? Not much, if history is any indication. From 1990-2008, there were 114 players selected in spots numbered 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. Do you know how many played 400 NHL games?

Seven.

They are: Weight, Kirk Maltby, Lindsay, Travis Moen, Oleg Kvasha, Shawn Bates and Krzysztof Oliwa. Among the 2000-era selections, the only ones to appear in 100 and still be in the NHL: Moen, Mark Fayne and Michal Neuvirth. Other than that, you'll recognize Ryan Stoa (Colorado), Brian Strait (Pittsburgh), Chad Johnson (Rangers) and Mattias Ritola, who left Tampa to play in Europe.

Purple Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

You'd think this is enough evidence for Bettman to just close up shop in Columbus and on the Island and just roll with a 28 team league.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I wish it happened just for the lulz

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:18 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
So this turns out to be true after all...

I'm now convince there are people on HF that would be better GM than theses two idiots.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Mustang2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Their is a few sources saying that the all for 1 was contingent on Nail falling to #2
1) This makes alot more sense.

2) I love all of the asinine Snow comments in this thread. People are just making blind comments to follow along the bash the Isles mentality. Garth has done a good job since getting the GM job. Streit, Moulson, and Grabner area three of the better steals in the league. Can any of you ignorant Snow haters tell me one thing Garth has done that really affected the team in a bad way??

Blame Wang if you want to make fun of the Isles office but Garth had done a good job with the limited budget and idioticness of Wang on his shoulder every minute.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Kesler View Post
So this turns out to be true after all....
Yes because the article quotes the guy that originally came up with the rumor(Columbus beat writer) so it's now 100% true.

That's the equivalent of me saying bananas are blue and somebody quotes me, then saying well there is now 2 people who say bananas are blue so it must be true.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Mustang2750

Standard HF board overrating prospects and draft picks. Tsk tsk

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
nickschultzfan

Columbus' rejection is made worse by the fact that they spend 5 picks on 3 goalies. It's like the team is actively avoiding getting better.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Standard HF board overrating prospects and draft picks. Tsk tsk
Interesting thought here. Do you know how many legends, superstars, all-stars, and first line players have been acquired via draft picks?

99% of them.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

For the record, the word on Twitter is that Wang circumvented Snow and offered it.

Snow may be many things, but about the draft, he's pretty solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
You'd think this is enough evidence for Bettman to just close up shop in Columbus and on the Island and just roll with a 28 team league.
UH......nope.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote