HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM interested in Hjalmarsson

Old
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
lefty2time*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I

I don't think this guy really understands how hockey works. The Oilers picking first three years in a row means that two guys who weren't even full time Oilers until this year are bad players? And one who had a break out season couldn't have, because the Oilers still picked first overall? Give your head a shake kid.
I"m saying, if their players were as good as their fans say they are..then they WOULDNT finish last in the league year after year. What i said has nothing to do with the guys they drafted. Give YOUR head a shake buddy.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.
lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:22 PM
joe89

MPS is only 21. On most teams, now would be the time to take the next step. He was pretty rushed in due to a very poor Oilers team in 10/11, and now he's back to square one because he wasn't eased in. Just because you're a first round pick doesn't mean you have to make immediate impact, but so it goes when you expect prospects to actually lead your team. Exciting at first yes, but eventually things crash land because they're not ready to do so.

Del Zotto is a perfect comparison who was somewhat rushed in, then crashed and spent time last year in the AHL, only to get on track this season. Ask Rangers fans what they thought of MDZ after last season, and it's very similar to what Oilers fans feel towards MPS now. MPS will get back on track eventually, just let it take its natural course and don't force it.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
MPS and 2013 1st?
Are we still talking about Hjalmarsson here? Wow.

Oilers would never do that. Hjalmarsson isn't that good.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:25 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The oilers will be stupid to give up on mps unless he is in a package for an A grade top 2 Dman. The oilers have 3,4,5 types already.
HAHAHAHA show me a team that would give a top pairing No.2 Dman for MPS. That better be some "package" you're sending along with MPS to get a D of that caliber.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
OilerFan4Life

For a guy nicknamed "The Hammer" by Chicago fans he sure is soft.

With that said, he'd easily improve our d.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Qrispy

Would rather not trade MPS. He still has a lot of potential.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:34 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Hammer is not soft. He just plays a smart game, he sometimes gets all Kronwall on guys, but make no mistake he is a positional shot blocking workhorse type ala Volchenkov

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
I hate the Oilers and I hate the Hawks. I hate them equally.
Hjalmarsson IS better than Smid ...and a bit better than Schultz imo.

No one overrates players like EDM fans do on here. If guys like Smid Schultz Petry Gagner were as good as oiler fans think they are...then they wouldnt have picked 1ST overall 3 years in a row HAHAHAH

In response to the trade offer made a few posts up.
Hjalmarsson < Gagner + MPS
Hawks would have to add something....nothing substantial..but they'd have to add...maybe a 2nd? or frolik? not sure.
Smid is better than Hjalms. And it is pretty obvious who I root for.

99 steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
debonair399

Quote:
HAHAHAHA show me a team that would give a top pairing No.2 Dman for MPS. That better be some "package" you're sending along with MPS to get a D of that caliber.
MPS wouldn't even land you a top 4 defenseman.

debonair399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Hjalmarsson and Frolik for Gagner and MPS?
I'd do it.

99 steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:39 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Settle down, there's no need for over the top screaming laughs. Makes you come across like a child. That and your ridiculous analysis

Anyway, it appears that Gagner is on the block to trade for a defenseman. Any rumor surrounding the Oil and trade talks are likely to revolve around him.

MSP + Gagner is too much.
I'd guess that from the Oilers POV the highest they are likely offering is Gagner + 2nd/3rd.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:40 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
The Hawks defensive system pretty much tells d-men NOT to go for big hits, so honestly I wouldn't look at hits as an indicator of willingness to battle. My only issue is that I wouldn't thought he would've delivered a little more of an offensive game, but he hasn't really so far...but I guess if you're behind Keith and Seabrook, it's hard to get really good opportunities. He's not soft by any means and will block shots like a mofo, so I actually think the OP has a solid deal. But like I've said in other posts, I'd really only do this if the Hawks win the Suter sweeps.
His block shot totals didn't come close to Smid's or Schultz and Petry wasn't to far behind Hammer's. Someone on the coaching staff didn't tell Brent Seabrook about the hitting policy.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:43 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
His block shot totals didn't come close to Smid's or Schultz and Petry wasn't to far behind Hammer's. Someone on the coaching staff didn't tell Brent Seabrook about the hitting policy.
A+ Favorite post. Would LOL again.

Then again, I do love me some Seabrook and the the way he plays. Totally biased.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Hawkaholic

No interest in Gagner, ever.

..no real interest in MPS either, unless it includes one hell of a prospect or pick.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
No interest in Gagner, ever.

..no real interest in MPS either, unless it includes one hell of a prospect or pick.
Want to get lit up for another 8 pointer do you?

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:57 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Settle down, there's no need for over the top screaming laughs. Makes you come across like a child. That and your ridiculous analysis

Anyway, it appears that Gagner is on the block to trade for a defenseman. Any rumor surrounding the Oil and trade talks are likely to revolve around him.

I'd guess that from the Oilers POV the highest they are likely offering is Gagner + 2nd/3rd.
I cannot see Gagner on the block, unless the Oilers have someone else to be the 2nd line C. Please don't say Hor**** as a option.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
debonair399

Quote:

I'm sorry but you're delusional if you think MPS + Gagner..... or Gagner + 2nd/3rd is going to land you a #2 d-man.

Top-pairing d-men are in short supply. Teams that have them want more of them and aren't going to trade them for Gagner + MPS.

Below-average, smallish 2nd line centers and prospects like MPS who at this point looks like a 2nd line forward at best but possibly a third line speedy checker......... are in contrast a dime a dozen.

If you want a top-pairing #2 d-man, you need to start with a top-line forward and probably have to add to that.

debonair399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Slvrdwn

I wouldn't mind giving gagner a shot at the hawks #2 spot. atraight up swap should get it done realistically, what would edm add if the hawks threw in pirri as a (very close to, if not already) nhl ready C prospect. would make the loss of gagner a little better i'd imagine.

Last edited by Slvrdwn: 06-25-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Slvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrdwn View Post
I wouldn't mind giving gagner a shot at the hawks #2 spot. atraight up swap should get it done realistically, what would edm add if the hawks threw in pirri as a (very close to, if not already) nhl ready C prospect. would make the loss of gagner a little better i'd imagine.
The Oilers would probably have more interest in player like beach then pirri

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

The main problem with the trading of Gagner (22) and MPS (21) is that they are too young, and still have potential to become much more valuable than they currently are. This fruit is just not ripe.

Fans of other teams are correct to undervalue them, as they really havent proven much yet. In the same respect oiler fans see the potential that they have, and do not want to give up on them, unless they get the fair value that encompasses that potential.

The oilers do not need "hammer", they need a legit top pairing guy. We have 4, second pairing D-men, and when people say that Edmonton needs defense, what they really should be saying is, Edmonton needs a top pairing D man.

IMO neither of MPS or Gagner are included unless it is a top pairing guy coming back. For someone like that you start throwing in 1sts and top end prospects to make the deal happen. But not for Hjalmarsson.

Karsa Orlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Slvrdwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
The main problem with the trading of Gagner (22) and MPS (21) is that they are too young, and still have potential to become much more valuable than they currently are. This fruit is just not ripe.

Fans of other teams are correct to undervalue them, as they really havent proven much yet. In the same respect oiler fans see the potential that they have, and do not want to give up on them, unless they get the fair value that encompasses that potential.

The oilers do not need "hammer", they need a legit top pairing guy. We have 4, second pairing D-men, and when people say that Edmonton needs defense, what they really should be saying is, Edmonton needs a top pairing D man.

IMO neither of MPS or Gagner are included unless it is a top pairing guy coming back. For someone like that you start throwing in 1sts and top end prospects to make the deal happen. But not for Hjalmarsson.
this goes without saying, but unless you want to take a run at a prospect with potential to fill that gap down the road, you'll need quite a bit more than gagner and mps to attain him. Hjalmarsson is a great complementary defenseman who may not be a #1-2 guy, but he's definitely one the better #3 guys around, all while still young enough to continue some development.

I'd do hammer for gagner straight up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
The Oilers would probably have more interest in player like beach then pirri
wouldn't mind adding beach either, although i'd like him to get a solid shot at our 3rd line this year with bolland and shaw and it seems like hes poised to get that shot finally. i started with pirri due to the fact that he's a C and figured you'd need one coming back.

Slvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debonair399 View Post
I'm sorry but you're delusional if you think MPS + Gagner..... or Gagner + 2nd/3rd is going to land you a #2 d-man.
Top-pairing d-men are in short supply. Teams that have them want more of them and aren't going to trade them for Gagner + MPS.

Below-average, smallish 2nd line centers and prospects like MPS who at this point looks like a 2nd line forward at best but possibly a third line speedy checker......... are in contrast a dime a dozen.

If you want a top-pairing #2 d-man, you need to start with a top-line forward and probably have to add to that.
He's referring to Hammer. I don't think even delushional Chicago fans believe he's a top pairing....

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hawks get ripped off

A subpar C , A #6/7 dman and a struggling wing prospect (Hawks have enough wing prospects as well in system) for one of our better C prospects and a top 4 dman

No thanks
Wow.

Gagner - Subpar Centreman
Paajarvi - Struggling Wing Prospect

McNeill - Better C Prospect
Hjalmarsson - Top 4 D-Man

Homer much?

If McNeill becomes as good as Gagner is now, you could - arguably - consider him a successful pick.

I think there is a tiny bit of an overvalue of Hjalmarsson in this thread.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Get in line with Buffalo, Ottawa, San Jose and New Jersey hehe

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Agree.. The Kane connection, CHI needing a #2C and this being the year of reunions, (Schenns, Staals) Gagner should be in the talks.

EDM fans are hoping it to be Gagner+ for Hammer + McNeill
CHI fans are hoping it to be Hammer+ for Gagner + MPS

A straight across swap should help both clubs
Not going to comment on the value - but IMO the Hawks don't get better by the trade. The Hawks do have a big hole at #2 center - but IMO that's not addressed by adding a guy who is below average at face-off's, physical presence, and defensive positioning. Offensively - he's a decent #2 guy, but IMO he's not a #2 center on a play-off team. (And I like Gagner - I just don't think he brings enough of the non-scoring aspects of the game to be an good #2 center).

Then add in the Hawks would have to have a 2nd pair of Oduya & Leddy, and the blueline defensively outside of Keith & Seabrook would be a wasteland.

I have a hard time seeing how trading Hjalmarsson improves the Hawks, unless they've got another trade/UFA signing pending.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote