HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Mueller going to free agency

Old
06-25-2012, 07:02 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
After calming down a little bit I am still mad.

We keep Hunwick for 1.8M but let go of Mueller for 2.5M? The only guy who has any sort of chemistry with Duchene and is our best point trigger man?

Does that mean we will let go of Duchene as well? Looks like we rid ourselves of guys who are not the blue collar tough hard working kind of guys.

Just does not make sense.
Olver had chemistry with Duchene as well.

And why would they let Duchene go? Did you see the contract he just signed?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
After calming down a little bit I am still mad.

We keep Hunwick for 1.8M but let go of Mueller for 2.5M? The only guy who has any sort of chemistry with Duchene and is our best point trigger man?

Does that mean we will let go of Duchene as well? Looks like we rid ourselves of guys who are not the blue collar tough hard working kind of guys.

Just does not make sense.
Or that the team wasn't sure if he (Mueller) could come play a full season or if he'd be averaging sub-25 games a season for the forseeable future. People jump to conclusions much to quickly.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Drij

Not sure why people are so mad, it's not like hes a great player.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
He still has all the tools to be a first line winger. I'd say that makes him better than your post indicates.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:13 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

vCash: 50
Bye bye Wolski.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Bye bye Wolski.
I'm going to miss him.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
I think people are upset coz he was one of the few " pure skills wings " that we had and he had chemistry with Duchene. Plus, the fact that we were all hoping to see him bounce back from his concussion problems.

Last edited by Frenchy: 06-25-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typo
Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
They better re-sign him still, or this is stupidest move Sherman has done... Even ahead of re-signing Sacco (I think those are the only 2 stupid moves he's ever done)

Also, if anything, this lowers the Avs chances of getting Parise... Mueller is also a Minnesotan ... and can't imagine EJ is happy either, they train together in the off-season

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

Look what happened when we let Flash go.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Look what happened when we let Flash go.
I understood it better, because Flash had to go, because of his medical condition. Mueller just got healthy and he's getting canned. Just frustrated with whole situation. Waiting for so long to actually see what Mueller can do with proper training and health.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:28 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I think people are upset coz he was one on the few " pure skills wings " that we had and he had chemistry with Duchene. Plus, the fact that we were all hoping to see him bounce back from his concussion problems.
Exactly and I am especially mad cause I always try to figure out what the direction of our team is.

Overpaying for Jones ( this move on his own is fine), McLeod, Hunwick and maybe even Wilson slightly and letting go of Mueller and McClement does not signal that we are seriously trying to contend.

Its not like we dont have the capspace to gamble on Mueller.

I mean we should be the team gambling on guys like him.

Not forking over the money for our best PKer because we can replace him witch cheaper guys who are worse but still do the trick does not look like a contending move to me.

Thats all fine. If we are not ready to compete and need to suck for another year, I will take it.

But why re-sign Hunwick, Wilson, McLeod and to an extent even Jones and block the young guys.

I want to see loads of Elliott,Gaunce, Barrie, Malone, Olver and even Sgarbossa or Hishon.
Our d prospects should not have to play more than 3rd pairing minutes. But those minutes just got blocked. We basically ask them to step into a top4 role or bust. Thats not how a rebuilding team should handle it.

To me it looks like the same approach as last year.

Try to sucker the fans into believing that we can contend while staying at the capfloor and avoiding the moves necessary to improve.

Because of Landy and ROR it worked just fine last year. It might even work next year. Still makes me furious. We ve got a great young team with high potential. And I fear its getting wasted by management and especially ownership.

Last edited by JoemAvs: 06-25-2012 at 07:33 PM.
JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:28 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I understand why Avs did it, but still pissed that they did.

Mueller is such a great guy, it breaks my heart.

Let's hope Avs decide to retain his rights during this week.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Obviously the Avs let him go to make room for a better player:

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Obviously the Avs let him go to make room for a better player:

I dont get that line of thinking to be honest.

Look at the current Free Agency crop.

There is Parise

Than there is Semin

Than there are old guys who probably go ringchasing like Whitney, Doan, Smyth

Than there are guys like Parenteau who will get massively overpaid.

And they get massively overpaid because after them there is nothing. I mean really nothing. oh ok. Now youve got Mueller.....

Do you really believe we get Parise or Semin? I give us at best a 10-20 % chance at acquiring either one. Than you could still move Mueller for a 7th to the Islanders ( hyperbole he would get more)

Do you think we can get an old geezer?
The only viable option I can see signing with us would be maybe Ray Whitney. And the guy is 40. I wouldnt count on him for a season let alone for more. So why even acquire him? He will not fit in our long term plans and we will not win the cup next year if we dont sign Parise and Suter.

