HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs qualify 10 players

Old
06-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Uwey

vCash: 500
Darche is what 35yrs old. I would rather have someone a little bit younger.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm glad Andreas Engqvist and Brendan Nash were qualified.
Seriously? ReAlly? Engqvist is completely freakIng useless. He was so underwhelming when he played it was unreal. The man shows ZERO. Slow as molasses and never hits. I hope he leaves to go to europe

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I am surprised that Conboy wasn't back most of all, although I never got the full details about the injury and how bad it was, perhaps that played a part? I would have brought Masse back over Fortier easily, I like the way Masse plays and he showed good improvement each year, Fortier just couldn't stay healthy. I would have thought Mitera would have been back in a veteran role as a 6th or 7th D for Hamilton but he struggled most of the year so it's not a big surprise. Surprised on Blunden a little.

I had heard Bishop might not be back to play anymore due to the various injuries but never heard if that was true or not, so I didn't expect him back. Too bad as he was a hard worker and might have been a solid 4th liner for the Dogs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Darche is what 35yrs old. I would rather have someone a little bit younger.
There is a guy i would take over Darche who is 40 yrs old named Mike Knuble.

I would sign Mike Knuble for 1 year deal cheap, for 3rd 4th line net crasher and a versatile guy to have around . Over 1000 games played 540 pts,9 straight seasons of 20 goals or more.

Great in dressing room too.

6'3 /230 pounds

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
There is a reason Habs sunk, and it was that type of thinking .

No better ambassador than Steve Begin ....you get my point .

Darche is a great guy, but if you honestly look at entire NHL and say he is best as it get's? sorry.
It;s not good enough to be a great guy.....Habs need someone that can PRODUCE more.
We need someone who can put up 25-30 pt or more in a 3rd /4 line role .
Give him a front office job./
Darche is quite a bit better than Begin was, he's scoring rates are surprisingly good for a depth player and he doesn't suck defensively. Plus can slot into special teams roles when the depth chart is weak. Hard to get better value than that for under a million.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
onice

Quote:

I would sign Mike Knuble for 1 year deal cheap, for 3rd 4th line net crasher and a versatile guy to have around . Over 1000 games played 540 pts,9 straight seasons of 20 goals or more.

6'3 /230 pounds
Yeah but I'd put my money on Heinz ketchup beating him in a race.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I'm surprised about Conboy he's actually the type of player we've needed on our 4th line for the last couple of years. He started showing that he could score too last season but it's a shame that he missed the entire year cuz of injuries.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I laughed out loud.

The Blunden fan in the organization was RC (and he was a superfan of Blunden) and he's gone, so no surprise at all he was not given a QO.

Dudley and Bergevin were also in Chicago when Blunden crapped the bed as a high 2nd rounder, so that probably did not help his cause.
You're exactly right. We picked him up for nothing basically, and he had some tools that could have made a difference if he stayed healthy and had a chance to mesh with the bottom 6 guys. But, given his past with Bergevin, and the fact that he was injured and unproductive for a stretch last year, I'm not surprised Bergevin chose not to qualify him at this point. Thought he had some potential, but there's really no room for him moving forward anyway.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Yeah but I'd put my money on Heinz ketchup beating him in a race.
oh ya , bla bla ,,,.,.same thing before Robert Lang came to Montreal..

Same thing .He's too old and slow...Then when he came, people changed there tune .

Knuble got another year in his tank ,and plays very hard all 6'3 230 lbs of him out front of the opponents net,and you can't disrespect a guy who put up 9 years in a row of 20 goals or MORE.

Knuble vs Darche? no contest.

Heinz ketchup vs No Name ketchup

Knuble has said he is willing to take reduced minutes, and come in as a veteran , and a locker room guy.

He'd be great as a 3/4 liner and on power play .It's a huge upgrade for Habs.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-25-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Seriously? ReAlly? Engqvist is completely freakIng useless. He was so underwhelming when he played it was unreal. The man shows ZERO. Slow as molasses and never hits. I hope he leaves to go to europe
I swear some people around here expect guys to come in and dominate the league with their first cup of coffee. Engqvist is a good prospect who could be an effective third line centre, but he needs more time. He's still young.

Quote:
oh ya , bla bla ,,,.,.same thing before Robert Lang came to Montreal..

Same thing .He's too old and slow...Then when he came, people changed there tune .

Knuble got another year in his tank ,and plays very hard all 6'3 230 lbs of him out front of the opponents net,and you can't disrespect a guy who put up 9 years in a row of 20 goals or MORE.

Knuble vs Darche? no contest.

Heinz ketchup vs No Name ketchup

Knuble has said he is willing to take reduced minutes, and come in as a veteran , and a locker room guy.

He'd be great as a 3/4 liner and on power play .It's a huge upgrade for Habs.
Big fan of Knuble, always have been.

I think a line of Moen - Eller - Knuble could be interesting.

If we get some wing depth, (ie. top6 forward), we could use Moen - White - Knuble as well.

I'm big on Whitney, so let's just say he's the top-6 guy.

Whitney - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Palushaj
Moen - White - Knuble

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I'm really surprised for Fortier, Conboy and maybe Mitera.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I swear some people around here expect guys to come in and dominate the league with their first cup of coffee. Engqvist is a good prospect who could be an effective third line centre, but he needs more time. He's still young.

Big fan of Knuble, always have been.

I think a line of Moen - Eller - Knuble could be interesting.

If we get some wing depth, (ie. top6 forward), we could use Moen - White - Knuble as well.

I'm big on Whitney, so let's just say he's the top-6 guy.

Whitney - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Palushaj
Moen - White - Knuble
Engqvist is 25 in dec. zero points in 15 games albeit not a ton of ice. He is soft and slow. Not 4th line material at all and as I said too slow to be effective. Thr guy doesevt use his size. Btw no I dont expect him to dominate but he's never even contributed to one lousy goal. Gimme a break. Guess they need to fill 50 contracts. Good player for Hamilton

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:02 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Engqvist is 25 in dec. zero points in 15 games albeit not a ton of ice. He is soft and slow. Not 4th line material at all and as I said too slow to be effective. Thr guy doesevt use his size. Btw no I dont expect him to dominate but he's never even contributed to one lousy goal. Gimme a break. Guess they need to fill 50 contracts. Good player for Hamilton
Not all players become stars by 25. He didn't contribute much in his NHL games last year, but he wasnt horrible either.

He knows where to be defensively, he's a smart player. Needs some more time, IMO.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
He has played 105 total mins in the NHL so far, lol, and has already made pretty big strides adapting to the N.A. game over his first 2 seasons here. Has already turned into a 20+ goal scorer in the AHL, has polished his defensive game as well, and I'm still curious to see how much further he can develop.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I had a good laugh at the poster rambling on about how "useless" Enqvist is.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Talks to Goalposts

At the very least Geoffrion-Engqvist-Palushaj and St. Denis-Nash is a good veteren top 5 skaters to lead the Hamilton squad and be used in spot duty as injury fill-ins.

In the AHL Palushaj is an star forward, Engqvist a first line center, Nash and St. Denis are probably top pairing quality and Geoffrion is a top sixer.

Give the new talent coming in some shelter to develop behind.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:

6'3 /230 pounds
Would love Knuble on this team. Veteran presence, big, could still easily score 20+ and would come cheap. Yeah, he's coming off a mediocre season, but so did the rest of the Caps (except when it came to playoffs). He could make a Robert Lang-like return

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Conboy and Blunden are players we should have kept.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Gally11

I've watched Conboy play a few times with Hamilton I really thought we'd qualify him.. I dunno I guess I really thought he had a chance at a regular fourth line shift with the Habs in not so distant future.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Conboy and Blunden are players we should have kept.
Nothing special there. They can be easily replaced.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Dude, ask anybody that watched Hamilton play last year what Engqvist meant to that team....he is a big body who plays great D and has a history of putting up points, plus he is still young and adjusting. I really hope he get's a shot at 4th line C this year. He made big strides last year, there is such a thing as a late bloomer y'know.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
MXD

Please, no Mike Knuble. Marc Bergevin is probably a better skater at this point.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I think the long list of unqualified RFA's means that Bergevin is interested in building the team through free agency, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Well he cut two spare forwards and a bunch of AHL players. This doesn't really affect the NHL squad.

Anway, I'd rather build through the draft than free agency. We tried to build through free agency in 09 and basically everyone we signed is gone except for Gionta and Moen (if he stays).

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Hmmm not every player has to be top 6 scorer to be useful. Perhaps you should lower your expectations...

For starters look at how he progressed from year 1 in the AHL to year 2. We're not talking about a top prospect here but he showed very impressive improvement just over one year. IMO that is something to consider when we look at his NHL outlook and judgement on his short stint last season.

Worst case scenario he's going to be a top player again for the Dogs like he was last season where he was the Dogs best defensive forward and led the team in scoring. This will help the large crop of rookies. Best case scenario we have a 6'4'' defensive/PK 4th line center that is still 24 years old.

Helps organizational depth. Big picture wise, he's a nice piece to have.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I figure cutting a bit of that AHL depth was to fill in the holes with vets, as that team will really need a few.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote