HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading the Blue Jackets at the 2012 Draft

View Poll Results: Rating the 2012 Draft
A 11 13.10%
B 57 67.86%
C 10 11.90%
D 5 5.95%
F 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

vCash: 500
On the flip side, would not the Islanders be considered insane for making such an offer? In my book, that offer only confirms that Murray is a special player.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Many are unloading on #CBJ GM Scott Howson and #Isles GM Garth Snow for Snow's "take my draft" offer and Howson's refusal. But so much ...... to consider. The #CBJ did not agree with others who thought the cluster of defensemen were interchangeable. They liked Murray by far ..... the best out of that group. That, plus the fact that the draft - alread thin - because supermodel thin from the 2nd round on, made ...it relatively easy for them to decline. Essentially, Howson and Snow agreed Murray was by far the best defenseman available. Were they right? Nobody knows for at least a few years.

Last edited by CBJBrassard16: 06-25-2012 at 04:12 PM.
CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

CBC breakdown:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...cks-trade.html

Reading that article makes you really think about it. If Murray turns out to be another #2 overall success, turning down this trade will quickly be forgotten. I see the special aspects in Ryan Murray, so if the Jackets were set on him (and clearly the Isles wanted him), then I definitely think that this was a tougher decision than it may seem right off.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Shows how big a difference it is just between the 2nd overall and 4th overall draft picks in 75% of the drafts and why years of picking around 4th-8th overall havent helped the team.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It's true? It is? There's absolute confirmation. Let me click on that link....

"according to a report"

That's a funny way of confirming things.
Ok well, I'm not sure if you're doubting it or not but it wouldn't be on nhl.com if it wasn't true. Sure it doesn't tell who reported it but the nhl would look pretty stupid if they put something false like that on their website.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Puck Daddy gives their winners and losers list.

As for the Jackets....................

Quote:
Columbus Blue Jackets: Losers. They traded too much to get a mediocre young backup in Sergei Bobrovsky, believing his rookie season to be more indicative of his potential. That's never bit them in the ass before, right Steve Mason? Oh and they must have loved their draft, because right after it, they fired four scouts. What an organization.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-36669

Old
06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Agreed on everything except the Nash thing. I don't want him to be pushed around to deal Nash. you meet our demands or you dont get him.
True but I think he's waiting for the perfect offer which a lot seems don't seem to want to give. He wants to get rid of Nash so he's gotta lighten up a tad on what he's asking for. He seems to think all these teams are at a bidding war going crazy to get Nash, when yet when they hear his demands they're just like "**** this guy, he's crazy" and they hang up the phone. Again no offense to any of you guys or your team, I'm just hear to have a simple, civilized debate. Just stating that before things potentially get hairy.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:23 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Puck Daddy gives their winners and losers list.

As for the Jackets....................

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-36669
Before I even checked, I knew that was Ryan Lambert! Anyone who has ever visited that site will tell you that he has never had a single good word for the CBJ. Then again, his job is to try to be amusing and whip up traffic for the blog. Sometimes, he even is chuckle-worthy (like sponge-worthy but completely different).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Before I even checked, I knew that was Ryan Lambert! Anyone who has ever visited that site will tell you that he has never had a single good word for the CBJ. Then again, his job is to try to be amusing and whip up traffic for the blog. Sometimes, he even is chuckle-worthy (like sponge-worthy but completely different).
Yeah, he's pretty much a taint.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Though some like to dismiss Jeff Little as too conservative, I always enjoy his views, whether I agree or not. Here's his review of he past few days:

http://tenminutemisconduct.com/?p=1733

Old
06-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Meh, I just threw it up there for everyones consumpton. I have seen so many different opinions, both good and bad, on the Bob trade, that my head is spinning.

I guess we really will just have to wait and see how he does.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Anisimovs AK

What I'm trying to figure out is how drafting a .5 points per game forward from the junior ranks is being overlooked. Why draft someone that has no shot at making the league?

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Yeah, he's pretty much a taint.
With that being said, what exactly did he write that is way off base?

Old
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Though some like to dismiss Jeff Little as too conservative, I always enjoy his views, whether I agree or not. Here's his review of he past few days:

http://tenminutemisconduct.com/?p=1733
I usually find at least one thing to disagree with in Jeff's columns. Not so this time around.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimovs AK View Post
With that being said, what exactly did he write that is way off base?
That firing the scouting staff (and providing severance, even though their contracts ran out on the 30th of June) indicated dissatisfaction with the recent draft? That's the kind of lazy insult that Lambert specializes in.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
That firing the scouting staff (and providing severance, even though their contracts ran out on the 30th of June) indicated dissatisfaction with the recent draft? That's the kind of lazy insult that Lambert specializes in.
Yes it is, but his main points (lackluster draft, the org is a joke) are accurate.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
What I'm trying to figure out is how drafting a .5 points per game forward from the junior ranks is being overlooked. Why draft someone that has no shot at making the league?

Old
06-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Once you get past the #4 pick, not really.
You know, after thinking more about this, maybe its not so outrageous. I'll retract my "sanity" statement I do like Murray, and Galchenyuk went 3rd, so the drop off after 3 is considerable imo. Howson is hitching what little credibility he has on Murray. I hope he's right this time.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:28 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes it is, but his main points (lackluster draft, the org is a joke) are accurate.
I'll give you half credit, the organization is certainly a joke, but it's much too soon to make an intelligent judgement on the draft (not that Lambert is qualified, anyway).

Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I usually find at least one thing to disagree with in Jeff's columns. Not so this time around.
ditto, and he's spot on about Bobrovsky imo. We gave up little of anything in that deal. The only thing that irked me was Howson's statement of contentment with the possibility of a Mason/Bobrovsky tandem going into the season opener...or is that related to his Nash-Trade poker face?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Explain your opposition

Old
06-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Before I even checked, I knew that was Ryan Lambert!
Creepy. Exactly the same here. "Hmm. Snide, dismissive, deprecating, and lots of Did Not Do The Research. Lambert? *click* Lambert."

(That said, I still love love love his column immediately following our win versus Canada in the 2010 Olympics. 'Twas truly a thing of beauty. )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Creepy. Exactly the same here. "Hmm. Snide, dismissive, deprecating, and lots of Did Not Do The Research. Lambert? *click* Lambert."

(That said, I still love love love his column immediately following our win versus Canada in the 2010 Olympics. 'Twas truly a thing of beauty. )
Oh, I read him often and am much less scathing than the posters in his comments! I just know what to expect when Columbus is mentioned.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Explain your opposition
Points aren't everything in hockey. Especially not for a 17 year old kid ... it's not like we drafted him in the first round. And, on the flip side, there are plenty of players who dominate offensively as 17 year olds, but turn out to do nothing in the NHL. Pavel Brendl still holds numerous records for 17 year olds in the WHL, as a matter of fact, and went 4th overall in 1999 ... while a guy selected in the 7th round of that same draft, who scored only 28 points in 37 games, has gone on to a likely hall of fame career (Henrik Zetterberg).

I'm not saying that we've drafted a Henrik Zetterberg here, but at least give them a chance to develop and see what we have.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Oh, I read him often and am much less scathing than the posters in his comments! I just know what to expect when Columbus is mentioned.
Or any team is mentioned, for that matter. Hell, last I checked he's still introducing Detroit in his summaries as Presented By Amway. That grew stale months ago (as much as I enjoyed it at the time).

He's just a pro troll, really.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote