HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Why isn't Hockey big in Britain or France?

Old
05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Similar in Canada. We have tons of die hard NFL fans but I remember parents and kids being pissed when we had hockey on Super Bowl Sunday...
I was actually being sarcastic about everyone being "massive fans" because the superbowl is the only time they watch it and they post on facebook thinking they know everything

But anyway, it still proves the NFL is not hated because everyone loves the superbowl.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I was actually being sarcastic about everyone being "massive fans" because the superbowl is the only time they watch it and they post on facebook thinking they know everything

But anyway, it still proves the NFL is not hated because everyone loves the superbowl.
That's what I mean, it's the same **** here and people think Superbowl > hockey. They won't watch any game the entire season... but the Superbowl?!!? Drop everything lol

Anything > Hockey in Canada is automatically strange

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:40 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Probably a generation gap, during the superbowl this year the whole of my facebook friends list (400+ and from different areas of the country) were suddenly massive NFL fans.
It was funny as **** seeing people use NA sports terms like specialty teams etc on facebook then asking them what they thought it meant.

Also the NFL game in London only sells out for the spectacle of the occasion, a good 70/80% of people that go will just attend to say they did, they wont probably ever watch a NFL game until the Superbowl.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:44 AM
villevalo

To add why hockey isn't popular here, it doesn't help that our country has a particularly poor winter sport following too. Countries like Italy and France have hosted the winter Olympics, it simply couldn't happen here.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
I'll talk about the market I know that is France.

First you have to know that sports don't hold the news as they do in NA. There are only a few sport-only chanels with low budgets, few TV rights. Nothing to compare with the Sportsnet, TSN and RDS of Canada with half the population.

Sports in France have very few exposure. Even major soccer teams aren't that exposed. The TV rights are held by only a few so the exposure is very low. Some teams with top 5 budgets evolve in ridiculous stadiums where only passionates will come. Forget the game experience of the Bell Centre and the Yankee stadium where only getting in worth paying.

So if this assessment is made of soccer, can you guess what kind of exposure hockey can get? Tony Parker was more known for dating Eva Longoria than for the NBA MVP that he is, people started to know who Sebastien Loeb was after his 6th consecutive WRC title, and Joakim Noah is the son of Yannick who plays basketball somewhere in the USA.

But I'm hopeful that things can change in the future with the arrival on june 1st of a major sports-only network of two, chanels beIn Sport 1 and 2, financed by Al Jazeera with strong ambitions.

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Mathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
France and Italy are in the top group of the WC this year despite most of their top players being poached to play for Swiss and German leagues.
I'll reverse this question.
When will soccer make that big break through in Canada even though CSA has 300,000 more registered players than Hockey Canada. Yeah the 3 MLS teams get some TV coverage.....but compared to hockey.......
Socce has very little tradition in Canada, yet in the space of 5 years since its 3 pro clubs joined MLS they all averaging 20,000 (Montreal actually averaging 36,000 this first season but it will go down once they begin playing most games at their own stadium).

Comparing soccer in Canada vs hockey in France/England/Italy will only make hockey look bad.

Mathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Soccer in Canada is booming. It's an easy sport to put money into because it's rather cheap.
My university's soccer team is ranked near the top of the CIS every year, some of the players have even represented their country at the World Cup. And yet, we don't even have a hockey team at our University...

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Trevor3

Quote:
Soccer in Canada is booming. It's an easy sport to put money into because it's rather cheap.
My university's soccer team is ranked near the top of the CIS every year, some of the players have even represented their country at the World Cup. And yet, we don't even have a hockey team at our University...
University hockey in Canada is not much a measure of anything. Most universities are in cities with CHL teams which are the main draw. CIS teams recruit players who have gone through the junior system and been passed over by the pros, so basically you are getting a relatively equal product without the selling point of seeing a future NHLer. There are always exceptions to the rule and some teams are well supported and hey, there was Joel Ward.

Soccer has always been a big sport among kids, not many of us didn't play soccer when we were in elementary school. Just compare it, $50 to register for soccer plus some cleats, shin guards and a pair of shorts. $250 for hockey plus hundreds in gear. The difference is that soccer is a summer sport and once kids get into high school they stop playing and get summer jobs and find other ways to pass the time. In the dead of winter there isn't much to do except play hockey and go curling.

Kids may be playing it in high numbers for sure, but they don't stick with it. It's not a really serious sport, most play it for fun as a pastime.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Blank Space

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
Many people from the UK and Australia seem to have a very negative view on hockey due to the helmet and other protective gear. They liken it to (american) football, which generally has the same amount of hate. I don't think many of them actually realize the speed and intensity the game is played at compared to soccer and rugby....
Difference I consider between (American) football and ice hockey is that in hockey, a lot of the equipment you wear is to protect you against the solid rubber puck moving at 150+ km/h and the rock hard ice, not so much collisions with the other players like in football.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:32 PM
PuddlesTheDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
It was funny as **** seeing people use NA sports terms like specialty teams etc on facebook then asking them what they thought it meant.

Also the NFL game in London only sells out for the spectacle of the occasion, a good 70/80% of people that go will just attend to say they did, they wont probably ever watch a NFL game until the Superbowl.
I'd put those numbers the other way round, I went to the Bucs-Pats game a couple of years ago and most of the people there had some kind of NFL jersey or apparel on and there was a lot of trash talking and stuff where I was sat.

Maybe about 20% or so are there for the occasion, but by now with it being an annual thing the NFL fans are the one's that get the tickets mostly.

PuddlesTheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:59 AM
BMann

The organizing body for hockey in the UK is a joke for a start.

As is the claim that we are not tough enough to play the sport. Play some rugby union and league.

There simply is no long term vision for growing the sport at the grass roots.

It can be done as in other 'minority sports'. Track and road cycling, rowing, gymnastics, swimming have all shown the benefit of a identifying talent, increasing junior numbers, having more facilities ie pools and better focused coaching at all ages and hand in gand with it more funding from Sport GB and the Lottery.

As a result performances have picked up and they are now in the national consciousness and in turn attract more kids into the sport.

Ice hockey doesn't have any national exposure at all. Not even the NHL. At least the NFL is there in the public's mind although the sport will always remain a very minority sport here in player numbers, people are aware of the sport through coverage on the BBC.

Domestic hockey used to be broadcast on the BBC. Nowadays it is shunted into the wilds of Sky. Ditto for the NHL on ESPN UK.

If there was more coverage on terrestrial channels it would help. As it is the hockey public is confined to the old heartlands. Many major connurbations don't even have a team ie Liverpool or until very recently like Bristol.

The League structure, import rules, clubs losing rinks, relocating sides needlessly ie Durham Wasps, the lack of rinks, the cost of equipment are just part of the myriad of factors that have stunted the sport's development.

Without any sucess Sport GB is reluctant to invest.

And without sucess no parent is going to tell their kid that hockey is a potential career going forward. Association football, rugby, cricket all pay well now and other sports like those I mentioned are seeing a rapid rise in junior numbers.

Hockey could suceed in Britain as it has in Denmark or improved in Hungary.

What we need is a body not formed on selfish interests but one that has a plan for the sport and is willing to take the time to build from the bottom up.

Firstly more rinks. Subsidised equipment through lottery grants or something along those lines, better coaches brought in from abroad (while having our own learn from them)to identify talent and as with any sport national academies or centres of excellence within a focused national program that works with clubs not against them.

And better media visibility.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Alpine

If Prince Charles can play street hockey.....badly............
There's hope

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:

I know it's not the U.K. but I was in Dublin in November a few years ago and I was surprised that the locals I was with were all talking about the NFL regular season and had fantasy teams. They were all financial professionals and had all spent a little while living in New York though.

Quote:
I believe it will continue to grow as the country depends more on immigration for population growth now than it has in the past.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
clatchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
The organizing body for hockey in the UK is a joke for a start.
About time somebody said this. British ice hockey, on the whole, severely lacks professionalism and this includes the EIHL. I'm glad they've changed the format to two conferences of five teams, even if Belfast having to travel down south and splitting Yorkshire teams Hull and Sheffield is confusing.

I don't know about the development of the sport player-wise, but the fanbase could be improved easily. More mid-week games, face-off times in the afternoon instead of the evening (hey, my 18-26 year old friends would rather get drunk) and maybe even more mid-week games would boost attendance in my humble opinion. Definitely make it easier for me to get to the games without juggling shift work.

clatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatchie View Post
About time somebody said this. British ice hockey, on the whole, severely lacks professionalism and this includes the EIHL. I'm glad they've changed the format to two conferences of five teams, even if Belfast having to travel down south and splitting Yorkshire teams Hull and Sheffield is confusing.

I don't know about the development of the sport player-wise, but the fanbase could be improved easily. More mid-week games, face-off times in the afternoon instead of the evening (hey, my 18-26 year old friends would rather get drunk) and maybe even more mid-week games would boost attendance in my humble opinion. Definitely make it easier for me to get to the games without juggling shift work.
Improving attendance will not make a difference, some teams already get better attendances than teams in the KHL. Junior player development and cost of playing is the problem.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:44 AM
clatchie

heh, I often view problems with an eye towards my own club's problems too much. Improved development would be nice, but I get the feeling it needs to be a top-down improvement starting with forming a legitimate governing body.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Yes I agree about the governing body, Ice Hockey UK do literally nothing and then when it is time for them to actually do something (GB team international tournaments) even then they **** it up and get it wrong. The EIHA are also useless but they've got a lot more on their plate to be dealing with, one major thing that holds them back from making significant changes are the insurance companies.

You're obviously new here so just so you know, I'm an actual player and referee in the system.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:18 AM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Improving attendance will not make a difference, some teams already get better attendances than teams in the KHL. Junior player development and cost of playing is the problem.
improved attendence leads to more intrest, which leads to more money going into the sport, which hopefully leads to better development and more ice across the country.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
improved attendence leads to more intrest, which leads to more money going into the sport, which hopefully leads to better development and more ice across the country.
Increasing attendance in the top tier is just paving over the cracks. I'd honestly be surprised if the EIHL is even still here in 5 years time, history shows how unstable the top tier is.

I've been through all the problems with the system enough times in the other thread, I'm not doing it again. Change needs to start at the grass roots level, I say just let the EIHL do it's own thing, they don't see most of the players until they are 20 anyway, by that time it is too late.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
clatchie

Quote:
You're obviously new here so just so you know, I'm an actual player and referee in the system.
Aye, I figured digging through the forum. Yup, new to the sport as well as the forum, the UK version at least. 90% of what I know (or think I know) about the EIHL comes from just talking to match night staff and fans, or a couple of Avalanche fans who like the Steelers/Giants. So I fully expect to say something that'll get me put in my place at some point.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:25 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

Someone thinks their boots are very large.

I will challenge your claim to supremacy.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Someone thinks their boots are very large.

I will challenge your claim to supremacy.
You may laugh and troll now, but one day I will be in charge, just watch

I have been single handedly eliminating clutching and grabbing from English junior hockey, expect great things from me in the future

Old
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
It's too rough and tumble for the Brits and French to play, and I say that only half in jest. Germans, Russians & other various Slavs, they take to it like fish out of water. It's a North American and Central/Eastern European game, that's just the way that it is.
I see someone is from the shallow end.

Have you seen how the Brits play rugby?

Here in London and area, there is one arena--45 football stadiums, only one arena

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:15 AM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
I see someone is from the shallow end.

Have you seen how the Brits play rugby?

Here in London and area, there is one arena--45 football stadiums, only one arena
2 Arenas that have been used for hockey Wembley and the o2.

though the o2 hasn't been used for hockey since 2007 and Wembley hasn't been used for hockey since 1996.

but your point still stands.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:25 AM
villevalo

Might help London's case for a top league team if Wembley starts having the playoff finals again, perhaps a joint Elite and EPL weekend, might attract a few non hockey Londoners to it. Just a thought.