Do you want to overpay Parenteau and the likes?

McGinn-Stastny- Jones
Landeskog- RoR- Downie
Hejduk- Duchene- Olver
McLeod- Malone- Kobasew

EJ - X ( alibi signing by management in order to show the fans commitment a la overpaying Matt Carle)
ROB- Hejda
Wilson-Hunwick( maybe Barrie or Elliott if they somehow impress)

Varly
Giguere

Thats what we are going to see.
Nothing more.
Will be close to the capfloor and battle for the 8th seed and probably fall short. Just how management likes it....

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
He's a goner. Josh Kroenke just said they've decided to go in a different direction and when the concussion issues were brought up, he said there was stuff talked about behind closed doors that he didn't want to mention on TV.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
I was really hoping for mules to bounce back this season since he finally played a whole year without getting another concussion. I hope he murders the avs every game he plays against them. Sherm the worm better be spending some money for wingers this season. I forsee another season of cap floor hugging.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I understood it better, because Flash had to go, because of his medical condition. Mueller just got healthy and he's getting canned. Just frustrated with whole situation. Waiting for so long to actually see what Mueller can do with proper training and health.
That's the only reason I can imagine he WILL definitely return still. Keeping my hopes up.

Both he and Desjardins spoke highly of the organization for all of the support during recovery from injuries, Mueller obviously we saw during interviews. I see no reason to let a guy with that kind of skill just walk away, so hopefully it was mutually understood that Mueller should sign for a little less to earn a longer contract. Hopefully he shows loyalty to the organization, for showing loyalty in him.

But honestly, if he walks over a stupid 500k or something... shame on Sherman. Overpaying Jones, letting McClement walk and then letting Mueller walk would be ridiculous. If we're letting McClement go, there's no sense in not giving Mueller the money he would have made for a year at least.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
flyfysher

I hate this move at first glance. People have been on Duchene because of his lack of production from last season. If Mueller is not re-signed then what are we to expect of Duchene this upcoming season in terms of production? Given Hejduk's lack of production last year it does not bode well for Duchene. The Avs already needed another winger besides Mueller and now they have another hole to fill.

So what did the Avs get for trading away Wolski (a move I agreed with)? Mueller gone? Porter gone.

After all this time, Mueller appears to finally be healthy and it is now goodbye.

If, as some posters have posited, this move is to re-sign Mueller for less money then I am all for it. And if there remain legitimate issues with Mueller's health then I can understand and accept Sherman's decision.

But let us not forget that Olver also missed a significant amount of time due to a concussion. I believe the Avs will stick with Olver as they have repeatedly stated they are committed to a youth movement.

flyfysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Cosmonaut

I apologize in advance. I feel like a vulture circling a kill asking these questions, but I don't know too much about Mueller. Does he play center well or is he better off playing wing? Did he ever play with Flash? If so, did he have good chemistry with him? He seems to be a viable option for the Panthers if he really is testing free agency.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:00 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
He's a goner. Josh Kroenke just said they've decided to go in a different direction and when the concussion issues were brought up, he said there was stuff talked about behind closed doors that he didn't want to mention on TV.
Im a sad sad panda. I wish Peter nothing but the very best in his future, wherever it is.

Good luck Pete, we'll miss you.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
I apologize in advance. I feel like a vulture circling a kill asking these questions, but I don't know too much about Mueller. Does he play center well or is he better off playing wing? Did he ever play with Flash? If so, did he have good chemistry with him? He seems to be a viable option for the Panthers if he really is testing free agency.
Wing. No. N/A.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
No to both.

He does not play center anymore, and he never played with Flash.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
This doesn't shock me at all. Quite possibly Mueller was looking for longer term/more salary than the team were willing to give him. Not that I am saying that I am glad Mueller is gone (quite the opposite- his first goal after returning from injury last season was one of the highlights of my season). Obviously this is all speculation as to why he was not qualified, but whatever the case, I wish Mueller the best and hope he has a lengthy (and healthy) NHL career.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
1. He did not play center for us and it would be a mistake to put him there. He's not a good defensive player and he isn't a great skater either.

2. He never played with Flash.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
This doesn't shock me at all. Quite possibly Mueller was looking for longer term/more salary than the team were willing to give him. Not that I am saying that I am glad Mueller is gone (quite the opposite- his first goal after returning from injury last season was one of the highlights of my season). Obviously this is all speculation, but whatever the case, I wish Mueller the best and hope he has a lengthy (and healthy) NHL career.
The worst part is he would likely be a core player if it weren't for Blake.